Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Obituary: Greg Fuquay by Chipps
  • chipps

Another massive influence on my life has left us. I’ve just found out that Greg Fuquay passed away this weekend. Greg was a bike frame builder, based …

By chipps

Get the full story here:

Obituary: Greg Fuquay by Chipps

sillyoldman

Very sorry to hear.

oxym0r0n

This is very sad to hear – no doubt influenced by your bike @chipps, I enquired about ordering a singlespeed Fuquay frame in 1999 but I think he’d already ceased trading by then.

desperatebicycle

Nice tribute, Chipps. I remember the bikes well from the early mags. RIP

jimplops

So sorry to hear, my condolences to his family and friends. It was Greg’s build for you Chipps that had me ordering my own frame and fork, an incredibly light frame and rigid fork, which I then sold on years later, one of those wish I hadn’t moments. RIP Greg

matt_outandabout

They were very cool bikes.

finbar
    Free Member

Loved Fuquay bikes, 11-year-old me always thought they had a kind of surf vibe that was a bit cooler than Chas Roberts/Dave Yates. No idea why. Probably because I got “Fuquay” confused with “Torquay”.

jimmy

Ah nuts, that’s sad to hear.

I tried to order a Fuquay frame around 1997 but think he’d not long stopped making. I bought a Roberts instead, which was terrible and I’d always harboured a hopeful desire of a semi-retired Fuquay knocking up a frame in his back yard for those who knew…

Also, f*** cancer.

Watty

They were really nice frames, too pricey for me at the time unfortunately.
    Where (roughly, if it’s a secret) in Suffolk Chipps? Did he stay on after his stint in the airforce locally to one of the (then) many airbases?

chipps

@watty His workshop was in Copdock. He did used to be on one of the local airbases.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I used to lust after the beautiful Fuquay frames when I did a bit of racing in Thetford forest back in the 90’s. The single tube from the seat tube mated to the capped seat stays were revolutionary and combined with the skinny steel frame tubes were a thing of beauty.
    R.I. P Greg.

P20

My mate still has his Fuquay. Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong tube set from memory. Always said the forks were brutal!

This it’s current colour way after if had the cracked seat tube replaced

2624679012_e2686105ef_o

andyha
    Free Member

I always remember that red one that was featured in MTBPro as a standout

ThePinkster

Sad news. I always loved the idea of a Fuquay bike in my early MTB years but could never afford one at the time.

jamj1974

A much admired builder of frames – I could never have afforded one, when they matched my style of riding.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

Sad new indeed, I did wonder what he got up to when he stopped making frames. I’ll have take down my wall art and and get it rideable again.

RIP Greg.

Fuquay art

Fuquay Ride

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.