Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,579 total)
  • New Labour leader/ direction
  • binners

Just read Momentum darlings Dawn Butlers latest contribution.

Asked what would be first priority as deputy leader if a Labour government if it came to power….

To repeal Margaret Thatchers anti-trade union legislation.

I suppose it’s progress of sorts. We’ve moved on from Corbyns 1970s agenda…

all the way to 1983.

Burgon has made it as far as Iraq in 2003, bless him

Finger on the pulse…

ransos
    Free Member

I too agree that Nandy may be a better choice, but lets just try and keep to the facts.

Are you new here?

binners

Evening comrade. How’s the revolution coming on?

tjagain

Inkster

Ian Murray – its not about holding grudges. Its about holding him accountable. He was one of the main architects of the labour / tory non agreession pact in Scotland that gave the tories enough seats to govern. Without him doing that we would not have had Mays government.

Its an utter disgrace that a so called labour MP colludes with the tories to increase tory seats.

That should disqualify him from any position indeed he should have been expelled from the party for it

ransos
    Free Member

Evening comrade. How’s the revolution coming on?

If you hurry, there’s time to buy more prosecco before the shops close.

binners

We’re a fully stocked cellar here at the chateaux darling

I take it you’re drinking mead out of an old miners boot?

ransos
    Free Member

We’re a fully stocked cellar here at the chateaux darling

You’re a cellar serving more than one castle? It’s either that or you can’t handle your liquour.

frankconway

My CLP held their nomination meeting last evening and voted for Starmer and Rayner.
    They posted on their FB page, thanking attendees for their thoughtful contributions; cue a post from an individual questioning ‘thoughtful contributions’.
    When asked ‘were you there?’ the response was….No.
    FFS where do these half-wits come from?

binners

ransos
    Free Member

My CLP held their nomination meeting last evening and voted for Starmer and Rayner.

Also the nomination of the country’s biggest union, inconvenient as that is to binbin’s predictable narrative.

binners

Why inconvenient? I hope that’s right. I’d love to see Lisa Nandy but Kier Starmer would be good. He’d actually make a decent job of leader of the opposition. Anyone but Rebecca Long Bailey who would just mean the end of the Labour Party as anything other than a sixth form level protest group, which is pretty much all it’s been for the last couple of years.

And I like Angela Rayner. I loved it when she blanked Joris Bohnson on Newsnight.

But the party faithful/Momentum/common room/PFJ’s preference is for Long Bailey and that numbskull Burgon

What’s your preference comrade?

ransos
    Free Member

What’s your preference comrade?

Nandy and Rayner.

Confused?

kiksy
    Free Member

But the party faithful/Momentum/common room/PFJ’s preference is for Long Bailey and that numbskull Burgon

It is, but the numbers of them are not as big as many make out, as displayed by the CLP nominations.

Momentum has 40,000 members in total.

Labour has had 100,000 new members since the election. It’s highly unlikely that these are hardcore Corbynites who have only just now decided to join up. More likely it’s people coming back to make sure the same mistakes aren’t made again.

Starmer and Rayner are going to walk it.

tjagain

Why Nandy? A complete liability. No talent, no brains, no principles.

ransos
    Free Member

I disagree completely. She’s the only candidate who understands what it takes to win back the lost votes across the north.

frankconway

OK TJ, you’ve made your opinion of Nandy explicitly clear; who would be your choices for leader and deputy from the available candidates?

kiksy
    Free Member

Why Nandy? A complete liability. No talent, no brains, no principles

She at least understands that Labour need to listen and reconnect to regain the lost northern seats.

Seems to be able to handle herself well in interviews as well.

binners

Bloody hell! Me and Ransos actually agree on something.

Lisa Nandy absolutely gets it. And she has done for a long time. She understands where Labour lost its way.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

A bit rich from a SNP fanboy

ransos
    Free Member

Bloody hell! Me and Ransos actually agree on something.

I think it’s the first time you’ve asked. Much easier to attack than engage, I guess.

tjagain

No SNP fanboi here big and daft

Frank – Starmer and none of the above for deputy. I don’t know much about Raynor. The others – utter diddies

Nandy has no idea about why labour lost its way or she wouldn’t have said such stupid things about Scotland

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Mmmm i hope when Starmer gets into power he chops Seamus and his supporting eco system into little bits.

frankconway

oldman – seeing milne ousted would be a start; the financial payoff would be significant.
    Following on from that…
    – a challenge by way of a vote of no confidence in McCluskey as Unite gensec
    – Corbyn’s (alleged) recommendation that Karie Murphy, red Len’s squeeze, get a gong to be voted down by the nominations committee
    – Jennie Formby, another of Len’s protegés, to be forced out of her role as Lab gensec.
    – Lansman and Momentum to be treated as Hatton was

This would be a great start to a thorough cleansing of the Augean stables.
    I can’t see any recent evidence of Rayner commenting about the leadership; very wise – don’t get associated with RLB.
    Will they still be flat mates when Starmer becomes leader and RLB’s support collapses?
    It appears the grown-ups are getting close to re-taking control.
    Nandy’s time will come – if she really wants it; keep on doing what she’s doing now.
    Optimistic? Too early for that but definitely less pessimistic.

dazh

She at least understands that Labour need to listen and reconnect to regain the lost northern seats.

By appeasing the pie and chips racists? No thanks.

binners

Thats not what she’s suggesting though, is it?

The main crux of her argument seems to be that we need a government thats prepared to acknowledge that the places outside the big cities, particularly in the north, do actually exist. And that maybe, just maybe, it might be an idea that if you want the people there to vote for you, you should stop displaying exactly that sneering, superior, metropolitan tone and actually engage with them and their concerns

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

She’s the only candidate who understands what it takes to win back the lost votes across the north.

Last I looked, Scotland was very definitely in the north, the lovely Lisa wants us treated like Catalonia.

Aye, she gets it.

binners

We’ve already discussed this at length. What she said and what she’s reported to have said have very little in common, but its suited the SNP to concoct a lot of faux outrage.

Call me cynical, but when somebody is taking the time and effort to actively discredit you, it suggests that they’re worried about having you as an opponent.

Its been widely reported that the new Tory MP’s in the north and midlands are more worried about facing her than RLB or Kier Starmer.

The actions of th SNP to discredit her, with what was basically a pack of lies, would suggest the same

dazh

acknowledge that the places outside the big cities, particularly in the north, do actually exist.

By doing what exactly? State subsidised pies and a new law making it compulsory for chippies to use beef dripping? State funding for the local anti-paedo lynch mob? Banning falafels?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Binners, no one has done anything more to discredit labour in Scotland in the last 10 years, than Scottish Labour.

You ever listened to Richard Leonard? Jesus wept. He’s awful, charmless, faux anger, so bad he makes the Scottish Tories look viable.

scotroutes

What lessons on dealing with Scottish Nationalists can be learnt from the Spanish then?

tjagain

Binners – as I explained to you its not the hysterical outpourings from the wider independence movement.

Its anyone who compares the “solution” to nationalism in Catelonia to Scotland shows no understanding of the politics and gives easy attack lines but also her rhetoric about a social justice agenda – when the SNP have been running one for over a decade.

Its shows a willingness to sound off about things you are ignorant of. That is poor politics and the willful ignorance shown towards scotland

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

willful ignorance shown towards scotland

Which isn’t unusual, given most folks on here consider Burnley to be in the north.

binners

Binners, no one has done anything more to discredit labour in Scotland in the last 10 years, than Scottish Labour.

I don’t doubt it for a second, fella. Scottish Labour is in its dismal state for very good reason. I’m not questioning that

Unfortunately the contagion is spreading south. The party is becoming just as irrelevent in the north and midlands. And I wish they’d stop referring to us as ‘THEIR’ heartlands. The shear arrogance of it. It makes it sound like they think they’ve some divine right to be elected every time, while then delivering little or nothing when they do. Its, at best, lazy and complacent, and at worst (as Daz has just amply demonstrated) condescending and insulting.

Lisa Nandy is the only one who has even acknowledged this, let alone suggest doing something about it.

LAbour seats are now pretty much exclusively metropolitan areas now. Well thats never going to enable you to form a government. Those simple sums don’t seem to be adding up to those at the top of the labour party, hence the latest disasterous election result.

And yet there heads remain resolutely buried in the sand

dazh

Slashing tax on bingo halls and one arm bandits? Local authority funded meat raffles? Community tonmbola workshops? Mandatory membership of the CIU affiliated working men’s club (and twice weekly attendance at the male-only bar)? Relaxation of drink driving laws? Allowing smoking in pubs again?

ransos
    Free Member

By doing what exactly? State subsidised pies and a new law making it compulsory for chippies to use beef dripping? State funding for the local anti-paedo lynch mob? Banning falafels?

Better job security and public services would get my vote. You know as well as I do that Labour has spent decades weighing its northern votes, and now the chickens have come home to roost.

Last I looked, Scotland was very definitely in the north, the lovely Lisa wants us treated like Catalonia.

If it suits you to believe that, be my guest. In any case I don’t see much room for Labour now that the SNP have stopped being tartan Tories.

tjagain

scotroutes

What lessons on dealing with Scottish Nationalists can be learnt from the Spanish then?

dazh

Oh I’ve got a good one, how about improving local bus services?

Better job security and public services would get my vote.

But not the vote of the heroic working class in the north and the midlands it would seem.

squirrelking
    Free Member

By appeasing the pie and chips racists? No thanks.

And that maybe, just maybe, it might be an idea that if you want the people there to vote for you, you should stop displaying exactly that sneering, superior, metropolitan tone and actually engage with them and their concerns

You really couldn’t make it up, you are so two faced it’s not even funny at this point. You were exactly the person complaining about your local racist gammons in the flat roof pubs, what suddenly changed?

inkster
    Free Member

TJ. Wether it’s about grudges or sticking to principles it’s the inflexibility that’s the probLen. The political landscape has shifted beyond recognition over the last few years, and some are out to crucify any who have erred, shifted positions or not stuck religiously to core principles (whatever they are).

The Tories have profited massively by flip-flopping like it’s going out of fashion. They’ve recognised the tumultuous times were living in and responded accordingly. They understand the zeitgeist, and the word zeitgeist has never been more appropriate.

I’m prepared to pardon politicians for their sins, I’m not a fudementalist. We’ve spent the last few years hoping for a hung parliament at best, (a Labour victory being a pipe dream) so have indulged in tactical voting as voters whilst politicicians have looked at all sorts of pacts and alliances. Some think that makes them traitors, I think it’s a reflection of the desperate times were living in and how some are looking for a way out.

tjagain

You really think a labour MP colluding with the tories to increase tory seats meaning we got Mays government is acceptable behaviour?

I agree with your general pint but Murrays actions cost so much including a tory government and thus brexit!

I will say it again – colluding with tories to increase tory seats. Not accidentally – deliberately gifting tries seats This is never acceptable behaviour from a labour MP

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,579 total)

The topic ‘New Labour leader/ direction’ is closed to new replies.