Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 231 total)
  • New dropper seatpost from OneUp Components
  • nickfrog
    Free Member

Is anyone interested in either buying my brand new 170mm that was never fitted or swapping it for a 150mm ?

nickfrog
    Free Member

I am very confused about this seat post. If I read this https://int.oneupcomponents.com/collections/dropper-posts/products/dropper-post-shim, it sounds like it can actually perform magic.

My 170mm seat post doesn’t go far enough inside my frame for the post’s collar to go as far the frame’s collar, in other words, there is a gap, of about 20mm.

But if I read the above, that gap can disappear if use the shim. Can someone more intelligent than me (ie most people) confirm that’s not possible, ie the post can’t shrink.

roverpig

The shim just limits the travel. So, if you used the shim to limit the travel to, say, 150mm then the total length of the post would be reduced by 20mm, but the gap that you are talking about would indeed be the same.

ogden
    Free Member

Well it’s arrived and fitted with a wolftooth lever.

Feels spongy to operate and it has some rotational play at the saddle. Doesn’t feel better than either of the brand x droppers did when brand new. Time will tell .

Mine me feels so much better than my 120 brand X. No play in mine and it doesn’t feel spongy, although I’m using the one up lever, not that it should matter.

You can adjust the air pressure in the post, there is a valve under the seat clamp, have you tried that?

cupotea

@nickfrog I’d be very interested.

ta11pau1

So now there’s a few out there in the wild, how is the lever? Is it a nice light action?

poah
    Free Member

mine arrived today

kelvin

If the lever is spongy, the cable probably needs tightening. Also, check the cable housing can move freely at the post end.

No rotational play in mine at all, much better than my Reverb.

poah
    Free Member

didn’t fit so sent back 🙁

cupotea

@poah out of interest, how did it not fit?  I thought that the combination of small insert length plus custom drop length would have made it pretty likely to be ok.

Also, if it’s a 170mm where are you sending it back to?  Nickfrog has kindly sold me his but there might be others like me pretty keen to get their sticky mitts on one with current UK stock levels.

singlespeedstu

check the cable housing can move freely at the post end.

This if it’s feeling spongy.

Mine felt terrible until i rerouted the cable with some more slack at the bottom of the seat tube.

It works by holding the inner cable stationary at the post end and moving the outer cable to activate the mechanism.

If there’s not enough free movement for the outer it feels shite.

poah
    Free Member

I clearly made a massive balls up in my calculations.  It was a 150 back to ubyk

nickfrog
    Free Member

Sending the post to cup o tea tomorrow but fitted the lever today on the old 120  Brand X. It’s fine, probably not revolutionary compared to say the Wolf one but quite an upgrade in smoothness and control over the Brand X (not difficult).

ta11pau1

Sending the post to cup o tea tomorrow but fitted the lever today on the old 120  Brand X. It’s fine, probably not revolutionary compared to say the Wolf one but quite an upgrade in smoothness and control over the Brand X (not difficult).

Really interested in this as it’ll be either the OneUp or Wolftooth dropper that will be replacing my Brand X XL lever, the brand X one is pretty floppy, there’s a lot of movement in the pivot, it’s also quite stiff to operate and creaks and clicks a fair amount when doing so. Oh and the clamp has to be tightened quite tight or else it slowly rotates around the bar!

As you’ve used both with a Brand X post, which would you say is the best? I’m guessing the Wolftooth might be a bit lighter action that the OneUp lever. The main thing I want is a lever that’s got zero play in the pivot and is nice and light to press, and a bonus if it can fit to multiple brake levers. The OneUp’s USP is that it’s lever is in the upshift position rather than the downshift position like every other dropper, but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing. TIA 🙂

nickfrog
    Free Member

@ta11pau1

There is zero play whatsover despite not even having had to adjust the barrel thingy. The action is immediate and triggers the dropper with the first 15%/20% of lever travel, it’s quite uncanny. It’s very smooth and allows perfect modulation despite the short travel. I haven’t had a proper ride yet so will probably report back this weekend.

I can’t comment on the clamp as I have the Ispec version which is well engineered.

I quite like the position actually, it’s even more out of the way.

ta11pau1

@nickfrog awesome, cheers – when I said ‘play’ I actually meant up and down play in the lever, lateral play – the brand X lever wobbles up and down loads more than it should. I wasn’t expecting there to be any in the Oneup lever, it’s just of my many qualms with the Brand X lever.

I look forward to further reports 🙂

nickfrog
    Free Member

Understood. The Oneup lateral play is probably a 10th of the Brand X one but then again that’s not saying much.

hainman
    Free Member

Anyone selling a 170 31.6 post

cartwheels

Great back up from One up.

I ordered a 170 post, whilst fitting I managed to bend the actuator .

They very kindly sent out a new actuator for free even though this was my fault .

Whilst fitting I’ve realised the 170 is really too long for my frame and inside leg length.

They have said they’re happy to swap the seatpost over for the 150 version.

Really pleased with their response and thought I’d share my experience .

DrP

^^^ surely you could just use a shim to drop the, er, drop, to 150mm???? rather than send it back??!!

DrP

cartwheels

The trouble I’m having with the post is it’s contacting a suspension pivot in the frame.

The lower on the 150mm is 20mm shorter so will sit 20mm lower in my frame .

warns74
    Free Member

Bit of feedback based on a couple of hours use:

I’m pretty tall so went for a 170mm drop (on an XL Stumpjumper 29). Bike was in for a service so the LBS swapped out the Spesh command post for the OneUp, hence I can’t comment on how easy it is to fit or set up.

For comparison I’ve only ever used Reverbs and Command Posts. From the off the post feels great, a very smooth action, the return is quite fast but nothing like as fast as the command post. The lever feel is great. I was hoping to re-use the spesh lever but it wasn’t possible in the end. Not at all disappointed as the OneUp lever feels nice, the actuation is quite light but positive and feels good to me. It was also easy to get it in a good position on the bars and it felt immediately intuitive while riding. There is a tiny bit of side to side play in the post but I’ve never had one of any brand that didn’t do this.

I still have a couple of inches of post showing out of the frame but the extra 45mm drop over the command post feels fantastic, the saddle is so much lower on steep stuff that I don’t even know its there now.

Based on a couple of hours use it’s great so far, but will see how it goes over time.

honourablegeorge

Quick bump as I’m building upa bike currently and the spare Reverb I had in the shed is rough as a badger’s whatsit and I’m not optimisic that it will last beyind the first ride. These seem cheap, they have lots of travel (I have room for 170) and have a matchmaker remote, which is everything I need. – anyone else using one and liking it?

fathomer

My Reverb is starting to feel a bit shit and difficult to compress so have just added one of these to my birthday ‘wishlist’ (very optimistic, lol) and a Wolf Tooth ReMote to go with it. The extra drop will be nice.

@honourablegeorge
    if you’re planning on using the remote with Hope Tech 3 levers then I’m sure I’ve read in this thread that <span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>they</span><span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”> </span><span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>don’t work.</span>

honourablegeorge

Ah – good to know, fathomer, that was the plan. Will go Wolf Toth instead. Thank you.

ta11pau1

Yeah they’re not a straight forward easy fit – although I read in one customer review that they’d manged to alter the hope adapters somehow to make it fit, not sure how though.

edit: was on the Oneup website:

Pieter P:

Nice minimal design with smooth function and good leverage (resulting in low operating force).
    Setting up with the post is easy.
    Be cautions on which version you need. I ordered the MMX version thinking it would fit non-SRAM matchmakers (e.g. Hope). This is not the case. I made it fit by modifying the Hope matchmaker to accept the One Up lever.

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu

It works by holding the inner cable stationary at the post end and moving the outer cable to activate the mechanism.

Wait…what?

clockarockin
    Free Member

In reply to those switching between dropper levers – the best upgrade I made to the Brand X post (which I assume would work with any cable operated post) is to use an old front mech shifter.

They are a bit bulkier but seem to have a far better action than the dropper lever designs (haven’t tried OneUp but have tried WolfTooth/BX) and there are plenty of cheap ones around after the big change to 1x drivetrains!

cooie

One Up clamps at lever though, so can’t use a front mech shifter.

singlespeedstu

Wait…what?

You just need to make sure there’s room for the outer cable to move a bit.

kelvin

Yeah, if you’re moving the post around to get the hight right… make sure you don’t pull the cable housing tight stopping it from moving. I did that first ride… it confused me for a whille.

dandelion
    Free Member

I upgraded my 125mm Reverb Stealth to a 150mm OneUp Components Dropper, after realisng I wouln’t be able to get a 150mm drop reverb to fit due to frame design (Giant Reign Advanced). Have previuisly been impressed by OUC stuff also. So far , so good! I liked the fact the lever can be mounted to the XT brakes, and the feel is every bit as premium as the reverb – more so if you include the fact it doesn’t have any sag! Anyhow I also now realise I can actually fit a 17mm drop post, which I have ordered – so if any one is looking for a very low use 150mm OUC Dropper (30.9), giz a shout before I ebay it. Should come with a shim, if I don’t need it on the 170 once it arrives.

skywalker99
    Free Member

I thought I will give my opinion on the 170mm OneUp dropper post.

I’ve had a 150mm Fox Transfer for over a year but Oneup attracted my attention because its lower stack (so more room when I slam it down).

Now, I’ve read a lot of good opinions about this post and I have a couple of Oneup products and generally I’m happy about them. However, this post is to put it simply just<b> rubbish</b>.

– this is my second, brand new, oneup dropper. The first one was faulty out of the box. Horrible grind when compressed and extended
    – the second one doesn’t grind as much but is far from buttery smooth. I read a few opinions on some forums people comparing it to Fox Transfer saying it’s as good/smooth. It’s not true. You can feel friction at all times, quite similar to Giant dropper in this regard. Fox just feel friction-less in comparison. It’s something you don’t miss until you experience it. Saying that, I can live with this if you give me low stack in return.
    – The absolute dealbreaker to me is related to clamping. I found that anything over 3nm on seat collar causes the dropper to either not return fully (e.g. it stops 80%) or slow return or just give more friction/grind. My frame recommendation is ~5-6nm btw. Now, I wouldn’t have a problem to go by with 3nm or whatever if the (seat)post stayed in place when I ride – but it doesn’t. Sorry but how the hell this post the quality control with such major flaw?!
    – I use Wolftooth remote and the lever motion is just way harder & less smooth than with Fox transfer. I suspect this is because Oneup moves the outer rather than inner cable to trigger the dropper – which imo is just stupid design
    – the dropper is super sensitive to inner cable tension. anything under or over a certain tension and it behaves odd
    – shims is still out of stock after 2 months of ordering. Seriously, being out of stock with (very overpriced) piece of plastic that you advertise as the main selling point?!
    – smaller issues. Return speed isn’t as fast as I would like to (air pressure ~270psi), and the pop when it gets fully extended isn’t as loud as I would like. Small things and not dealbrakers.

The post is going back where it came from. I love the low stack but Oneup needs to get back to the drawing board; bad design, bad quality control and bad execution. Even at half price it’s money wasted if it doesn’t work properly

roverpig

Interesting. I must admit I don’t recognise any of that. Mine was simple to fit and has been flawless for the past month. It also came with the shim.  No idea what my seat clamp tension is, I just did it up with an Allen key like I always do so, about yay tight. But it doesn’t slip and the post returns pretty rapidly. Lever (OneUp) action is light and post has never missed a beat. Not sure how smooth it is to be honest, but smooth enough that I’ve not noticed.

I’ve never used a fox transfer though (and at that price I doubt I will). Maybe they are just so good that they spoil you for anything else.

kelvin

Even at half price it’s money wasted if it doesn’t work properly

Is your seat tube slightly oversize?

I’ve not had any of the problems you’ve mentioned, perhaps I’m just lucky. I wish that luck worked with Reverbs…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Also had absolutely none of those issues, and mine was one of the original first batch. It’s now been moved onto a second frame and still works perfectly. It’s as light as the Transfer post I have on the other bike (which I will be selling for another 170mm OneUp post shortly 🙂

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve had no issues with my one up dropper.

jamj1974

Slight tangent.  Gave my mate some guidance whilst he was assembling his new Jeffsy.  I don’t know if it the post or the lever but the e13 post has the nicest action of any I have ever tried.  Made all mine feel a bit shit in comparison – including the OneUp…

honourablegeorge

No use to me, but if you need a 30.9 150mm or 170mm, they’re 159 at Evans and SAVE30 takes off 30 quid.

gkeeffe

I have both a 150 fox transfer and a 170 One Up.   I can find no difference in actuation.  They are pretty similar, obviously it’s nice to drop the seat lower.  I have a wolf tooth on the fox which I think is nicer than the One Up lever – but there’s not much in it.

I have had the fox for a year or so and its been flawless.  the One up for a couple of months and so far so good.

I’d recommend either!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 231 total)

The topic ‘New dropper seatpost from OneUp Components’ is closed to new replies.