Home Forums Chat Forum MTB campervan hire?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • MTB campervan hire?
  • ta11pau1

Getting ideas for holidays next year and one thing I really fancy doing is hiring a campervan (high roof, LWB sprinter size, not a massive motor home) and sodding off to Scotland for 2 weeks, going where the wind takes me.

There’s plenty of places with generic 2 berth vans, with toilets, but none it seems catering for MTBers who don’t really want the best part of £10k’s worth of bikes outside and on show for anyone to come along and have a go at, especially if parked up in a nice remote spot.

So, does anyone know of any MTB specific campervan hire available?

johnw1984
    Free Member

These guys are a friend of a friend.

https://www.jepsonsribblevalleymotorhomehire.co.uk/

We’ve got one booked for next year to do a similar trip!

The owner is a MTB’er 🙂

ta11pau1

Cheers, not seeing any with MTB storage there though.

To add, I’m in Kent, so pickup pretty much anywhere in the country is fine as it’ll no doubt be on the way, unless it’s Devon!

This is the sort of thing: https://www.huntersporthomes.co.uk/open-lounge

Having a toilet means overnighting in various car parks is possible, like innerleithen – which is a big bonus to have.

IHN

Having a toilet means overnighting in various car parks is possible, like innerleithen – which is a big bonus to have.

Assuming it’s just number onesies, and there’s a nearby hedge and/or you can park ‘strategically’, you don’t need a toilet in the van.

simon_g

https://www.quirkycampers.com/uk/ – quite a few based on bigger vans. Usually if they’ve got a fixed rear bed then there’s a good amount of storage underneath it that you could put bikes in.

ta11pau1

Assuming it’s just number onesies, and there’s a nearby hedge and/or you can park ‘strategically’, you don’t need a toilet in the van.

You need your own self contained van with toilet facilities.

https://forestryandland.gov.scot/staythenight

Overnight parking is only available to self-contained motorhomes and campervans with their own toilet facilities. Tents and cars are not included in this trial.

I can see it was a trial, but fingers crossed it’s rolled out permanently.

NZCol

Finding the right model is key – if you can get a couple of soft bags then a lot of the van conversion options can work, examples I used (before I bought one)
    https://www.roseislemotorhomehire.com/campervan/medium-2-4-premium-hymercar-yellowstone/
    For example we got 3 full size bikes in bags underneath the rear bed and 2 adults and a kid in the roof. Just take a decent amount of foam padding or sacrifical cardboard for the floor and you will be fine.

ta11pau1

https://www.quirkycampers.com/uk/ – quite a few based on bigger vans. Usually if they’ve got a fixed rear bed then there’s a good amount of storage underneath it that you could put bikes in.

Cheers, there’s a few possible ones in there.

IHN

You need your own self contained van with toilet facilities.

I get they say you ‘need’ facilities, but who’s going to check, and what’s the harm, if you have a quick wee behind a hedge at 3am?

NZCol

I will.

ta11pau1

I get they say you ‘need’ facilities, but who’s going to check, and what’s the harm, if you have a quick wee behind a hedge at 3am?

Obviously it’ll mainly number ones, but what happens when you’ve had a dodgy meal that evening and really, really, need to do a number 2? Is it OK to squat in the hedge where kids might be setting up a bike the next day? It’s more about respect than anything, if these schemes get abused by people shitting everywhere or emptying toilets into car parks, it’ll be taken away.

TBH most of the vans for hire do have toilets/showers anyway so finding one without is probably harder.

steveh

The kind of vans that have what you’re after are generally summarised as “race vans” used by mx, go karters and bikers primarily. Renting of them is not super common but if you google race van rental it will show some options.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stop in any Scottish layby on the west coast.

That’s why toilets are required.

It’s just vile.

It’s not just one person. Or as I call it “me me me” it’s many people all most daily.

You surely don’t just get out your tent on a campsite and take a leak next to it ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Aye OP has the right attitude. I have to walk from laybyes quite often, dodging piss shit and bloody bog roll and other things is grim.

ta11pau1

The kind of vans that have what you’re after are generally summarised as “race vans” used by mx, go karters and bikers primarily. Renting of them is not super common but if you google race van rental it will show some options.

Cheers, it’s looking like direct rental (air BnB for vans!) is the way to go, from somewhere like Camptoo.co.uk – around £80-120 per night depending on the van, and lots with a big garage for bike/muddy kit storage.

johnw1984
    Free Member

The bigger motorhomes he rents out have garages on the back that the bikes fit into. Few friends have used them and found them to be really good. Guess I’ll find out next year 🙂

ta11pau1

Ahh, gotcha. I really don’t need anything like a massive motorhome, VW crafter/Sprinter size is perfect.

burko73

Surely that’s a troll?

I guess that post sums up why the forestry and land scotland thing is a trial. If everyone thinks it fine to abuse it they won’t continue the trial as business as usual and everyone loses out.

NZCol

I’ve used it a lot, last time we stayed at Dalbeattie. Requirement is self contained which we are, they moved on 2 campervans that weren’t , they being the rangers who came and checked we had parking tickets while they closed and cleaned the toilets etc. Great option to have.

Mugboo

If you intend to also stay on campsites every few nights you could buy a portable loo, they aren’t expensive and don’t take up a lot of space. We use the Go Outdoors Freedom in our T4 which hasn’t got the biggest resevoir but we’ve managed so far. I tend to pee in a bottle to save space if we aren’t on a campsite.
    We intend to buy a bigger Thetford one next.

It would be a crying shame if people ruined this positive move by the FE.

tjagain

I have hired quite a few campers over the years. the only one that we could sleep in and still have the bikes inside in the “garage” was a huge coach built one. We did have a panel van based one with a rear lounge / bedroom that the bike went in easily for driving but obviously had to come out ( and be locked to the van) for sleeping

I think you will find it impossible to get a panel van based one that you can sleep with the bikes inside

Be wary of the direct hire ones – check very carefully about insurance

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think you will find it impossible to get a panel van based one that you can sleep with the bikes inside

Other than the aforementioned ‘race van’ style campers you mean 😆

NZCol

Or the one I linked to – panel can that we got 3 bikes in easily ?

ta11pau1

Yeah there’s definitely plenty of panel van options that can fit bikes inside, that one NZCal linked, plus ones like these

https://www.camptoo.co.uk/camper/20436/Cosy-Warm-Richard-is-perfect-for
    https://www.camptoo.co.uk/camper/19403/Iveco

trail_rat
    Free Member

Err have you seen mine….. Panel Van takes 5 bikes under the bed and sleeps 4…… With a toilet and all mod cons….

Definantly possible and quirky have plenty for rental.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rent a house in aviemore for 2 weeks, pretty much all the best big mountain biking is within a couple of hours at most, a nice shower and bed to come home to every night.

nbt

Rent a house in aviemore for 2 weeks, pretty much all the best big mountain biking is within a couple of hours at most, a nice shower and bed to come home to every night.

Not a bad idea. A few years ago (thanks to a post on this forum, as it happens) we did a trial week with Phil from Scottish Mountain Bike Guides where we based ourselves at the Slochd Hostel and went out to a different trrail centre each day. Cracking week.

ta11pau1

I’m doing a trip based there in May for a week, but I fancy having a bit more freedom for a longer 2 weeks in mid-september. Quite fancy doing nevis range, maybe Skye, and so on, which a fixed base just doesn’t allow (unless you like driving for 2-4 hours every single day).

The other cheaper option is a hiring a roof tent but this limits staying at campsites.

Also, having the freedom can mean you can go where the weather is good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, just an option to point out, that was all.

leegee

OP, an option in Kent is Wents Service Station at Ulcombe (Near Leeds Castle)

They have a range of campervans and motorhomes for hire and can even include a driver for the huge ones.

tartanscarf

Covered above but please make sure you are self contained for toileting. I’m sick of walking through the stench of urine and piles of toilet roll in our local lay-bys.

Cheers!

ta11pau1

I also really want to try out a van to see if it’s something I could live with, really fancy getting one at some point. 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Worth checking mileage allowances/charges if driving from Kent too btw. May be cheaper to hire up here, but obviously limits the amount of stuff you can take to what your car can carry.

ta11pau1

Yeah, tbh hiring ‘en-route’ is not a problem, one of the benefits of having to drive most of the country to get to Scotland! No issues with space in the car – 2 bikes on the towbar rack and a massive estate boot for everything else.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They are good, we have an XLWB based race van conversion, even with the jet wash tanks in the rear garage, I think we can get probably 7 bikes in it & kit (or 4 with loads of space for the awning sides/mountains of kit etc).

King size bed above, full facilities inside, etc. Not cheap but they do hold their money well so it’s not like we have thrown it down the pan.

oikeith

These guys are a friend of a friend.

https://www.jepsonsribblevalleymotorhomehire.co.uk/

Cheers, not seeing any with MTB storage there though.

If I look at the Scafell and the Snowdon both have doors to a rear garage/storage area?

andysandes
    Free Member

Room for bikes https://www.adria-mobil.com/vans/twin-sports

As mentioned above if they are in a bag easy to slide in under bed.

grantyboy
    Free Member

Forestry Commission Stay the Night trial is ending 31st Dec
    Nothing mentioned about 2021 plans yet

https://forestryandland.gov.scot/staythenight

ta11pau1

If I look at the Scafell and the Snowdon both have doors to a rear garage/storage area?

They’re bigger than I want/need, would prefer the next size down based on a LWB sprinter/crafter sized van

Fingers crossed stay the night comes back next year, I’ll keep an eye on it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘MTB campervan hire?’ is closed to new replies.