Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 440 total)
  • Longshot SolarisMAX – when?
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks Kelvin.

andykirk
    Free Member

XL green frame just arrived!

I have to say the green colour looks much less bogging in the flesh than it does on the website.  I think maybe the green is just not a photogenic colour.

Frame feels pretty lightweight.

BUT…. 15 quid for that tiny tiny spare derailleur hanger!!??

kelvin

Syntace hanger is much the same price everywhere. Personally, I’m glad it’s not a proprietary hanger.

The Green XL is now sold out… but one Cosmic Black XL is available, due to a cancelled order… act quickly if you want it.

kelvin

That XL is gone now… other sizes down to last few.

brassneck

Photos don’t do the paint job justice – was wavering a bit seeing the green & metal finishes but glad I went with it.

Before anyone says it, not my garden 😀 – seatpost has gone way up since that was taken too.

Had a few quick rides, still tweaking position but so far it’s everything I hoped for. Built up it feels lighter than expected too. Many thanks to SW Cycle Workshop for doing hte build – it was deserving of a bit of professional pixie dust, and has come back just so.

cokie

Brassneck, that looks fantastic and really purposeful! Almost like a BFe.

Still loving mine. Out 3-4 times a week at the moment. So much dust covered hardpack up here is making some of the descents really sketchy. Now that I’ve got used to the handling, it’s smashing all of my records and my general trail riding is quicker. Few cherry picked strava runs (mostly descents, but theres a climb in there too).

brassneck

Nicely! Is that above Wantage? Did a CX ride after a race with no. 2 son over winter up there.

Wasn’t dusty then 😀

I’d agree even this early it needs relearning a bit – it really seems better being hustled a bit over the forks, so I need to ‘princess and the pea’ fork and tyre pressure, although even with super high back pressure to ensure the tubeless seats well it’s comfy.

Had one of the first (I think) Hunt MTB wheels. – wide XC 29ers – light (1600g), true and the clickiest freehub in Christendom. Will wait to see the longevity but so far they seem an utter bargain for £320.

Levels are good enough, but I think some non stock pads will be in order. Again for what I paid they seem great value.

In short – after all my hmming about the ‘extreme’ geometery – I think they got it right. It’s just a lovely mountain bike.

cokie

Yeah, Wantage monument. Great view over Oxfordshire from around there.

I think the longer back end took me the longest to get used to. On the Whyte I used to hang over the bars on climbs to keep the nose down, but then you’d sometimes lose traction. No such problem with the Solaris. I originally thought it was a sit and winch bike, but now I’m used to it you can really get the power down on the climbs.

Agreed, geomtry just seems ‘right’ (whatever that means..).

sheck

Cokie… what length forks are you running (apologies if mentioned above, I scanned but didn’t spot it)

cokie

@sheck 130mm debonair airshaft.

I’ll be fitting 140mm on the next fork service. I think it would suit it quite well.

the00
    Free Member

Finally got to build and ride my new bike, an XL Solaris Max in Dark Metal. This arrived whilst I was away on holiday, so it’s taken a while to find the time to service old bits, to build up the new bits, and the shakedown ride was on Saturday:

Build notes:

The frame was delivered nicely prep’d. The headset and seat clamp were fitted by Cotic. The frame weighs in at 2600g (allowing for 100g of fitted parts). The BB shell to be perfectly faced and chased. The seattube is reamed for the top ~150mm (no sleeve suggested by Cokie), but the seatpost goes past this point no problem.

I have fitted new 140mm Pikes, with a 42mm offset. After much deliberation I chose these to make the bike as different as possible to my previous bike, an XL V2 Scandal with 100mm travel Floats. This bike is an ‘all-round trail bike’. The climbing ability is very important because I spend more time going up than going down. Whilst I think 120mm forks would be the more natural choice, I want to try the most extreme setting to see how ‘bad’ it can be.

A small  niggle with the DT Swiss wheels is that the decals for these wheels are in the traditional orientation, but on the rim side walls. This results in them being upside-down to the tyre labels. The wheel decals are also offset to the valve hole, but in a different direction on opposite sides. So despite having aligned the tyres to the valves, I think I will do differently next time.

The brakes, controls and drivetrain have been moved across from my old bike. Non-Boost single ring cranks with a 30T chainring have fitted with ok clearance.

The 30mm stem is dinky:

Cotic include a neoprene chainstay protector in the box, but this is really too short for the 440mm chainstays. I think I prefer innertube wrap anyway.

The under top tube routing for the rear brake hose and gear cable are ok, but the clips for the bosses on the downtube are a minor irritation. I hope they open out a bit and aren’t too frustrating when fitting or removing bottle cages. The hole in the seattube has sharp edges which scratch up the cable outer. A grommet is included in the box, but this needs to be fitted before the cable.

I can fit two 750ml bottle on the downtube, but I need a side loading cage for the lower position at least. These have been ordered to try.

brassneck

Looking good. Another reason that raw colour may score, I scratched the top tube at the weekend 🙁 yeah yeah its a mountain bike get over it, but its still a new bike!

This weekend was a family bimble around Pewsey Vale which turned into an extended wheely contest along the towpath (I lost, age not toolset). Just have a big fat smile everytime I ride it. Speaking of which, it’s lunchtime, would be rude not too….

the00
    Free Member

Ahh yes. I knew I’d forget something. With such a slack head angle, and with the bars slammed, I get a big clash between controls and the top tube upon bar rotation. I have used some waxed cotton cord whipped around the frame to offer some protection.

the00
    Free Member

Alex

I have the first gen Solaris Max in medium I share with my daughter. I’m 5ft11, she’s a couple of inches shorter and it’s just a bit small for me. It’s been brilliant fun tho for 2 hour rides in the local woods. Always run it chubby.

After talking to Cy, I’m having another M in the Longshot variant. Will be running it with a 140mm pike and some Carbon 42mm wheels. Prob run it 29 in the winter.

This is part of my ‘I have too many bikes’ reduction strategy. My RipMo is so good, I’m just not going to ride my Mojo3 so that’s getting added to the sale pile that has my smuggler in it. I’ve convinced myself this has been an evolution where I end up with 1xFS 29 and 1xFS chubby/29 and that’s all I need.  Others who know me better may have a different view!

Anyway this will be my 7th Cotic and the Solaris Max was my current fav (with my now sold Flare Max just behind) so I have high hopes…

Ponty

I’ve had my Solaris Max in plus mode a couple of weeks now and really enjoying it. The amount of traction on loose climbs is amazing, plus I’m much more confident on the steep downs.

I’d speced it with 130mm fork travel, but it arrived with them set at 140mm. First ride I found the front end a little wandery on the steeper climbs compared to the mk1 and 100mm forks I’d been riding.

I’ve dropped the stem 10mm and its a little better. Don’t wish to drop it any further and risk bar contact with top tube.

I’m more than happy with its performance on the descents, but I’m a strange one and generally enjoy climbing more than descending

Cotic have offered me to send forks back for them to adjust,  but I wanted to poll what others are running? And thoughts in general which it rides best with? How does it ride with 120mm?

Thanks

the00
    Free Member

I too came from a 29er hardtail with 100mm travel forks, but something a lot steeper, a V2 Scandal.

For the LS Solaris 120mm forks were my initial consideration to keep handling sharp etc. But I have ended up on 140mm forks to see how good/bad it is. I have even chosen a short offset (42mm) fork.

After a couple of rides I can say that I do notice the steering wandering about a bit when I’m tired or lazy, but not to a degree that has caused any problem. The same goes for steering flop at stationary or v slow speeds. I notice it, but it doesn’t detract from the ride. The bike actually has incredible stability and grip when climbing. I have found myself choosing steeper routes trying to find it’s limit, some that I have never ridden before. I have the stem and bars slammed very low. I need an XL frame so I am used to my bars hitting the top tube on every bike, so I have made a protection pad for my Solaris.

On the Pikes that I have it is possible to change down to 120mm of travel, but I’m not going to rush in to changing it. I think I will get some rigid forks for the winter, and then see how that is before perhaps altering the forks down to 120mm next year. That might be a change rather than because I think it will be better.

kelvin

130mm here. Wouldn’t want less.

brassneck

130mm here too. Seems to be the Goldilocks zone.

I’ve slammed the stem too, bars don’t hit (Cotics own) but controls do. Might go with a neoprene cover I think.

cokie

130mm for me too.
    Feels great and certainly wouldn’t go lower.
    Tempted to try 140mm when I next service the forks.

What bar and stem combos are people running?

Running 32mm stem (Turbine R) with 800mm bars, but tempted to run 40-45mm stem..

metalheart
    Free Member

I ordered 130mm forks, I’m not 100% that they’re not set at 120mm though… how much stantion length should you have on McQueen HLRs at that height? I’ve got ~135mm.

im happy enough with it though whatever though(so not really gone down the hassle Cy route, well at least not yet… 🤣 ). No wandery front end experience for me at least. Found climbing easier on the new than the old if I’m honest (with 120mm forks).

im running renthal 800 fat bars on Cotic 35mm stem. Contemplating cutting down to 780mm, but just not yet…

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Sold out in large in all colours now till December.

Gutted that my order is now on hold till then

I’m in the process of building my XL up right meow, I’m going to go for the 140 pikes initially but I expect to lower them down. I guess it’s not a difficult job, but I’ve never done it before. The aim is to get out this week on it, if I haven’t forgotten something I need!

otsdr
    Free Member

Sold out in large in all colours now till December.

Watched the medium grays go away, then when the greens disappeared as well I had to get a black one…

Ponty

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Mine is a large, running chubby with McQueen HLR forks, 35mm stem and Cotic bars.

Mine have 144mm of stanchion and when I let all the air out it used it all up, so I was pretty sure mine were 140mm.

@Metalheart
    , sounds like you have 130mm

Just back from a short ride with some steep bits in and you can’t argue it’s a phenomenal climber, just think a lower front end would make it epic. Going to send them back (whilst I’m on hols) and try them at 130mm which sounds like it could be the perfect balance, and what I rode when I demoed at FOD

I’m liking the Mcqueens, what pressure and settings are others running? I’m at 73psi on bottle no hydration pack, no HSC and 5 click of LSC. What really surprises is how little movement I have on smooth tracks and Road, despite no lockout. Think I could go a little lower on pressure.

Ive also got myself a digital pressure gauge and put in the pressures in I thought my pump was telling me, only to find it was a much harsher ride. I’m a 90kg rider, what are others running in 2.8 tyres?

Did give it some tonight, but knocked 2 mins off my best over a 13 min climb despite this being 4lbs heavier than my Mk1….go figure….I’m loving this bike and looking forward to trying it with lighter 29er wheels sometime

Ta

metalheart
    Free Member

Cheers ponty, that’s reassuring to hear.

im a bit of a FF and have (literally) just reduced my pressure by 5 to 80. Found similar to yourself. Not tested out at that though.

I’m running 1-2 clicks (maybe 3 on the lower, non-gold, one) on both.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Size advice

missed out on large frame at 6 ft is the xl too big ?

Planning on running 30mm stem.

general natural  trail riding

the00
    Free Member

XL might be ok if you like a long bike. It is 30mm longer then the L.

Ponty – reducing fork travel by 10mm will reduce sagged bar height by 7mm. That is sod all whichever way you look at it. I think that if you really find the bars too high after giving it a chance, lower the stem or fit lower rise bars.

Alex

Before

[url=https://flic.kr/p/29wRnDN]Cotic Solaris Max v2[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

After

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26RcFQG]Cotic Solaris Max v2[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Ridden

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26XQqz1]First ride of the SolarisMax V2[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Celebrate with a beer 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MA11dE]First ride of the SolarisMax V2[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Wrote a thing: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=4146

brassneck

Cosmic Black loving here 😀 – don’t lean it against the metal post! Looking  good in plus.

re: Stem & Bars – running 35mm RSP stem, with 780mm Cotic bars. One 10mm spacer under stem (just becuase I wasn’t 100% sure) and a 5mm on top (I always do this, carbon steerer thing I just like now).

retrobri
    Free Member

I’ve been running mine with 120 revs upfront for a few weeks now and it will stay that way for now, coming of a mk1 at 100mm this new version is awesome, yet to take it somewhere rocky (end of month)  but bimbling around the chilterns it’s proving to be a b**dy good bike, capable and fast.

highlandman
    Free Member

Size L with CC Helm coil fork here; currently set up at 130 and yes, that does seem to be a real sweet spot for the frame.  It’s already been up on the cairngorm plateau and coped remarkably well with the boulder descent north off Sgorr Gaoith and then the tight zig-zag descent down from the weather station.  That’s one tough downhill for a hardtail and it didn’t hesitate so I’m absolutely delighted with the bike.

For what it’s worth, I think the coil fork is a perfect match to this bike, just the right character; exceptionally well controlled and beautifully supple.  No dive when things are getting steep and techy, just loads of confidence.

780 low rise Renthal bars do mean that with only 5mm of spacer below the dinky stem, the shifter pods can hit the top tube so I’ve protected it with tape.  And yes, I did say ‘shifters’… 2×11 set up and I’m very happy that I did.  Living among mountains, I just do not get the fad for 1x drivetrains, too much compromise on the bigger, sustained steeper terrain, both up and down.  I’m getting up stuff that pals don’t even attempt on a 1x, yet I still have one gear higher up as well for fast road sections.

After a three day packing trip, a handful of woodland trail rides, one steeps day at Dunkeld and two big days in the mountains, I am one very happy customer.  I cannot see a significant problem with the frame or the setup so far.

“Set phasers to malky..”

otsdr
    Free Member

Also have a Helm Coil in mind, only “problem” is they’re not yet available in black and the gray frames were the first ones to go. Oh well…

highlandman
    Free Member

Grey fork looks fine on the black frame.. Anyway, does one not buy a coil fork for performance, first of all..?

Even still relatively new, this set is already comparable to my coil Lyrics on the big bike and they’ve been on some pretty interesting terrain for a 130 fork on a hardtail.

I suppose that I do have one slight complaint about the Solaris Max frame… Now that I have ridden it, all the other bikes have shrunk!

Alex

Mine’s the other way round! Getting on it after riding my RipMo for two months, it felt tiny! I’m glad I went medium tho – after two rides I absolutely love it in the local woods here. Amazing grip, quick to change direction and really easy to move about.

My mate has one and he fancies the Coil Helm as well. I’ll stick with the Pike for now but come winter I’ll need a *proper* 29 boost fork.

Long ride tomorrow – probably 60k ish. That’ll test whether 6 months of Pilates has strengthened my core!

metalheart
    Free Member

Did an approx 30 mile ride today, including the ‘Lairig Ghru’ descent which was chuffin brilliant (never done it before). Bike was fine until my legs had difficulty with all the standing (not used to it). Flicked around the roots, rocks and shutes with aplomb. Fair chuft I was

Alex

Two generations

[url=https://flic.kr/p/273UudW]A collection of Solaris'[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/273UvX7]A collection of Solaris'[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Noticable how much steeper MK1 is on head angle, slacker on seat angle and shorter in the rear. Had a fab ride in the FoD today. Rode some stuff I’d yet to manage on my FS.  Was definitely a re-learning experience tho riding harder trails on a HT.

Blooming good fun tho. What a fun bike. Proper hooligan. On my ‘old’ MK1 I ran 12/12 in 2.8 chubbies but not sure I want to go that low on rockier trails.. what’s everyone else running?

Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/273VSnJ]Big rock hunting in the FOD[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Pic from a mate’s phone. It’s steeper than it looks, it’s a place you really don’t want to crash as there is nothing soft to land on, and I’m less calm than the blurry photo may suggest 🙂

pampmyride
    Free Member

Trying to post flickr image & failed, tried to delete blank post, but failing to see how. It’s going well!

the00
    Free Member

Looks good Alex. I like the way the Kashima matches the frame decals.

I’m running 29×2.4 tyres, with lots of air so I don’t have too ride gently.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 440 total)

The topic ‘Longshot SolarisMAX – when?’ is closed to new replies.