Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 440 total)
  • Longshot SolarisMAX – when?
  • cokie

Bah, lucky! Guess you get it tomorrow then? I’ve got nothing yet. What build are you going for?

Lots of orange bits have arrived now 🙂

Metasequoia

I just tried to order an XL one in grey or black- run out already…ho hum…

chevychase

Wanted to sit on an XL and a Large before ordering.  Can’t believe they’re out already 🙁

andykirk
    Free Member

XL in the good colours all gone!  Did they only order 3 in each colour or something?  Or are we witnessing the birth of the most popular mountain bike everer?

kelvin

There are XL left in the Green only.

If you’re after a Large in either Dark Metal or Cosmic Black… act quick. Or Medium in Green… only a few of each of those options left.

International sales have been very strong.

andykirk
    Free Member

Any idea when the next batches will be coming in Kelvin?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Oh so glad I’m a medium, just ordered a medium in dark metal , short 35mm stem sold out though until late next week so it’s on pre order. Hope orange hubs waiting to be built up. 😁

kelvin

I imagine the next SolarisMAX batch will be early next year… there are (counts in head) 8 other models that need restocking before this one. If you want one, don’t wait.

brassneck

Mine’s a Medium Cosmic Black. Going for a JPS build 😀 – the TNT tracking isn’t working so I’m in suspense .. hoping it doesn’t magically start and say ‘south china sea’.

Goldie Lookin’ Chain natch. ‘None more’ Black cassette. Cranks too I guess though I’m torn as I heel rub badly.

Have been browsing old black and gold Mono Minis but I hate the old style levers, and building a mix’n’match will get pricey so it might be black shimano.

kelvin

I have a set of those brakes in a box somewhere! Great idea. Although, we all know bargain modern Deore brakes are better.

Chain a good idea as well… what’s best, in gold, for 1×10 ?

cokie

Sounds lovely Brassneck 😀 !

Still tentatively waiting on my dispatch email..

d4ddydo666

@metalheart for suspension settings i found an article that explained it well and it boiled down to:

High speed compression – all the way off, add enough to not blow through the travel if you find it does (nothing on my Vengeance)

Low speed compression – enough to stop wallowing in the travel/reduce brake dive (I think I’m about a third on)

Rebound damping – as little as you can get away with… less damping means the tyre can track the rough surfaces better, too little will pogo you off quite forcefully but I don’t have much of this dialled in either.

n.b. I need to change to a softer spring in mine so that might affect how I set up the dampers when it’s done

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I was hoping to buy one of these, but it looks like they will be sold out of frames by the time i’m ready.

Polisherman, if you choose to sell your Tarn frame, I would be interested in buying it…

cokie

Hmm, TNT is filling me with confidence..

cokie

I know what I’m doing this evening 😀

kelvin

Did you manage to find any orange bits for your build?

cokie

Finished a shake down ride earlier. Few bits need adjusting, mainly cables and bar height.
    First impressions are great though- stable and fun. Not sure how Cy’s managed that. My concerns around the long, slack and low geometry affecting fun where wrong. It’s easy to manual (easier than my shorter CS Whyte for some reason)and no problems kicking the back out, yet stable when needed to carry speed for both climbing as well as descending.

I’ve got a 4hr ride planned tomorrow, so shall feedback.

<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”></span>[url=https://ibb.co/bGcAXy][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/hLp2ed][/url]<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;”></span>

superstu
    Free Member

Woof! That looks great.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Awesome looking just the combination I’m doing  as well is that a medium?

cokie

Yup, medium.

Quite happy with the Slik wheel and fork decals. Pretty good match.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Yes I must remember to get those , my new Fox Rhythm fork came with green graphics. Are those 2.4 tyres I’ve Continental black chili 2.4 front and back to go on.

cokie

I’m running 2.3, but with that much clearance I’ll be upgrading to some wider tyres. Would be rude not to! Just need to borrow a few to see what I can get away with..

roverpig

I have a strong aversion to grey bikes for some reason, but that is rather lovely.

timc
    Free Member

No dark metal XL? Is that until next year?

kelvin

Those XL Dark Metal sold very fast.

All the options are down to single digit figures stock wise by the way… if you want another option, be quick.

Re-stock “might” be before Xmas, but Cotic haven’t given a date, that’s just my guess given what else needs restocking before then. Early next year seems more likely to me. Don’t wait, order… ride!

timc
    Free Member

Pay day is today… another ocassion cotics lack of options for a big man leave me going elsewhere as i dont like those other colours, not for £600 anyway.

kelvin

“lack of options for a big man”

?

An XL big wheeled model, with proper reach, produced in three colour options… just selling out fast. Anyone wanting any other size will be in the same position very soon I suspect.

timc
    Free Member

If its sold out (because such a small amount were ordered) its not an option is it i guess?

bit like xl soul back in the day…

kelvin

The Dark Metal and Cosmic Black options have proven to be very popular…

vicksplace

Stop it you filthy enablers!  I don’t need to replace my mk1…

But… Hypothetically, I wonder if I’d fit a small or a medium?  I’m 5’7 on a good day and female.  My other Solaris is a small but I’ve always felt it too small.  These are so different though.

kelvin

I’ve always ridden large Souls (not the latest version). I’ve held off on the Solaris ’till now, as the medium was too short, and the large too high. The new Solaris in medium is perfect for me. You may well be a small. I’m 5’11’.

chevychase

@kelvin – I guess lack of options is a reference to the fact that preferred options have sold out in just a couple of weeks.

Fully intended to buy one but I’m between sizes and really want to sit on one but sold out in two weeks? 🙁

Hats off for great bikes and a successful business, but work to do on supply chain logistics?

kelvin

It’s a fast seller. Act quick, or wait for a future batch.  Not sure what other recommendation to make? Plenty of XL in Green still. Others sizes still in stock in all colours (although medium Green nearly all gone, as are Large in the two “new” “colours”). I suspect lots of people have been waiting for this model since they’d seen the other longshot hardtails, hence a lot of interest the moment it went on sale to the public. Get on the COTIC mailing list if you want first dibs on anything coming in future.

cokie

Where’s everyone elses build photos?

Some feedback from me- I’ve done about 80 miles now of mixed riding. I live on the Ridgeway, so it tends to be steep up, flat, steep down, flat, then rince and repeat. I’ve used the same build kit that was on the Whyte, bar a shorter stem and different bar.

The build- few niggly bits when I first built it up, but soon rectified or got used to. Mainly a few burs on the seattube slot that cut up my new dropper post. The external cable routing (vs. internal on the whyte) takes some getting used to and I’ve had to apply much invisi tape. Interestingly, I’ve noticed that the seatube has a sleeve bonded (I assume) in. It’s light though and the colour is really nice.

So, climbing- it’s longer and more stable than the Whyte, and despite the slacker headangle and short stem (32mm), the long chainstays and wheelbase prevent the front wheel from popping up. It’s comfortable climbing and benefits from winching rather than standing and sprinting or husseling it up as on an XC bike. It got me a PB on a steep lose rocky climb without adding anymore effort. That’s the bit that blew me away. It’s a nasty climb with deep ruts and lose chalky rocks and gravel on top, yet the bike just dragged me up. In general though, it’s fine and get’s the job done. You just need to take your time. Something I’m not used to. I tend to try and get the climbs out the way as qucikly as possibly.

Cotic 1, Whyte 1.

It deals with the flats very well. Carries speed better than the Whyte over the dry chewed up trails. I would say that the trail chatter feels about the same. This might be because of the QR + alu on the Whyte, vs Steel + boost on the Cotic. No disernarable difference either way. I found myself in higher gears and general matching my PB (either exceedeing or riding 2nd-3rd time) which is good going considering the headwind recently and not feeling 100%. Early days, but it’s more comortable with the long TT, even with the shorter stem. I could see myself riding this all day without issue to cover lots of distance.

Cotic 2, Whyte 1.

Descending, leaving the best till last.. it’s the most competent descending hardtail I’ve ridden. I was pretty happy with how it rode until I reached one of my favourite descents- about 2 mins worth of Singletrack. Then it blew me away. The way it picks up speed is phenominal. Once up to speed it is remakably stable, yet playful enough to kick the back end out and manual or pull the nose over trail features. I was so comfortable that I could carve it lower and fast, staying off the brakes where I’ve never been able to in the past whilst staying lose. The lower ST, long wheelbase and slack HA are so noticable, and I was a skeptic to begin with. I have smashed every descent PB I’ve ridden, and it’s generally where I excel. I’ve ridden these trails hundreds of time on different bikes (inc. LT 29er FS bikes, ST 29er FS bikes) but the Cotic has categorically been the most fun and quickest. I can certainly feel the stiffer back end over the Whyte QR, but this make the bike feel more direct and gives a bit more confidence, at the expense of comfort. I’ve been laughing and shaking my head in dibelief at the bottom of every descent. Looks like an LS geometry 29er is the perfect tool for my local descents.

Cotic 3, Whyte 1.

Other musings.. Geometry-  It’s very easy to manual, which doesn’t really make sense to me. I can just pop it up and hold it without too much bother. However, it’s more difficult to kick the back out. I assume this is down to longer CS and wheelbase. I can still do it mind. Jumping also requires a little more effort over the Whyte, but with the added speed I’m able to clear larger features.

Dropper- I’m running a 150mm dropper which has been a weird sensation.  Previously 120mm is the longest I’ve run, but with 150mm the dropper just disapears. It’s made me realise how much I used to use the saddle for support, but also how instrusive it is. With it completly out the way, you can get really low and push the bike right over.

Debonair Airspring- I changed the travel to 130mm a month ago in anticipation of this bike, so ordered a Deonair Airspring from Bird (big thanks to Ben). This is one of the best upgrades I’ve made, despite it only costing £15 more! It’s added the small bump sensitivity that the Pike’s been lacking. I’ve ridden Pike in various forms since the 35mm version came out. I’ve akways liked them, but the small bump sensititvty has been poor. This fixes it, and with 2 tokens, it makes the fork nice and linear, with just enough tokens to ramp up at the end for the big hits. Big fan!

Gearing- despite running the same gearing, 32×10-42t, I find that I’m in between gears more so I’m shifting more. Not sure why, but I think I’m carrying a little more speed in general, so I’m sitting inbetween gears. I might need to play with a different sized chainring.. 34t oval maybe?

Overall, it’s a lovely bike and am very pleased. I wouldn’t say I suffer from new bike syndrome as I just move them on if I don’t gel (sometimes after a couple rides). I would highly recommend a test ride to anyone and mines available near Didcot, if you fancy a ride. The LongShot geometry is really good and has challenged my preconseptions in my head. Ignore the numbers on the page and go ride one. I think this might be the best bike yet for my local trails. I’m glad I waited and didn’t go for something else. Good job Cy and team!

benp1

Good review that, nice job

brassneck

Nice write up cokie –  I’m in the North Wessex Downs, but on the hills you’d see looking south from the Ridgeway.

I have an Absolute Black oval 32t if you wanted to try it? It won’t fit what I have ordered.

Mine is here. In a box. Looking at me. STW were right about cosmic black, though my kids are calling it Beetle Shell

Eagle on order, Levels too, wheels about to get clicked on. Economising with pre owned tyres, saddle and seat post, dropper will have to keep a bit (never had one so likely won’t miss it). Can’t wait now.

retrobri
    Free Member

Cheers for the review Cokie, excellent right up… I had a feeling that was Ridgeway when you posted pics last week. I’m down in west berks btw..  I run a 34t oval on my original Solaris (it works well), if I go for new version, I’ll run the same with 120 upfront

catdras
    Free Member

Bike looks mint cokie.

Really looking forward to my test ride on Sunday now!

andykirk
    Free Member

Can anybody tell me what type of CK headset you need for one of these beasts?

kelvin

Inset 7

More generally…

ZS44 top / EC44 bottom

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 440 total)

The topic ‘Longshot SolarisMAX – when?’ is closed to new replies.