Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 440 total)
  • Longshot SolarisMAX – when?
  • dlr

Looks nice but stack way too low for me like most of their frames, I need higher

metalheart
    Free Member

Extremely limited availability of first (air freighted) batch.

Dark metal for me \m/

metalheart
    Free Member

Now rated for up to 140mm forks.

and a bottle cage and framebag..

nice 👌

roll on the end of next week 🤪

kelvin

Looks nice but stack way too low for me like most of their frames, I need higher

The bikes are custom, so you can choose a 38mm rise alu or 40mm rise carbon bar. Add some spacers. Done.

andykirk
    Free Member

I like it, but I wish they had widened the rear end just a little.  29×2.6 are the bestest.

benp1

Why didn’t they put the extra bottle cage mount on seat tube like most other folks? I don’t really want to put a bottle down there unless I really need the extra capacity.

2 on the downtube inside the triangle seems odd

Also, if you wanted a rigid fork on there, can you get one long enough to make the geometry work?

kelvin

The video with Chipps & Cy explains the bottle bosses. Check the STW story:

Exclusive First Look: The New Cotic Solaris Max

benp1

Ah, good to know, will have a look

AlexSimon

Why didn’t they put the extra bottle cage mount on seat tube like most other folks?

Because you’d be limited to a short dropper post. This way you can get a 170mm dropper no problem.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I love the look of low stack, high rise bars. Not enough companies make 780mm bars with a 50mm rise.

kelvin

Renthal go up to 40, I think.

dlr

I run the Spank 800mm 50mm vibocore riser things. Look ridiculous but I don’t care.

roverpig

I’m running Renthal 40mm riser bars on my FlareMax. Looks (and more importantly feels) OK to me.

swanny853

ayjaydoubleyou

Worka components do one. It’s an external upper cup and basically slams the top of the steerer as far back in the headtube as it can.

kelvin

That reminds me… fitting an external top cup, with increased stack height over the internal one normally fitted in the 44mm headtubes of Cotics, is yet another way to get those bars a bit higher, if that’s your predilection.

NormalMan

@swanny853

As a couple of us, at least, have been asking / shown interest in this. Would you be able to do an update on how this rides?

Like I say, I’m at 120mm on mine and although it slackened the seat angle too, that hasn’t been a major issue. But seeing as slacker seems the way, it might be an idea I’d try before getting a mk4.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Answer protaper bars go up to 76mm rise if you want more height.

cokie

I’ve just compared the geometry to my current bike. It’s not as radically different as i was hoping.

I bought the Whyte to tie me over as a  cheap winter HT, but it actually turns out to be superb. I’ve been waiting for ages for this to replace it. It looks fantastic and is a step in the right direction, but I do wish they pushed some of the numbers a bit more. Currently running a 50mm stem on the Whyte, so a 35mm on the Cotic gives the same reach and SA/HA are the same. Longer stays is a negative in my book. Suppose the only way to tell is to test ride and decide if it’s £400 better than my frame. Also not a fan of the cable routing.

Both charts based on 120mm travel fork, 531mm static length, with 25% sag

chiefgrooveguru

“I do wish they pushed some of the numbers a bit more.”

Did you not consider that the short seat tubes on the new Solaris mean you can size up if you want an even longer bike?

chiefgrooveguru

Also, that isn’t sagged geometry for the Whyte, it’s static. You can see that if you compare photos of the bikes – the angles on the Cotic are slacker and the Whyte doesn’t have a 15mm higher bottom bracket or 40mm more stack height.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Goes to show how confusing only supplying sagged geo is, as some people will still compare it to other bikes static numbers.

Solaris looks great btw, although I prefer the seat stay detail on the small compared to the mini wishbone on the others.

TheGhost
    Free Member

The geo looks good. I had one of the Solaris Maxs from last year and it was great but too short. I’m on a SC Chameleon now which is awesome.

The Solaris chain stays are still too long on this update. I found a huge improvement in cornering when I switched to the Chameleon with 415mm chainstays.

cokie

Whyte aren’t particularly clear on how their geometry is measured, but it appears you’re right and it’s measured unsagged! Why can’t they just make it clear… (Stack is straight off their site and BB height was a conversion).

If that’s really the case, then I think I’ll get one.

metalheart
    Free Member

Who has kidnapped cokie and replaced them? Imposter! 🤣 A quick look at the FlareMAX geo would tell you what was coming… numbers are only numbers, proof of the pudding and all that. I knew my Sherpa was too short as soon as I sat on it (but it looked bob on ‘paper’) and that’s why it’s getting changed now. Sat on my mates FlareMAX the other day so know the reach is within the adjustment rails of the saddle (and the further forward, so prob better). So glad I didn’t go down the custom frame route as I would have royally **** it up.if your Whyte is ‘superb’ why change?

415mm chainstays? Is that a 26” wheeled bike? 😉 I’d suggest stay length partly for tyre clearance (up 29er 2.5”) is going push you back. And that Cotic have reasons for lengthening it on this iteration.

id better go settle my bill (and order up the missing odds and ends) or else I’ll not be getting my frame/forks next week….

NormalMan

Looking forward to seeing your build Metalheart.

Do you still have your mk1 as well?

cokie

Whyte’s great, but I’ve always fancied a Cotic and something steel. Didn’t realise the numbers would be so close, but turns out they’re not.

Green one for me then! Will keep the Whyte in case it doesn’t work out.

metalheart
    Free Member

@Normalman: what, this old thing? 🤣

metalheart
    Free Member

@cokie: you’ve missed the airfreighted one, main batch due mid June. Best pre-order…

i had a tough decision on the colour, the fact that I already have a green one and I needed to make my mind up quick before they went live. Glad the photos leaked to give me time to consider!

NormalMan

@Metalheart a thing of beauty 😎

metalheart
    Free Member

I lobbied extremely hard for the green first time around. I’d even go as far as say pestered

which made the choice difficult this time.

andykirk
    Free Member

Cokie – as a matter of interest what size of tyre can you get on the back of the Whyte?

TheGhost
    Free Member

@Metalheart

I’m on the 2018 Chameleon with 27.5+ wheels and I’m running the dropouts all the way in at 415mm 🙂

Admittedly, I did move them out a bit to run my 29er 2.5 wheels in the winter.

I’ll be interested to know to reason for the long stays on the Solaris Max

psycorp
    Free Member

Hmmm, I was hoping this wouldn’t tick all the boxes.

On the other hand it’s £200 more expensive than a Nordest Bardino and has a paltry 2 year warranty.

Hmmm.

kelvin

The Bardino is quite a different beast though, isn’t it… not 853, about a pound heavier, longer travel… it is cheaper by a fair chunk, because of the use of cheaper tubing, but I don’t recall it being anywhere near £200 cheaper. They look like a riot though… and, personally, I love that colour scheme.

cokie

@andykirk , I’ve got a HR2 2.3 in the back with about 12mm space either side, so not too bad. Zero issues in the mid this year. Not bad for a 135xqr rear end.

pastyboy65
    Free Member

Rode the LS Solaris with Sam today at Gisburn. No doubt a cracking bike. The cosmic black paint job is stunning. Also really like the Soul. Might have to sell a Kidney.

psycorp
    Free Member

@kelvin

Seems Nordest have 2 different prices for the Bardino frame on 2 different pages of their website:

https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/bardino-frame

and

Nordest Bardino frame

Yes, some of the materials are different. Regardless of whether it’s 100 or 200 quid difference in price the difference between a 2 and 5 year warranty is considerable.

I don’t give frames a hard time, but still……………

cy

Hey guys, glad you like the look of the new bike. Just to answer the question, the chainstays are that long because in my opinion it works between with the geometry in terms of balancing your weight out between the wheels. With a longer rear end the bike climbs better, and in my opinion, turns better. It naturally puts more weight on the front of the bike, which is what you need with the longer front end. If you prefer shorter stays, that’s cool, there are plenty of other brands offering that.

Regarding tyre clearance, we have some new 29 x 2.6″ tyres coming fairly soon and I am pretty sure they will fit. However given I know that 2.5’s fit I have gone with that for now.

On warranty we offer 2 year free followed by 2 years half price replacement for workmanship and materials defects. People generally have very little call on either of these, and even when they have if you give a bit of a search on here you’ll probably find we tend to over deliver. We’re 100% behind our product and our customers.

Cheers,

Cy

cokie

Ordered. Dark metal and some orange hope bits.

Will run 130mm Pike to start and go from there.

Its going to be a long months wait..

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cooke that’s the colour combo I’d go for, if things improve with wife’s health I’ll be ordering one.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 440 total)

The topic ‘Longshot SolarisMAX – when?’ is closed to new replies.