Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 440 total)
  • Longshot SolarisMAX – when?
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Nobby nic 2.8s are terrible on anything other than dry stuff. The 2.8 maxxis dhr, dhf hr2s are worlds apart. I guess a 2.8 Magic Mary even more so but I’m happy with my dhr2 up front.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Just tried out the 29er wheels in mine for the first time as i’ve been on 27+ for 3 months or so, it was really good.

SolarisMax 29er

edge85

Do you prefer one over the other bungalistic?

I’ve only had two rides on 29er wheels so far but can’t see a reason to change.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bungalistic
    Free Member

Too early to say for me just yet. 29 feels more precise and I think it rolls a little better too, but that could just be tyre choice and lighter wheels. Need to see how it performs in The Lakes on rock as that’s where I quite like the fatter tyres so far.

EDIT: Will probably try larger rear 29 tyre with less pressure too to get a little extra comfort that the fat tyres can provide.

keithyr
    Free Member

ordering mine in the next few weeks, what are folks thoughts on fork travel?

im going with the xfusion mcqueen HLR, speaking with Cy he reckons 120mm with a 38mm riser bar for us tall folk on an XL. Was going to go with that or 130mm and a 30mm riser.

also anyone got any pics of the cosmic black with orange hope bits? – im looking to use my 29er wheels to swap in with which have orange hope rotors so trying to colour match obviously.

edge85

Thanks. This is my first 29er and love how the wheels roll when they get going. Being in the south east we don’t have rocks, just mud and roots!

I’m on a L in dark metal with orange Hope bits running a 140mm McQueen and a flat bar. The forks came set at 140mm so thought I’d try them as they are first. Still deciding on how many spacers but normally like a small saddle to bar drop. Might try a small rise bar and lowering the travel once I’ve had a few rides to settle in.

Alex

@keithyr- I ran mine first with 130 and now 140 x-fusion’s. Absolutely brilliant with the longer fork. Mine is a M if that makes a difference.

My Mk1 had some orange parts (fork decals, seat clamp, pedals) against the black/orange paint. It looked great.

Still not sure I’ll go 29. Maybe one day. The MM is such a brilliant tyre, not sure what I’d gain. Might roll a bit better but I don’t really care. Do quite a lot of 60km+ rides (including road) on chubby tyres, so not really bothered about efficiency.

Alex

Oh and I run a Vibrocore bar with not much rise. I prefer the front end a bit lower.

bungalistic
    Free Member

140mm travel up front here too with 20mm rise bars. If I was just going to run it as a 29er 130mm travel would be fine but the little extra when running the 27+ just gives a little more pedal clearance.

Kryton57

Alex – I’m also 5’11 / 181 cm and would have plumped for the large according to the chart.   How are you getting on with the medium and what did your discussions with Cy reveal about sizing vs the chart recommendations – assuming you don’t have short legs…?

Alex

Hi Kryton – Cy and I have had MANY conversations re: sizing. He always wants to put me on a large and I’ve demo’d both sizes repeatedly (original 26 rocket, original solaris, FlareMax etc). Because I have short legs and I like smaller bikes, I’ve generally gone Medium.

‘My’ MK1 Max was a bit small but I bought it for my daughter who (was) 5ft9 and it was perfect for her. She’s grown a bit more and prefers ‘mine’ now.

I’ve not ridden a L MK2. It probably is the ‘right’ size for me, but I don’t feel cramped on the M, I’m running a 170mm post and a 50mm stem. I absolutely love the bike as I keep saying and had many all day rides on it, including taking it to Wales and the Quantocks.

When I get back on my RipMo (L but very short seat tube), it feels enormous for a few mins. Shame you’re not a bit closer as you’d be welcome to borrow it. If you find yourself up near the FoD, let me know. I’m unlikely to come and ride round the SE tho!

Kryton57

Thanks Alex – and thanks for the offer!  I’m probably not looking until late summer as I need to discover falling in love with MTBing again before I invest, but am often travelling so may give you a shout.

The more I look at it though the more a 140mm Solaris feels “right” for everyday, likely leaving me with my Spark for racing.

Alex

I bought a 2nd hand Bird Aeris 120 for winter as I didn’t want to ride the RipMo in the slop. I’ve hardly ridden it. Not because it’s a bad bike, but because I can never find a reason not to ride the Solaris.

I’m sure if I lived somewhere really full on and rocky, I’d need something more of a skills compensator, but for FoD/Malverns/Black Mountains etc, its been brilliant. I might not be going as fast as on the full suss, but I an having at least as much fun.

timc
    Free Member

I have an XL Soda Max currently running 120mm Yari & Nukeproof Horizon Bars with 38mm Rise, x1 10mm spacer under the 35mm Cotic Stem, Travel has been plenty, but I’m about to change to 140mm to get that little extra height at front end., Can report back in a couple of weeks!

keithyr
    Free Member

Timc, any chance you could PM me a pic of the front of the bike with the 38mm bars, cant imagine how it looks installed as usually have 10-20mm risers.

be interested how you get on with the 140mm travel also.

cheers.

timc
    Free Member

PM me your mobile & ill txt them over

Alex

So after 8 months and 1200km, I tried mine on 29s.

These were borrowed off my RipMo. American Classic 32mm internal, MM 2.35 front, HD 2.35 rear. Rimpact in both. And… I didn’t like it. Well not as much.

I was – in no particular order – still full of cold and cough and that’s definitely making me grumpy even riding. I was also still very aware of the crash I had two weeks ago and that’s slowing me down. Expected conditions to be horrible, but actually pretty good in the FoD.

I’m trying to work out what I don’t like – as opposed to just not having a great day riding. It definitely rolls faster, accelerates faster and carries speed on flow-y trails. But it feels really harsh after chubbies, just getting bounced about. Didn’t feel I had as much grip but that’s probably post-crash caution.

I tried dropping the pressures which helped a bit, but never really gelled. As I have spare rotors, it’s just a cassette swop to switch between. Think I’m going back to ’summer’ chubbies with Rekons F&R. Might try 29 experiment again when I’m better, but not for a while.

TLDR; it’s still a great bike, but it’s not the bike I absolutely love on the 27.5 2.8s.

kelvin

I’m still on 29er front, chubby rear. Perhaps you could try it while you have both sets of wheels on the go. A fatter front 29er tyre would be better with that set up though.

Alex

It was definitely the rear where I was feeling it! I could do that- never occurred to me. Got to be worth it if just for a laugh 😉 I have some new wheels for the RipMo with 2.5 Maxxis tyres on 35mm internal dimension rims. That would also be worth trying.

duckman

Before I preorder the black, does anybody know what the other new colour is going to be? The red isn’t for me.

keithyr
    Free Member

i’m thinking the same, not too keen on the red so was going to go with the black. Hadn’t heard about a possible new colour though……waiting with interest.

ssboggy

I was told last week the new colour will be green, I think dark green. Don’t think the new colour is on the website though.
    I test rode a large last week and ended up ordering one in cosmic black to replace my mk 2 Solaris

bungalistic
    Free Member

I find it a little harsh with 29er wheels too, so I often run mine in 27+, not tried running mixed wheel size yet but I have been tempted just because you can.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve placed an order today for a large cosmic black frame. This is to replace the original Solaris I purchased in 2012. To a certain extent its also to replace my FS bike which will donate the parts for the build.

I intend to run it as a 29er with 2.5 Maxxis rubber on 30mm internal rims.

The forks are Fox 34 Factory FIT4s with 140mm of travel. Whats the consensus on the sweet spot? I was intending to run these at 120 or 130mm with a replacement air shaft.

Alex

140mm is good. Had 130 originally. Not sure I can tell the difference but 140 is definitely better 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

The forks are Fox 34 Factory FIT4s with 140mm of travel. Whats the consensus on the sweet spot? I was intending to run these at 120 or 130mm with a replacement air shaft.

I’ve only run at 130mm but if I could work out how to step up to 140mm (easily) on my HELMs I would.

Why not try it at 140mm first. You can always drop the travel later if you don’t get on with it…

edge85

So after taking a battering on the rocks at Afan this weekend, I’m thinking of trying a 650B plus wheelset. Does anyone find that they provide more cushioning than standard 29 tyres?

The bike felt really good with 140mm forks though and even beat some PR’s that had been set on an old Orange five.

kelvin

I’m still rocking a 275Plus rear wheel for comfort, 29er front wheel for control and handling. I know I should shut up about it, but it’s still surprising me how ace my SolarisMAX is with that combo.

john_l
    Free Member

What size tyre on the front, Kelvin?

kelvin

swanny853

the new colour will be green, I think dark green

If that’s the same colour as the new Flare, I am really going to have to fight not to reach for the credit card. If it’s the BRG from a few years back, less of a fan and I think the old Mk1 will keep going for a bit longer!

edge85

Sounds like that could be a good compromise Kelvin. I really like how it handles and trucks over rocks with the 29er wheel.

chakaping
    Free Member

The forks are Fox 34 Factory FIT4s with 140mm of travel

I have the black stanchion-ed version of those on mine, set at 140mm.

It’s fine in both 29in and B-plus. doesn’t feel too high or raked out. I’d be nervous to go shorter travel in B-plus, though I don’t think the BB is as low as my old Solaris mk2 with a 120nn fork and B-plus.

HTH.

ssboggy

Not long to wait now!

oreetmon
    Free Member

British racing green frames land in 4 weeks, pics going live on site approx Monday.

been waiting a 6mnths for this.

New bike time 😎

notmyrealname
    Free Member

How’s everyone finding their Solaris’ (Solari?)

Still loving them or has the initial new bike novelty worn off?

I’m still really tempted to get a frame and build it up with the parts  off my Giant so 120mm Reba forks, 1×11 NX groupset, Hunt wide XC wheels, nothing too bling.

From everyone’s experience, would it work ok with 120mm forks as a do-it-all bike? Enough for long days out in the Downs, the odd Lake District trip then possibly a 12 hour XC race here and there.

Am I looking at the wrong bike to do all of this?

chakaping
    Free Member

My love is undiminished, or even increasing.

Can’t comment from experience on running one with a 120mm Reba, however it may feel a bit under-forked (in burliness not travel) for the speed the bike wants to go. Or it might be totally fine, especially if you’re light.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The plan would be to upgrade the fork to a Revelation or similar when one comes up in a sale somewhere!

I’ve not really rode any MTB for the past year or so so I won’t be going nuts on the bike for a while  yet!

peteimpreza

120mm travel is bob on for a Solaris/Soda.

However, it needs to be a good fork, stop messing around and get a Helm.

Got one on my SodaMax set at 120mm and I never think I am under forked. Awesome bit of kit.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

stop messing around and get a Helm

As nice as I’m sure they are I won’t be spunking £700 or £800 on a set of forks!

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 440 total)

The topic ‘Longshot SolarisMAX – when?’ is closed to new replies.