Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 440 total)
  • Longshot SolarisMAX – when?
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Cheeers for the pics, managed to get a quick look at the first XL shot before it disappeared but can’t see any of the others now, is it just me or is it a hosting issue?

the00
    Free Member

My initial posts on page 7 still work for me. Don’t know why they don’t on page 8.

swanny853

improved colour scheme

Only if you’re trying to stop people stealing it!

(I liked the green)

the00
    Free Member

the00
    Free Member

Fixed it

the00
    Free Member

If you want alternate cable fixings, then these look like they should fit:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ragley-cable-guide-kit/rp-prod104665

I don’t have any experience, but they might be more secure.

I don’t understand why a new cable should be so kinky though. I can see why hydraulic hose might be a problem though.

the00
    Free Member

Andykirk – I like the blue 🙂

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks the00.  It’s grey.

the00
    Free Member

No, it’s black and gold 😉

Alex

Switched mine from 27.5 boost Pike 140mm to a Fox 34 29 boost 130mm

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aBoBpu]Solaris MAX on 'proper' 29in fork[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I’m not sure I can tell the difference. Front end is 10mm higher (due to a-c difference) but I just removed a headset spacer. Fox isn’t quite as good as the pike but in local woods, I was having such a good time I hardly noticed!

Absolutely love this bike. Ridden my RipMo once since I built this. Had a great trip to Quantocks and a few full on days in the FoD. And when the slop comes, I can fit my spare 29 wheels in that fork.

metalheart
    Free Member

Took mine over the Burma road and the Goat Track into Carrbridge today. I’d to stop on the way down off the Burma Road and wind off all the HSC circuit on the McQueens which are now working better (dropped 10 psi, could probably lose another 5…).

ive put 500+ kms on the mk1 bikepacking last couple weeks so great to get the new one back out.

im loving both versions atm.

cokie

Still enjoying mine. Out yesterday on it’s first wet ride. Forgot how slippy polished chalk is. It still suprises me with how quick and stable it is. Booking onto an uplfit day at BPW and A417- never done a trail centre on a HT (Swinley excluded..).

kelvin

Love the lock of that build.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had a demo on one last week and I’ve done some words, definitely gonna get one now…

Cotic demo day – SolarisMax and FlareMax

Alex

Good write up that.

I bought a M Mk1 FlareMax when Cy reckoned I should have got a L (I’m 5ft11 but short-legged). Just got a 150mm post in it. Rode in 90% Chubby all over the place and it was a great bike. Sold it because I’m an idiot with too many bikes. The new one looks great but no room in the shed for another FS.

I’ve had both the MK1 solarismax and now a MK2. Again both Medium and the MK1 was a bit small (it’s actually my daughters) but I’m really happy with the M MK2. I could have gone L but I can run a 170mm post and I prefer the smaller frame.

It’s kept my other really nice bikes in the shed. Taken it to some rocky places as well. Doing a classic black mountains loop on it tomorrow so be interesting how that compares to the many times I’ve ridden the route on various FS.

The Rekon’s aren’t quite man enough, especially on the front. For winter I’m not going 29, I think a 2.6 Magic Mary and something similar sized on the back is a better/cheaper option.  It’s crying out for a Pike 140 tho..

metalheart
    Free Member

Alex, how are the Rekon’s on the back?ive been running a Ranger on the bikepacker but it’s getting worn. I just happen to have a Rekon kicking about, fit it or get something a bit chunkier you reckon….?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s kept my other really nice bikes in the shed. Taken it to some rocky places as well. Doing a classic black mountains loop on it tomorrow so be interesting how that compares to the many times I’ve ridden the route on various FS.

How did it go? I was amazed how well the demo bike coped with Grizedale.

The mk2 with plus wheels has kind-of rekindled “riding in the woods for fun” for me and the new one seems to kick that up several notches.

Alex

It was great. There’s a pedal section near the end of lots of rocks which got a bit old, but the rest of the ride was brilliant. Good conditions helped. Had a lot of fun picking better lines than my normal plough though, and it’s amazing how well the bike will go if you trust it.

Still want a bigger fork tho 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aq7vxv]Classic Black Mountains Loop – Oct 2018[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

What fork do you have now? I found the 130mm X-fusion one on the demo bike OK but it didn’t feel as nice as my the Luftkappe-d Pike on my Solaris or the Fit4 Fox 34 on my Smuggler.

Think I’ll put the 34 on the Solaris, as it’s light and 140mm and the damping’s really lively.

Alex

It’s a Fox 34 Float 130- Grip damper. It’s a fin fork, but I just prefer the pike…

forge197
    Free Member

chakaping – your SolarisMAX review is pretty much my view too, almost word for word, it’s a an incredible hardtail and has so much stability and speed.   Had a great 25 miles around Glentress today such a fun bike and don’t feel utterly battered.

Probably the best best bike I’ve built up and I’ve built a few, love how it climbs, decends well, handling just spot on.

I’d given up on hardtails as didn’t really get on with them, so hadn’t ridden them for a few years, tried the SolarisMAX at Ardrock after the STW review, so pleased with the SolarisMAX

chakaping
    Free Member

Good to hear that. Do you have it set up 29er or B-plus?

forge197
    Free Member

B-plus HR-II 2.8 Rear and Front.

Alex

B+ for me. The Rekon+ are getting a bit tired so I’ll swap them for something a bit more meaty as the trails go to slop.

chakaping
    Free Member

Last week I got a pair of HR2 2.8s (dual compound rear and 3C front) for £100 posted from bikecomponents.de

Hardly small change still, but seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

Got to buy the frame to go with them now really, haven’t I?

cokie

I see a few of you have swapped between 29eer & 650b+..
    I’ve got 29ers 2.3” on Hope Enduro rims. It’s been great, but wondering about trying 650b+ on this bike.
    Only ever ridden ‘+’ wheels on a rigid, so not sure what it would be like on a hardtail, especially this one..

Any comparison would be interesting to hear!

chakaping
    Free Member

From using both on the mk2 Solaris, they feel really different – it really is a two-bikes-in-one thing.

B-plus = lower BB so much more stable, waaaay more cornering grip (when it’s dry-ish), more playful feel

Alex

Yet to ride mine on 29. Doubt I’ll bother now you can get some aggressive 27.5×2.6, The BB is quite low (exp with 175mm cranks) but I prefer HT on chubby rubber.

metalheart
    Free Member

My mk1 SolarisMAX has 2.8/3.0 WTB B+ and is set up for bikepacking.

i done a fair bit on this year, including the Affric Kintail Way and the cracking descent off Bealach Dubh (the side of Ben Alder) twice this year fully luggaged up. It’s been brilliant. I’ve also ridden the B+ Stanton ( 2.8” HR2/DHR2 on scrapers) around the puffer course quite a few times recently, masses of grip.

the new SolarisMAX has 29er on XM481s/HR2 & Ardent. It feel’s significantly faster than the other two. As I need to get the Sherpa back wheel boostinatored I’ve not done a direct comparison. I miss the cushion and grip but accept the speed trade off.

Alex

I’ve ridden my Mk2 for 80km this week so far. 40km in the Brecons and two rides in and around the FoD. Not sure my ageing skeleton would have managed than on a non plus, stiff hard tail!  Anyway with the slop just around the corner, I’m going to make some changes

– rather than buy a new fork, I’m going to swap the Fox Float 34 for the X-Fusion McQueen on my Mk1, extend it to 140mm. 130mm on the MK1 might be a bit much but it gives me a good excuse to ride it again/

– Swap the tyres from worn Rekon+ 2.8s. Dithering over a Magic Mary/Nobby Nic 2.6 combo or a DHR/DHF 2.6. I prefer the MM as a winter tyre and if Schwalbe made a 2.6 Hans Damf I’d probably go that way. Could of course have a MM front/DHR back but that just feels wrong! Maxxis I think, seen a pair for around £80.

– Shorter cranks. I’m dithering again on this one. I have some lovely 175mm XTRs I bought cheap (ish!) a while back but I do get quite a few pedal strikes. If I go shorter, I’m going 165 probably XT as CRC have a set on offer.

Even so the tyres/cranks will be cheaper than buying a decent boost rear hub and spokes to rebuild my non boost rear wheel on my spare set of 29s.

I think ‘keeping it chubby’ with 2.6s is the right way to go.

cokie

Alex, when you say swapping from 2.8 to 2.6, is the 2.6 still 650b+? Seems a fairly small tyre. Wouldn’t that in essence make the bike a 650b?

I’m going to keep my eyes out for some Plus wheels and run them as spares. Problem is my front fork is a 29er, not the boost variant, so a little less clearance.

Alex

I’m not sure what the definition of 650b+ is any more. But I have 41mm rims so a 2.6 will come up nice and chubby.  The option is to get the 2.8 DHF/HR combo as there is room for them (I have a boost fork) but I’m wondering how much difference there will be.

I have a mate with a 2.6 butcher he’s going to lend me so I’ll set that up and do some measuring before I buy any new tyres.

mccraque

Schwalbe made a 2.6 Hans Damf I’d probably go that way.

I think they do make one, Alex…. https://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m10b112s546p7518/SCHWALBE-Hans-Dampf-27-5-inch-x-2-6-inch-Addix-Apex-Speedgrip-Snakeskin-2019

and the Butcher comes up pretty small. Mine is 2.4 on a 30mm internal rim.

Alex

@mcc- thanks for that. Good to know. I’m still not sure which way to go tho…

Alex

Right after further ditheration, I’ve gone with the frankly monstrous Magic Mary 2.8 (blue stripe) which somehow makes the similar sized DHF look like a racing slick. I’m sure it’s going to be as draggy as hauling a dead bear behind me on the climbs, but I’m hoping it’ll have enough grip to stop me smacking one of the many trees on our already muddy trails.

To compensate (possibly over compensate), the rear is getting a 2.6 Maxxis Forekaster. Read a few reviews and seemed to be an equivalent of a Hans Dampf. Could have gone with one of those (or even a NN as the new 2.6s seems a bit more winter friendly) but decided on the Maxxis as a) never had one before and I intend to try every tyre in the world at some point and b) it was £35 posted.

Sticking with the 175 cranks at the moment and we’ll see how the pedal strikes go. Shall post a pic once they’re on.

Alex

Oh and different brands on the wheels is a first for me (like cross play and radials on the same axle for us old people) but they’ll both be brown for four months so I reckon I can swing it.

Real test will be can I ride these through the autumn winter and not have to rebuild my rear 29 on a boost hub.

cokie

Sounds interesting Alex! What forks are your unning to clear that sort of tyre (Pike or Fox 34)?
    Definitley interested in trying something like that.

Mudguards have gone on my Solaris and I’ve been out mudplugging. Best thing so far is the tyre clearance. Haven’t had to stop to clear the back out.

Alex

One of the reasons I sold my Smuggler was – even on Arch MKIII rims and 2.3 tyres – it didn’t take much mud to jam between the stays, or the back of the mudguard. I’m hoping for none of that this year even with the paddle steamer I’ve got out back!

I’m currently running a Fox 34 29 Boost, but I’m going to swap for my X-Fusion McQueen which even tho it’s badged as a 27.5 fork has a longer A-C than the Fox and more room under the arch to get a big tyre and decent mudguard in.  I’ve had a set of 2.8 Nobby Nic in there with lots of room to spare so I’m pretty confident there won’t be an issue.

bungalistic
    Free Member

frankly monstrous Magic Mary 2.8

I didn’t know they did one that big it must look huge, what rim width are these on?

Alex

38 internal/42 external 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 440 total)

The topic ‘Longshot SolarisMAX – when?’ is closed to new replies.