Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 259 total)
  • Lewis brakes – any good?
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

I’ve found hope greens to be a big improvement in feel and noise. It’s E4 not V4 pads though.

That was a typo, I went back to edit and it wouldn’t let me.

I’ve got some red, green and purple galfer as spares ready to go when the stock ones have worn out. Greens are great put wear fast.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

The mocal/forge and fake Adidas trainers is far worse. Lewis aren’t pretending their brakes are trick stuff. If that were the case they wouldn’t write lewis on them and they write something like stuff trick on them.

Anyone buying these Lewis brakes is buying them full well knowing they look similar to trick stuff but are made my someone else.

The lever adjustment and bleed port on the Lewis us so much better than trick stuff imo.

dyna-ti

They must be good, its 5 pages of arguments.

ogden
    Free Member

Classic STW 🤣

sharkattack

The mocal/forge and fake Adidas trainers is far worse.

And yet the embarrassment level of being caught with such a blatant ripoff is very similar.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

And yet the embarrassment level of being caught with such a blatant ripoff is very similar

Not at all. I’ve shown them to loads of people and they absolutely love them. Most poeple I’ve shown them to haven’t even heard of trick stuff.

One riding buddy has already ordered some Lewis after trying mine.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

<small class=”bbp-reply-post-date” style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; font-size: 10px;”>Posted 28 minutes ago</small>

ogden

Free Member

Classic STW 🤣

I honestly can’t believe what it’s turned in to. I honestly can’t believe what it’s turned in to. There are some very fragile and self righteous people on here.

I asked if the brakes were any good, so was expecting some yes, no, don’t know.

I’m amazed at all the hatred and abuse. They shouldn’t have commented with all the off topic stuff of mardy comments claiming what I’ve done is morally wrong.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m amazed at all the hatred and abuse.

Settle petal, the only ones getting abuse are Lewis who I’m sure couldn’t find a **** to give if they tried.

jamiemcf

I’m not in the market for brakes.
    I’m happy with my tech3 E4 for just now, 8 years in.

When I looked at the first image, I thought trickstuff. They may be great brakes but ripping off the design is poor form. If you’re producing a great product stand by it and bring a new design to it. Make it stand out.

If I reregistered here as matlockmeet to ride the wave of popularity that you’ve created on this thread, that would be equally poor form

matlockmeat
    Free Member

If I reregistered here as matlockmeet to ride the wave of popularity that you’ve created on this thread, that would be equally poor form

Depends if your surname is Meet.

Not sure why people are still getting hung up on this, some folk must have a very fragile state of mind that they get triggered so easy. The support tab on the lever clamp has been copied by either shimano or trick stuff, where is the outcry for that?

I think what really irks people is they’ve done a great job with these brakes.

nickc

Not sure why people are still getting hung up on this,

Because (for the nth time) really obviously stealing other peoples designs and passing them off as your own is a shitty business practice

some folk must have a very fragile state of mind that they get triggered so easy.

I think the only person on the thread who’s being triggered seems to be you really, you seem to be massively defensive and making up excuses about your decision to buy them. Look; most folks can’t afford Trickstuff brakes, but nevertheless probably admire them for what they are, and the craftsmanship and engineering skill that’s gone into designing and making them, and probably wish the company well. For some-one to come along and make brakes (however well they perform) that look identical; just sticks in the throat. You can claim all you like that they’re not Trickstuff copies regardless that they just happen to look identical. Or change the subject and suggest that Shimano or SRAM brakes aren’t all that good. But most folks can see this for what it is.

They’ll always be folks that don’t care about it, that’s fine, your money and all that, but at the same time, I wouldn’t be too fast to have a pop at folks for whom this crosses a line.

mashr

The support tab on the lever clamp has been copied by either shimano or trick stuff, where is the outcry for that?

Copying 1 feature isn’t quite the same as copying an entire assembly.

I think what really irks people is they’ve done a great job with these brakes.

No, no. People are being quite clear about why this has annoyed them and I’m sure by now you know it’s not that

ogden
    Free Member

I’m in the camp of ‘spend a bit more for a set of Hope brakes’ However I do wonder if these were £100 cheaper and anodised black if there would be so much faux outrage 🤷🏻‍♂️

tomhoward

Why didn’t you go with one of the countless other original options from, off the top of my head,

Magura
    Formula
    Hayes
    TRP

Or if you wanted niche CNCd ones
    Radic
    BSA
    Braking
    Intend

Instead going for untested, by anyone independent of the maker, knock offs?

Mintyjim

FFS leave him alone you vultures.

nickc

if there would be so much faux outrage

What makes you think that the “outrage”  is faked?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What makes you think that the “outrage” is faked?

Because it focuses on the “it looks like trickstuff” and ignores the “but trickstuff looks exactly like a CNC’d version of Shimano but with a SRAM level blade”. And as pointed out the leverage ratios don’t match trickstuff.

So we’re down to “it looks like another brand, that already looks like other brands”

ogden
    Free Member

What makes you think that the “outrage” is faked?

Because at the end of the day this is grown ups arguing about push bike brakes on the internet 🤣 if it’s not then you need to have a word with yourself.

kelvin

Of course, for the Trickstuff people it’ll be a business and a personal passion.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

kinda hilarious that those who’ve dropped a grand or two or more on trickstuff over the years and waited over a year for them to arrive have gotten their noses put out of joint and getting narky on forums, I personally couldn’t care less, there’s more pressing things to be outraged about, everything gets copied to some extent, if trickstuff have grounds to sue them then do it, if not then good on Lewis, I look forward to the anodised ones I’ve seen on Instagram coming out, I just might find them hard to resist, the fact it bugs trickstuff owners is an added bonus 😂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not a Trickstuff owner, I just don’t like folk getting ripped off. See also Giant. HTH

wzzzz
    Free Member

You can buy them a chunk cheaper on aliexpress

mc
    Free Member

And there starts the problems.

Although Chinese manufacturers can produce stuff as good as anyone, there are Chinese manufacturers who have no issues with copying other Chinese products, and cutting as many corners as possible, so you end up with complete potluck as to what you actually receive.

And having had a quick search, Lewis just looks like another version of a Zoom brake, and it really wouldn’t surprise if both originate from the same manufacturer. I’m sure if you could locate the actual manufacturer, they would knock you out a couple hundred sets for minimal cost, put whatever logo you’d like on them, and even tweak the design so it at least looks a bit different.

mashr

noeffsgiven
    Free Member
    kinda hilarious that those who’ve dropped a grand or two or more on trickstuff over the years and waited over a year for them to arrive have gotten their noses put out of joint and getting narky on forums, I personally couldn’t care less, there’s more pressing things to be outraged about, everything gets copied to some extent, if trickstuff have grounds to sue them then do it, if not then good on Lewis, I look forward to the anodised ones I’ve seen on Instagram coming out, I just might find them hard to resist, the fact it bugs trickstuff owners is an added bonus

Are there actually any Trickstuff owners on the thread?

razorrazoo

I believe so, you can usually track them down as they tend to show their superiority by mentioning niche brands that most don’t know of / can’t afford.

😉

simondbarnes

I think there’s one. I’ve never seen them before, if they look as shit as those Lewis brakes then I don’t want them.

walleater

I think there’s one Trickstuff owner on this thread and he has given rational advice on what to buy if you don’t want to / can’t spend $$$ on those brakes.

I also had a quick look and from what I can tell, in the UK you can buy Formula Cura 4 for the same price as Lewis. Work great. Original design within the parameters of not looking almost exactly like other brakes (and Formula were one of the first MTB hydraulic disc brakes on the market anyway), have spares available and are made in Italy if that counts for anything.

I’ve got nothing against most aspects of Lewis brakes. There is a lever / master cylinder that pushes fluid down a line and push some big pistons. All pretty basic and proven stuff. Personally though I think ripping off another companies aesthetics actually makes the brakes seem worse. If they’d have come up with their own basic design it would make them look less like a cheap knock-off. They currently look as trustworthy as that youtube ‘review’.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

And there starts the problems.

Although Chinese manufacturers can produce stuff as good as anyone, there are Chinese manufacturers who have no issues with copying other Chinese products, and cutting as many corners as possible, so you end up with complete potluck as to what you actually receive.

And having had a quick search, Lewis just looks like another version of a Zoom brake, and it really wouldn’t surprise if both originate from the same manufacturer. I’m sure if you could locate the actual manufacturer, they would knock you out a couple hundred sets for minimal cost, put whatever logo you’d like on them, and even tweak the design so it at least looks a bit different.

You must not have read all the posts.

These brakes are most definitely nothing like the zoom brakes.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Not sure why people are still getting hung up on this,

Because (for the nth time) really obviously stealing other peoples designs and passing them off as your own is a shitty business practice

some folk must have a very fragile state of mind that they get triggered so easy.

I think the only person on the thread who’s being triggered seems to be you really, you seem to be massively defensive and making up excuses about your decision to buy them. Look; most folks can’t afford Trickstuff brakes, but nevertheless probably admire them for what they are, and the craftsmanship and engineering skill that’s gone into designing and making them, and probably wish the company well. For some-one to come along and make brakes (however well they perform) that look identical; just sticks in the throat.

I can’t believe you are still letting it bother you. You can’t help but replying on my post.

I think you need to go back and read your posts and the way you’ve spoke. You’ve most definitely been triggered and got agitated at me for buying these brakes.

There was never any need for you to comment as you’ve had nothing constructive to offer.

I was simply replying to let people know the brakes have been working very well.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Why didn’t you go with one of the countless other original options from, off the top of my head,

Magura<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />Formula<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />Hayes<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />TRP

Or if you wanted niche CNCd ones<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />Radic<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />BSA<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />Braking<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />Intend<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000;” />612

Instead going for untested, by anyone independent of the maker, knock offs?

Very tempted by the Radic. I’ve already contacted them months ago and may still buy some.

As for the others, I’ve tried all of them above so not interested. 

I tried the lewis as I wanted to test out something new. I was intrigued by them.

I’ve got many sets of brakes so it wasn’t about buying some I already have or have tried. 

Will probably get the radics for spring 2024 and report back.

tomhoward

You’ve tried all of them?

Impressive.

Though I’m getting big astroturf vibes from the whole thread, if I’m honest.

mc
    Free Member

You must not have read all the posts.

These brakes are most definitely nothing like the zoom brakes.

Nothing like?

Other than the lever bodies look like the same basic design. Lewis have machined out more of the body and moved the bleed port, and added a bite point adjuster. The blades look identical.

Caliper wise, both are using two part calipers, with the only visual differences being the external machining. It even looks like they’re using identical pads.

I occasionally deal with China, and it really wouldn’t surprise me if the brakes came out the same factory. If you believe every Chinese company’s website/information page, China only has large companies employing hundreds of people, just to manufacture a few niche products.

The reality is those companies are selling other companies rebranded products, which are often near identical copies of someone else’s design. And most companies will brand what you’re buying with any logo you’d like, often for no extra cost. They really don’t care about copyright, trademarks, what logo that they’re putting on a product, or lying to purchasers as to where the product has actually came from.

susepic

Is this stupid thread still Fockin going? Jeez boys the pub’s open

shanner
    Free Member

Other than the lever bodies look like the same basic design. Lewis have machined out more of the body and moved the bleed port, and added a bite point adjuster. The blades look identical.

Caliper wise, both are using two part calipers, with the only visual differences being the external machining. It even looks like they’re using identical pads.

I occasionally deal with China, and it really wouldn’t surprise me if the brakes came out the same factory. If you believe every Chinese company’s website/information page, China only has large companies employing hundreds of people, just to manufacture a few niche products.

The reality is those companies are selling other companies rebranded products, which are often near identical copies of someone else’s design. And most companies will brand what you’re buying with any logo you’d like, often for no extra cost. They really don’t care about copyright, trademarks, what logo that they’re putting on a product, or lying to purchasers as to where the product has actually came from.

You really should do a bit more research before you post. It’s comical that you’re comparing them the Zoom brakes considering you haven’t held either in your hands or even bothered to google a technical drawing of the Lewis LH4 brake which is widely available. If you compare that drawing with the Zoom brakes and come away thinking they are the same then you’re probably not of sound mind and judgement.

Lewis brakes appeared in Chinese social media about 18 months ago and there are a few videos from inside their own factory where they are produced.

Maybe you picked up some Mandarin through your vague dealings with China? Have a look on Bilibili, there are countless videos about the brakes.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ZC4y1d7Yf/ heres one with the design changes compared to the original discontinued Takisawa brake that predates the LH4.

DickBarton

Are we now at the stage where this is all done by bots to drive up ‘interest’ in the product and get people buying as they disagree with some of the arguments and it drives them to purchase to score a goal against those they disagree with? 😉

This thread has certainly produced plenty of posts and a few have been getting evangelical about the brakes (despite them being incredibly new and only having them about a week or so – which is to be expected as there are many folk who spend money on something and then completely slag it off as soon as it is fitted).

It is getting boring now though as the remarks all seem to be a repeat from the first and second page, so hopefully there will be some updates with a different message soon.

mc
    Free Member

You really should do a bit more research before you post. It’s comical that you’re comparing them the Zoom brakes considering you haven’t held either in your hands or even bothered to google a technical drawing of the Lewis LH4 brake which is widely available. If you compare that drawing with the Zoom brakes and come away thinking they are the same then you’re probably not of sound mind and judgement.

I’m not that vested in the subject to go searching for drawings.

I was going by a cursory look at some photos, as I happened to be looking for something on Aliexpress last night and thought I’d have a quick look to see what all the fuss is about.

rothdogg
    Free Member

These brakes, if they are reliable and spare parts are easily available will become very popular. I’d definitely consider them on my next bike. I’d be interested to hear of your long term review @benpinnick as I respect your opinion on both quality and value for money.

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s disappointing how many freemembers/bots are evangelical about unproven Chinese tat rather than supporting UK manufacturing who apparently are incapable of making similar priced reliable/performing brakes.

finbar
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks China’s shameless copying of other companies’ IP is a harmless win for consumers could do worse than read this: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/beth-macy/factory-man/

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 259 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.