Home Forums Chat Forum Killing off a palm tree stump ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Killing off a palm tree stump ?
  • binman

Wu inherited a couple of palm tree type plants which fell over during the very cold weather last winter. I cut them back to stumps but they are trying to regrow. One of the plants roots is lifting up the tarmac so I would like to kill it off.

Any clue as to what I can do to kill it off for good ?

tthew

Dunno if there are different types, but the one I got rid of from our garden had the consistency of compressed grass rather than wood that could just be chopped though with a decent spade. So I just dug it out and as much of the roots as I practically could and chopped off the rest. Had to keep pulling baby ones out for a couple of years but that’s stopped now. 

binman

Cheers, was a bit wary of getting physical on it as I believe the services run underneath it and it’s roots run under the drive.

Was hoping their might be a chemical option.

ratherbeintobago

Take off a nuke the whole site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

(Or dig it out with a mattock)

stumpyjon

Drill some holes in it and pour in neat Glyphosate based weedkiller. Will get into the root system and kill it all.

slowol

Diesel is what the tree surgeon recommended to kill of a willow stump in our garden and it worked well. Don’t need much, about an eggcup full spread across and allowed to soak in.
    I will break down (eventually, like several years) and the amount shouldn’t be enough to cause contamination.
    Glyphosphate never decomposes whilst some bugs will eat diesel, just very slowly.

donald
    Free Member

Glyphosphate never decomposes

Glyphosphate has a half-life of 6 to 60 days in soil

slowol

Thanks Donald I was misinformed. Diesel also effective and up to you OP which you think is better.

stumpyjon

Would also be technically illegal as its not an approved herbicide unlike Glyphosate. The whole point of Glyphosate is its not persistent like the generation of herbicides it replaced.

binman

Thanks all  I have some undiluted glycophosphate stuff to hand whereas getting diesel is more of an effort.

Does it matter that the stumps are not fresh ?

I cut the trunks off last year ish, but shoot as are still coming out of the stumps.

jamiemcf

When the shoots come up, treat them. Treat the stump…. It’s all good

thecaptain
    Free Member

Best applied when actively growing AIUI. Possibly a bit of a waste to try it on a dormant stump in winter (esp. as not persistent as others have stated). Paint it on the leaves or drill a hole and pour in, but in the latter case again you want it into live parts not an inactive bit of stump where it won’t get taken up.

Diesel is just a nasty pollutant, I wouldn’t pour that in my garden (TBH a small amount won’t render the whole site toxic but seems a totally bizarre suggestion for a domestic herbicide).

TiRed

Killing bamboo with stump killer neat glyphosate is an annual ritual in this house. If I could use the bamboo to torture the previous occupants who planted it, and get away with it, I would. It comes in a box of small twist-off sachets, and I use these to douse the bamboo as soon as it’s cut to soil level. It works and will tackle a palm just as well. Cut off shoot and squirt neat into the cavity and it’s drawn down into the plant roots.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.