Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)
  • Keith Flint – Prodigy
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Crap. RIP and echoing reports that he was such a decent guy, also heard from others that have met him and said the same.

I’m no raver and have a wide mix of tastes, but aside from the hit stuff, I really got into the albums and would (and still do) listen to them over and over. They have a nice flow to them rather than just random tracks, and it’s not all crank up to 11 head banging.

Though this probably got me into them

mattyfez

Jilted was the pinnacle album for me, although outer space is probably thier most defining track for me.

A sad loss, as others have said, experience and jilted are just epic iconic albums. Fat was very good too but they had a tough act to follow.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ha. I think i am more prodigy than any of you.

Katie has just reminded me that we chose “Smack my bitch up” as the first dance at our wedding party…

mattyfez

Poison.. What a track, that bass drop with a good sound system that doesn’t go muddy with sub bass.. Not much comes close to that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh I dunno, my flatmate had a set of Tannoy studio monitors that gave birth to the Spitfire benchmark.

Our neighbours hated us.

jkomo

Saw them doing live PA’s at raves all over the place, when Keith was all curtains and smiles.
    Always a great show.
    Very sad.

Northwind

scud

Remember the Criminal Justice Bill, shows how scared the authorities were at the time, banning groups from assembling and trying to define a form of music purely as having a “repetitive beat” snuck quietly into the Bill going through, seems ridiculous now.

Yeah, I was just doing a “where was I when”. I wasn’t a raver at all, but the CJA was such obvious bullshit that I got pretty drawn into the anti/protest scene (it crossed over a lot into the punk and metal scene) and I just remember Ricky Warwick from the Almighty playing us Their Law off the back of a big army truck and just going, right, it’s not them and us- when right up til that moment being “us” had been pretty important for me. And then for me Pitchshifter (whose guitarist ended up joining the Prodigy funnily enough) and Fear Factory and Dub War and a load of others and then later on Pendulum covering Voodoo (and Metallica, in the same set) and a life of bands that didn’t give a shit where everyone said that line was but it all started with the Prodigy and axing the act and **** ’em and their law

aphex_2k
    Free Member

One of my best gigs was prodigy back in 94 or 95 at wolves civic hall. It was intense. So hot there was moisture dripping from the ceiling. Epic. Really touched a nerve. He was only here in Oz literally 3 weeks ago and I didn’t go as the new album wasn’t new enough for me. Regret not going now but who could have predicted this?

Will be having an inpromptu Prodigy session (with headphones) once the kids are in bed tonight.

Go light some fires Mr Firestarter. Enjoy the afterparty.

richardkennerley

I saw them at the g-mex in MCR probably around 97 I think. The Foo Fighters supported, before they’re made it big. A big section of the crowd were booing the Foo’s because the prodge were still perceived as a “dance” band. They were responsible for blurring that line I guess. Seems ridiculous now!

steve_b77
    Free Member

My cousin put Charly on when we were darn sarf one year and that got me into them, I reckon my favorite track of theirs is No Good, Start the Dance.

I was well into ICE in the 90’s and my God you could do some damage (to the unsuspecting public / passengers) with a proper set up, especially with the sub-bass stuff.

They blurred the lines as they evolved from rave / dance into rock ‘n rave and pretty mainstream and without them there would be so many acts that just don’t exist today. I suppose they’ll continue, but you never know.

Much like Chester Bennington, he was taken too soon and will be sorely missed by this jilted generation.

trumpton
    Free Member

aphex2k, theres a new album out now. Get it it’s brilliant.

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone else suffering with Prodigy induced ringing ears this morning?

I had to run an errand last night so was driving round town with Fat of The Land up at a mind-buggering volume.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Sad news indeed.
    Jilted Generation certainly a seminal album throughout the 90’s for me… But hey, what a full-on life led – owning a pub/McLaren F1 (the car obviously)/racing team,being with Gail Porter and made a lot of folk happy with a lasting legacy.And to top it off by being to all accounts a decent bloke.
    Sir, i doff my cap!
    RIP

retro83
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member
    root-n-5th
    Free Member

Seems he will be well missed. Interestingly I was listening to More Music for the Jilted Generation at the weekend, and there one of the extra track I had never heard before. It’s not Keith, but it’s brilliant.

I’m not huge on their later stuff, but there is always a track or two with the magical Prodigy ingredients – for me it has to have a good tune and be musical. I really like Stand Up on Invader (I think) – love the tune, love the use of chords and love the 303 at then end.

This is the track I found – a fan mash-up called Shut ‘Em Up and it is brilliant – I think you can hear how Keith was maybe influenced by Public Enemy / Chuck D to a certain extent as these vocals fit really well. Apologies if already been posted but it’s new to me!

stanfree
    Free Member

Devastating news that I had hoped wasnt true , I saw them back in the Rave days at Ingliston In Edinburgh about 1992 then again in probably 1994. They cut both gigs short as the PA system was shite . I think It was probably keith dancing in the jump suit with the curtain bob hair and beach hat that really got me into going to Raves , That and the disco biscuits. He was Johnny Rotten for the rave era despite Liam being the main talent of the band. Shame like the death of MCA we will never see the Beastie Boys again same goes for Keith and the Prodigy . Lets hope hes up there with some Cali Weed.
    Rest In Peace Firestarter…

‘When I was a youth I used to burn cali weed in a rizzler-a-rizzler-a-rizzler-a-rizzler-a ‘

Fire!!!

steve_b77
    Free Member

This is the track I found – a fan mash-up called Shut ‘Em Up and it is brilliant – I think you can hear how Keith was maybe influenced by Public Enemy / Chuck D to a certain extent as these vocals fit really well. Apologies if already been posted but it’s new to me!

Seen that before, it’s most excellent, also shows the heavy influences on Liam

franksinatra

When I was 17 my mate Toby was the first of us to pass his driving test. He spent £500 and bought a very old Ford Fiesta. He didn’t drive it but instead put in in his garage and cleaned/polished it to within an inch of his life. He also fitted the most outrageous sound system I have ever seen or heard. The car was crap, the stereo was phenomenal.

I will always remember the day the car was unveiled. We drove off to a world of independence, hope, opportunity and, more importantly, everyone knows that girls get very excited when boys have cars. Fact. We drove up to the local girls school and loaded up The Fat of the Land. Specifically, we unleashed Diesel Power. The bass was like sonic weapon. I very nearly shat myself. It was, literally, a seismic event that must have been felt for miles around.

To this day I do not understand how our bodies did not explode or how the windows stayed intact. Even more of a mystery was why the girls did not come flocking. We had a car, we had bass, we even threw in a (pretty limp) handbrake turn. What more did they need?

The Fat of the Land was a defining album in my youth.

cheers_drive

Fittingly today’s Facebook memory was a video of my then 1 year old daughter in her jumperoo raving to Smack My Bitch Up.

stanfree
    Free Member

Getting old and emotional means when a wee hero off mine heads heavenly I scour youtube for clips to console myself. Check this out . Its from a few years back but he nails the whole scene I think . So priviledged to have lived through the Acid / Rave era .

Rest In Peace Keith , you will be missed .

mattyfez

One thing i always liked about prodigy is they used a lot of guitar in thier songs on jilted which wasn’t really the in thing at the time, that really set them apart from a lot of electronic acts.

But that’s just one aspect.. A truly unique group of people. And a unique sound.

trap6
    Free Member

Yes stanfree,my thoughts exactly,i feel priveledged too,along with many others i bet,that era was one of a kind,the mystique about the whole scene,keith was one of a kind quite literally and a good ambassador for that whole genre of music at the time..
    Rave on Keitth!
    RIP

trap6
    Free Member

For me it was amnesia house ‘Book of love ’92,brayfield Northants,mahoosive intro for ‘Your love’liam kept rewinding the piano rifts on the keys,amazing how i van still think about i was there with 20,000 odd people loving the same thing,awsome!!

mboy
    Free Member

Got to admit, this has hit me quite hard. Didn’t know the guy, never met him, didn’t even know that much about him (though know a lot more now!) beyond being the legendary Prodigy front man, but my god he shaped my youth!

I remember my mate nicking his (rather hot) older sisters Experience tape whilst she was out at work, and the 2 of us (both 12 at the time) dancing around like loons to it. It had only just come out then, and little did I realise just what I was getting into!

FFWD a couple of years, though I was mostly into rock music still at this point, I picked up a copy of Jilted Generation on CD, and the rest is pretty much history! By the time Fat of the Land came out, I was frequently out to clubs and house parties (still underage) raving away, and well on my way to becoming a DJ. To say the Prodigy inspired me is a huge understatement!

I never really got into any of their later stuff, to me they were very much a band of their time (that time being the 90’s to me), but I do respect them massively for continuing to push the boundaries rather than just sitting on a fat pay cheque from a bygone era.

Learning of Keith’s passing touched a nerve for sure. I have learnt a lot about the guy that I didn’t know before, he seemed to be that rarest of celebrities that absolutely nobody seems to have anything negative to say about! Anything and everything you read about the man, he was loved, even by those who didn’t know him. James Blunt and Brian May’s twitter posts, you can rightly imagine the self styled “Firestarter” might be as easygoing as a 3rd World Dictator, but seemingly he was the total opposite. Reading about his love of motorbikes has struck a chord too, I knew he had an interest in them, I didn’t realise quite to what extent… Running his own team (not just financing it) in British Supersport and at the TT, where he actually won races as a team boss, is one thing. Learning that he was actually quite promising racer himself, in 98 he was running an ex John Reynolds BSB spec Ducati fairly competitively himself when he had an accident. He walked away from it, but he said it made him stop and think about priorities, at a time when he was touring a lot off the back of Fat of the Land and had a huge musical career going on, so he took the sensible option and stopped racing, but certainly never lost his love for bikes.

RIP Keith. A massive shame for certain.

chakaping
    Free Member

This popped up on YT today. Some great stories from BITD, could do with being a couple of hours longer.
    I was more of a clubber than a cheesy quaver, but still makes me a bit dewy eyed for that time…

geex
    Free Member

toby1

Just saw a post that he ran a 22 min PB at parkrun that very morning, the stuff going on that drove the music must have bitten hard later in the day.

Houns

Annie Mac having a tribute show now

aweeshoe
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge “Eight out of ten people considering suicide give some sign of their intentions. [2] People who talk about suicide, threaten suicide, or call suicide crisis centers are 30 times more likely than average to kill themselves. [3]” according to Mental Health America
    We should be listening to our friends more, the onus shouldn’t be on the sufferer to ask to talk or for help but for us to offer a bit of kindness

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge “Eight out of ten people considering suicide give some sign of their intentions. [2] People who talk about suicide, threaten suicide, or call suicide crisis centers are 30 times more likely than average to kill themselves

I’m not sure I agree with that, having known 2 people that have committed suicide I think it’s more likely to be the people you think are ok actually aren’t.

In my experience the people who say they are going to do it more than likely won’t.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

There’s a HEAP of tribute mixes around and I’ve listened to a lot… But this one is worth sharing.

trumpton
    Free Member

Drac

Impressive send off.

geex
    Free Member

:'(

wrightyson
    Free Member

Still feel very blessed to have seen them in ’94, a gig at demontfort uni that I will never forget for many reasons. Keep on dancing…x

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Keith Flint – Prodigy’ is closed to new replies.