Home Forums Bike Forum Just Riding Along MAP rims – experiences?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Just Riding Along MAP rims – experiences?
  • 13thfloormonk

Looking at a new wheel build, my preference is Pacenti (or equivalent Kinlin if I can persuade myself to forego pimpy decals) but the JRA MAP rim looks good, in fact, almost too good…

25mm deep, 19mm internal, aluminium, 440g.

https://www.justridingalong.com/product/map-rim/

Does anyone run these on road or as CX rims?

Ta

jameso

I’d be inclined to trust what JRA source, perhaps more than Pacenti rims based on my experiences of very light Pacentis splitting in under 18 mths (wasn’t due to tension) and JRA building me some 29er wheels (P35 rims) that are 9 years old, been very well used with zero issues and impressively true still considering how many loaded miles they’ve done and the number of dings I’ve pulled out of the rims.

RichBowman

Hi – I’ve got a set of JRA MAPs (full wheel build) – I run them on road and gravel. They’re great as far a I’m concerned. Is there anything specific you want to know about?

All the best,

Rich

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I do like JRA and they’ve come back to be (on a different point) with no reservations about my build or intended use.

It was the stories of (old) Pacentis splitting that put me on alert, I think they were just building them too light hence the splitting (think it was the rim beds). In Pacenti’s defence I think they actually offered an amnesty on the old design, and the new Forzas have been pretty bombproof under me on my ‘summer’ gravel wheels.

13thfloormonk

Is there anything specific you want to know about?

Thanks Rich, I guess I was just worried about durability given the above and how light the MAP rim seems to be.

How long have you had them?

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

I’ve a pair on my road bike, been faultless.
    I’ve had various wheels over the years from JRA, I’d say you’ll be fine. Nothing but good things to say about them.
    I must admit I was sceptical when they went from branded rim builds to own brand but no issues at all.

RichBowman

Not had them that long – think it’s coming up for 6 months now. Mainly been used with 32mm Conti GP5000s (been playing with 650b for gravel). I’ve had them set up with 42mm WTB Resolutes a couple of times, though. They were fine – especially going down a bit of a chunky trail which punctured my mates Gravel Kings and put a dent in a Hunt 4 Season…

As for their builds – I’m a fan. I’ve some Trail Dogs (happen to be in the classifieds at the moment) that I’ve had for 3, nearly 4 years and they’re in great shape and never needed truing.

I’d actually spoken to Jon about re-rimming those (as I’m now on 29er). Works out that it’s not as cost effective as I’d hoped (given I’d need a new free hub and end caps). But when I replace the OEM ones I’ve got right now, I’ll be giving Jon my money.

All the best,

Rich

alongo
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a set of wheels for the disc road bike and am thinking the JRA MAP full wheel build @ £390 is maybe best bang for buck wheels there is presently. I was considering a carbon set, maybe up to £1000 , I know they look better but weight is probably lighter than all but the top end carbon wheels. Other consideration is the Scribe alloy race wheels, which seem similar but have CX Ray spokes @ £370 . I have built my own rim brake wheels before but can’t quite convince myself to try a disc build .

13thfloormonk

Yeah, after badgering JRA with emails I’m feeling horribly like I’d rather build my own wheels with my ideal components (DT 350 hubs, Pacenti rims) at least I can buy some of the parts from JRA (and it would justify the tension meter I just bought from Wiggle…).

That said, if I was going complete I think I’d buy JRA over Scribe, just speaking with Jon and learning the sort of kit they have and tests they put their wheels through is pretty impressive, plus they’re much more customisable with your choice of decals etc.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Pacenti (or equivalent Kinlin if I can persuade myself to forego pimpy decals) but the JRA MAP rim looks good

Are MPAs not just Kinlins or something anyway. Can’t believe JRA are making their own rims.

(I do like JRA wheels by the way, though the last pair I got from them were branded stuff before they went ‘own brand’)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Just Riding Along MAP rims – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.