Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 2,990 total)
  • Just got Elite Dangerous
  • willard

@noone No, you made the right choice by using a PC (#pcmasterrace),

I’ve tried VR with a Vive and it works when SteamVR kicks it off. There is some tuning to do though and it is not the most modern of headsets. It is freaking awesome though.

YouTube is giving me a lot of recommendations on Elite Dangerous and VR now and some of them are Quest 2. I would start there

TheFlyingOx

Can anyone help?

I’ve just downloaded the game for PC via the Oculus store. When I try to start the game I can only get as far as the black screen that tells me to remove my headset and register.

So I did.

Now I get to that screen, login, link my account and nothing happens. Just the same process again.

Did anyone else have to deal with this? I’m not a PC person so definitely getting a little aggy with it. Should have just bought a PlayStation.

Cheers

Have you downloaded the Oculus Link software? Might be that? Although it does seem as though it’s not right rather than you doing something wrong.
    Don’t really know how the Oculus store works for PC so not much help there. Maybe get a refund from Oculus and then buy again using Steam? Works perfectly for me launching through Steam VR.

TheFlyingOx

Actually this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/dq8c92/bought_elite_dangerous_from_the_oculus_store_cant/ is suggesting just that – refund from Oculus and buy through Steam. Seems like a bug in the Oculus version.

If you are going to use the Steam version them you’ll need a controller of some sort – mouse and keyboard are pretty useless when you can’t see them. I just use a PS4 controller but found I had to use Steam in “big picture” mode to get proper controller compatibility for some reason. You also have to download Steam VR separately, but once you have it all it just works.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Seems there is a Logitech keyboard that is Oculus compatible, dunno how it would work in game though. I wasn’t looking at Quest 2s last night.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Did the training missions yesterday.
    Did it all with the keyboard which wasn’t great so going to get a flight stick or something to make it easier.

Once I feel I’m not totally bobbins I’ll join the stw pc crew.

willard

Skill is not a prerequisite to joining (trust me on this) and it is a lot more fun to fly with friends. It’s also a lot easier to gain money when you are part of a wing and some of the missions are better done that way too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just get on, none of us care. Happy to help you make money (when I get back on and actually in the bubble).

If you’re still in the pilots district don’t leave until you are being offered cash rewards for doing so, stack them until your missions are full and only leave then, it’s a free boost and gives you some money to play with.

Saccades
    Free Member

You can leave the pilots district asap if you join the squadron as cash will not be an issue, about 500mill was shared out yesterday.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes you don’t need to be good to play. Firstly, the game sends skill-appropriate baddies, secondly if you join our Discord you can arrange to fly in a wing where we’ll help you out. Well, I won’t, cos I’m on PS4 and I can’t.

willard

Happy to wing up if you are PC. The PS4 mafia are happy in their one happy little world right now with some sort of cow. We can find our own cow. With blackjack. And hookers.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You can leave the pilots district asap if you join the squadron as cash will not be an issue, about 500mill was shared out yesterday.

Yes but as we all know some members have a way of making the takings rather, er, one sided *cough*.

pondo

* Waves from The Abyss *

58.5k ly from home….

willard

Yes but as we all know some members have a way of making the takings rather, er, one sided *cough*

Steady now, you’re milking it…

@flyingpotatoes
    How are things going?

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Haven’t done much more than the training missions due to workload sadly.
    Hoping to get back on it soon.

perchypanther
    Free Member

* waves at Pondo *

That is very far away indeed. On the way to Beagle Point or on the way back?

Saccades
    Free Member

Jeez Pondo – I nearly went mental “just’ going to Sag A.

Have you met many carriers out there?

willard

Exploration takes a certain mindset.

pondo

* waves at Pondo *

That is very far away indeed. On the way to Beagle Point or on the way back?

Ooo – I’d never heard of it, but I’ll go looking for it now! 🙂

Jeez Pondo – I nearly went mental “just’ going to Sag A.

Have you met many carriers out there?

D’you know, I’ve had similar before and had to turn round before I got where I was planning – this time I just sort of enjoyed pottering out this ways, no time scale, scanning if I felt like it, not bothering if I didn’t. It has been quiet enjoyable. 🙂 Less excited about the journey back…. 😀

Playing in solo – saw one somewhere in The Centre. I was too scared to go anywhere near it. 🙂

Exploration takes a certain mindset.

It does! If I’m in the mood, it’s a very chilled way to spend a few hours and catch up with some podcasts. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Less excited about the journey back…. 😀

I believe there’s a station at Beagle Point.
    Go there, cash in all your carto data, take off, self destruct, choose the free sidewinder to start you back in the bubble with all your cash.

Saccades
    Free Member

Oh fudge, you hadn’t heard of beagle point and your 58.6k ly away? How?

If you decide to come back properly we can send a welcoming party to ensure you get to the bubble safely.

I drifted about picking random patterns of direction, then made a bit of a sprint to Colonia (reminded me of Australia 😐), got the centre and then the bottom and then made a bee line back to the bubble asap sick of the game. Was about 8 weeks til I started again.

pondo

Cor, well I can’t come all this way and not pay a visit! 🙂 9.7k ly away, course plotting… 🙂

pondo

* Waves from Beagle Point *

Bit dark round here, innit? 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is there a gift shop? For the mug!

pondo

Couple of fleet carriers, even in solo – got somecrepairs done but steadfastly fused to get her repainted. That tatty paintwork took hours to craft…. 🙂

Right – time to head home, I reckon. Back in a bit. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Fleet carriers are part of the background galaxy so they are always there regardless of if you are in open or solo; they are also there for all platforms. However squadrons aren’t cross platform which makes it tricky to grant access to friends on other platforms but not everyone.

pondo

Ah – interesting, just assumed they were NPC carriers. Ta! 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

They may well be DSSA (Deep Space Support Array), they do 6 month rotations!

pondo

Ah ha, I think one of them might have been! Very nice to get some bits fixed – only buzzed two stars the whole way out so hull was at 97%, but one of them fried the docking computer, so nice to get that sorted. Had to reteach myself how to turn the lights on, drop the gear and land. 🙂

eulach

This was not a good idea. I installed last weekend. I now have an upgraded sidewinder, a hauler and a cobra III, about 6 million in the bank and have made 83 jumps. I’m currently scanning systems for money on the rags to riches route (only 5 systems so far). I also have a job, a wife and children. It could end up being rather time consuming.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh!

Join our discord server! 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Join the squadron and get rich quicker.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Free Python for new recruits!*

* cash equivalent. Terms and conditions apply.

willard

What he said ^^^.

Playstation Team are currently being generous with their mission cash and the PC Crew are trying to match them. We have a long way to go though.

Join the discord. It would be great to have another person on there.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Playstation Team are currently being generous with their mission cash and the PC Crew are trying to match them. We have a long way to go though.

All amateurs compared to Team Xbox in that regard.

willard

Sorry Perchy, I stand corrected.

eulach

I’ll check out your discord next weekend. What times are you online and how many are you. Playing on PC btw.

Saccades
    Free Member

The discord is busy during GMT waking hours,there are a regular 10 players across all three platforms.

Go into the squadron section and hunt down stw (can’t remember if it’s 2 or 3) and apply to join.

If you were on a ps i’d come pick you up.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve currently logged on to try and kill people but they’re all hiding.

pondo

I also have a job, a wife and children. It could end up being rather time consuming.

Greetings, Comnander. 🙂 I’m glad I’m married – if I was still single, this would have taken over my entire life…

eulach

Could you send me the discord server link, please. Are there any interesting places to spend a few hours “near” the starting zone?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 2,990 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.