Viewing 40 posts - 2,841 through 2,880 (of 2,990 total)
  • Just got Elite Dangerous
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

However the huge multicannon is awesome, and that’s only available in fixed.

*looks out of Corvette window at huge gimballed multi cannons*

frogstomp

PSA : free from Epic Games from tomorrow (19-26/11)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yep. Absolutely free.

If anyone downloads it for free and wants a bit of help, guidance or suddenly gains a thirst for total galactic domination then we can help. Just post up on this thread for an invite to the Single Track Galaxy Squadron and Discord server where you too can, for free, be enrolled in the fight to make Our Glorious Leader, the Ever Victorious and Iron Willed CMDR @matt_bl the supreme ruler of the galaxy or something, i’m not really sure.

Did I mention it’s free?

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, we have a discord.

TheFlyingOx

What’s the deal with the discord?
    Played a bit on PS4 but was always just dipping in and out when I had a spare half hour. I’m about to make the switch to PC gaming (waiting on a Ryzen 7 5800x to finish the build) and then I’ll be starting from scratch.
    Also, can I play as the same commander on desktop and laptop? Considering taking my laptop to work with me so I can play in downtime, but no point if I’m going to be grinding 2 separate accounts.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Discord is just a comms channel that lets us coordinate what we’re doing in game and talk a load of bollocks. It’s just an expanded version of this thread really.

As far as I’m aware you should be able to use the same account on laptop and desktop. I play on Xbox though so one of our PC based Commanders would be better informed than I.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you just want to play casually, we can probably arrange some money for you – buy a nice fighty ship and we’ll tell you who we’re killing that week so you can join in 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

I’d like to play casually, can I have some cash?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d like to play casually, can I have some cash?

You can come and claim my bounty in Coribes…..if you can catch me 😉

Trampus
    Free Member

You can use the same log in for PC and Laptop with no problems

perchypanther
    Free Member

jamesoz

Been playing Elite for a while, I think I just did a couple of missions for your lot New (K something or other) Labour? Was bored aimlessly flying about, so had a look at this thread and popped in for a scrap in Coribes.
    Captain Izaac Hunt
    Mostly Harmless

perchypanther
    Free Member

Izaac Hunt

Really? 🙂

If you want to get involved more are just looking for something to do in game then DM @v8ninety and he’ll sort you out an invite to our Discord or Squadron to see what we’re up to.

We currently have 11 STW CMDRs all either doing their own thing or working together to achieve whatever takes our fancy at the time.

It’s easy in this game to lose direction a bit because there’s no clear path to follow or goals to achieve other than those you arbitrarily set for yourself.

I’ve enjoyed working with others to achieve something bigger but equally I went randomly off exploring for a week by myself recently just because I felt like it.

No pressure on anybody to participate in anything or achieve anything. Do as much or as little as you please. It’s all cool.

jamesoz

Yeah, the name appealed to my childish side at the time.
    I kind of dip in and out of the game, so maybe.

perchypanther
    Free Member

*changes CMDR name to Mike Oxlong*

TheFlyingOx

Well I’m in (laptop at least). How do I get involved with everything? Access to the Discord?
    Also, got an Oculus arriving tomorrow. I’m expecting to be in tears at how things have improved since my first CMDR Jameson save on a BBC Micro back in the mid-80s.

crewlie

It’s a lot different but somehow the same 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

@TheFlyingOx. I’ve DMed you a link to the discord server.

Welcome aboard CMDR

TheFlyingOx

👍🏻

willard

Downloaded and installed, but yet to get any gameplay in because of reasons. This will be my first foray back into Elite since the BBC days and I am a little nervous.

My first thought is that it looks amazing and VR would make this amazinger. Hopefully my first few flights (after the tutorials) will be successful.

Saccades
    Free Member

Oooowwwwoooo flying in the depths of space.

I’m always going forwards ‘cos I can’t find reverse!

jamesoz

Cmdr Izaac Hunt just destroyed pirate Hugh Jarse. Had to take the mission when I saw it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m always going forwards ‘cos I can’t find reverse!

L1, mate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, and:

codybrennan
    Free Member

I know I’m a few years late but was Elite on my BBC etc back in the day. So I picked up ED free from Epic, thanks for the PSA earlier.

I’m rather enjoying it :0 early days but I think my spaceship knows which way to go. Commander cdb.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just shout up if you need any assistance / guidance.
    The learning curve can be very steep and the game isn’t particularly helpful in leading you by the hand to guide you what to do and how to do it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks PP, will do. I’m currently making $$$$ either picking up encrypted data canisters, or running agri goods and tech between Dromi and Matet. Runs very well indeed on an old 5,1 Mac Pro with a single Xeon X5690 and an RX580. I may upgrade to some kind of flight stick at some point, as I’m using an Xbox pad.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also join our Discord if you like, and optionally our squadron. Lots of hints and tips. And credits.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ah, cheers molgrips. Might well do. Its exactly as I feared, its very gripping :/

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m using an Xbox pad.

Me too. Also using the Xbox it came with.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Max out what you can in the pilots district before you leave! I walked out with my Cobra Mk3 and about 20 bribe missions (once you get to a certain level you will start getting missions to pick up cash outside the district, fill your boots before you leave as its free money). After that I visited Felicity for a mild FSD and DSS tune before sodding off into the black for a month or so.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks- I suppose I’m in the pilots district just now? Funnily enough I was looking at a pre-loved Cobra MKIII last night; well, you do, don’t you? I’m hoping Odyssey will let me walk around inside the ships, but apparently that’s probably not going to be a feature :/

As others have said, its remarkably familiar to me and does feel like an evolution. Lots of nice touches like keeping the iconic scanner (there’s a great chapter in Francis Spufford’s ‘Backroom Boys’ on Braben & Bell’s last-minute breakthrough of combining the separate X & Y scanners together).

And I wondered why the keyboard in the cockpit looked so familiar 🙂 until the penny dropped.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I never noticed, when I was on BBCs they were in dusty trolleys to get moved between classrooms!

Yeah you’re in the pilots district just now, be careful as you will get locked out as soon as you leave once you rank up for the first time. You can still scoot about inside so it’s not that big a deal and there should be a warning if you try to plot a trip outside.

molgrips
    Free Member

apparently that’s probably not going to be a feature

Not at launch, but it may come. But the rumour is (which is probably right IMO) that there isn’t enough room in the ships to be able to put all the stuff they’re meant to have in them.

Agree re the scanner. Inspired. It’s the same in No Man’s Sky too and probably many other games.

noone

Can anyone help?

I’ve just downloaded the game for PC via the Oculus store. When I try to start the game I can only get as far as the black screen that tells me to remove my headset and register.

So I did.

Now I get to that screen, login, link my account and nothing happens. Just the same process again.

Did anyone else have to deal with this? I’m not a PC person so definitely getting a little aggy with it. Should have just bought a PlayStation.

Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t no. But we have PC players here.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Bought myself an imperial clipper and it’s the first ship where i’m a bit nervous of taking it out because of rebuy cost 🙂

I’m utterly lost with NPC difficulty ratings / fit. If I run up against an NPC with a similar ship to mine, but a higher difficulty they are invariably faster / more manoeuvrable / higher dps / better survivability. I’m at the limit of what the ship will let me fit, are we supposed to just be like hmm must be full engineering fits?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pretty much, yeah. Don’t pick on the tougher players unless you can either out perform or out tank them.

Can’t help with Oculus though we do have 2 users.

matt_bl
    Free Member

@reformedfatty don’t be afraid to take on higher rated NPCs. It’s true they have good pip management, but they will not have a huge amount (or any) of engineering outside of combat zones. Set yourself a limit of hull that you are prepared to lose then bug out. In an A rated ship you will be able to take out NPCs, but you won’t be able to sit there all day killing them like you can in a fully engineered Vette.

Happy to help out with ship builds if you want. I have never used the Clipper in combat, but I do have one for mining.

Matt

Edit: Just a first thought on builds, the Clipper is a good hybrid, fast charging shields and a stronger hull, because overall the base shields on the Clipper are weak.

Saccades
    Free Member

Are you kitted with A rated stuff?

Avoid combat zone combat as the mobs there are tougher.

Have 30% beam lasers to strip shields and 70% MC’s to chew the hull.

Some shield boosters are handy but you have to use them to support your shield before it goes.

Equip a heat sink in combo with the booster to offset the heat generated.

I roll about to get the npc above me then move up, adjust speed up and down to flick the back end out (bit like a handbrake turn vertically) to get a bearing on them.

I normally run 3 pips to weapons and 3 to systems but the engines with a full boost in case I need to run away. Always have your fsd set to another solar system (high wake) so that you don’t get trapped in the gravity wells of other ships in case it goes tits up.

Set engine colour to purple for extra hope.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,841 through 2,880 (of 2,990 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.