Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,990 total)
  • Just got Elite Dangerous
  • mrchrispy

PS4 dulux edition is about 14 quids on the PSN at the moment
    im considering it

/thinks….

Drac

Bloody hell £13.49 for the delux that’s a great price.

Cougar

Matt or gloss?

molgrips
    Free Member

And I’ve hardly played since I started this thread.. busy with work 🙂

v8ninety

Right; I’ve secured a year of PS plus for £38 and Elite deluxe for £13.49. Downloaded today. I’ll be logging on for the first time on Monday; any absolute nooby hints and tips going?

🚀

Drac

Yup. Play the handy tutorial mission it’ll help you out with flying.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do the tutorials yes. Also try the advanced ones. There’s a lot to remember at first but don’t lose heart, it doesn’t take that long to begin to understand it all.

Read up on the major factions – Alliance, Federation and Empire – you can do this on the web. Once you can navigate and fight, pick a star system as a base (preferably aligned with a faction you like and that’s experiencing a boom) and visit the systems around it – preferably of different economy types e.g. industrial, refinery, agricultural etc, cos they sell different stuff. Once you’ve visited a system you have access to its market data, so when you are buying stuff you can find a good place to sell it (by choosing that commodity to display) or if you do a mission that requires it you can find it. The galaxy map is incredibly powerful but a bit of a bastard to use. It only shows you systems on or near a particular plane; you can move the plane up and down by pressing the bottom left or right of the touchpad.

If you’ve bought the game online you don’t get a manual but there is a big fat PDF manual online that you’d do well to read. There are also stacks of wikis, forums and reddits online so google for tips and advice on everything. Most are pretty helpful. You might need to play with a real-life tablet as your fourth console!

You don’t need to fight much – and at first you’ll be Harmless for ages so you’ll only get Harmless or Mostly Harmless enemies sent against you which are pretty soft if you’ve any flying combat game experience at all.

I’ve found missions to be much more lucrative than trade. If you keep coming back to your home base you can keep doing missions for the same faction and gain reputation which gives you loads money when you have an increased rep. Once you’ve made some cash to upgrade your ship you can start choosing more rep as rewards to then gain more cash for later missions.

Drac

For trading these are handy.

https://eddb.io/commodity/6

https://inara.cz/galaxy/

I used this when starting off but not sure it’s still relevant.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/thegalacticacademy

Saccades
    Free Member

Just purchased – was deadly bitd, stealing time on my brother’s 6128.

Only just started ff7 as well

v8ninety

Thanks chaps, appreciate the pointers. Can’t wait to get stuck in 😎

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m working from Dekker base in Rho Cancri btw.

mrchrispy

I’m going to hit purchase on it, its only 14quid and we may well be holed up indoors for god knows how long

Drac

You buggers are making me jealous with your home ‘working’ 😂

v8ninety

So I’ve downloaded it, run two training missions, buggered up my login and now I’m waiting for a support ticket to be processed. I’m such a **** 🙄🙄🙄

As an aside; how do people communicate in game? Am I going to need to get one of those headset thingies? 😳 I’ve literally NO experience of MMO gaming.

Saccades
    Free Member

I left the newbue training zone way too quick.

Currently budding cash to get the cobra, another 2 nights and I should be able to get it.

:Ninja: imperial slaves

molgrips
    Free Member

As an aside; how do people communicate in game? Am I going to need to get one of those headset thingies?

On Playstation, you wear a headset then you host or join a ‘party’ at which point you can talk to all the people in it i.e. your mates. You can then all log onto your game and find each other in the game.

Slightly oddly not everyone in a party has to be playing the same game, but whatever. You can also do text comms I think but what a ball-ache that would be.

imperial slaves

Morals out the window airlock already I see. I’m saving up for the next level ship which is likely to cost 10-15mCr but I’m not sure what.

TheFlyingOx

I’m saving up for the next level ship which is likely to cost 10-15mCr but I’m not sure what.

I can heartily recommend the Asp Explorer for around half that, and then you’ll have a nice amount for spending on upgrades. It’s maneuverable enough for most dogfights, has decent weapon slots, excellent jump range, plenty of cargo/cabin space. I had one for ages, did all my Imperial ranking up in it and was very handy for those big-money delivery/source missions that helped me save for the Imperial Clipper. Even had a planetary vehicle hangar and earned some very decent money for those “scan the thing on that planet in such-and-such system” type missions.

Cougar

On Playstation, you wear a headset then you host or join a ‘party’ at which point you can talk to all the people in it i.e. your mates. You can then all log onto your game and find each other in the game.

… and presumably you’ll need an active PSN sub?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I think you need PSN sub for all online games 🙁

Cougar

I’m, excuse me, ‘Golden’ as I’ve got the Live Everything for like three years on the back of a stupidly cheap offer MS did a little while ago. Just thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone didn’t realise.

v8ninety

Right. I’m up and running! Wow. This game is a serious time sink 😂. I still have no idea what half the buttons do, but I’ve just completed my first four baby missions (as well as the training missions, obvs); couriering and a scan/scoop the data type mission. Got interdicted and then left alone by a pirate because I was worthless, lol; small mercy of being a noob I guess.

I’m going to step out from solo into open play tomorrow evening I think.

Initial impressions; wow, this is massive, and complex but fascinating. I love the hyperspace and super cruise mechanics. It all looks gorgeous 😎

Cmdr ‘V8ninety’ 👍🏼

shadthebad
    Free Member

I feel I should issue a little warning :

Once you’re in, you’re in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m up for a bit of wing action with noobs.

Drac

Think I still have you on my list Molly.

I can’t recall what I changed mine to as they did a promotion to change your ID for free.

Drac-Ster

Very original.

Creg

Decided to download this again and give it some screen time this evening.

Thought it would be a good idea to head out of the bubble and see some things so plotted a course for the Lagoon Nebula via Thor’s Eye. 5000ly and 98 jumps later I arrived at the Asteroid station (Attenborough’s Overwatch I think?) in Lagoon Sector (this is with an engineered DBX that jumps 52ly per jump). Got a little too close to the Black Hole at Thor’s Eye and nearly got pulled into it. Made a couple of million in selling exploration data.

Will probably explore tomorrow and take some screenshots.

Can’t be denied it is a beautiful game.

Saccades
    Free Member

Everyone needs skeletons in their closet – some illicit trading is always good.

alibongo001

Just seen that the non-deluxe version is on PSN for £8.99

I’ve bought it thinking I’ve got a bargain, but then noticed the delux was £13 above somewhere!

Whats the difference between the versions? Should I cancel and find the deliuxe version?

I’ll put a new psn on if this is a good price!

richmtb

Shame all you guys are on PS4.

Mols, what ship you buy really depends on what you want to do in the game.

I spent a lot of time exploring so I bought an AspX and fitted it out for long trips outside the bubble – no weapons, big fuel scoop, two repair modules, SRV bay and I’d spend a solid couple of weeks going somewhere, trips were anything up to 30,000ly and hundreds of jumps.

I bought a Python and did a bit of trading – you can easily make a few million a run, but its not the most exciting way to play. I’ll fit it out later for either passenger runs or mining

Recently, I’ve mainly be bounty hunting and doing anti-pirate missions in my Alliance Cheiftain. Its a beast, I can easily take on “wing” missions myself. This generally get a few million credits per mission and you can also grab a lot of materials from the destroyed ships for engineering.

Next on the agenda is jumping back in the AspX and heading out of the bubble to grab a load of raw materials to do so more engineering and try and unlock as many engineers as possible.

EDDB is definitely not cheating, the game is absolutely vast there is no way you could discover enough of it on your own.

I’ve got 300+ million credits in the bank!

richmtb

@alibongo001

The deluxe vesrion will include the Horizons upgrade, it gets you more ships, planetary landings and engineers. It does add a fair bit to the gameplay, for a fiver more is definitely worth it

molgrips
    Free Member

you can easily make a few million a run

How? The largest profit margin I’ve seen is about 1,300Cr per unit.

I had a good night last night – I spent all my money on armour and power for my Keelback rather than put it towards a new ship. Then on the way back from that place I found a system that was having a boom, and I noticed that there were boom time deliveries on offer within the system for silly money. So I spent a few hours ferrying semiconductors and insulating membranes between three ports – at each drop-off there were more delivery missions to one of the others. I had four or five on the go at a time. I got almost no heat, and made 8mCr which is not bad for Harmless.

alibongo001

Currently its abour £23 so quite a bit more for the deluxe – might see if I can upgrade after playing for a while

Thanks @richmtb

richmtb

How? The largest profit margin I’ve seen is about 1,300Cr per unit.

Use EDDB and you can find routes that give you 9000 credit per unit. If you can find a good two way route you can bump this up even more and a Python can carry nearly 300T of cargo.

Its not the most interesting way to play but it is profitable.

If you are looking for a grindy way to make money then passenger missions are probably better.

jolmes
    Free Member

Just downloaded this on the laptop, not sure how it will run though 🙁 probably not at all so may be resigned to getting it for the PS4 as i’m not about to drop 2k on a gaming rig, mrs wont let me/no space/new baby soon/house move soon priorities apparently…

v8ninety

On Playstation, you wear a headset then you host or join a ‘party’ at which point you can talk to all the people in it i.e. your mates.

Ah, Righto, gotcha. Care to recommend a headset for reasonable money? Cheers.

I’m up for a bit of wing action with noobs.

Me too in principle; my opportunities are a little limited, but we should give it a go 👍🏼

Drac

Currently its abour £23 so quite a bit more for the deluxe – might see if I can upgrade after playing for a while

PSN digital copy is way cheaper if you have PS+

molgrips
    Free Member

Head over to LHS 2212 for some boomtime deliveries.

Care to recommend a headset for reasonable money?

Any bluetooth headset works but you can also plug straight into the controller. There are bajillions about, you’ve probably already got one from an old phone.

Creg

Another option for anyone wanting to make money fairly quick is the Road to Riches website.

Put in a start system and a finish system with the FSD range of your ship and it’ll plot a route through systems that have valuable scannable planets in. Also useful as it unlocks Felicity Farseer (as you travel the required distance from your start system) and then you can sell the data to her and gain access to L5 engineering that she offers.

Decent way to make a few mil in a couple of hours as it’s fairly safe/involves no combat.

Cougar

you’ve probably already got one from an old phone.

I tried one from an old phone when my official MS one died. It was quite astonishingly bad. Fortunately my GF bought me a proper one for my birthday.

v8ninety

So I’ll enter open for the first time from about 6pm this evening. Anyone care to lay a bet on how soon I get pwnd/murderhobo’d/ganked*?

*whatever the word is, lol

molgrips
    Free Member

You probably won’t. I’ve been in Open since I started and I don’t think I’ve seen another player – unless they are called things like Ollie McFollie.

I bought the Asp Explorer and part-exed my Keelback so I had the new ship and 11mCr in the bank. Blew the lot down to my last 60k on upgrades. I haven’t put in a fighter, but I might yet. They are such a PITA to deploy, but now I have a better ship it might not be quite so heart-stopping to sit there whilst stabbing buttons in my crotch.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,990 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.