Viewing 30 posts - 2,961 through 2,990 (of 2,990 total)
  • Just got Elite Dangerous
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

It would run on a potato, if there was an ARM port I’d be surprised if someone couldn’t get it running on a Pi4 (the 8Gb one, gotta be realistic). It might not run well without dedicated graphics but I reckon it could still manage it.

seriousrikk

Feel like I should fire it up again, see where I am in the galaxy. Seem to recall I was heading back from beagle last time I logged in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Original game yes, Odyssey not so much.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

Odessey has got better. It’s not perfect, but it runs on a GTX1070 in reasonably hi res, so better than some of the later titles and waaaaay better than Star Citizen.

pondo

Blimey. What the hell are you doing out there? Jump, scoop, jump, scoop, jump, scoop x 1000000

Hey, man – just looking around! 🙂 I find it quite a chill way to spend an evening if Mrs Pondo’s not around – pick an interesting destination, scan on the way out and see what I can find, take some pics when you get there. That, a few beers, some mellow tunes and I’m good to go. 🙂

Seem to recall I was heading back from beagle last time I logged in.

That’s a LONG way out – fly safe, Commander!

Poopscoop

Just started on Elite Dangerous tonight on the Steam Deck. It runs really well though I haven’t been onto a planet which apparently is a performance killer.

However… Talk about a steap learning curve.

I completed the tutorial and set off on a mission to no avail and just about figured out how to dock the bloody thing after some comical crashes. Took me an age to find out how to lower the landing gear for a start.

I’ll keep at it but it feels like it could be a real life eater which is probably not something I have time for these days.

Oh, to have seen this running on a portable PC back in the 80’s though! I still remember playing it on my C64 and thinking it was incredible!😁

willard

Nah, you can dip into it as and when, just the same as any other game really.

Some of the things need some effort and investment, but if you just want to fly around and see the stars, you can do that. Planetside racing is fun too. Low gravity means epic jumps.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, steep learning curve, but it’s like..er.. riding a bike. Once you can do it, it’s easy. You’ll be hooning through canyons without flight assist in no time. Maybe.

But yeah it’s pretty put-downable when you want. I’ve gone many weeks without playing. Also rember to join the Singletrack Galaxy squadron 🙂

pondo

However… Talk about a steap learning curve.

I completed the tutorial and set off on a mission to no avail and just about figured out how to dock the bloody thing after some comical crashes. Took me an age to find out how to lower the landing gear for a start.

I found it hard to learn, really needs a manual, as evidenced by my plaintive bleatings on here. 🙂 But hugely rewarding once the hang of it is gotten, and easy to put to one side for awhile if life gets in the way – enjoy and don’t be afraid to ask questions, there’s a wealth of knowledge on here! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a discord too.

Poopscoop

Quick question! There are 3 versions of E:D on the PC, do I want Odyssey? I know it has the “ground stuff” (not bothered by that to be honest) but also better gfx… That “should” still run on my Steam Deck and I see that people with different versions cannot meet up in game. Or something.

So, as PC owner (effectively) is Odyssey the one to install and stick with?

Cheers!

molgrips
    Free Member

Horizons 4 has the newer graphics, not necessarily better, but you need it for much of the modern content afaik because 3.8 is now legacy mode, I think.

I like having Odyssey even though I haven’t done much ground combat. I just like being able to get out and walk around on planets whilst exploring.

squirrelking
    Free Member

So, as PC owner (effectively) is Odyssey the one to install and stick with?

If you get Odyssey then all versions will be available from the launcher, no extra installation necessary so if you want to you can still run it on Horizons if you find yourself needing to (milking the cow!)

tartanscarf

Just picked up a PS5 and Elite Dangerous is only £3.99. Worth a punt? It’s multiplayer apparently, can I play offline too?

Thanks

TS

pondo

Yes, and yes. 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

As a playstation player unless you go to earth you are effectively an offline player anyways.

I can pop on and help you if you want?

Edit: you start in a safe zone I can’t access, so might need to do a few jumps.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve ~150mill if you want it later. Just milking a cow.

tartanscarf

Thanks @pondo and @saccades. I’ll get the console officially tomorrow so sort it out then.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve a total of 300 mill available to share which I can hold on to until late on the 26th.

It doesn’t take me long to get that kind of cash so no panic if you are not available.

I can share it whilst you are in the safe zone and you can pick it up later (from the nearly as safe zone). We need to be online at the same time to allow me to share.

Look for STW or singletrackgalaxay squadron and apply and I’ll approve.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is Deciat not still a roaring dumpster fire of gankers?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s multiplayer apparently, can I play offline too?

Yeah solo mode isn’t strictly offline but there are no other players in your world.

Is Deciat not still a roaring dumpster fire of gankers?

Yes.

Saccades
    Free Member

Probably.

pondo

Auto-docking at Jameson after 11 months of on-again, off-again exploring is genuinely emotional. I love this game. 🙂

willard

Welcome back the the bubble.

If you are cashing in the carto and want something different to do, there’s war. Otherwise, we could use a hand winning elections.

Saccades
    Free Member

Congratulations!

That’s a lot of jumping.

Elite explorer now?

pondo

Welcome back the the bubble.

If you are cashing in the carto and want something different to do, there’s war. Otherwise, we could use a hand winning elections.

Ta! 🙂 Well, I would like to get Elite in combat – do my actions in solo effect the multiplayer universe? If so, just let me know how I can help. 🙂

Congratulations!

That’s a lot of jumping.

Elite explorer now?

Ta! 🙂 Yeah, one big trip’ll do that, did Beagle Point last year (or the year before?), this was to visit Michael’s Rest. Mighty peaceful out there. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

do my actions in solo effect the multiplayer universe?

Yes they do. Our squadron is, as always, trying to further justice and equality in the galaxy, we have work for you combat or hauling. Otherwise there’s a war on to save humanity.

I’m out in the Pleiades doing that bit that forms the training montage in martial arts films.

pondo

Cool! Where do I have to go and who do I shoot? 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Head to velniat?

Quite a lot of STW carriers there.

Presume you are fine for cash?

For elite combat it helps to engineer your combat vessel.

I’ve gone for a corvette, mainly so I can have twinkly lights and bobbleheads galore!

Apply for the singletrackgalaxay fleet.

molgrips
    Free Member

You need to join the squadron discord first, the link is in this thread a couple of pages back.

By they way, are you on console or PC?

Viewing 30 posts - 2,961 through 2,990 (of 2,990 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.