Home Forums Chat Forum Is it still mental for builders?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Is it still mental for builders?
  • stonster
    Free Member

So, have been vaguely considering getting a bit more space via a loft conversion. A few months ago appeared to be the worst time to think about getting a builder, possibly ever, as everyone blew their hard saved lock down cash. Is that still the case? Am I better off waiting? Are wood and steel ever going to come down in price?

dovebiker

Good ones are booked up for the rest of the year.

A neighbour who works in global shipping and commodities doesn’t see material prices coming down for the next year (at least) as many prices are already agreed. Resurgence of COVID in China likely to make it worse.

the-muffin-man

From the ones I speak to they are booked up with existing work for quite a while but enquiry rates are dropping. And interest rates are due to rise again today.

Perhaps this time next year would be a better time to look if you aren’t in a hurry.

stumpy01

I can’t see it being a good idea to wait if it’s something that you really want done. I would have thought it would be better to have a builder onboard & get a slot booked in.
    If you are only at the thinking about it stage, it will take a while before all the plans etc. are ready anyway.

We had some work done recently on our house to remove a large brick-built cupboard in our kitchen, which also meant taking out the chimney above it.
    The builder I contacted was pretty full with 3 extensions planned already for the year. Luckily, due to a delay in the planning permission for one of the projects, a window opened of a week where he could slot our job in – otherwise we’d have been waiting until October!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Is it still mental for builders?’ is closed to new replies.