Home Forums Bike Forum homemade headset press

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • homemade headset press
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

any instructions on how to make one, have a threaded rod, just need to find some bad ass washers.

clubber
    Free Member

Or just some 8 or 10mm threaded rod and matching washers/nuts from B&Q/Wickes/etc

Splash-man
    Free Member

In the past I always prefer the big hammer approach……….however I am tempted just to get some threaded bar and washers as clubber mentioned as my frames seem to get more fragile.

Simples ;)

Junkyard
    Free Member

rubber mallet negates need for wood

bassspine
    Free Member

The one headset ever that I fitted with a hammer and a bit of wood was the one headset I have ever had problems with. (This was in the old days, when I worked in IT)

I have since fitted literally hundreds (10 years working in the cycle industry) and no headset fitted with a press has been as problematic.

DrP

Sounds like you don't need any instructions TBH. Put those bits you have together, then crush the headset into the frame….

DrP

TheBrick
    Free Member

best: proper headset press.
    Ok: theaded bar + washers + care and attention adjusting if no pulling in square
    if you really have: hammer and wood. Being as threaded bar + washers can be had for a few quid there really is no reason

scruff
    Free Member

DIY- 2 nuts on one end to hold washer tight, so you only ever tighten up the one side. Do 1 cup at a time.

shedfull
    Free Member

I jacked my Vito van up, put wood, frame, headset cup and more wood under the towbar then lowered the van slowly with the trolley jack. Worked a treat.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you have access to a G Clamp large enough they are spectacularly good at fitting headsets.

DrP

Merc van headset press – brilliant!

Park tools advise a berlingo for bleeding maguras, and a transporter for sticky cranks…. ;-)

DrP

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes it is possible to make a decent bodged one – but the cheapo cyclus one I bought is about my most satsifying tool in terms of doing a job quickly and accurately without swearing and bloodshed. And I lend it to friends.

So I'd ask your mates if they have a proper one.

We regularly replace the shock absorber bushes on the buses at work.
    The rubber bushes come in a universal kit with three pairs of heavy steel washers, about 60mm diameter, with different sized holes in the middle.
    This means, for every bush we fit, there are four washers left over.
    I keep meaning to save them up and take them to the next event I enter and just leave them in a pile with a "Free, take a pair" notice on them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 cyclus headset

nunuboogie
    Free Member

that would be great graham :) right might take a look at cyclus press, don't want to upset the new frame!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have used mine on my and mates bike I reckon about 10 times now at least so its paid for itself several times over :)

epicsteve
    Free Member

I got one of those home made headset presses but had no success in trying to use it so just battered the headset in with a hammer and a couple of bits of wood instead.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘homemade headset press’ is closed to new replies.