Home Forums Chat Forum High mileage Merc Vito……….. any reason not to?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • High mileage Merc Vito……….. any reason not to?
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

My neighbor is selling his ’04 plate Merc Vito, he’s owned it for the last 5 years where it has been used solely for taking his motorbike to track days.

It’s a clean looking van with the odd spot of rust here and there, but nothing that makes it look even slightly well worn.

It’s the 109 cdi one with windows in the sides and the rear doors that open outwards, not upwards like a tailgate, it’s got 190k on it, had MOT & VED until December this year.

I’m only after a van to go take biking and when we race ‘cross in the winter it’ll provide somewhere to get changed that’s dry and warm and lets us chuck the bikes in along with the kids and the buggy. Also to sleep in at events where I stay over, saves pitching a tent.

He’s after just over a grand for it, WWSTWD

jam-bo

sounds like it probably worth £1k but always a gamble.

will you fall out if it packs up in 1000 miles time.

cx_monkey

If it’s been looked after and all the belts done when they’re meant to be, it should be good for well over 200k. It’s also a timing chain, so should be pretty solid – provided tensioners are still strong. I’d also say that if you can’t pin point when the water pump was last done, then get it done.

you’ll still have to tax it though – even if your mate has paid the VED in one go for the year – they’ll send him a refund and you’ll have to pay for a year or start a DD for it.

we had one that refused to die – even though it was rusted through in a bunch of places (tailgate and front wings are the norm from what I can see). Had a few electrical sensor type things fail over the years, but never anything crazy. best van to drive in my opinion.

Also – I think the crew van had a padded floor – nice if you’re sleeping in it!

But – the thing with any older vehicle, even if your engine is good, there’s everything else around it – cv boots and gaiters, drive shafts, suspension, brakes, etc. If they’ve not been replaced, they’re going to need to be soon. Easy to keep them running – just either time consuming or expensive if you’re not handy on the spanners (which defeats the object obviously!)

mudhead84
    Free Member

I’m on my second Vito, only sold the first due to expanding family and needing 5 seats. Things to check would be broken suspension springs, injector leak (known as Black Death, not sure why as it’s an easy remedy, just needs a clean and new copper washer) and that it’s been serviced on a regular basis. Unfortunately, anything before an 07 I think wasn’t galvanised so is prone to rust, but if your happy with that situation then it’s fine. The one I sold was on 200k miles and the one I brought is 145k miles, and I’ve seen them with a lot higher on. There’s a bit on the bottom of this page on what to check engine wise http://www.mercedes.gen.in/category/technical-w639/page/3/

chakaping

If you’re gonna buy a van for a grand, I can’t think of anything better than one a trusted neighbour has been test-driving for the last five years.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re gonna buy a van for a grand, I can’t think of anything better than one a trusted neighbour has been test-driving for the last five years.

+1

The injector problem was IIRC more about hem being seized in place when they leaked, my neighbor had a sideline in buying vito’s with knackered injectors.

I always make the point to my OH that old cars are like new cars but cheaper, but they’re not free.  If you could potentially afford a new Vito’s monthly payments, then buy a £1k Vito and on average most months it’ll be cheaper, other months it’ll cost you £500 and you’ll wonder why you don’t just get a new one, then remember that a new one is £500 every month.

porter_jamie

My brother has an 06 vito with way over 200k on it. Drive it and see how horrible the gearchange is. Bros was bloody awful and after changing the oil and a new shifter and all sorts new cables sorted it out.

Its had a new prop. Theres an outfit in Dartford who recon them for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

It broke a front spring as did my viano so check to see how rusty they are.

Other than that usual brakes and stuff.

porter_jamie

Injectors the copper washers leak and you can see manky shite on the top of the engine. Theres a special tool to get the stuck ibjector out which we have now and the internets says honda diesel washers last forever so he used those. Seem ok 30k miles later

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘High mileage Merc Vito……….. any reason not to?’ is closed to new replies.