Home Forums Bike Forum Gravel bike mudguards

• This topic has 29 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Gravel bike mudguards
  • escrs
    Free Member

Any recomendations for gravel bike mudguards for a Planet X Tempest?

Currently running Crud road racer mk3’s which are fine when i have my 700c commuting wheels with 28mm tyres on the bike

Problem is when i fit my 700c gravel wheels with 38mm Schwalbe G one terrabite tyres, the tyres are quite knobbly so just rub no matter how much adjustment i make in the bike stand

So currently as well as changing the wheels to go gravel riding i also have to swap the mudguards out for a set of MTB crud catchers

Ideally id like one set of mudguards that can just stay on the bike all year round which will accomodate my gravel wheels with 38mm tyres

munrobiker
    Free Member

SKS Edge AL are great on my gravel bike. Traditional style but metal so don’t wobble on singletrack and they’re almost indestructible.

jam-bo

Another vote for edge AL’s, had to cut mine up a bit to get them to fit well but now they are bomber.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use good old SKS jobs. Whatever the normal road ones are in about 50mm. Thos inn the pic above are way too short. They need a front mud flap that drops to at least the level of the bottom of the chain ring. The rear may keep your arse clean but won’t be popular with your mates. It doesn’t even go back far enough let alone down enough. At least as low as your front one if you like your mates.

hardtailonly

I had SKS Edge Al on my Escapade SS, brilliant they were, and looked and felt pretty classy. So yeah, would go for those if you’re going to keep them on for a few months at a time.

On my Pickenflick, which doesn’t have guard/rack mounts, I’ve just fitted the SKS Speedrocker. They’re very good as well, don’t look as nice, but will probably be quicker to put on and off. I’d been worried that they wouldn’t stay in position as well when hammering along off road, but they’re rock solid.

Phil_H

Just fitted a set of sks 28″x 57mm bluemels to my sonder al camino.
    Loads of clearance.
    Dead easy to fit this time, unlike fitting the 35mm versions to my Trek road bike😱

jam-bo

Thos inn the pic above are way too short. They need a front mud flap that drops to at least the level of the bottom of the chain ring. The rear may keep your arse clean but won’t be popular with your mates.

they work for me. This is a billy no mates bike.

when they were longer they moved too much off road.

mboy
    Free Member

This is a billy no mates bike.

Then don’t mess about with close fitting guards. You’ll end up clogging with mud more often than not, for the ability not to spray a non existent person behind you…

Just fitted Mudhugger “Gravelhuggers” front and rear on my Titus Goldrush. On and off in seconds, give as good coverage as you’ll need with no rub. 👍🏻

r1chtea
    Free Member

+1 for Gravelhuggers, the back one’s not the prettiest but they’re fit and forget, even in the gloop.

montgomery
    Free Member

I found the big Bluemels a bit fiddly to fit (had to buy an extra u-stay) but they work fine with 2.1″ G-One Ultrabites. You occasionally get a bit of gravel rattling round with the tyre but I can live with that. The protection is significantly better than the mudhugger style set-up I had prior to installing them.

iainc

An easy and cheap option is the Zefal Swan and Croozer combo – not great coverage but ok, and on and off in literally seconds.

prezet
    Free Member

Running these on my diverge with 38mm (size up to 40mm) Terrano’s – just about cover the width but clearance is a bit tight in places. Although took it for a ride yesterday and there was no rubbing:

BLUEMELS PRIMUS 28″ 53 BLACK SET

easily
    Free Member

I also use SKS Edge Al – they’re not perfect but I reckon they’re the best I’ve tried. I had to hacksaw a bit off to get them to fit, and with 40mm tyres they still bang if I’m going over huge bumps. Generally they’re quiet and secure though.

jam-bo

^^^

shorten them a bit more and they don’t bang.

but you do incur the wrath of the mudguard police…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Then don’t mess about with close fitting guards. You’ll end up clogging with mud more often than not, for the ability not to spray a non existent person behind you

This is nonsense. I’m about 6000 gravel miles in on mine and they’ve not clogged once. They’re close enough that the bike stays clean, I stay clean and they’re usually a lot longer than Jambo’s. I’ve found no downsides to them yet and they don’t look like utter shit like Gravelhuggers. Also, as they bolt on, there’s no opportunity for them to scratch your bike without you putting protective tape on which always looks a bit Heath Robinson.

jam-bo

Yours appear to have an integrated rack in the back. I’m guessing that gives a bit more support at the top. I found at the original length, the span between the bridge and the stays was too much and it bounced on rough ground onto the wheel. In fact you can see on yours the hole where the stays attach on mine.

dove1

SKS Speedrockers. Easy and quick to fit and remove and provide plenty of coverage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve full length pdw full.metals.on and have done for 6-7 years . Running 700*42 nanos.

Then don’t mess about with close fitting guards. You’ll end up clogging with mud more often than not, f

Pretty sure this would have happened to me more than once if it was an actual thing…. The worst issue I have is I need to change the rubber spray flap periodically as it contacts the floor on steep roll over transitions.

momo

I’ve fitted the Kinesis fend off wide to my Camino, really said and well made, pretty easy to set up too and the packaging is marked up to cut and make extension flaps. Fit well over my 45mm G-one ultrabite tyres.

rOcKeTdOg

the mudhugger front doesn’t look like it’ll do much but it’s surprisingly effective especially at stopping the flung out front mud and being able to see is perfect. the rear, although not the prettiest does a great job of keeping you comfortable and with a dry ass.
    if you want the full on road bike look with full guards the others are great but a pain to remove when things dry up. I’m happy to sacrifice muddy shins and calves for the ease of removal and mounting, especially with the quick release options. as mentioned though, protect your frame
    IMG_20201220_184739_578

easily
    Free Member

@jam-bo

Maybe the mudguard police have gone now, and we can talk openly without incurring their disapproval.

I might have a go at shortening mine. They don’t really bang often, but I’d like it to be never.
    I assume from looking at your pic that you shortened the ‘front’ end (that would be on the right in the pic), then shifted the mudguard around clockwise?

Any issues I should know about? did you simply saw off a section then drill a new fixing hole?

Cheers for any advice.

zippykona

Any reason Speedrockers won’t fit on a boost carbon mtb frame?
    Obviously I’m running 38 tyres on it.

jam-bo

Any issues I should know about? did you simply saw off a section then drill a new fixing hole?

pretty much. Filed the sharp edges off and that’s about it. I took ~15cm off. Could maybe have taken a bit less. I’ve could drill another hole to gain a bit more coverage but I’m happy so far.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheerrs for all the replies

Ill take a look at the SKS guards

No point fitting mtb cruds or any other mtb style guards as i need full coverage for commuting (guards stay on all year round) with the option of going off road now and again

beefy

Edge AL’s with some aforementioned hacksawing on the front one to get it to fit properly with 42 (or are they 43?) gravelkings on my Titus Goldrush.

Super solid, really quiet and look so much better than plastic guards.

Sandwich

Re The clogging thing. Here I have to choose my route with care in the soggy months as it’s possible to lock the wheels and have a 20kg bike to carry as a result. This is on the 35mm wide tyres with guards over. London clay FTW.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, anyone know of something cheaper than the lovely but expensive simworks jobbies that will fit a 650bx2.25 gravel bike?

desperatebicycle

I got some from ebay for mine, I think they were £13. Once fitted are just as good as the SKS I’ve got, but a bit more adjustable so fit wider tyres. (not sure about 2.25″)

Just found the ebay ad – they’ve gone up to £18.79 now – search RDK Commuter mudguards.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I use Halfords own brand, cheap and cheerful.
    They have lasted me 2 years now.

iainc

I’m selling a brand new pair of unopended and boxed Speedrockers, collection only as a bit bulky, Glasgow south, for £30.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bike mudguards’ is closed to new replies.