Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,610 total)
  • Gigs.
  • tuboflard

Saw Pulp at Bridlington on the opening night of their Encore tour on Friday. Bloody brilliant, good mix of well known and less well known tracks, did a solid two hours and Jarvis was the showman he’s always been, not lost an ounce of it even though he’s knocking on 60. Anyone seeing them this summer is in for a treat.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Rival Consoles at Barbican Centre on Sat night was a musical trip. A bit niche but I love that drone sound and it pressed all of my buttons.

desperatebicycle

Rival Consoles at Barbican Centre on Sat night was a musical trip.

Ah, gutted! I was supposed to be at that. My mate who bought the tickets buggered off on holiday to Greece instead!
    I ended up at a comedy club seeing Tom Ward and Darren Harriett. Was a pretty decent evening 😊
    Meryl Streep tomorrow at the Green Door Store. 3rd gig there this month, love the little shitole 😁

theotherjonv

I saw Personal Trainer supported by Shtëpi at Boileroom last Thursday. Good, but not brilliant if I’m honest – venue was rammed and got very uncomfortable, my knee’s knackered and being unable to move around a bit it starts to hurt.

Weds 31, also seeing Meryl Streek at a little venue in London. Very excited for that.

Scapegoat

Got all excited the other day when I saw QOTSA were playing Halifax Piece Hall. Except when I went to book tickets they’re playing the same night I’ve got tickets to see Muse/Royal Blood at John Smiths, Huddersfield. Bugger.

theotherjonv

…. assuming Royal Blood can be bothered and don’t throw a hissy fit

martinhutch

That Royal Blood thing is hilarious.

a) It’s Dundee, and you’ve agreed to play a pop festival
    b) It’s Dundee, and they’ve come to see Lewis Capaldi
    c) It’s Dundee, and you’ve put on your best English private school accent to have a go at them.

Just surprised and disappointed at the lack of piss bottle throwing.
    Anyone else get a Sick Bikes vibe from them?

desperatebicycle

Meryl Streep tomorrow

yeah, auto-corrected to seeing a famous actress at the GDS! I think jonv got the gist 😛

rockbus

Just back from bearded theory which was a smashing festival. Some brilliant bands but particular mention to the go team, panic shack, elvana, the undertones (surprisingly brilliant) and Gary Numan.
    Primal scream headlined the last night and were fantastic which was a relief as when saw them at Glastonbury last year was one of my most disappointing live performances.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Slightly different tak on the thread but I took my girls 11 and 14 to see Harry Styles at Coventry last Tuesday. They have seen loads of live music and been to at least 1 music festival every year of there lives but really nice to be able to see them develop there own taste in music and see there first big stadium gig. Was an excellent show, great stage and screens that really gave every single person in the whole stadium a great view. Never seen screens on the sides of the stage before for the crowd seated almost behind the stage. The screaming was a little hard to handle at times but every single person there seemed to have an amazing time which was so nice to see. Late night on a school night going there and back from Devon but you only regret the things you didn’t do.

docrobster
    Free Member

I was also at bearded theory and enjoyed panic shack, the go team and undertones. Missed elvana as they were main stage and I was melting so went into a tent for shade. Also hugely enjoyed opus kink, the bug club (of course), echo and the bunnymen, and many other bands of all size. Did not enjoy 2 hours trapped in the car park yesterday.
    Best performance of the weekend by far was the weather though.

woody2000

Also saw Pulp at the weekend (Neighbourhood weekender Warrington), enjoyed it but can’t say it was the best gig I’ve ever been to. Jarvis was on good form though 🙂

Wandered between the main stage and a second stage for most of the day, second stage definitely had a better atmosphere (largely as it was covered so contained the sound better). We were there to see Pulp really, so anyone else we saw was a bonus; Confidence man were good value, top quality electro-pop and a good performance. Lottery winners also get an honourable mention as their front man was brilliant. Anyone pining for the Arctic Monkeys to go back to their early style should check out the Reytons as they appear to be an AM clone! 🙂

desperatebicycle

Met a “gig buddy” at Meryl Streek (still waiting for him) we were stood at the front, she’s about 5’5″, some dick pushes his way in front of her, his shoulder right in her face, to take a photo. Now, I think taking photos during performance is prickish enough, but being ignorant as well!… so I poke him, gesture to this young lady he’s in front of .. I think I pissed them BOTH off! WTF? Is it acceptable behaviour at gigs? Ah well, I’ll continue to call out ignorance, some 30 year old feels manly fighting a 60 year old, instead of just apologising, they won’t get away without some hurt thats for sure. 😂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bit late, I should’ve posted at the weekend. My friends have a band called Quiet Houses and finally saw them on Friday night in Edinburgh. They have supported Tide Lines this spring, since then they e gone from just the two of them and added a drummer and keyboard player. Great songs and wonderful live performance, sounded even better live. £10 quid well spent, bought some merch as well, it was also my daughter’s first proper gig so a memorable night. They are playing in London tonight, hopefully there will be more touring soon.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Melvins.

desperatebicycle

There was a short fella at the Meryl Streek gig last night with a t-shirt proudly displaying the word “Cockwomble”.. wasn’t anyone off here?? I thought that was a STW word 🙂

highlandman
    Free Member

Worked med duties at Springsteen, Murrayfield stadium last night.
    Why do some people get so drunk that they’ll end up ill or fall down the stairs and miss their expensive, perhaps once in a generation opportunity..?
    The music was superb, by the way. A full three hours, hit the stage two minutes early and the atmosphere really ramped up, especially in the final hour. I probably caught about two thirds of it, between jobs and had a great vantage point.

IdleJon

t-shirt proudly displaying the word “Cockwomble”.. wasn’t anyone off here?? I thought that was a STW word 🙂

I thought it came from James May, or maybe Top Gear in general, not here. I may be wrong, though.

I’m going to see Martyn Joseph in Cardigan on Friday. I’m riding across to Pembrokeshire (60 miles or so, gravel-ish), meeting my wife, then dinner and the gig. He’s doing a words and music thing with Bob Harris, so should be interesting. He always gives good gig!

IdleJon

Why do some people get so drunk that they’ll end up ill or fall down the stairs and miss their expensive, perhaps once in a generation opportunity..?

I shared a flat with a friend who would go out, get astonishingly drunk and not remember anything about it. He once arrived back covered in his own blood, but remembered nothing about the fight next morning.

A few of us went to a local gig one night, about 20 years ago. My flatmate did his normal amnesiac drunk thing so still has no memories of that Lost Prophets gig. Maybe that’s a good thing now. 😀

desperatebicycle

I thought it came from James May, or maybe Top Gear in general, not here.

Ah, would explain why I’ve only seen it here 🙂

CountZero

Next month got a ticket for James at Bristol harbourside amphitheatre which should be great providing the weather is good.

Saw them at IoW Festival in 2015. Never what you could call a fan, but they were fantastic, I was somewhat surprised to discover how many of their songs I knew! Just shows how ubiquitous they’ve been over the years. Tim ended up crowd surfing as well.

Enjoy! 😎

ads678

Saw Pulp at Bridlington on the opening night of their Encore tour on Friday. Bloody brilliant, good mix of well known and less well known tracks, did a solid two hours and Jarvis was the showman he’s always been, not lost an ounce of it even though he’s knocking on 60. Anyone seeing them this summer is in for a treat

This makes me happy, we’re (the missus and I) going to see Pulp in Scarborough on the 9th July. Can’t bloody wait!

Got Arctic Monkeys in Sheffield June 9th as well, that ones more for the kids, but should still be good.

docrobster
    Free Member

James can be fantastic live. Seen them many many times. From the moment I started uni in October 88 when the stripmine album was out- “what for” was the catchy single off that. This was before the stone roses had exploded and they were (I thought) going to take over where the smiths had left off and be the iconic jangly manc band of the time. Then Madchester happened and they had to come back with the “there’s always been a dance element in our music” remixes etc. I lapped it all up and saw them as often as I could 88-91. Went off them a bit after the third and fourth albums and didn’t see them again until the last 8-10 years at various different festivals. The most memorable James gig in recent years was in the botanical gardens in Sheffield in June 2016 in the rain, right down the front with Tim crowd surfing again.
    Back of my head visible in one of these pics:

https://www.eventhestars.co.uk/2016/07/james-sherlocks-sheffield-botanical.html

so I’m hopeful that even with an orchestra at latitude on the Sunday they’ll be great again.

docrobster
    Free Member

Undecided about arctic monkeys at hillsborough park. Daughter and her boyfriend going on the Saturday. The road signs are up warning of the chaos we will have to cope with that weekend if we are around. I was disappointed with them in 2018 at Sheffield arena. But it could be great. Quite a lot of now unwanted tickets coming up on local Facebook groups and a few on Twickets too so could go but not sure I’d enjoy it as much as the one at Lancashire county cricket ground with Amy winehouse as support. £90 a pop too… but as I’m going to have to let my pulp ticket go for Sheff arena on 14/7 in order to support daughter whose doing a sponsored walk that day, I can maybe justify it…. Will see pulp at latitude but would’ve been better on home turf.

Back to reality and looking further ahead pip blom next February at the fab crookes club looks like a good non valentines night out… and under £20

desperatebicycle

Xiu Xiu last night at the Green Door Store – best of the year so far, be a hard one to top… intense, freaky, out there, awesome. Not many coming up before festival season hits but I’ll be reliving that for a while.

Actually second time for Sudan Archives coming up, in a rather bigger venue than last time (not that big though 😊)

rone

so I’m hopeful that even with an orchestra at latitude on the Sunday they’ll be great again.

I really enjoyed the orchestra sound, a real big sound with the choir too.

I enjoyed them the most on their farewell tour 2001.

rone

I’m so sad to be missing pulp (away) I saw them on their final run at the Arena and before that at Sherwood Pines outdoor  gigs – both ecstatic experiences.

So many bands having final runs and then coming back.

Scapegoat

martinhutchFull Member
    That Royal Blood thing is hilarious.

a) It’s Dundee, and you’ve agreed to play a pop festival
    b) It’s Dundee, and they’ve come to see Lewis Capaldi
    c) It’s Dundee, and you’ve put on your best English private school accent to have a go at them.

or Mike Kerr behaving like his brother Juan…

theotherjonv

@dez, what did you make of Meryl Streek?

desperatebicycle

@dez, what did you make of Meryl Streek

Dunno if you saw my post about the ignorant knobber getting all aggressive with his photo taking? Maybe that was why, but I wasn’t feeling it. Was ok, I liked the stuff where a bit of melody came through, but all felt a bit samey. Angry shout , heavy rock taped backing. Worth seeing anyway!

Had a bit if a boogie, but I was feeling like I might get into a scrap and I wouldn’t wanna be banned from the GDS, amongst other things!

theotherjonv

yep, saw that, Sounds like a proper prick. Spoke briefly to ‘Meryl’ on the merch stand after – real name Dave – and he seems like a lovely guy behind the anger.

I’m still very impressed….

aP
    Free Member

Django Django at the RFH last night were good fun.

desperatebicycle

Sounds like a proper prick.

Most definitely! What got me is that he was sticking his phone right in “Dave”‘s face when he was onstage! Now, in my punk days, if you’d done that to a singer you would’ve had that camera (fortunately there were no phones *sigh*!) smacked straight out of your hand. They just accept it these days. Ah John Lydon, last year calling the bloke a “Soppy C***” for filming. That’s my kind of attitude! 😀

Northwind

Had tickets to see Ginger Wildheart on friday. Lost ’em. Just vanished completely. He’s just announced another show in teh same venue because of all the people who couldn’t get in, but I’m including myself in that number.

Weirdly quiet just now, I guess the covid backlog is cleared? Next, I need to find out where the hell Bedford is so I can go and see Hell Is For Heroes there, I’m hoping it’s within a nice easy walk of Edinburgh… Should probably check before July though.

StuF

Fun lovin criminals booked in Notts in December. It’s the 25th anniversary of 100% Colombian which they’re going to play in full. Should be good, they put on a great performance when I saw them in Bristol earlier in the year.

theotherjonv

You do know Huey’s not in FLC any longer. And whether FLC are FLC without Huey……

And is Bedford near Edinburgh. Erm….. if you’re walking, and the gig’s July, start shortly.

tartanscarf

Leftfield at the Barrowlands last week – great gig.  Amyl and the Sniffers in Dundee and Edinburgh in August, hopefully catch something else before then.  👍👍

Sandwich

Steve Earle in York was a great show. Some singing encouraged and possibly the best version of Mr Bojangles I’ve heard.

He’s certainly lived an interesting life. Describing finding his dead son’s body after an overdose of fentanyl from adulterated cocaine was harrowing. The Grand Opera was a bit dusty for a while.

StuF

You do know Huey’s not in FLC any longer. And whether FLC are FLC without Huey……

Yep no Huey but they still put on a great show, and even more chuffed that my daughter wants to come with me again as she enjoyed the Bristol gig so much

docrobster
    Free Member

Arctic monkeys last night. 40000 people singing along slightly out of time and very out of tune. Apart from that it was great and so much better than last time I saw them. The hives were a great support band too. S6 is a happy place this month.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,610 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.