• This topic has 1,611 replies, 288 voices, and was last updated 14 hours ago by StuF.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 1,612 total)
  • Gigs.
  • Northwind

Absolute ticketmaster fiascos for the 6 Biffy Clyro shows later this year… Preorders both plagued with website errors causing people to lose tickets even at the last steps (which they deny ever happened) and an outright website crash. I ended up getting a cheap 02 sim just to get into their preorder and managed to get 2 whole tickets despite at various points having all 3 nights “allocated”. ****ing ticketmaster. ****ing 02 priority.

So I’m off to London apparently to see the Blackened Sky night. Main release tomorrow, 3 of us going to try and get tickets for other shows, we’ll probably end up with 6 for a single night or something 😛 But I can’t resist, I saw them doing these same 3 albums, 3 nights on the trot at king tuts back in 2005 and thought I’d never hear most of the songs live again.

May be some interesting man maths coming up once they start allowing resales. Exactly how much will I pay to see Vertigo of Bliss at the Barras? I guess I’m paying for train tickets and a hotel and a ticket for london soooooooo

donks
    Free Member

Have booked tickets to see Goat at the Troxy in Oct. I’ve wanted to see this lot for ages so hoping it will deliver.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member
    Garry_Lager

Pixies were in good form last night at Manchester Albert Hall – they have a new bassist, Emma Richardson who was in Band of Skulls. Played Bossanova / Trompe le Monde plus a few others at the end.

I bumped into an old school friend at the gig – we saw Pixies on the original TLM tour at Manchester GMEX, around 200 yards away from the Albert Hall. A shocking 33 years ago. Swear down Frank Black looks like he stepped out of a time capsule – looks and sounds the same as then

London this Sunday with son, his first indoor gig. Balcony seats, didn’t want to risk a knock back on the door with him being 13. He is mega excited. Despite it not being a Doolittle play through.

Wife is raging though as it’s a school night and we need to get home to Reading after.

joelowden

10cc last night, thoroughly enjoyable.

salsaboy

Bit of a booking flurry yesterday, Cosmo Sheldrake in Leeds, Arab Strap in Leeds, The Unthanks in Todmorden, The Reverend Peytons Big Damn Band in Leeds and GNOD at the Golden Lion in Todmorden.

IdleJon

I saw radiohead at Gloucester Cathedral on the weekend, left halfway through – yes it was impressive musically, and a fitting setting, but the music just didn’t speak to me at all, and it was chuffing freezing so we went to the pub instead.

Going back to this, I was under the impression that Radiohead aren’t active at the moment, especially as The Smile are in the middle of a tour. It seems that what you went to was an unnamed band touring around cathedrals playing Radiohead’s music. The internet was quite reluctant to give me any info about it at all and the ads aren’t terribly clear that it’s not Radiohead, but then tickets seem to be less than £20.

Anyway, I’m going to see Mad Dog McRea down the road from my house tonight.

IdleJon

though I have my doubts about accordian instrumentals that have a deep message about solidarity, maybe I just don’t speak accordian. Bit of poetry?

I streamed some Clifton Chenier a week or two ago, the King of Zydeco. (The title sparked my interest because of the Cinelli King Zydeco bike!)? I never knew that zydeco was a type of music, and found out that Clifton Chenier is very enjoyable! Like a sort of blues but with lots of piano-accordion.

freeagent
    Free Member

I saw Normandie supported by Self Deception and As December Falls at the Electric Ballroom in Camden last night.

Self Deception were awesome, As December Falls were a bit generic fronted by yet another Shirley Manson wannabe. Normandie were great – second time i’ve seen them – would recommend.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Field trip down to Manchester to see Fever Ray at the Albert hall tonight, not disappointed!

I’m seeing The Breeders in there in June. Looks a nice venue, but it’s been a mission arranging travel down from Glasgow.

desperatebicycle

I was under the impression that Radiohead aren’t active at the moment,

Haha! he saw Just Radiohead, some tribute band shite! 😂
    Got the Gossip gig coming up… after seeing them on the 6music fest highlights, looking forward to it.. bra & pants? oh yeah 😅

Sandwich

Grace Petrie last night had some good support in Gabi Garbutt and Molly Naylor. The new album is a mix of down beat songs about the state of the nation and upbeat stuff about being madly loved-up.

joelowden

The Musical Box in Glasgow last night, all of Selling England by the Pound. Superb.

@the-muffin-man did you go to These Wicked Rivers at the Pav last night?

Thought they were ok, but didn’t blow me away. Much preferred Empyre who were supporting. Mrs STR was of the same opinion

DP

aphex_2k
    Free Member

YES!!!!

Mungo’s Hifi are doing an Aus / NZ tour.

The last night is in Freo! So I’ll be at Chase & Status on the 24th and Mungos on the 21st.

Heavy, heavy week!

StuF

The Radiohead thing is a group playing Radiohead songs by a promoter called letmeinpresents, they are doing a tour of cathedrals.

But, they are exceedingly good musicians and the haunting music suits the setting. If you like Radiohead then I’d recommend going to see them, but I understand that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea as it’s not the real Radiohead. It’s also only £10-£30 per ticket so you can’t complain.

I’ve seen them a couple of times and would go and see them again.

Keva
    Free Member

Went to see the Bees a couple of weeks ago at the Islington Assermbly Halls.

Absolutely great gig, thoroughly enjoyed it.

See a lot of love for The Smile on here and 6 music

Had a listen there other day on Tidal

Jeez, what a load of boring old tripe

Subjective, I know

the-muffin-man

@TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

Yep – we went.

I really enjoyed Wicked Rivers but that style of rock is right up my street though! 🙂
    Another UK band in that style is Doomsday Outlaw. And the best gig I’ve ever seen was Black Crowes at Sheffield City Hall donkeys years ago.

Empyre – very good, really impressed with them too. Will certainly look out for future gigs. Thought at times they sounded like a rockier Editors. And the lead guitarist didn’t get the ‘black’ dress code message! 🙂

Best thing was to see some good live music at the Pav – not been in there since it was a nightlcub! 🤣

The band I’m a bit obsessed by at the minute though is Sleep Token.

I really enjoyed Wicked Rivers but that style of rock is right up my street though!

Usually up my street too. Just didn’t get drawn in by any of the songs, which was a shame really. Wanted to really like them and had high hopes, just didn’t click for me 😞

donks
    Free Member

Off to Kentish forum in a bit to see Pixies. Should be good to see them playing stuff other than surfer or Doolittle.

Also just booked tickets for A Certain Ratio at Bedford Esquires in may which I’m looking forward to.

IdleJon

The Radiohead thing is a group playing Radiohead songs by a promoter called letmeinpresents, they are doing a tour of cathedrals.

But, they are exceedingly good musicians…

Yes, but two people on here claim to have seen Radiohead in the last couple of weeks. There’s obviously some sort of misrepresentation going on somewhere.

See a lot of love for The Smile on here and 6 music

Had a listen there other day on Tidal

Subjective, I know

Yes, it is subjective. I reckon that their new album is the best thing I’ve heard this year. It’s not boring grandad-blues-rock, anyway. 😀

asbrooks

Mrs asbrooks was desperate to see Radiohead and is on the mailing list for the Alexandra Palace. They were advertising a gig as Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenward’s The Smile. It was sold out of course but that didn’t stop her paying over the odds for two tickets using Viagogo. She was so excited about it unitl she discovered it’s not Radiohead, I told her to listen to the Smile as it’s not what she expects it to be. Oh man was she disappointed. Anyway we can’t resell the tickets so we are going at the weekend.

We were at the Kentish Town Forum Saturday just gone for the Pixies. They were on fire, one of their best performances IMO and I’ve seen them 7 times so far.

the-muffin-man

It’s not boring grandad-blues-rock, anyway. 😀

Show me you’re a music snob with showing me you’re a music snob…

IdleJon

the-muffin-manFull Member
    It’s not boring grandad-blues-rock, anyway. 😀
    Show me you’re a music snob with showing me you’re a music snob…

Maybe. Although I love blues-rock. I have hopefully grown up a bit since I was a teenager and told other people that their music choices were rubbish. :/

BoardinBob

Black Pumas this weekend in Manchester. Nice wee road trip for the weekend

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Saw Mark Morriss (of The Bluetones) last night. Absolutely superb.. great chat, more laughs than seeing a comedian and his stuff was excellent. Well worth catching him.

Off to see him and Adam Devlin on Saturday night in York. Saw them last year at the same venue and agree, they were superb. Had a nice chat with him afterwards…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Pixies were in good form last night at Manchester Albert Hall – they have a new bassist, Emma Richardson who was in Band of Skulls. Played Bossanova / Trompe le Monde plus a few others at the end.

No Kim Deal? 🙁

asbrooks

No Kim Deal? 🙁

You have to move on from that one I’m afraid.

theotherjonv

sort of a gig, just popped up on a feed. I’ve seen a few times and always good, and he / they’re livestreaming a semi-acoustic gig tonight. From about 28 mins on

desperatebicycle

Gossip tonight. More excited than I expected to be at seeing Beth do her stuff 😀

Mate just got us tickets for Tom Vek at a small venue in Southampton… seated! A seated gig! Not been to one of those since…erm, Bauhaus at Southampton Gaumont I think it was, in the 80s. Oh, there was a Bjork one, for Biophilia, must’ve been 10 years ago. Still I am 60 now, so it’ll probably be nice to rest me old bones for a change 👴

verses

Tomorrow nights entertainment will be provided by Elvana – should be a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F-f2QlC-Ss

oomidamon

I saw The Jesus and Mary Chain at the Brudenell in Leeds last night, they were on good form. Great to see them in sucha a small venue.

donks
    Free Member

Pixies were terrific on Monday night. Seen them a few times now and it was refreshing to get a different setlist from the old favourites. Not listened to Tromp or Bossanova all that much since they came out and there’s loads of good stuff I’ve just plain forgotten about.

A couple of wazzacks behind me spent the night griping about not knowing any of the songs which made me chuckle as they obviously didn’t look at the tour information.

On the moan front…bloody phones and folk right in front of me practically filming the entire show and then when not filming sending it out over social. I know this topic has been done to death but I don’t usually go to bigger events so tend not to get troubled by this much but FFS.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have Happy Mondays on Good Friday (along with Inspiral Carpets). I have just seen Gary Numan tickets at the beginning of June but they are over £40 and I already have Glastonbury that month so I am not sure I should be spending so much in a single month.

StuF

Just got tickets to Shed Seven at Rock City in Dec – should be a good blast from the past, they were on form earlier in the year they did an acoustic in store event – amazing how you remember songs that you’ve not heard for 25+ years.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^ Yeah I am thinking about getting Shed Seven tickets too.

jamj1974

I am going to see Shed Seven in December.

StuF

Yeah I am thinking about getting Shed Seven tickets too.

@Johndoh
    You want to be quick, they’re selling out quickly

singletrackmind

Off to see Big Country tonight in Southampton
    Best dig out my checked shirt and some earplugs. Got mild tinnitus already from live music and don’t want it to get any worse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 1,612 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.