Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,610 total)
  • Gigs.
  • jamj1974

Mark Morriss is such a good front man – had a good chat (and a selfie – sad I know) with him afterwards. Was more than happy to talk music etc although I think part him was glad to come and chat with me and the missus after some lunatic geordie woman collared him – he looked terrified

I’ve seen the Bluetones many times including when they toured with Sleeper. I used to like his frontman approach, but it turns out he has a history of manipulation and gaslighting. I can’t support that.

docrobster
    Free Member

Teleman last night were great. I think I must have seen them at a festival in the past but can’t really remember it. Great in a medium sized venue though.

CountZero

there are some available in Block 7 (at the back!) of Nottingham Arena – £48.00 each inc. fees which is far more palatable than £200 to sit at the front!

A lot further north than I’m prepared to go, and I don’t want to need binoculars and oxygen when watching a band. The O2 is even worse in the top tier seats – I genuinely don’t have a good enough head for heights to sit up there. I’ve been in the very top row at the Royal Albert Hall, I was very uncomfortable just walking down a few seats, because of the steep steps and the height, my mate had to leave, he couldn’t cope. They kindly moved us to a box on the other side of the hall.
    I’ve got Block A, Row K, Seat 1 for Gabriel at the O2, and it’s an insane amount of money, but I saw him on each of his last two tours, and two or three times before that; the last two tours were ten years apart, and he’s now in his 70’s. It’s almost certainly his last ever tour, I can easily afford it, and it’s kind of my birthday present to myself.

And, frankly, I don’t have to justify it anyone, least of all some random on the internet.

Having said that, Ticketmaster and Live Nation need to be torn to pieces, their business practices are reprehensible, no matter how much they try to justify it by saying it’s the artists demanding the prices, because other booking agencies don’t charge as much.

frankconway

Not music but…John Cooper Clarke tomorrow in a Victorian theatre in Lincoln.

sadexpunk

Not music but…John Cooper Clarke tomorrow in a Victorian theatre in Lincoln.

oooh nice one, hadnt seen that, love a bit of dr john. *scurries off to ticketmaster*

docrobster
    Free Member

John copper Clarke is also playing the devils arse in castleton in a couple of weeks but I think we will be to the get together 1 day festival thing instead

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Randomly popped up on a facebook ad the other day that The Cult are playing Scarbados open air theatre in July. Awesome – booked for me and the kids to go. On a school night too. Suit you sir 😀

frankconway

sadexpunk – call the new theatre royal box office direct; don’t bother with ticket agencies.

dazh

Bloody hell, they are a bit angry arent they.

Went to see Benefits in Hebden last week. Second time I’ve seen them and they’ve somehow cranked up the anger and noise to another level. I don’t know of any single band past or present who can create an outlet for people’s anger and frustration as they do, and yet somehow make you feel good about it.

johnjn2000

@dazh, I was actually referencing Meryl Streak rather than the Benefits. But now my mind has had time to process the anger from Meryl I will check out Benefits 🙂

theotherjonv

If Meryl Streek were too angry, I’d save Benefits until you’re ready for them.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

New Order, Glasgow later in the year. Not seen them since Hooky left.

desperatebicycle

They’re not New Order since Hooky left 😝

Two gigs in 2 days done s Onoe Caponoe at the Green Door Store, brilliant atmosphere. He was in the crowd moshing more than he was actually on stage.
    Then tonight was Foals. Cheap Outstore gig.. good job, cos I left early. They’re ok, but the twiddly guitar sound gets a bit tedious after a few songs… not the reason I left though, that was the crowd – singing and clapping along like it was the **** Tweenies. Not really my sort of thing I guess.

Sandwich

Due to a “heads up” by a mate from Kelso I’m seeing Steve Earle next month in York. Woo and indeed hoo.

Still some stalls tickets left for those that don’t like heights.

rone

Went to see James with the orchestra/Choir at Sheffield City Hall, very good and a hard one to pull off given expectations.

Always arseholes in crowds these days though.

docrobster
    Free Member

A mate was at that gig rone. I wasn’t sure about the whole orchestral bit so gave it a miss. They are performing it at latitude though so may catch it there.

rone

I’ve always liked seeing them live but nothing has ever got close to the farewell tour of 2001. Its on DVD.

Still very good and ‘Sound’ is incredible.

sc-xc

Just had a listen to Benefits, like them cheers. They remind me of Bob Dylan who were outstanding last time I saw them.

theotherjonv

assume you mean Bob Vylan – I’m struggling to link Dylan to Benefits 😉

sc-xc

^ auto correct 😂

Yep Bob Vylan, they were the best band at Bearded last year

theotherjonv

They’re on my list to see when I can.

NSFW, for those that don’t know them.

desperatebicycle

Only gig I went to during covid was Bob Vylan at the Joiners, was amazing, supported by the awesome Witch Fever too (seen them 3 times since!).
    There’s a great video on yt of them calling out some racist twonk in the crowd in America. (Well, there was, can’t find it now)

djc1245
    Free Member

Going to see Dead Kennedys on 16th at Electric Ballroom Camden. Not sure who will be in the line up, or what it will be like. Worth a look though

swavis

Was down in Edinburgh last night to catch Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats in the Liquid Rooms, absolutely bloody fantastic 😍

tomparkin

Good weekend for music for me.

Friday PM Weedeater in Manchester with support from Mars Red Sky and Telekinetic Yeti. Weedeater’s set started with feedback which basically kept going for an hour, interspersed with some songs. And then at the end the bassist/frontman lent on the wall, the feedback stopped, and he kicked off his shoe which the drummer leaped up and caught. Bonkers but ace.

Saturday PM was Boris in Settle of all places, with support from Pupil Slicer. It’s the only rock/metal gig I’ve been to where a middle-aged lady in a visivest has taken my ticket and given a brief precis as to where the bar, stage, and toilets are located. Boris themselves made the floor vibrate, and made full use of an ace back catalogue to put the set together, including an amazing drone metal track where they were using Sunn O))) esque “fist in the air” coordination for a somewhat free-time riff. And their smoke machine set off the venue smoke alarm twice. Amazing.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Saw the Boss in Dublin last night. Absolutely fantastic show. No support acts straight on and played for 3 hours straight. Great night

CountZero

Teleman last night were great. I think I must have seen them at a festival in the past but can’t really remember it. Great in a medium sized venue though.

Not seen them as Teleman, but I did see them years ago as Ooberman, and they were excellent then.

Just got tickets for The Joy Formidable at The Fleece in Bristol, which was where I first saw them, supporting, IIRC, Howling Bells. And that was a few years ago, too. 2009, apparently. Fourteen years, jeez.

Philby

Saw Hothouse Flowers at St George’s Bristol last night. Last saw them 30 years ago at Glastonbury with a mate who had a few tears at the very emotional gig, and rated it as one of his favourite all time performances. My mate tragically died a few years later, so last night’s concert got a bit dusty at times for me. Amazing live and highly recommend catching them on the rest of their tour.

Next month got a ticket for James at Bristol harbourside amphitheatre which should be great providing the weather is good.

ransos
    Free Member

Next month got a ticket for James at Bristol harbourside amphitheatre which should be great providing the weather is good.

See you there! I last saw them in 1998…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mate saw the James thing with the orchestra in Manchester the other night too – said he loved it…

Saw Sleeper do their acoustic-ey type thing at the Brudenell Club in Leeds at the weekend. Wonderful but weirdly it didn’t feel very gig-ey, more like they were playing in your front room and you just watched and listened. The nature of it didn’t really make it a sing-along type thing. Confirmed that I’m even deeper in love with Louise Wener than ever before though.

rone

Anyone going to see War on Drugs at Halifax piece Hall?

Can you tell me anything about the venue – parking – food – queues to get out etc?

Will being on the balcony be too far away?

Thanks,

woody2000

One of the few I’m not going to @rone

Food and beer queues have been generally well managed, you shouldn’t have to wait long at either.  Balcony will be fine ☺️

Plenty of parking in Halifax, I’d park at the North bridge car park. Or get the train, piece hall is right next to the station

oomidamon

I saw Thumpasaurus in Leeds last night, great gig and a very entertaining band.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Trying the full Sleeper experience next time @ The Crescent in York at the end of August.

docrobster
    Free Member

Get together mini festival round kelham island in Sheffield later today. Looking forward to friendly fires, do nothing, melin melyn, Anthony szmeriek and loads more.
    Probs still tickets left if anyone is interested

https://www.gettogetherfestival.com/

rone

@woody2000 thanks.

wooobob

Went to Osees at Albert Hall in Manchester on Thursday, cracking gig, great atmosphere and lively friendly crowd. It’s such a good venue as well.

Support band Psychic Graveyard were a fun starter too, hadn’t heard of them, they were pretty full on industrial/punk. Brill.

theotherjonv

New venue / old band tomorrow – O2 Birmingham for the Wedding Present. Daughter is down for the weekend, her brother’s in a couple of plays this weekend (last night with 6FC, today with his / her old musical theatre academy)

So when booking tickets, and knowing I was going to drive her back up, gave the opportunity to blood a new generation. Not sure what she’ll make of it, but as I keep telling her – all live music is good!

docrobster
    Free Member

Just seen joy hotel. They were magic. Problem was slight clash with melin melyn in room next door meant couldn’t get in to see them. Breather now for an hour before divorce next. Sun is shiny beer is flowing and there 50 bands playing in a half mile of each other. What’s not to like?!

richardkennerley

The Chats in MCR last night. Had a few too many pints, saw them walking past the pub, so quickly ran after them like an excited school kid for a selfie. The excuse being so I could show my kid cuz she loves them as well. I’m 43.

IMG-20230519-194859445

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,610 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.