• This topic has 1,611 replies, 288 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by StuF.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 1,612 total)
  • Gigs.
  • Sandwich

John Grant in late October is on the cards now.

StuF

@singletrackmind I’d recommend some loop ear plugs, they’re great at taking the edge off so your ears aren’t ringing afterwards.

desperatebicycle

Gossip were pretty good tonight. Very tight band and Beth’s voice is still amazing. Couple of things could’ve been better – she talks A LOT between songs, which I don’t mind, but she’s not as funny as she thinks she is 🤪 and it just wasn’t really loud enough!

singletrackmind

Big Country were better than expected. Good mix of songs from Steel town and The Crossing. Some variable patches of sound quality but good for the most part.
    Too many phones blocking a good view of the stage, but I should have got in a little earlier and elbowed my way to the front.
    Finished poorly though , one of the weakest songs from Steel town when Inwards or Wonderland would have been way better.
    And the motorway was closed on the way home for overnight work, plus failed to get any earplugs so my ears are still ringing.

fatmax

Baxter Dury in May in Edinburgh, and Nick Cave in Glasgow Hydro in November – very excited for both. Haven’t see Dury before and seen Nick Cave three times – with the Bad Seeds, with Warren Ellis (Carnage tour) and his In Conversation gigs.

AdamT

Just seen the chemical brothers at the royal Albert hall. Great!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Same here.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mark Morriss was on superb form on Saturday night. Stood right at the back (by the bar!) but the Fulford Arms is such an intimate venue it didn’t matter. His voice is so good!

Next up, Hives in Leeds on Wednesday with the eldest mini DBW.

IdleJon

Big Country ….
    Finished poorly though , one of the weakest songs from Steel town when Inwards or Wonderland would have been way better.

What did they finish on? The encore for my gig was Restless Natives, which I like but the bulk of the audience obviously hadn’t got a clue about. (It was a 12″ B-side, iirc?)

oomidamon

I’m not sure if it counts for this thread but I’m going to see The Fast Show tonight. Which is nice.

simon_g

Amaranthe and DragonForce last night. Both amazing 🤘🏻

asbrooks

Was at Ally Pally to see the Smile, Saturday just gone. We stood right at the back as we just about arrived as they came on stage, Mrs asbrooks didn’t want to go anyway and we had to drive from Leicester. But standing at the back meant we had to put up with a myriad of conversations going on by the crowd around us. Spoilt it a bit for me.

Next up the Hives at Rock City on Friday.

chrispoffer

If anyone fancies the Hives in Newcastle on Thurs night this week, I’ve just listed two balcony seats on Twickets at less than face value.

https://www.twickets.live/en/event/1710222615236317184

Can’t go, a bit gutted.

chrispoffer

Hives tickets now gone to a good home

desperatebicycle

Heard English Teacher on 6music yesterday, liked it, checked listings, playing the Pompey Wedgewood Rooms in May. Cool, tickets bought 🙂

simondbarnes

playing the Pompey Wedgewood Rooms

I miss that place! Saw many people there when I was at uni.

Plenty of music this weekend for me in Macc – Thr33 tonight, Gas Kunst and Les Attitudes Spectrales tomorrow, Macc Woodfleet on Sunday. Might see if I can find something for Saturday too 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve got Good Mondays on Happy Friday or something like that tomorrow.

desperatebicycle

I miss that place! Saw many people there when I was at uni.

It’s still the same! Not been decorated… 😊 Unfortunately, mostly tribute bands these days… oh! 😁

robertajobb

Bit late to this.

Wayward Sons about 8 or 9 weeks ago at the Rescue Rooms (next door to Rock City).  Sound was….disappointing. (or actually, quite shiiite really).  just waaay too loud. Started with overly loud drums. Then the bass too loud to try to keep up. Then everything else on 11 (or 13 actually) so totally swamped.

After that, Florence Black at KKs Steel Mill. Absolutely fantastic. Best gig in years and years for me. What an enormous, full sound from a 3 piece. So tight. On the limit of  heavy for me, but with plenty of melody too to offset. £14 inc 2 support bands. Absolute bargain of a lifetime. I’d go see them again tomorrow at 5x the price at the drop of a hat.

robertajobb

Next Friday… Joe Bonamassa at the Albert Hall,  darn sarf in that there Laaardan.  Not seen him, or the inside of the AH, before. Defo looking forward to that.

Northwind

Next week, Hell Is For Heroes in Glasgow. Just realised I’m going with my brother and my mate graham who’s up from London, last time the 3 of us all went to a Hell Is For Heroes show together I ended up in hospital.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Ironically, the seats were very ‘Presbyterian’.

(the Jesus and Mary Chain)

Next time, I’ll bring a cushion😣😣😣

failedengineer

Baxter Dury and Richard Thompson in May.  Both at the Sage.

bajsyckel

Sunn O))) the other night, supported by Jesse Sykes. Interesting.

johndoh
    Free Member

StereoMCs, Inspiral Carpets and Happy Mondays last night – it was a great night, but I thought Happy Mondays were upstaged by the two ‘support’ acts. Bez was on form though 🤣🤣🤣🤣

simondbarnes

I’m actually going to venture out of my town in a couple of weeks 😲

Have just booked a ticket to see Heavy Salad in Manc 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Just seen Sunn O))) at The Barbican.

T’was splendid! 🤗🤗

rogerturner

Saw Johnny Marr in Leeds last night. He was absolutely excellent, playing from across his back catalogue. Supported by Gaz Coombes, who I wasn’t bothered about beforehand but was also very good. Made me want to investigate his recent solo stuff.

simondbarnes

Legs on Wheels for me tonight 🙂

434737391_1171286774242893_1273412213410438145_n

robertajobb

Joe Bonamassa at the Albert Hall in Laardan last night. Brilliant.

CountZero

Saw Cara Dillon again last night, at Wiltshire Music Centre in Bradford-on-Avon, which despite only being about a twenty minute drive away I’ve never been to before! Nice place, steeply banked seating so a nice clear view over people’s heads. Superb sound too, which is good, ‘cos Cara and Sam were recording the show.
    Got tickets yesterday to see Sam’s brother Seth Lakeman at Frome Cheese & Grain, which is where Cara and Sam live, so should be a good family event.

Coming up there’s Elbow, at the O2, Hurray for the Riff Raff at Bristol New Trinity, The Staves at Bristol SWX, Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets at Bristol Beacon, Judie Tzuke at Bath Chapel Arts.
    I’m sure there’s more to come.

sadexpunk

got 2 tickets for sprints at nottingham on saturday.  theyre sold out all tour and id left it too long so im happy with that, got a couple from someone on the facebook group.

subhumans later on this month at lincoln.

verses

Had a retro 90s gig at Norwich Waterfront on Saturday – Dodgy supported by the singer from Seahorses.  They were… good enough

Mackem

Last week , in Leeds – Stereo MCs, Inspiral carpets and Happy Mondays,

1st two were great, Happy Mondays werent good, forgot how few of their songs were actually decent.

2tyred

King Creosote at Troon town hall on Friday night there, first night of his Any Port In A Storm tour, round small coastal towns in Scotland. First I’ve seen him play in a few years, was good.

These days I increasingly welcome seated gigs, the downside being you can’t just shift away from people who have forgotten how to behave in public, talking all the time, that sort of thing.

Then! Talking to a friend over the weekend and mentioned it, and she suddenly started on about him being some kind of wrong ‘un for having a bit of a libertarian/pro-Brexit streak. I wasn’t aware of this, turns out she has some kind of list of Scottish indie folk holding political views with which she disagrees. Definitely at the Matthew Hopkins end of the separate-art-from-the-artist spectrum.

johndoh
    Free Member

@Mackem – I said exactly the same a few posts up ^^^^ – I was really disappointed with Happy Mondays.

I’m about to get tickets to see ‘Alchemy Live’ – a very good Dire Straights covers band – at a tiny venue in Knaresborough.

simondbarnes

One overheard pub conversation this evening plus a bit of phone & PayPal action meant I got to see J Mascis. Fantastic!

20240408_212822

simondbarnes

Jesus Knievel, Sugarstone and Heavy Salad tonight. Bloody marvellous.

gallowayboy

@2tyred we saw Kenny creosote at the Glasgow fruit market last month, he had a minor rant at the end, mostly anti globalist,  but hinting at COVID denial/surveillance stuff which took me aback a bit. And he was wearing a tin foil hat brigade t shirt which I took to be a joke initially but I’m not sure. He used to be my one of my favourite live acts, but that’s drifting.

avdave2

On my way home from Johnny Marr at the Dome in Brighton.

He was fantastic, pulling off looking like the coolest man on the planet combined with a kid having the time of his life. Last saw him 39 years ago on the same stage!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 1,612 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.