Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 286 total)
  • Female riders – would you enter an event that categorised you as a 'whore'?
  • cookeaa

Which is kind of the question here: does using “whore” bring that bias up or is it just a bit of self-aware fun?

Fair question…

Discussing this with my wife, she puts it down as misguided humour, and doesn’t see any benefit from it. She wouldn’t want to enter an event with these category names.

I’d say if it puts women off of entering (you know, an event sort of focussed on growing participation of women in MTBing) then it’s being interpreted by the target audience as more towards the “sexual bias” end of the scale and thus it’s been a counterproductive choice…

I still think it betrays a bit much about the organisers own understanding of gender politics, that they opted for this particular brand of “Self aware fun” but hey apparently they’re cool so I’m guessing using similar terms in all other areas of life is cool now, contrary to much of what I’ve learned during the last 30 odd years of my life…

I shall be Referring to my wife as “Whore” when she gets home and will report back on the results…

squirrelking
    Free Member

I meant more in the sense that if your wife/sister/daughter/whoever enters then they have made the decision themselves and you have no say in that. None. Be as offended by the names as you like but that’s your problem alone. A lot like you have no say over what they dress like, who they see or what they get up to really.

Bez

I don’t even know whether my wife is a virgin or a cougar.

matt_outandabout

I don’t even know whether my wife is a virgin or a cougar.

Must. Resist.

Bez

I meant more in the sense that if your wife/sister/daughter/whoever enters

Oh, I see. Sorry, got the wrong end of the stick. Jolly good. As you were 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

However it’s their choice to enter, not yours. Hence this argument is a dead end.

Not really there are only 2 women only enduro’s in the UK so.

Real pros to Enduro Maiden for putting on these events because no one else is.

I have been working hard in the south to make enduro more attractive and accessible for women but I have had to say no to organising women only events.

Even cutting back to basic medical cover, timing, land hire, marshal fees etc… I couldn’t do it for less that 80 riders, unless the entry fee was £45 but that makes it not very good value for money for a basic event.

Bez

Must. Resist.

I had to do the same after the post about someone’s wife not getting it.

faustus

I’m in agreement with those that want to discuss the issue, and annoyed at those dismissing the idea that anyone can talk about it. Others have already responded well to that…

My point is: irrespective of the gender of the people organising it, how does using these terms benefit the aims of the event, and for making mtbing more appealing and inclusive? It doesn’t. I get the idea that being humorous can create a less serious vibe and mtbing seems to have a good tradition of this, making events lean more toward fun. Surely there is a better way to achieve a friendly, inclusive, and encouraging event than resorting to a divisive taste in ironic humour?

cinnamon_girl

Kettle’s on Cinnamon Girl, do you have biscuits? I only whore my kettle out for biscuits

😀 only gluten-free biccies but they’re quite acceptable in that one is usually sufficient. 😉

wl
    Free Member

I’m not female but I just saw this on Twitter. I always knew there was a puerile side to the MTB sub-culture, and in 2017 using language and marketing like this is just garbage. It’s quite possibly counterproductive and it’s definitely plain crass. For me, a big mistake by whichever individual or brand organised the event. Another one of those times I’m embarrassed to be a biker. Oh, and the gender of the organisers makes no difference, and personally I’d question their ‘coolness’ referred to earlier.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I was trying to think of male equivalents for the categories

Enduro Gigolo’s?

It all sounds a bit of OTT.

I still think it betrays a bit much about the organisers own understanding of gender politics, that they opted for this particular brand of “Self aware fun” but hey apparently they’re cool so I’m guessing using similar terms in all other areas of life is cool now

What Cookea said

bikebouy
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    I am with bez on this – I am not feeling outrage, more puzzled as to how this works in a positive, riding bikes, being women, cultural way…

Ey, my thoughts exakerly.

Be interesting to go watch though, maybe they’ll have the category name on the rider in question…. 😕

Any publicity is good publicity though eh.

matt_outandabout

@Bez

It is like someone asked for a double-entendre, so they gave us one.

DezB
    Free Member

First reaction is click on the “About Us” link.

All wimminz. Shrug.

Second reaction, what a crap logo.

Third reaction- I wonder what the Mini-Maidens would think of the category names 😆

aracer
    Free Member

Apart from not being a girl, I’m pretty much with you there, cg.

I’m not particularly bothered by use of words myself, but if it is offputting to some women (as evidence above suggests) then it’s a poor use of terminology. Sure they might be getting lots of entrants, but is that in spite of the category names? I presume a lot of their target market probably find it amusing (not only am I not female, I’m not likely to enter an enduro either), but that doesn’t mean some potential entrants aren’t put off by it.

I’m offended by proxy 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Must. Resist.
    [/quote]

The question is, has everybody else?

poah
    Free Member

Don’t see an issue with it as I understand the humour apart from the fact that only 3 enduro races make you a whore but you can have up to 3 and still be a virgin.

Bez

I’m more concerned by the fact that anyone who has entered exactly three previous races and is aged 22-30 can’t enter anything at all 🙂

matt_outandabout

New category – chastity riders?

chakaping
    Free Member

Even cutting back to basic medical cover, timing, land hire, marshal fees etc… I couldn’t do it for less that 80 riders, unless the entry fee was £45 but that makes it not very good value for money for a basic event.

It’s subsidised IIRC.

As the OP is asking female riders to respond, I’m not gonna get offended on their behalf.

Did raise my eyebrows a bit. I can see the idea of keeping it light-hearted, like a mates’ race – but agree it looks odd on Roots & Rain.

eb2429
    Free Member

It just seems a lazy attempt (at best) to be cool.

Reading all the posts I see some justify the terminology because its organised by women, however if it was run by men and used that terminology?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

…when she gets home and will report back on the results…

No, I don’t think you’ll manage that.

wl
    Free Member

Aside from whether or not it actually works as humour (it’s actually a very lame and unoriginal attempt) and whether or not it puts off entrants, there’s just the small issue of the wider social and cultural context and how it references women in terms of sex. The majority of women I know (mostly non-bikers and in their 30’s and upwards) would be gutted about this, and they’d argue that referencing women in terms of sex is something they’ve either actively fought – or at least been pissed off about – for many years. That’s because they’ve suffered as a result of it – in their personal or professional lives, or both. Marketing like this just perpetuates a sexist culture, whoever’s behind that marketing. You either get this or you don’t. Harmless fun? That might have been the intent, but it’s not the reality.

scottfitz
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

It’s subsidised IIRC.

I wonder if a sponsors or some sort of sporting body?

Rorschach
    Free Member

TBF regardless of category names ,if you’re doing an Enduro everybody assumes you’re a bit of a ****** to start with 😉

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m not offended as such but I think it’s cheesy rubbish. I’d much rather just see age and/or level of experience sub-categories and for it to be treated as a usual occurrence like any other open race is- why make a ‘thing’ out of it being a women-only event?

kennyp
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve been offended and outraged by something I read on the internet since at least yesterday. Anyone know what we’re supposed to be getting pretend angry about tomorrow?

tpbiker
    Free Member

As long as there were podium girls awarding the prizes I’m ok with it..

chakaping
    Free Member

I wonder if a sponsors or some sort of sporting body?

May be mis-remembering, but I think Tweedlove run it as a loss-leader kind of thing.

I know the HopeTech one at Gisburn in October was being subsidised by Hope.

Categories appear to be standard juniors/seniors/masters/vets on that one – and almost 100 entries already, so there you go!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey multiple cougars!!

Odd headline OP since they didn’t call anyone whores. Still posting the real categories/context wouldn’t have been as much fun.

Not the smartest, but the snow must be starting early this year.

aracer
    Free Member

Eh? The real category is “Enduro Whores”. Presumably if I call you a pretentious troll I’m not actually calling you a troll? 😉

wwaswas

THM- the results page gives the category as ‘Whore Women’ – good enough for you?

https://www.rootsandrain.com/race4479/2016-jul-23-air-maiden-maidenduro-innerleithen/results/

kayla1
    Free Member

Someone posted on FB that they’re just ‘weary’ of it. That kind of sums it up for me- “Really? That’s the best you could come up with? Really? Nothing a bit less shit sprang to mind at all? FFS…”

It’s just so much ‘meh’.

Bez

Not the smartest

Is this a callback to the phrase “self-aware”? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Surprising that STW haven’t done something on this, I thought they’d have been all over it like a teenage lad on a stash of Maxxis calendars.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok results page is bad, granted

Didn’t bother to go that far tbh.

Aracer, no you would simply mixing up your grammar – nice attempt though, most wouldn’t spot your error. But I am a bit of a grammar whore….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Really? That’s the best you could come up with? Really?

Endurhoes?

matt_outandabout

Slapperduro?

Bez

not you would simply mixing up your grammar

I am a bit of a grammar whore….

As in you’ve completely f***ed it? 😉

wwaswas

Endurhoes?

they could all wear the same fancy dress and call it Henduro racing.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘Female riders – would you enter an event that categorised you as a 'whore'?’ is closed to new replies.