Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 286 total)
  • Female riders – would you enter an event that categorised you as a 'whore'?
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Faster Pussycats?

Bez

Endurhoes? Slapperduro?

Surely “pro” would suffice? 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

But I am a bit of a grammar whore….

Weren’t you in the papers with Wayne Rooney?

legend
    Free Member

*reported*

matt_outandabout

*reported*

*Reported.*

rs
    Free Member

Do the entrants get a 20s head start if they ride a cove bike with a funny name?

aracer
    Free Member

Because one qualifier is a noun and one an adjective? Yes I did notice that, but it doesn’t change the point – and your noun combination doesn’t have the same implication as the noun combination in the category name. If I called you a forum troll does that mean I’m not calling you a troll?

I think we might have actually hit on something here though. Is the difference in opinion down to different interpretation of the affect of the “enduro” qualifier? For example there’s a difference between calling somebody a village whore and calling somebody a grammar whore…

chakaping
    Free Member

if they ride a cove bike with a funny name?

*pushes buzzer*

There are no Cove bikes with funny names.

Bez

Is the difference in opinion down to different interpretation of the affect of the “enduro” qualifier?

Affect/effect obvs 😉

Thing is, there’s arguably no difference. If I employ someone—of any gender—to whom I can dictate letters, calling them my “typing bitch” would be heavily rooted in male dominance, just as being an “attention whore” is rooted in female prostitution (which can be argued as male dominance again). These terms are derogative in connotation to varying degrees and as such I don’t think they can be said to be divorced from the misogyny from which they came. Of course that doesn’t mean people can’t try to take them back and use them in a context of empowerment. (Though in the specific case of “whore” I wonder how much female empowerment it’s actually able to provide.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

tpbiker – Member
    As long as there were podium Men wearing speedos awarding the prizes I’m ok with it..

FIFY’s

MrsToast
    Free Member

I can see that they were going for an edgy comedy angle, but I think if you’re wanting to attract more women into racing, alienating the ones that don’t go a bundle on being in categories named after terms that define women according to their sexuality is a great idea. Especially when one of them is ‘whore’.

I like a lot of offensive humour, but I think there’s a time and a place, and I have to admit those categories make me a bit uncomfortable.

cinnamon_girl

Well said kayla!

aracer
    Free Member

😛 I hate those words, as I have to spend far too much time working out which one is the right one to use – though in this case I’m going to claim it’s a typo as the mistake is obvious 😥

wl
    Free Member

Claiming there’s no issue here, or that people are just whinging and being PC for the sake of it, is basically a very Trumpian kind of response: one built either on genuine ignorance of the wider issue, or a conscious and self-serving denial of it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Aracer – it does but it doesn’t matter. Glad you spotted your contraction though.

It reminds me (tangentially) of the JT case. IIRC he called Ferdinand a “BC”. In that context it was the qualifier/adjective B that was the issue (correctly) rather than the noun C. And yet the offensive part could be published but the word that was deemed relatively inoffensive could not be printed or said. And yet had JT called him a C alone, nothing would have happened. Funny old game…

thomthumb
    Free Member

Why not simply:
    Let the ladies manage the event how they like.

This isn’t an event in isolation – it’s within the context of a a sport that clearly has some gender issues.

hence the confusion & discussion.

legend
    Free Member

wl – Member
    Claiming there’s no issue here, or that people are just whinging and being PC for the sake of it, is basically a very Trumpian kind of response: one built either on genuine ignorance of the wider issue, or a conscious and self-serving denial of it.

Nah it’s built on years and years of STW hand-wringing

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Weren’t you in the papers with Wayne Rooney?

Your are a legend PP!! 😀

vickypea
    Free Member

I agree with kayla and mrs toast.

I wouldn’t enter that event. I’m not offended but I am uncomfortable with the “humour” if that’s what it’s supposed to be. I don’t find it ironic or cool or feminist. It’s a bit creepy, as well as stupid.

Bunnyhop

In answer to the OPs question, the answer is NO.

Sandwich

Just as an exercise how would our female contingent react if the organisers were lesbians? Would that put a different slant on the categories?

CG gluten free can be good but maybe not!

Bez

Just as an exercise how would our female contingent react if the organisers were lesbians?

The relevance of that exciting new trajectory of discussion being…?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The relevance of that exciting new trajectory of discussion being…?

….an opportunity to think of a snappy name for the race which rhymes “Bikes” with a derogatory term for gay women?

I got nothing.

giantalkali
    Free Member

All sounds a bit cheap and nasty to me. Who willingly wants to be labelled ‘Whore’ simply to define their age group, regardless of their sexual status. Maybe the under 16s Should be labelled ‘Glitter’.

kennyp
    Free Member

There is another possibility that you’ve overlooked of course.

kiwiem
    Free Member

Hell no.

Firstly it makes me uncomfortable, and secondly this seems childish and like one mighty step backwards in more positive recognition for female riders.

Diane
    Free Member

It’s irony/ a joke between women – get over it

Northwind and Rickon have it about right

Sandwich

Apologies all there were chores to do. To explain more fully.

When heterosexual men refer to whores this is generally deemed to be derogatory, outwith taking the piss between very good friends.

If a homosexual woman takes the same approach is this also derogatory? I’m unable to answer this as I’m the wrong sex, hence my question.

My apologies Bez that my idle curiosity was below your expectations.

Edit; I have little or no conscious social experience with the homosexual side of society. I may have friend who are homosexual but I neither know nor care if they are.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

My sister found it funny but crude

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Didn’t we have this exact discussion last year too?

Imo, organised by women, for women, they can call the categories whatever they want. Just a bit of fun.

taxi25
    Free Member

Well Mrs and Miss taxi found it a bit amusing in a slight smile sort of way, but not the least offended but they are a pretty bawdy pair of women. But they did find some of the comments on this thread absolutely hysterical 😆 I’m not sure they even knew people such as some posters on here even existed !!

rmacattack
    Free Member

male category version:

limp wrist

virgin

your mate dan

hugh hefner

Torminalis
    Free Member

Mens:

Babies
    Virgins
    Stalkers
    Dirty Old Men

cookeaa

Well my wife wasn’t impressed with my little experiment, turns out I was right and calling women whores hasn’t suddenly become socially acceptable…

Anyway by way of an explanation I pointed her at this thread and the enduro maiden entry page. Once her disbelief had died down she asked a simple question…

Couldn’t they just have gone with “wench” instead of “whore”?

TBH she’s got a point…
    But then she is married to a PC, handwringer, so we should probably ignore it… 😉

jamj1974

Kayla, Mrs Toast and WL +1.

It’s not funny or “cool”. It’s crass.

It’s a bit like having a male only event where the categories were ‘Bald Bollocks’, ‘Chronic Masturbators’ ‘Sexual Prime’ and ‘Floppy Dicks’.

It’s plain dumb.

batfink
    Free Member

I’m not offended – How could I be? I didn’t enter they event, and I’m not a woman.

However, this does seem regressive: the organizers are literally defining competitors (in a women-only event) in sexual terms.

Would it be sexist if they did it an a men’s event? Surely, the point is that they don’t do that?

Granted, it’s not super-overt 1970s sexism, but small things like this (and the objectification of women as “podium girls”, or draped over sports cars/bike tyres in bikinis) have a cumulative effect in society and so do matter.

I have some time for the rationale that it’s a group of women taking ownership of a derogatory term…. but really I just think that it’s somebody (who’s a bit tone-deaf) trying to be funny/edgy.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Seems fine. Go find something else to froth and handwring over.

atlaz
    Free Member

As I said before, it seems some women DO find it at least purile/irritating and some find it offensive. Perhaps they’re all frothing handwringers too but it does seem daft to alienate possible entrants in what is an undersubscribed section of our sport.

Metasequoia

I think it’s regressive to sexualise the age catogories in this way especially as it seems to be a successful and influential event in the mountain biking world.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that you can no longer say no dogs, no blacks, no irish – is that what upsets you ?

I look forward to you addressing all females as whores seeing as its “fine”

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘Female riders – would you enter an event that categorised you as a 'whore'?’ is closed to new replies.