Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 286 total)
  • Female riders – would you enter an event that categorised you as a 'whore'?
  • wwaswas

Seems a bit weird to me.

Oh, and if you’re over 30 you’re a Cougar, less than 3 races a Virgin and 16-21 a Baby.

https://airmaiden.com/products/enduro-maiden

(via @off_roadcc)

matt_outandabout

😯

nedrapier

That’s nasty.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So much rongness.

tonyja
    Free Member

Guessing this is guys making money out of womens events and using scumbag marketing to do it.

daver27
    Free Member

Wow. i’m not the most politically correct person, but even for me, thats a massive balls up! I hope no one enters just off the back of that.

GregMay
    Free Member

Wow. No, just no.

Harry_the_Spider

hmmm.

km79
    Free Member

They will be dirty whores by the end of the race.

Mowgli
    Free Member

😯

Hells

What the……..!!

aracer
    Free Member

I’m guessing you didn’t bother checking
    https://airmaiden.com/pages/about-us

It makes me feel uncomfortable, but I guess we’re all guys commenting so far, and maybe in an all female environment they’re happy using such terms ironically.

matt_outandabout

More worryingly, such an organisation expects to be a role model for future generations.
    https://airmaiden.com/pages/mini-maidens

legend
    Free Member

tonyja – Member
    Guessing this is guys making money out of womens events and using scumbag marketing to do it.

Not unless the organisers have recently changed

EDIT: looks like a thread for the easily offended. “Enduro Whore” is hardly calling someone a slut 🙄

vinnyeh

Results are up…

wwaswas

I guess we’re all guys commenting so far

you sure?

toby1

Looks like it’s managed and setup by women, surely they should be able to decide if they find it offensive or not?

thenorthwind

First reaction is 😯

But it seems to have been organised by a woman (who, though I’ve never heard of, seems to have some considerable biking pedigree and certainly more balls than me), and I wonder if it’s one of those “taking back ownership” things, like black people calling themselves the N-word so it’s no longer offensive (apparently).

wwaswas

Looks like it’s managed and setup by women, surely they should be able to decide if they find it offensive or not?

hence me posting it as a question.

I just wondered if they’d get more entries with a less, errm, challenging category structure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From what I remember these are women events run by women.

plyphon
    Free Member

I mean…

It’s not quite calling women a “whore” is it –

It’s “Enduro whore” as the whole phrase. A whore for enduro, if you will.

Not a whore for dicks.

That said, it’s pretty immature at all levels. But maybe that’s what the world needs?

Full disclosure: I am a man.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m baffled

Why did ebikes not get an offensive category name?

Personally I’m less than impressed with naming categories like that and i do find it a bit off, might be fine with your mates but imo not for anything more than that, taking back or otherwise. I’m not however the target market.

chiefgrooveguru

Maybe it works better in Scottish?

matt_outandabout

Maybe it works better in Scottish?

Nope, still divisive and disappointing according to an office full of Scots and English, 50:50 men and women…

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Don’t be so silly, what it needs is 10 pages of other people being offended on their behalf 😆

Bez

Being alongside an extensive mission statement about inspiring girls from the age of eight, it just makes me wonder how the family conversations go:

“The racing’s about to start, mummy, what category are you in?”
    “I’m in the whores category, honey.”
    “What’s a wh—”
    “GOSH IS THAT THE TIME I MUST GO AND SIGN IN.”

And has Eddie signed off on the branding? 😉

matt_outandabout

It’s “Enduro whore” as the whole phrase. A whore for enduro, if you will.

Not a whore for dicks.

Yes, but you also have the sexualised virgins and cougars…

shifter
    Free Member

E-bike? Lazy bitch.

aP
    Free Member

Well – if nothing else its driven 20 overweight middle-aged men to pore over the event website, and provided valuable publicity and sponsorship opportunities to Lynne Aitchison (Armstrong). [Who may also wish to employ a proof reader]

wwaswas

overweight middle-aged men

Pick 2.

bigjim

It’s run and organised by very cool women I’ve had the pleasure of biking with, for very cool women.

But I applaud the middle aged male faux internet outrage. 2/10

Rorschach
    Free Member

Frontbum is the preferred nomenclature I believe.

legend
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Nope, still divisive and disappointing according to an office full of Scots and English, 50:50 men and women…

24 mins from question to office poll – ffs.

Yes, but you also have the sexualised virgins and cougars…

This is the most offended thread I’ve seen in ages 😆

matt_outandabout

24 mins from question to office poll – ffs.

There are only 6 of us. And four ride bikes.

bigjim

And nearly one page without male egos being dented enough to express outrage over a female only event? Come on stw, standards are falling!

5thElefant
    Free Member

So we’re all agreed. Women aren’t allowed a sense of humor. 😆

Top marks for triggering the fat middle aged hand wringers.

scottfitz
    Free Member

odd marketing but I’m not offended, as I would also class myself as an enduro whore.

Bez

But I applaud the middle aged male faux internet outrage.

Is it outrage, or is it people trying to understand others’ views on when it is and isn’t ok to refer to women as whores? I think there’s a general acknowledgement here (from the very title of the thread onwards) that, as men, most of us aren’t entitled to set the agenda on this. But there are more nuances to the use of arguably derogatory and/or sexualised terms than simply “it’s always fine if a woman does it and always wrong if a man does it”.

But clearly, it’s the social media norm to denounce any discussion as “outrage”, so crack on, it saves trying to understand stuff.

legend
    Free Member

Bez – Member
    Is it outrage

outrage/frothing/hand-wringing you can call it whatever offends you least

or is it people trying to understand others’ views on when it is and isn’t ok to refer to women as whores?

Would you be terribly upset if you were referred to as a bike-whore?

wwaswas

I was trying to think of male equivalents for the categories when I did the OP – terms that might be seen as insults if used about men but could also be argued as ‘appropriating an insult and making it a strength’ and I couldn’t really. I think this is what interests me – clearly it worked as an event but does the categories attract or dissuade women from entering it. Or does it matter not one bit?

I deliberately tried to phrase it as a question without getting all WE MST STOP THIS NOW and I think that’s how most posters have taken it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘Female riders – would you enter an event that categorised you as a 'whore'?’ is closed to new replies.