Home Forums Bike Forum DT350 vs the rebranded DT? hub in a roval wheel

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • DT350 vs the rebranded DT? hub in a roval wheel
  • sideshow
    Free Member

I gather some of the roval traverse wheels have rebranded DT hubs, but not sure if that goes for the OEM traverse wheel for my spesh enduro 2015, or just the aftermarket ones.

Either way the hub on this wheel has been awful and is easily the weak point of the whole bike. Bearings have gone several times even though I only ride this thing in the dry. Freehub bearings exploded once. Meanwhile hope hub on my hardtail sees all the winter slop on far fewer bearing changes.

It’ll be time for a new wheel soon, hooray. How would a DT 350 hub compare to the stock one, whatever it is? Is there any chance that my stock hub *is* a rebranded 350 and I just don’t get on with them – so should get a hope instead? (not that I like noisy bikes)

martinhutch

I’d be surprised if any genuine DT Swiss hub behaved the way you describe, let alone a DT350.

If it’s a 650b wheelset, have a look at these (posted on the Sports Pursuit PSA thread). Tough rim, DT Swiss 350 internals, for little more than the price of the hubs in isolation.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/equipment/wheels
    https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1751514?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MzUwNSwicGFnZSI6MSwicGFnZVNpemUiOjI0LCJwb3MiOjF9

sideshow
    Free Member

It’s for a 29er, but cheers

jimdubleyou

I have 350s on my gravel bike – haven’t exhibited any of the issues you list after a couple of 1000kms. Don’t think I’ve even stripped them down yet.

andybrad

if its anything like mine i think they are formula? not sure tho

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You will know if they are DT Swiss inners in Specialized hub shells, as it says DT Swiss on the graphics in the centre.

joemmo
    Free Member

does it have the DT star ratchet freehub or conventional pawls? 350s will have the former. FWIW I’ve been impressed with mine, 2 years with no maintenance and running smooth. Equally happy with the Hopes, noisier FH but well supported with spares that are a bit less expensive than DT parts.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/how-to-videos/
    might help identify the hub ^

sideshow
    Free Member

No DT logo, just one of these https://images.app.goo.gl/adBdeZVmNRLvhKYV6

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They arn’t DT’s, they are the basic Specialized HiLo hubs.

joemmo
    Free Member

yup, DT hubs all have a cylindrical centre section rather than a ‘waisted’ shape.

andybrad

same as mine

have you got lock nuts on the ends?

sideshow
    Free Member

Andy Yeah I think so

Sounds like that’s settled then – my current hub isn’t DT, and DT350 might be cheaper quieter and just as reliable as a hope – yay :)

panzerjager
    Free Member

My Rovals have the DT hub internals, including the ring drive & they’ve been absolutely bombproof for 3+ years with no maintenance.
    As said previously, only the top Roval wheelsets get the DT Swiss hubs so I suspect yours weren’t.
    I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the DT Swiss ones for a future build or to replace the HiLo hubs.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Worth checking, as some of the Roval/DT wheelsets don’t actually come with the 350 internals (star ratchet). Some of the mid range bikes came with the same Roval hub shells, but they had 370 internals (cheaper, pawl style hub & heavier).

Easy enough to tell, just pull the freehub off to have a look for the rings :)

andybrad

IF YOU FIND THE 350’S CHEAP LET ME KNOW

crotchrocket
    Free Member

do you need boost or non-boost? I was about to pop a pair of non-boost 240s (with 27.5 EX471 rims) on eBay.

Northwind

Roval’s a totally confusing fiasco tbh, you can’t get parts for some of them and sometimes even specialized don’t know what’s inside them.

escrs
    Free Member

Had DT Swiss 350 hubs on my Transition Patrol and had a 2017 Levo Expert which came with the Specialized Roval Traverse hubs which are meant to have DT Swiss internals

The Patrol’s DT Swiss 350 hubs had the star ratchet system, the Roval Traverse hubs used the spring and pawls of the cheaper DT Swiss hubs, they do not use DT Swiss 350 internals

bowglie

The Roval Traverse wheels that came on my OH’s Spesh are described in the spec as DT Swiss based, but they’re the bottom of the range spring and three pawl.  I bought some top of the range Roval Traverse Carbon and they had the 350 based rear hub with ratchet.  Both sets had 3 years use with no problems – certainly lasted longer than previous 2 sets of Spesh HiLo hubs, which were c**p!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Your hub looks like a formula hub as found on many mid range bikes sadly.

tomaso
    Free Member

It is a Formula low end hub found in budget wheels on Specialized and Giant bikes and many more. They are pants and do all the things you describe.
    My DT350 hub is more reliable in Lakes wet slop and rock than my old Hope rear hub ever was.

joebristol

Just to add I have an e1900 Dt Swiss wheelset that came on my Bird – I think it has a 370 hub on it – it’s got pawls not the star ratchet. 2 years in with no maintenance and it still seems to be running perfectly. Obv not as good as a 350/240 but more reliable than a formula hub.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘DT350 vs the rebranded DT? hub in a roval wheel’ is closed to new replies.