• This topic has 85 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Ciiiiiiiiiider… What's your tipple?
  • mboy
    Free Member

So erm… 15 years of being T total came to an end recently, realising there is actually (in my opinion) some alcohol I like drinking in moderation. I always hated getting drunk and out of control, and hated pretty much everything except the odd Cider.

Sat drinking a Thatcher’s “Cox’s” Single Variety right now, very nice it is too. Have tried pretty much all the usual suspects (all the Thatchers range, Stowfords, Stella Cidre, Strongbow) and some of the less well known so far over the last few weeks. What I have learnt so far is that I tend to prefer a medium to a dry cider (but not sweet), and to some extent the stronger it is (Henry Weston’s Vintage, Aspall’s) the better it tastes!

What else to try? Short of going down to the local scrumpy house that is… Looking for something I’m likely to find in my local Supermarket or Bargain Booze, that will tickle my tastebuds nicely!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Mulled cider. It taste’s like Strudel.

All other cider is a nasty alternative to beer. Scrumpy….*shudders*…..bad times

Now I’ve remembered Beesting….and I’m about to puke.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Currently holding a bottle of Wild Wood Classic Cider – not my usual tipple but very refreshing and surprisingly relaxing!

mboy
    Free Member

All other cider is a nasty alternative to beer.

Wouldn’t drink beer, of any sorts, if you paid me mate! Different strokes for different folks of course, but I like apples rather than hops…

Currently holding a bottle of Wild Wood Classic Cider

Hmmm… A Weston’s Cider I’ve not yet tried, will have to go get some soon!

Stoner
    Free Member

mboy – youre localish to me, so somewhere in your locals you should be able to get hold of some Robinsons Flagon cider.

Ive been brought up on Stofords from the teet, but That flagon is excellent – nice balance of flavour, sweet & dry.

TBH I drink quite a bit. Im rarely ashamed of that. Pubs are the heart of the places I live, its where I meet new friends and leanr a lot of new stuff. I respect teetotalism, but it grates when teetotallers start a phrase with a line that (probably unintentially) belittles those who like to drink in moderation as part of their social life.

I have some of my own brew cider and perry in the shed, and am going to have a crack at beer soon.

I highly recommend a visit to Stofords (westons) if you get the chance, fascinating stuff, especially the naming of the casks! 🙂

bwaarp
    Free Member

You’re right, I think I’ve just drank myself to oblivion one to many times on cider.

tomhoward

Westons oak matured medium sweet cider is as close to perfection as it’s possible to get without tearing a hole in the space time continueum. If it weren’t for the potential liver failure it would be the only thing I’d drink.

walla24
    Free Member

I love cider (Henry Weston Vintage Reserve….yum), but have recently found a love for proper alcoholic ginger beer 😀

DrP

For barn door Tesco type, can’t beat the Stella Cidre…

DrP

renton
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Flagon here, I’ve only found it in one pub local to me in Droitwich but it tastes good enough to keep going back 🙂

rhbrhb
    Free Member

For big brands, Westons all.the way.

For smaller, slightly different, try Crones “User Friendly”.

TooTall
    Free Member

Black Rat – Costco were doing it cheap as well
    Black Fox by Dunkertons I think
    Henney’s do some nice stuff – esp their dry cider

Westons Wild Wood is their organic cider re-branded.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Dunkertons use to make Rum Perry that was quite a little rib tickler.
    Westons Perry also interesting.

PrinceJohn

For barn door Tesco type, can’t beat the Stella Cidre…

I find all stella products taste chemically – & give monstrous hangovers, even after 2-3..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I do like the claen crisp taste of Aspall, but it does make one fall over frighteningly quickly!

I am lucky enough, though, to have this nice shop local to me!

http://www.theessexcidershop.co.uk/1_2_Products.html

Edric64
    Free Member

Thatchers Cheddar Valley ,real cider not like that poncy stuff from Stella

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That Stella stuff really is pretty rank. For the same effect you may as well stuff a handfull of Haribo in your mouth and wash it down with a slug of vodka

Stoner
    Free Member

A summer favourite is a pint glass, loaded with ice, a bottle of fiery ginger beer and half a pint of the strongest cloudiest scrumpy you can find. A real thirst quencher. I was introduced to it as “Steady Bonkers” by a former forumista for which Im ever grateful!

here’s some of the vats at Westons:

some of the vat names are great including:
    Cosy Corner
    Wembley next to…
    …Hereford United (the closest Hereford United ever got to Wembley)
    Ironclad
    Wilfred
    Wallace,
    Grommet,
    Wendolene,
    Preston,
    and Shaun

to name a few. I have the whole list here 🙂

justatheory
    Free Member

Gwatkin, Yarlington Mill is good stuff. I order it by the box straight from their website from time to time, but it isn’t cheap.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ll like Aspalls. I had a lovely cider in the world beer bar in York-can’t remember what it was called. I’ve had the Robinson’s Flagon cider Stoner-i liked that too….I think that it was in a pub near to Ludlow?

TooTall
    Free Member

Gwatkins anything is good. Stella anything is bad.

Cheddar Valley is for mentalists. I just can’t get away with the stuff no matter how hard I try.

Old Bristolian is lovely and so is Janet’s Jungle Juice.

See here for inspiration:

http://www.bristolcidershop.co.uk/

boxfish
    Free Member

Henneys Dry, Aspalls Dry, Malvern Oak, Cornish Orchards Gold, Gwynt y Ddraig Black Dragon to name but a few

Stoner
    Free Member

Malvern Oak

Knights Cider Mill is open at the weekend for sales to the public. You can get bottles of the oak or gold direct (also sold in waitrose, but not sure how far a field as Knights is only a very small producer). But for proper gum cleaning, get a flagon of cider straight from the tap in the wall. 😯

dropoff

If you’re ever out near Mark Moor then Rich’s is worth a visit,makes Cheddar Valley taste like battery acid 🙂 and you can mix your own flavour

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Another vote for Henney’s (dry), Westons (Vintage) and Aspall (Premier Cru)…with the clean crisp taste of the Premier Cru edging it more often than not.

Those of you who enjoy the Aspall but prefer something a little less strong, they do a medium-dry bottled ‘draught’ cider at around 5% which is very nice…fruitier than the Cru, though not as widely available.

stumpy01

Aspall’s is my current favourite.
    That bottle above ^ you can get in my local Tesco. And very nice it is too.

howellj1
    Free Member

Lilly’s Cider Barn I can recommend; good delivery service of bottled cider and will also sell draught cider – which in my opinion is the best, but doesn’t last long!

http://www.lilleysciderbarn.com/

Moses

Ashton Press is pretty good on draught, as is Bath Ales’ Bounder. I tend to stick to cider in pubs – Aspalls and Stowford Press are also acceptable. Blackthorn isn’t.

Whatever happened to Woodpecker? It was the heart of my under-age drinking in the late 60s.

mark90
    Free Member

I like Rekorderlig, but probably not to the OP’s taste, as they are on the sweeter side.

http://www.rekorderlig.com/uk/

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mboy – I am a big fan of French cider primarily from Normandy and Brittany, generally less sweet. Often drunk from small earthenware cups and served with Gallettes (savory crepe’s). Varying strengths but generally less strong than UK equivalent.

Waitrose do a Vintage French as well as a decent range of other ciders. Sainsbury’s used to do a really good one, not sure if they still do.

binners

scaled
    Free Member

Seriously?

get a grip lads!

Oh and the other rugby club favourite, Black Rat 😀

Has to be purchased in poly bottles to taste right

binners

Addlestones makes you keel over sideways, very, very quickly

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

If you are ever near Pershore, you’ve got to try the Monkey House at Defford

The Monkey House

boxfish
    Free Member

Ah, Addlestones. Whilst not particularly strong at around 5%, there is definitely a secret falling-over ingredient in there somewhere.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Weston’s Reserve @ 8.2% is sublime.

Aspall’s is also very good.

Cheddar Valley – is that the luminous orange one?

Stoner
    Free Member

graham – I think the monkey house has pretty much closed down now has it not? I go past it twice a week and not seen any cars there for a few years now. I’d heard that the landlady has finally retired and it’s her home.

skiprat
    Free Member

Cornish Rattler…soooooooooooo nice ice cold on a sunny day. Very easy drinking. Have a sister that lives local so when she comes up to see us she put a good few bottles in the car.

http://www.thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/prodcyder.htm

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Been dribbling whilst reading this thread…

I like cider 😆

Not sure I could pin point a favourite, I like many!

There is one made in the Quantocks, that tastes much better when you pop a large gin in the pint 😯 a tip learnt from a 18 year old barmaid!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Ciiiiiiiiiider… What's your tipple?’ is closed to new replies.