• This topic has 85 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Ciiiiiiiiiider… What's your tipple?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Anything by Thatchers; the bottled single varieties you get in the shops are very clean. Cheddar Valley is perhaps a tad too orange but it’s tasty!

Wilkins of Mudgely… giggle… nuff said.

Addlestones is probably the best that Gaymers are making at the moment, if you like industrial cider.

scaled
    Free Member

IF you live in Bristol you can always go down to the westons farm shop and try/buy cider by the gallon, win 😀

40mpg

I was in Cheddar in the summer and came across Willikins cider – just a local press available in a handful of pubs. Still, a tiny bit cloudy, medium dry, and with an effect like Cheddar Valley.

Twas a fun evening!

Just found this on the internets, a man after my own heart!

Edit – Wilkins Cider Farm

boxfish
    Free Member
    rudebwoy
    Free Member

Dunkertons —

messiah
    Free Member

These are pleasant.

Thistly Cross Scottish Cider

Nick

There is one made in the Quantocks

I drank a pint of something in the Blue Ball pub that was unlike anything else I had ever tried, burning feeling at back of throat, trouble focussing etc Turns out the bloke sat next to me made it, can’t remember what it was called, he couldn’t remember how strong it was, around 9% at a guess.

Mmmmmmm 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

http://www.camrabristol.org.uk/news7.html
    🙁
    I knew Michelle for many years.
    This was the bestest off license in all of Brizzle. She had 2 and sometimes 3 massive rottweilers and as a result the shop smelt of cider and dog. All local ales and cider on tap and in bottles. People came from all over the city. Massive loss IMHO.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Green Goblin – Originally Wychwood’s now Thatchers.

Hogans the local drop from a mile or so up the road ,Also do a perry

Waitrose own is very nice too .. Again also do an awesome perry ,strong stuff too.

And already mentioned Gwatkins. my fave being a perry

Damn i’m feeling thirsty now …

Stoner
    Free Member

spectabilis if Hogans is just Up the road from you, where do you live? I’m in welland.

I’m sure Westons make waitrose cider.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, just seen you’re in warks which means there are two Hogans 🙂

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

the “real” bulmers as brewed in clonmel.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Stoner,
    yes im talking about Hogan’s
    incidentally when speaking to Mr Hogan he suggested that Westons made the waitrose stuff …

TooTall
    Free Member

This was the bestest off license in all of Brizzle

Very sad day when she passed away. Gutted the family don’t want to keep it going.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Went to an Asturias cider festival in June, definately similar to the scrumpy I had as a “yuff”. very tasty.

mrblobby
    Free Member

For supermarket cider I do like the aspalls premier cru.

A local pub also does Old Rosie that I’m occasionally tempted by. If you want a rapid route to lying in the street a dribbling mess then it’s definitely the way to go!

Have been put off my cider a little recently after a friend of mine who’s a heavy cider drinker told me about his visit to the dentist 😐

Candodavid
    Free Member
    spectabilis
    Free Member

Just cracked this open…

Not bad at all if a little dry for my tastes

hoodie
    Free Member

Cider Bar, Newton Abbot. I don’t care how much you think you can drink, it will make you fall over and probably puke. It’s great !

renton
    Free Member

There is another pub in Droitwich that sells Thatchers Gold with slush puppy ice in it !!! surprisingly refreshing after a ride !

mboy
    Free Member

If you are ever near Pershore, you’ve got to try the Monkey House at Defford

Properly made me laugh that!

I grew up in Pershore, and when I was a kid spent many a Friday or Saturday evening taxiing my mates back from the Monkey House… Still not sure even now I’d be brave enough to try it!

stoner, where do you drink normally? Was in the Nag’s last Thursday night, might have had more than my fair share of Thatcher’s that night! 😳

Not bad at all if a little dry for my tastes

Sadly for a boy from Worcester, I can’t abide the Pear! 😕 Apples all the way for me…

Another vote for Henney’s (dry), Westons (Vintage) and Aspall (Premier Cru)…with the clean crisp taste of the Premier Cru edging it more often than not.

Will check the others out, but so far, the Weston’s Vintage is definitely my tipple of choice. Quite liking the Thatcher’s single variety’s for a slightly less strong choice though. Had 2 pints of the Cox’s single variety last night, very sharp taste, good for a pint or two but not so sure for after that.

mboy
    Free Member

There is another pub in Droitwich that sells Thatchers Gold with slush puppy ice in it !!! surprisingly refreshing after a ride !

Which pub’s that Renton?

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Hey Stoner, still opens a few days a week, def sundays, Mrs C is winding down to retirement.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

As its a school night and normally a riding night, and I’m not riding, I am enjoying a nice big bottle of Morrison’s med / dry.
    Tastes like stoford press…. but its 5.3% compared to stofords 4.5%….

Its cheap as chips too! £1.26 a litre :-).

I’m a happy cider drinker 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

aha – still ticking over then graham. I must try and drop in with my bro (eckington) one night at the weekend.

mboy – I used to live a few hundred yards from the Nags. Its a Tough life 😉

But now my local is the Plume of Feathers on castlemorton common from whence I have just returned after a post-plumbing skool pint. Although I can be found in any one of 10 local pubs depending on the day and the weather 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW – mboy, pershore was my haunt as a young’un. Used to go to my mates farm at Besford from Elmley on my scooter and then he and I would drive back to the Plough in his tractor 🙂

Fell through the back window of the angel one new years eve too 😳

mboy
    Free Member

As its a school night and normally a riding night, and I’m not riding, I am enjoying a nice big bottle of Morrison’s med / dry.
    Tastes like stoford press…. but its 5.3% compared to stofords 4.5%….

Its cheap as chips too! £1.26 a litre :-).

I’m a happy cider drinker

I like your maths! I shall have to investigate…

mboy – I used to live a few hundred yards from the Nags. Its a Tough life

Forget the beers and ciders on tap in there. Have you tried their special Scotch Eggs? WOW! Quite simply the BEST PUB SNACK EVER!

aha – still ticking over then graham. I must try and drop in with my bro (eckington) one night at the weekend.

It ain’t half a small world eh! My Dad lives in Eckington, just by the railway bridge!

Although I can be found in any one of 10 local pubs depending on the day and the weather

Good call! All post bike ride of course? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

those scotch eggs must be new. are they http://www.handmadescotcheggs.co.uk/ ?

As it happens the coppice I work is opposite them at Bishops Frome. They have a shop on the shambles in Worcester as well as at Clives Fruit Farm in Upton.

Bets scotch eggs in the world. And a great company too.

mboy
    Free Member

I think they are stoner, certainly the Chilli one I had the other day was bloody lovely (and sounds just like the ones from the website you linked to)…

wrecker
    Free Member

Very sad day when she passed away. Gutted the family don’t want to keep it going.

Me too. I grew up around the corner from there. It’s where I used to buy my rizla!

Edric64
    Free Member

Round here there is the Wilkins diet an afternoon at the farm and you lose 5 days

Edric64
    Free Member

Cheddar Valley is perhaps a tad too orange but it’s tasty!

Its the beetroot they colour it with that makes it look like that .They used to grow it where the cycle path crosses their land before they planted an orchard

whytetrash

Three pages in and nobody has mentioned this stuff http://www.gwyntcider.com/gyd/

Orchard Gold is gorgeous…Firey Fox is like freshly squeezed apple juice… but makes your legs stop working…. especially good when its a post ride guest pint at the Kinmel Arms also like Henneys and that Westons Organic does reduce hangovers… a :wink:bit

theotherjonv

inspired by this thread I stopped at the supermarket on the way home and picked up something from the cider aisle that wasn’t obviously a mass produced one, and purely by chance ended up with a bottle of Weston’s Oak Aged Vintage, which has been noted a couple of times above. Lovely.

However, just noticed it’s 8 and a bit % and because I’m such a lightweight / so out of practice, my head feels a bit wobbly now.

All good.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Westons Oak aged – two bottles and i start feeling happy

Thatchers vintage 2011 is nice as well

I tried a bottle of bulmers something or other about a month a go (yellow label on it) it was rank i couldn’t even drink it all

cozz
    Free Member

drinking henry westons 8.2% vintage 2 for £3 at co-op

made 30 litres of cider from apples at work last year, old varieties by all accounts, really nice, but sneaks up on you !

try tillington hills from co-op – not too fizzy, in a clear wine bottle type bottle – really nice, my fav

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmmmm… Lyne Down cider…

They used to do a cider that was matured in old whisky barrels; pure nectar!

Sadly, it’s no longer available as they can’t get hold of the barrels any more (all shipped off to the Far East, apparently).

Helios
    Free Member

Aspalls for me, on tap in my local. I love the way the colour changes throughout the year as the apples change.

I’ll second the secret falling-over ingredient in Addlestones. Many unhealthy evenings and even more unhealthy mornings from my yout’ can trace their origins to that particular tipple.

Westons Old Rosie is another brain melting favourite, and in fact was my weapon of choice alongside a nice full English at 9am on the day they brought on 24hr drinking… Happy times…

renton
    Free Member

Mboy,

sorry for the delay.

The pub is called the Hop Pole which is down by the fire station.

mboy
    Free Member

Resurrecting this thread for a minor update on my findings so far… Oh and yes Renton, think I’ve been in there, though years ago with my ex GF, and I wasn’t drinking back then.

Anyway… Currently sat drinking a Thatcher’s Rose for the first time. It may look like a gay pink wine, but it’s really rather tasty! Also been very partial to a Thatcher’s Katy on occasion, Weston’s Vintage and Weston’s Medium Dry, Black Fox is quite nice. But I think my 2 favourites so far are Weston’s Organic, and Aspall’s Organic. Either are bloody lovely!

Anyone for any more suggestions?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Ciiiiiiiiiider… What's your tipple?’ is closed to new replies.