Christmas Airfix!

Viewing 15 posts - 881 through 895 (of 895 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • JonEdwards

Bugger. Shows here fine.

Trying to link from Dropbox as Flickr isn’t playing ball any more. Any ideas how…? So far just right clicked on the image, properties, copied the link.

spursn17

Trying to link from Dropbox as Flickr isn’t playing ball any more. Any ideas how…?

I use Postimage, it’s not that great but it is reliable.

Imgur works for me

spursn17

Finally finished the P51D. It’s the first time I’ve done a mixed camo/natural metal finish and tried a different technique on it as regular washes wouldn’t work for both. To break up the flatness of the metal I weathered it with a few different grades of clear coat, it worked really well but doesn’t show up in the pics. One pain in the bum was that this aircraft had two rear view mirrors on it, I made these out of bits of clear sprue but it was hard to get them to sit at the same angle. Any criticism or comments are welcome, the next one is always better!

JonEdwards

Well Flickr are still a bunch of pox-ridden appendages, but hopefully I can now do some pics the old way…
    Mustang

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h1Jrff][/url]

Martlet
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2h1HDaD][/url]

CountZero

@JonEdwards – those are two lovely models, great weathering and paint. Well done sir! 👏🏻

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

^They are very good.

spursn17

@JonEdwards – those are two lovely models, great weathering and paint. Well done sir! 👏🏻

Agreed. Top job on the Martlet, especially the underside, and I wish I’d done a more colourful paint job on my P51 now 😭

nostrils

Wow good job spursn17 and JonEdwards! Is this thread going to get busier now that the nights are drawing in I wonder?

Subscriber

I think so. I’ve only completed one kit this year with two WIPs.

spursn17

I think so. I’ve only completed one kit this year with two WIPs.

The Mustang was the first kit I’ve started and finished within a year for a long while! Probably going to do a vehicle next, I’ve got a Bronco Stug III or a Russian SU85 that are contenders for the next build. Or it could be a Tiger, another Tiger, a Panther, a Wespe, a T72, an LRDG Chevy truck, a PzIII, or a Möbelwagon 😂

Premier Icon Trailrider Jim
    Subscriber

Jon, please tell us about paint techniques and materials used.

JonEdwards

Blimey, errm – thanks for all the compliments! We are not worthy etc…

First thing I’d say is that natural light, a decent camera and a wee bit of knowledge of how to use it, plus a copy of Lightroom can make things look a damn sight better than they are in the plastic!

Paints – Alclad primer and varnishes, Vallejo Model Air and Metal Colour. Wash with Flory Grime and Dark Dirt. The Martlet exhaust and gun stains are oil dot, the stuff on the Mustang an experiment with pastels, which seem a lot more controllable than the oil dot technique.

The Mustang was my first attempt at a naked metal finish and I’m not entirely happy with it as it’s quite orangepeely – think I sprayed at too high a pressure, but it’s all a learning experience, eh…? There’s all some quite shite masking round the tail end of the canopy.

Subscriber

Do you seal the pastel in under a top clear coat?

Viewing 15 posts - 881 through 895 (of 895 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.