Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,329 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Harry_the_Spider

I got 9 kits.

Model shop opens at 10:001m in the morning. I need to mount a glue and paint raid.

dannybgoode

Been really tempted to get back into models. Haven’t built one on about 25 years.

What you get?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve got about 6 waiting, cars and tanks mostly

All Japanese, have airfix caught up?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had a hard to find airfix Vulcan last year and got bored after completing the first stage which was the pilots and ejector seats. There was so much moulding flash and because I’m a perfectionist it took me hours of cutting and filing which soon got boring. I’m going to try and do stage 2 this Christmas.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Not Airfix-style but I received a Vintage Model Co SE5A balsa and tissue kit yesterday from my daughter. Thoroughly enjoying building it – quite therapeutic.

MoreCashThanDash

Nothing to do with Airfix, but I need to stealth boast that I got the Lego Caterham …. 8)

dannybgoode

Not Airfix-style but I received a Vintage Model Co SE5A balsa

Nice-any chance of a link?

matt_outandabout
    andysredmini
    Free Member

I got the Lego Porsche which I’m looking forward to building.
    Need to wait until the kids are in bed or half of it will be lost or swallowed.

dannybgoode

Thank you. You need a crafty edit on that link to remove the u on the end of the url.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

airfix Vulcan

I made this kit as a teenager. One of the wings is a poor fit to the fuselage. Very frustrating. I hope you have the wet and dry paper and Milliput ready.

binners

The shop that I get my arty stuff from sells airfix models. I keep looking noticing the B-17 in particular.

Which ones did you get then Harry?

Harry_the_Spider

Hawker Hurricane MK1
    Focke Wulf FW190
    Douglas SBD 3/5 Dauntless
    Hawker Typhoon 1B
    F51D Mustang
    MK5b Spitfire
    Mk19 Spitfire
    De Havilland Vampire
    and a Higgins landing craft

binners

A fine selection there! I think that at some point I’ve made all of them, bar the landing craft

That”ll keep you out of mischief for a while! 🙂

Might go and get that B-17 tomorrow

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

F-4 Corsair, very thempted but couldn’t do it justice.
    Hardcore aeroplane, one shot down a jet in Korea and another pilot had his guns freeze at high altitude so he used the huge prop to slice off the tail plane of the Japanese plane before getting home with 5 inches missing off the propeller tips!

slowoldman

The last kit I built was a Tamiya 1/12th scale Lotus 49. That was some time ago.

parkesie
    Free Member

I’ve got the enterprise 🙂 can’t wait to get the glue out 🙂

alexb17
    Free Member

I got the Boulton Paul Defiant and Dornier DO17z dogfight double. At the in laws in Ireland so can’t start it for a while!

Link

vinnyeh

I remember the Defiant from my childhood- as I remember there were huge gaps between parts in several places, not least the wing root.
    I have the 1:24 Spitfire and Harrier which I picked up cheaply a few years back- neither built, but the mouldings, esp on the Spit are awful- they’re probably too much work to bother building, really.
    Been working on a Dragon sdkfz 251 off and on for about a year now, far nicer proposition.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

dannybgoode – Member 

Not Airfix-style but I received a Vintage Model Co SE5A balsa

Nice-any chance of a link?

It’s this one:

therevokid
    Free Member

got a 1/35th panzerkampfwagen vi … haven’t built a model in
    nearly 30 years. what could possibly go …. 😉

kiwijohn

I’m halfway through the lego Porsche. It’s an amazing piece of work.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have a Tamika 1:24 LaFerrari and a new moulding Airfix 1:48 Boulton Paul Defiant waiting for me. Currently working on an Academy 1:72 AH64 Apache. Don’t like 1:72, too fiddly for my ageing eyes

matt_outandabout

This thread is useless without pics.

Harry_the_Spider

Just spent £34 on glue, brushes and paint.

dannybgoode

Feel the need to go out and by a model now!!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Bit of a PSA:

TK Maxx in Merry Hill (Dudley) had 1:24 scale Airfix Spitfires in for £25 the other day. This was the modelling kit with glue, paints and brushes. Might have be a Battle of Britain edition or similar. Think normal retail is about £60-65

Edit: I think it was this version (eBay link) Example similar 1:24 Spitfire kit

Digby

have airfix caught up

Some of the new ‘tooled’ Airfix kits are really very good I think … a far cry from the early ’80s when the amount of flashing and poor detailing etc led me to Tamiya before plastic models fell out of favour with me as a young teen who’d discovered sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll. 🙄

I recently got back into it a few years ago when this missus bought me a Spitfire 1/72 starter kit as a bit of a joke …

It became a bit of a minor obsession and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed getting back into it! (now I can afford all the proper paints and tools etc)
    Only problem is I am running out of storage space! 😳

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You patio needs a re-point.
    Nice hedge though.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Hedge needs a trim to!

beaker

I build very slowly, got several aircraft on the go- none of them are airfix though. This is the last kit I finished. A Hasegawa 1/48 Hurricane.

[/url]All Photos-220 by -ade634-[/img]

Digby

@beaker – very nice Hurricane indeed!

I’ve recently moved from mainly 1/72 to doing a few 1/48 and really appreciate the addition detail etc.

spursn17
    Free Member

Airfix do some very nice kits now, just make sure that you get a newer one.

I got this LRDG truck

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QrHSNP][/url][/url]

It’ll get started as soon as I’ve finished this…
    [img]https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/631/31427689122_bd9b1f9e81_c.jpg[/img][url=https://flic.kr/p/PTa841][/url][/url]

Harry_the_Spider

One down, loads to go.

Not up to the standards of many on here but I’ve loved the peace and quiet of making it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Tamiya 10mm masking tape is ideal for those leading edge strips of yellow. And many other things too.
    Just run a couple of lengths either side of the area to be painted and voila, nice straight lines.

I’m on the Airfix 1:48 Boulton Paul Defiant now. Much better quality kit than airfix of old. Just sprayed the underside with Tamiya “sky” (the model is of a Defiant before the Germans discovered it didn’t have any forward firing guns, which led to it being removed from front-line “day” fighter duties). Next up, tomorrow, mask off the underside and spray the upper surfaces with dark earth. Probably the specified Humbrol acrylic paint as I’m out of Dark Earth by anybody else. Then finally spray the contrast dark green camouflage. Haven’t decided to go freehand or use a mask of some variety. Probably freehand – here’s one I did earlier (a lot earlier)

Harry_the_Spider

The yellow lines should have been a decal, but getting something 3mm wide to fold over the leading edge is somewhat optimistic. Hand paining was an emergency last resort.

I was surprised how good the kit was. A bit of research told me it was a new one. I’m doing a couple of MkVb Spitfires which are definitely from an older set of moulds and they are shocking by comparison.

My lad has watched me with some fascination over the last week or so once I’d told him that I was going to hang some from his bedroom ceiling. I’ve got the two MkVbs, a BF109 and I’ve just got a Revell He-111 for a tenner off ebay. No idea what Revell quality is like though.

What cement do you use? I’m on the Humbrol stuff that you squirt down the needle and it has given me a bicep like Martina Navratilova.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I use Revell poly cement. It has a really fine needle nozzle which makes big globs of glue a thing of the past. For paints a mix of Tamiya, Revell & Humbrol acrylics

Revell kits are generally ok – unless you get one of the old Matchbox kits that Revell bought the moulds for (panel lines can be raised rather than inscribed) – although the instructions can sometimes be a bit vague.

rockhopper70

I got my lad the airfix Vulcan bomber xh558 and we have agreed to have a proper go at it.
    Any useful tips for what to us for tape masking and spraying.
    It’s a heck of a box for a 1:72 model and I’m sure it’s going to dwarf the typhoon, hawk and harrier he currently has handing on fishing line from his ceiling.

This is all pending finishing the Lego technic across which is frankly brilliant.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve heard that the Airfix Vulcan is a bit of a filler queen…

Re masking – isn’t it an all over green & grey camouflage scheme? Mask the glazing with Tamiya masking tape, cut to shape in situ, and paint the undercarriage wells with Humbrol Maskol
    If you don’t have an airbrush, Tamiya and Humbrol do rattle cans which would be fine for a model as big as the Vulcan – try http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk or your local Hobbycraft store

I use a cotton bud for the Maskol as it eats brushes.
    Do not fit the wheels at this point; fit the undercarriage doors in “in flight” mode using more maskol as a temporary glue.
    Spray the whole thing with the grey first, then the green. I would do the green freehand but you could use maskol to cover up the bits you want to keep grey and then spray the whole thing green
    When the green has dried, peel off the maskol and tidy up the flaked off bits of green, then give the whole thing a coat of clear gloss varnish – I find it helps the decals settle. When all decals are done, go over them with more clear gloss.
    When that has dried, a coat of clear Matt varnish helps it all settle down. Remove the undercarriages doors and all remaining Maskol, then fit the undercarriage. Et voila

Scale Aviation Modeller International is a useful magazine for more tips as well as kit reviews. Bigger Tesco stores should carry it

rockhopper70

Thanks for the heads up on maskol, I’d not heard of that before.
    Indeed, I’m a complete amateur at this but thought we’d try and at least do a camouflage paint job.
    Any recommendations for ready to use aerosol paints, I can’t stretch to an airbrush and all th gubbins.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,329 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.