Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 2,330 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Harry_the_Spider

I also like the bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin that appears in these pictures to give scale. Is this an SI unit?

nickc

Where do you keep them all? I’m going to have to have a cull.

Funny you should say, there’s currently nowhere (apart from the workbench) where this can live…May have to have a cull. Detail on the tank looks super cool, can’t wait to see it finished.

nickc

Is this an SI unit?

😃 I think it needs to be.

Harry_the_Spider

Detail on the tank looks super cool, can’t wait to see it finished.

Covered in tiny little hooks. I was putting them on “blind” as I couldn’t really see what I was doing, then nudging them into position.

I’ve put enough on so that I can get to a point where it can be masked. All the “sticky out bits”, the machine gun, smoke launchers, aerials etc can go on later after the camo has been painted.

There were more pieces on the crew hatches than on the entire upper hull of the Chieftain.

stumpy01

Another question – do people use Tamiya Extra Thin cement for all of their joining needs?
    I find that it dries so fast, on larger parts I can’t get a bead all the way around the edge before the start bit has dried. I find myself either having to rush to get the whole edge perimeter covered before slapping the parts together, or putting the parts together & then dabbing the cement along the seam to allow it to wick into the gap. This seems less than idea though, as it spoils the edges being joined.

I feel like I need an in-between glue that is not quite as volatile as the extra thin stuff, but less goopy than the cheap tubes of polystyrene cement you get in the starter kits.

Harrier progress is still going slowly. I’ve been doing quite a bit of on sprue painting for things like weapon pylons, undercarriage, air-brake & undercarriage flaps etc.
    Once cut off the sprue they will obviously need tidying & finishing up with some dabs of paint to finish them off, but couldn’t work out a better way to paint them & hold them.

White paint still proving a pain in the arse, but maybe getting a bit better at it. I primed all of the on-sprue bits before painting and the paint has maybe gone on a little bit better. I’ve decided I will prime the fuselage before painting.

I realised that I can’t fit the drop tanks & the bombs that I spent ages painting, as they use the same rack on the wing. So, that is good as it allows me to use the bombs to practice different painting methods etc.

I filled the terrible gaps in the engine nozzles, but have not yet got round to smoothing & sanding the filler to finish them off before painting.

Slow progress when you can only do an hour or so on the occasional evening.

nickc

Like most folks I suspect, I use Revell Contacta for larger bits (wings fuselage etc etc)

contacta

It’s pretty nice to use in large areas, you can go much more evenly and not rush things, the long metal errr, spout? makes it easy to be super accurate about where it goes, and it dries much more slowly that Tam, super-thin, it’s also way less aggressive

Harry_the_Spider

I use Contacta too for “welding”.

Extra thin is great for the fiddly stuff as capillary action pulls it into the joints.

ChrisL

Tamiya do actually go a standard thickness glue in addition to extra thin. It comes in the same size bottle but has a larger brush. I find it useful for larger joins.

stumpy01

Ah right. Looks like I need to look for something else to use then, alongside the thin stuff. Cheers chaps!

Harry_the_Spider

Contacta is really good. Much more controllable than a tube. Not used the Tamiya Not so Thin though, so don’t know how it compares.

natrix
    Free Member

Aifix starter kit Hurricane, from the middle of Lidl. I think I need to thin the paint a bit more on the next one.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Tamiya extra thin – you are not supposed to paint the parts with it then press them together, you fit the parts together then the glue is so thin that you just brush it over the joint and it flows in between the parts by itself.

natrix
    Free Member

Another Aifix starter kit from Lidl, Willys Jeep, found it quite fiddly……

Harry_the_Spider

I bet that is tiny!

nickc

I tried to start on the Tamiya version of that Jeep, and I couldn’t finish it.

natrix
    Free Member

I should have added a bottle of Tamiya extra thin for scale 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

It would have hidden it.

natrix
    Free Member

Another starter kit from Lidl, this time a Sherman Firefly, fresh from the factory…

nickc

Adventures in painting…I’m going for a “bleached in the SEA sun and washed with liberal amounts of salty water while sat on the arse end of the Intrepid”…Yes. Obviously it’s going to be  VA176, yes obviously the MiG killer, and yes Obviously with the toilet bomb…Who do you think I am? I hoping that while it does look a bit OOT right now, after a couple of coats of varnish, some weathering and the decals on, it’ll tone down a bit. If not; I’ll know for next time, right?

Skyraider WIP

Harry_the_Spider

Is that the Hobby 2000 kit? I’ve got one in The Stash.

nickc

It is, the ex-Hasegawa 1/72 scale. It’s showing its age a bit, a few bits of flash, some fit issues around the fuselage and wings, and that hard unforgiving Hasegawa plastic all present. But the decals are nice, there’s masks included and the shape is about right (if you don’t look too closely) Easy build as well – apart from endless amounts of munitions

Harry_the_Spider

Sounds like the same one. Will have to check if I’ve got the toilet included in my kit.

I do like Hobby 2000. A proper top opening box is always appreciated!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobby-2000-72062-a-1h-skyraider–1439117

natrix
    Free Member

Cromwell tank (again from Lidl)

Harry_the_Spider

You are battering through these!

natrix
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got a Tiger tank on the go at the moment.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m also building a Tiger 1, well I’ve opened the box anyhow.  Its the Tamiya mid production version and I’m going to give it the full Zimmerit and battle damage treatment!

Harry_the_Spider

natrixFree Member
    Yes, I’ve got a Tiger tank on the go at the moment.

If you fancy something bigger for not much more you can pick up 1/35 Tamiyas starting at about £15 off Jadlam.

natrix
    Free Member

If you fancy something bigger for not much more you can pick up 1/35 Tamiyas starting at about £15 off Jadlam

Sounds good.

battle damage treatment!

Be interested to see how you do this

natrix
    Free Member

Oooh, an AS90. BITD that seemed so modern “Artillery System for the 90s”  seems rather dated now though………….

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Any German armour experts in the house?  Mid production Tiger 1 specifically.  And it’ll be overall Dunkelgleb with field applied Olivegrun and Rotbraun camouflage.

Would they have been red oxide primered then Zimmerit then Dunkelgelb or would the have done topcoat then the paste?  I understand the Zimmerit was applied in the factory.  If the Zimmerit was chipped off what colour would you see underneath do you think?

Harry_the_Spider

That’s a question for the Britmodeller forum! They like that sort of thing.

nickc

A1-H NE572 Paper Tiger II of VA-25 USS Midway 1965 Yankee Station. The “Toilet Bomber”. There are two stories about the choice of munition. Once goes that it was a protest about weapons shortages, the other that commemorates a bombing milestone. It’s a big kit for single seater, in 1/72 scale its more the 4.5 Thin glues long and has an over 5 thin glues wing span. I’ve totally no room for this thing anywhere.

skyraider

Toilet Bomb

natrix
    Free Member

Took me a while to spot the toilet…….

nickc

Any German armour experts in the house?

What I know about German WWII armour can be written on a very small post-it-note labelled Nick knows shit all about German Armour, sorry

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My research tells me that most of the war they were red oxide followed by overall dark grey (Dunkelgrau) which changed to tan (Dunkelgelb) in 1943.  They were sent out with two tins of pigment, red brown (Rotbraun) and dark olive green (Olivgruen) that the crews could mix up in the field and apply their own camouflage pattern so you’ll never see two Tiger 1’s that look alike!

The only thing i haven’t been able to find is if the Zimmerit was applied before or after the main colour.

Hope that helps 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Bit of progress on the S Tank.

Got to weather the wheels before joining the hull halves and adding all of the stuff on the sides.

IMG_20240323_180943

nickc

That’s a crazy looking thing!

like the tracks and wheels though 👍

nickc

I think I did say I wasn’t going to do any more PE in 1/72 kits…Yeah, about that.

109 interior

It’s ‘sort of’ fun in a slightly masochistic way.

Harry_the_Spider

like the tracks and wheels though

Thanks. Looks a lot better now it has dried.

A lot of it will be hidden behind Jerry Cans that also contributed to the armour. The logic being that if they caught fire the fuel would leak and set light to the ground, not the tank.

Not a big fan of tanks that are caked in shite. In a lot of cases it doesn’t scale very well. Not that I’m an expert I hasten to add.

I’m much more of a slightly dusty sort of chap.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 2,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.