Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,332 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Harry_the_Spider

That’s Italeri for you.

Cheap though! 😀 The F15 was about a tenner.

I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for them and I’ve probably built more Italeri than anything else. Sure, they drive you nuts at times, but that is part of the charm.

Interestingly* they are releasing a re-box of the Fuji British flavoured Phantom, which apparently is better than the new Airfix one… and slightly cheaper.

*Not really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Treated myself to one of these half price.for.my Birthday. Joins 14 other unbuilt kits. Also lusting after the Brat RC reboot.

Harry_the_Spider

Nearly done.

Just the weapons to add.

Rio

Fine looking piece of work!

Did anyone else make it to Scale Model World in Telford today? Amongst other goodies WnW had their 1/32 Lancaster on display; that’s definitely going on my Christmas if I can ever dedicate an entire room to making it!

Harry_the_Spider

Cheers Rio. Nearly ruined the whole damn thing!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235057858-italeri-f15e-strike-eagle/

Did they have the new Airfix Vulcan at Telford?

Rio

Damn – I believe they did have the Vulcan – people were talking about it – but when I first went past I couldn’t get near the Airfix stand because of the crowds (if I ever go again it won’t be mid-day Sat) so I meant to go back later but now you’ve reminded me that I forgot!

I did succeed in my primary goal of getting some 1/32 RFC control wire turnbuckles (niche or what!) – it’s amazing what you can get there if you know what you’re looking for.

Harry_the_Spider

Busy eh?

Not been to Telford, but Bolton in January gets rammed too.

Harry_the_Spider

Finished.

With the rest of the “Fast Jets”.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nice collection, according to my ex-RAF work colleagues the reason God made the world round was so that the Jaguar could take off…….😁

timbog160

Nice work! Also makes you realise how compact the Jaguar was…

Harry_the_Spider

Also makes you realise how compact the Jaguar was…

And how big the others are. The Phantom is a big old lump and it is the third smallest.

Building a couple of SU34s next.

One will be in blue camouflage and the other will be a “Black Duck”.

Harry_the_Spider

PSA – Aldi was awash with £5 Airfix today. Spitfires, Warhawks, ME109s, FW190s, Gnats and the Golden Hind (5 out of 6 ‘aint bad)

nostrils
    Free Member

Well, it’s that time of year again, my uncle works In a charity shop and knowing I do the occasional kit bought home this:

Partly built Airfix 1:12th Bentley “Blower”, quick rummage through the box suggests it’s mainly there. Don’t know if I dare try and finish it, never built a car before.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The first kit I ever built with my dad back in the early 1970’s was the Supermarine Walrus. It’s still available in 1/72 form but in a new box.
    I think I did a rather better job on it the time than I did back then!

And for completeness I bought the kit in its original box as well. I won’t build this one though.

Harry_the_Spider

Nice. There’s something about the old boxes, especially a mint one like that.

Thread about old kits:-

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235062397-airfix-nostalgia-builds/

timbog160

@rockhopper – very neat build. Also your book collection looks not dissimilar to mine 😂

spursn17
    Free Member

nostrils, you lucky bleeder!

Just build it and do your best.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nice work Harry.

according to my ex-RAF work colleagues the reason God made the world round was so that the Jaguar could take off…….

Naa, that was the Shackleton, once described at an airshow i went to as ‘20,000 rivets flying in close formation’ & ‘The Shack does something unusual, it gets off the ground & the Earth goes round underneath’

spursn17
    Free Member

Just had a week off work (hooray!), but also had a chest infection so no bike action (boo!), so had a bit of kit time while I’ve been sitting about (hooray!).
    Finished assembling the Bronco Stug 3 after painting the interior, it’s a nice kit with some photo etch and a metal barrel included. The tracks were a sod to make as they are 93 links each, with 2 x 0.5mm track pins per link, and are quite fragile. They fully articulate though so they should look good when I get them on.

I used Mr Surfacer primer for the first time and loved it, going to stick with that from now on and may move on to their paint as it sprays so well. After priming I used Lifecolor German Grey acrylic for the base coat which went on nice and smooth as well, I think I may move on from Vallejo paints even though I’ve been happy with them so far.

hosting images

Harry_the_Spider

Is that airbrushed or out of a can?

I use acrylic car primer, but would switch to something else if it gave an advantage.

spursn17
    Free Member

Is that airbrushed or out of a can?

Airbrushed. I used Mr Surfacer 1000 with their Leveling thinner, goes on really smooth and dries very quick!

shooterman

@spurnz is it a tough primer coat? I stopped using Vallejo because it never seemed to cure properly

spursn17
    Free Member

is it a tough primer coat?

Seems to be so far. I was most impressed by how it didn’t cover up any small details even when I applied too much and it pooled on some of the wheel hubs, I just left it to dry and it seemed to shrink on! #airbrushbuffoonery

timbog160

Looking great so far – Eastern Front? Stug is always very evocative of the war in the East I think esp with the swastika flag draped over it for aircraft recognition.

spursn17
    Free Member

Eastern Front?

That’s the plan. Nice and hot summer dusty, no mud!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m tackling something new – luftwaffe camouflage on a Tamiya FW-190D. It looks really bloody hard to get right, what with the splotches around the tail and around the fuselage.

I’ve two choices – either use very well thinned paint at very low pressure in my airbrush, with the risk that it’ll go pears quickly, or I could try making splotch shaped doughnuts out of blu-tack and making a mask of sorts. The worry here is that the demarcation between the RLM-75 and RLM 81/82 will be too sharp and look crap.

Any tips?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m tackling something new – luftwaffe camouflage on a Tamiya FW-190D. It looks really bloody hard to get right, what with the splotches around the tail and around the fuselage

What scale?
    I did my 1/72 one (see page 18 I think of this thread) using a cotton bud. Looks OK. I think it’d be a bit too splattery with my airbrush skills. Or make a paper mask with rough edges and sit it a mm or 2 off the plastic on blutack and spray?

ChrisL

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the Su-34s, I have a soft spot for their weird proportions and huge payloads. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

I’m doing one as when it debuted at the Paris Air Show with blue camouflage and no weapons. The other will be an operational “Black Duck” and will look as mean as Hell.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thanks all – it’s 1/48.

I’ve a pot of Tamiya XF-61 which is as close to RLM-83 that I can get, the plan is to mask the demarcation with blue tac, paint and then do the same for the RLM-75. The idea of paper masks is a winner, given that there’s a 1:1 scale painting guide in the box (minus mottling obviously). This evening’s plan involves scanning, copying, drawing in the areas to be cut out with a scalpel and masking the model accordingly.

My shelf of doom is littered with awful attempts at Luftwaffe camouflage. At last count there’s two Hobby Boss Me262s and three Bf109s.

stumpy01

Well, I haven’t made a start on the Paul Bolton Defiant that I bought last month, but I have bought a helping hand magnifier thing, some detail brushes & a mixing palette, which have turned up today.

I have also bought some emery boards for removing sprue burrs and I meant to buy some tweezers but forgot. I might have some ferreted away in the garage if I have a dig.

Not likely to get the chance to make a start this weekend, as I’ve got my Sister & nephews visiting but perhaps next weekend…

Cletus

Half Price Revell model kits at Hobbycraft (+ Free Delivery on Orders Over £20)

Quite fancy the PT Boat

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I fancied a change from airplanes so I had a go at the Airfix early war Tiger 1. I thought something was wrong as I started building it – turns out it’s a reboxing of an ancient Academy kit and it shows, especially with regards to the instructions which are dire for such a complicated kit and resulted in some fit issues which don’t show up till right at the end when it’s too late to correct!

Re the cammo pattern, tanks were delivered to theatre in overall yellow and the crews applied their own camouflage using standard brown and dark green colours They’d often spray over tools and towing cables as well.

Harry_the_Spider

Looks good though. The whole “reboxing” thing confuses me. How/why do they do it?

I got the new Airfix Mitchell for my birthday and there is the Italeri rebox of the Fujimi RAF Phantom on the way.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Cheaper & easier to buy existing moulds than to create from new , especially if it fills a hole in your product range.

johndrummer
    Free Member

From Hobbycraft 50% Revell sale I bought the PT boat, 1/32 P51-D, 1/144 Boeing 777 (or is it 787?)
    Joining a Hasegawa 1/48 A7D/E, a Miniart 1/35 T55 complete with interior (I’m terrified of that, there are over 1000 parts!), an Italeri 1/24 Alfa Giulietta Spider, Revell tiny scale Boeing 747, and others still in the stash

On the workbench an Italeri Renault 5 – just waiting for its door mirrors; a Revell 1/144 F14D and a Revell Type VIIC u-boat

spursn17
    Free Member

Update

After some dark washes over the lightened base colour I applied several light grey washes of varying shades, RAF Dark Sea Grey seemed to work really well to lighten it even further. This was then followed up by more darkening of shadowed areas with washes of Lifecolor 207 Dunkelgrau, then even more washes of the lighter greys to the centre of panels and anywhere that would get faded first. I then applied some of the Lifecolor Dunkelgrau with some sponge as if I were applying chipping to show the original colour through the fading.

Where I am now is that I’ve just used some Phthalo blue oil paint dots to filter the panels and add back in the blue tone of the Dunkelgrau, followed by some selective filtering with black and a very small amount of burnt umber oil dots. I found this blue to be a very strong colour and used it very sparingly.

I’m finding it difficult to take pics of the Stug that show the true colour of it, every pic I take is different from the last one. Next up will be some pastels to dust it up a bit.

Cheers

Dave (spursn17)

boggie62
    Free Member

Now this might just tempt me to reinstate the modelling bench

[url=https://postimages.org/]post image online[/url]

spursn17
    Free Member

That Alfa is very nice, price is a bit eye watering though!

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,332 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.