Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 2,360 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Harry_the_Spider

I don’t have the eyesight or fine motor skills for PE ☹️

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

https://ibb.co/g4jJPCY

No idea if that link will work, so may need a quick edit.

Some amazing paint work on this thread, and that’s just looking at the last few pages.

My 9-year old has just got into airfix/revell, quick learning curve about the need for tweezers, sandpaper etc but I’ve been really impressed with his skills. He’s got a few paints from war hammer figures and I think he’s done an excellent job on this Comet Mk1 (although I’m taking credit for getting the transfers on!)

natrix
    Free Member

Thats some great cockpit detail Nick.

Good work by your son on the Comet, Jim.

nickc

My latest. Bf109 F Trop-R5 of 3-JG27 Murtuba, Libya Feb ’42. Obviously if you choose your theme to be “desert Luftwaffe”, you pretty much end up looking at pictures of Hans Joachim Marseille’s various 109Fs. There’s any number of variants of the basic scheme you can end up doing, there’s endless reference photos, some showing a red (probably primer) tail, some with white wing tips, some without…You can pretty much choose whatever. Marseille was one of the few Luftwaffe 150+ aces whose kills came almost entirely fighting Western allied pilots from the RAF, Empire, and USAAF air forces. Some of his kills are disputed now though, but shouldn’t distract from the fact that he was an amazingly skilled fighter pilot. Interesting fact; He was shot down twice by the same Frenchman; Sous-Lieutenant James Denis who was flying with the RAF.

It’s the Eduard 1/72 kit, which comes with a couple of sprues of PE, most of which was used…Can you tell? No, no you can’t. I shouldn’t bother with it really haha. Nice kit, a bit ‘over’ engineered if I’m honest, but also I didn’t have to use filler anywhere. so you pays yer money…

109 2109 1109 cockpit

Harry_the_Spider

Lovely build.

Hans Joachim Marseille is in a few of James Holland’s books and sound’s like an “interesting” character. I won’t give any spoilers!

natrix
    Free Member

Incredible detail on the cockpit Nick.

Just finished a Tiger. (can’t find the insert image button)

https://i.postimg.cc/pT1g7nTW/IMG-20240316-091421993-2.jpg

The only thing i haven’t been able to find is if the Zimmerit was applied before or after the main colour.

Give the Tank Museum a bell? They have a good Tiger collection: archive@tankmuseum.org

nickc

Nice little Tiger. Even teeny tiny it’s a menacing shape.

natrix
    Free Member

Agreed, must have been terrifying in real life. I once had to direct a chieftan tank over a bridge and had to fight the urge just to run away, it had a very scary looming presence.

Harry_the_Spider

GMFzuDlXcAEJt6n

Harry_the_Spider

Tracks and wheels masked. Primer on.

stank

Let’s see how we do with a splinter camo job!

Harry_the_Spider

First mask on. Was as much fun as it looks.stank

Extra Thin for scale.

nickc

Fw190D-9 StabII/JG 6, Furth, April/May 1945. By this point Nazi Germany’s aircraft production was almost exclusively fighters (defence) , so lots of different manufacturers were making bits of airplane, the sub-assemblies (wings and engines made at the Junkers plant) were then bought together at the Focke Wulf factory at Marienburg. Surprisingly, they were still able to make 1500 of these planes from August 1944 to the end of the war, although the didn’t really have the pilots to fly them, so it was a waste of time, and planes that did take to the sky were almost invariably shot down immediately. This particular plane was one of a handful found intact at the very end of the war.

FurthFurth2

Harry_the_Spider

There ain’t no party like an S Tank party! Apparently.WhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 06.45.50_8d4cd388WhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 06.45.50_fdf49329WhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 06.45.51_3bc000ebWhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 06.45.51_5a701b18WhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 06.45.51_15febdf6WhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 06.45.51_d0594921WhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 06.45.52_11889eb9

nickc

That looks really cool. Are you pleased with it?

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah. Not sure the wife is though as there is now an ugly dirty vehicle in the house.

Agreed, must have been terrifying in real life. I once had to direct a chieftan tank over a bridge and had to fight the urge just to run away, it had a very scary looming presence.

Agreed! Bloody big lumps of metal.

FB_IMG_1715851977112

If you’ve never been, the Tiger display at the Tank Museum is brilliant.

FB_IMG_1715851969232

nickc

Been to the live show down at Bovington, and even just in their arena; the clanking and squeaking and noise of a tank is enough to give you the willies, I can’t imagine what it must have been like to see one of those things coming around a corner in Normandy 80 years ago.

Harry_the_Spider

Wet bank holiday progress on Trumpeter AS90.

Tamiya extra thin for scale.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-27 at 12.17.44_f059c32d

richmars

Picked these up from a local auction. The frames are metal, but the wheels are moulded, so need to figure out a way to make 1/9 scale spoked wheels.

Will be a retirement project.

Test 2

Harry_the_Spider

^Interesting…

What do the kit supplied wheels look like?

nickc

so need to figure out a way to make 1/9 scale spoked wheels.

very thin gauge lead wire would be my first thought

jimw
    Free Member

Another option would be fine nickel silver  or nickel chrome wire which would have more tensile strength than lead. Scale would be 38swg?

richmars

Wheels in the kit are moulded, I guess each spoke is about 3mm diameter if scaled up.

Yes, some thin wire will do, but I need to make the hub and rim with equally spaced holes.

I need a watchmakers dividing head for that, which I don’t currently have. This will be a winter retirement project so a few months to think about it.

Harry_the_Spider

The aerials on my tanks are 0.024 gauge guitar strings.

Harry_the_Spider

Done.

Trumpeter AS90 1/35 scale.

Scratch built interior and cam netting. Stowage from a Tamiya US Infantry accessories set.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-09 at 15.40.30_46c65d5bWhatsApp Image 2024-06-09 at 15.40.30_68b50185WhatsApp Image 2024-06-09 at 15.40.30_69e4aa26WhatsApp Image 2024-06-09 at 15.40.30_2894bc57WhatsApp Image 2024-06-09 at 15.40.31_0fafb483WhatsApp Image 2024-06-09 at 15.40.30_a654fd23

nickc

My, what a big gun you have.

That looks ace, well done.

natrix
    Free Member

That fire extinguisher really sets it off, fantastic job.

nickc

Corsair F4U-7 of Flotille 15, La Fayette, Operation Musketeer (The Suez/Sinai War) 1956. The -7 was the only Corsair built specifically for another nation, It was custom made for the French Navy and was essentially a US Marines spec AU-1 with the engine from an F4U-4. The La Fayette, was the Ex US Navy carrier; The USS Langley. These aircraft went on to fly in the French Indo-China war and flew combat in Vietnam and Algeria up to the early 60’s. It’s the Italeri kit with some additions (PE cockpit, resin flaps) went together OK, but it’s showing its age now. Still got some rigging to do

Corsair

Corsair1

Harry_the_Spider

Very tidy.

Think I built the same kit years ago. Can the remember the tail wheel assembly being very fragile.

faustus

Incredible builds, that tank looks amazing. I have to say I find the world of adult model making very intimidating, with 2 young kids around I’ll never have the time, space, or concentration to do much. I used to love it as a kid and did pretty well with what I had, but the levels it goes to with PE, weathering, airbrushing, and everything else – is totally beyond me. A colleague at work shares photos of his waterline ship models, with full PE and they look amazing, but they mentally set a standard i’ll never get near.

I’ve an old matchbox Handley Page Victor kit from when I was a teenager, gathering dust under the bed as I don’t think I can do it justice…

nickc

I try to do something new each time, sometimes it works, sometimes not. (mostly not if I’m honest) With things like PE (especially in 1/72 scale) unless you’re doing competition, it’s really not necessary at all. For instance the cockpit of the Corsair has side consoles, seat belts, levers, instrument panel, but then I realised I wanted the cockpit closed, so it was never going to be seen, but I learned  a huge amount about painting and using it. I’m just pleasing myself really. Plus its amazing what a good pair of magnifying glasses will let you achieve…  :)

Stupidity it mostly turns out…

cockpit

Harry_the_Spider

I can’t be bothered with PE, because I can’t see it!

I’ve got a 1/72 Gulf War Tornado (Eduard enhanced re-box of the Revell) that has a PE cockpit. One day I’ll give it a go.

The biggest change for me was using Tamiya acrylics and an airbrush. Then spraying it with a matt varnish. Elimination of brush marks and not clogging up detail makes a big difference.

The AS90 above was sprayed green, then the black was brushed on followed by a really rough pass with a dry brush and home made wash.

nickc

Yeah, I’d agree, learning to use an airbrush was a game-changer for me.

Harry_the_Spider

Also, especially with the tanks, taking photos outside (on my shed roof, so they are all on a 30° slope) with a real background and natural light, with the camera at scale eye level, makes a big difference.

Neighbours must wonder what the hell I’m up to.

nickc

JU 87-G2 of 10.(PZ)/SG 2 Immelmann; Slovakia May 1945. The JU87 was pretty much obsolete by early forties and Battle of Britain revealed that it couldn’t operate anywhere the Luftwaffe didn’t have total air superiority, The Nazis continued to use it for lack of replacement – until the GA role was largely taken over by the F190F. Eventually they stuck ridiculous 37mm cannons under the wings to try to slow up the advance of Russian armour. The cannons were massive; weighing in at over 300kg each and could only carry clips of just 6 rounds per gun. JU87

Harry_the_Spider

Fabulous result!

nickc

Cheers Harry

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Tamiya Tiger 1 – I was going for the just out of combat, ran out of fuel and abandoned by the crew look!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 2,360 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.