Home Forums Bike Forum Cheapest coil conversion?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cheapest coil conversion?
  • alan1977
    Free Member

Morning
    i’ve currently got a set of none boost dual position 160/130 pikes on my hardtail
    Also, a set of MRP stage 170mm i had on there for a while, which are now in the cupboard as no one seemed to want to pay anything sensible for them.

Since putting mattoc pro’s on my full sus im really really disappointed in the pikes..
    so
    i’m looking to convert either the MRP or pikes to coil, i know kits are available for the pikes, but not the earlier MRP stage’s (that i can find)

Anyone got any other info?
    i did find the french guy that makes he rockshox kits from his shed, but i couldn’t fathom the spreadsheet/order form and never hear back via email

i would be looking at running the MRP’s at 160mm or the pikes at 150mm (MRP’s are shorter)

either way, i’m looking for the cheapest way to do it

jakehinton
    Free Member

Not sure if its the cheapest but the vorsprung smashpot kit is great, can be swapped between various forks (may need different top cap/foot nut) and can change the travel. The bottom out adjust is handy and works well too

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah i’d say if you go coil do it properly and get smashpot. otherwise the cheapest uprgade to the pikes would be a luftkappe.  i had some dual position lyriks of the ‘era’ and hated them

alan1977
    Free Member

thanks, Luftkappe says not compatible with dual position. Smashpot doesnt say anything to say it isn’t but at $420 is some money (possibly more than the new mattoc pros i bought)
    Im in the UK btw

richwales

TF Tuned kit for ~ £150 ?

bigyan
    Free Member

TF were the cheapest last time I looked.

jk1980
    Free Member

I have a smash pot for sale that came out of a Lyrik . If that’s compatible and you’re interested let me know

lewzz10
    Free Member

I’ve a TF Tuned Pike if you have any questions about them.

alan1977
    Free Member

sent you a pm jk1980, thanks

lewzz10 thanks will fire any questions up if i can think of any, early days yet

alan1977
    Free Member

actually, apparently lyrik/yari are different to pike/revs (smashpot)

lewzz10
    Free Member

think they have a different pitch on the threads and maybe stanchion ID. Boost/non-boost not interchangeable either.

mashr

CRConception were generally the cheapest, however his site looks like he’s stopped doing them now

alan1977
    Free Member

thanks mashr that’s the guy i tried to contact

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Ive messaged you jk1980

singlespeedstu

TF Tuned kit for ~ £150 ?

Has anyone any experience of this kit?
    Got a couple of Smashpots that are great but looking for a cheaper conversion for a less used fork.

lewzz10
    Free Member

Has anyone any experience of this kit?
    Got a couple of Smashpots that are great but looking for a cheaper conversion for a less used fork.

Mine has been great, after I returned the fork and TF Tuned installed it correctly (they fitted it originally at the same time as a service). Can confirm it is not pleasant sounding without the top out bumper fitted.

Other than that, it depends what you’re after. I wanted less faff with shock pumps before rides, more sensitivity and to have a less abrupt spring curve than the standard (non-debonair) spring in my pike. It’s delivered on every aspect of that, no bottom out issues – typically use less travel than I did before but with a more sensitive fork.

I think it adds some weight but I’m not in the habit of weighing my forks before and after servicing them. Worth noting I’m running a pretty firm spring rate (~10-15%) compared to what many on here seem to run. Can still get close to full travel on big hits with a little extra for emergencies.

Depends how lucky you are getting a spot-on spring rate (as I seem to have), though I guess you have a good feeling for this if you’re riding coil already.

I’ve not touched a shock pump in 10 months!

kiwijohn

Sell them both & get a Z1 Bomber (+ boost adapter)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest coil conversion?’ is closed to new replies.