Home Forums Chat Forum Car dumped on private land outside house – WWSTD

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Car dumped on private land outside house – WWSTD
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

OK

The driveway outside our place is private. Owned by the farm next door.

About a week ago a taxi appeared. And had not disappeared. There is no identification or phone number on the taxi, just the taxi registration plate.

Is not blocking access but is taking up a parking space which all the houses can use.

What are our options?

Police?
    Tractor?
    Bombers?

dawson

Asked the neighbours if they know who’s it is?

Check if it has tax and MOT, if not report to DVLA, but if it isn’t your land, not much you can do?

hot_fiat

Angle grinder with cutting disc.

Recycling blue bin.

A month.

Job jobbed.

less flippant reply: check it here . Then potentially notify the police on 101. If it’s private land, but there is access to the public I think it’s still technically the public highway. You have asked the farmer haven’t you?

matt_outandabout

Sausages, hammer, bonnet.

andrewh
    Free Member

If its on private land it doesn’t need tax or MOT.
    Ask around the neighbours, might be a restoration project they’ve bought.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Report it to the police as abandoned, especially if there is any obvious damage like a broken window or flat tyres, which would commonly indicate its nicked and dumped.

The driveway outside our place is private. Owned by the farm next door.

Also muck spreaders can make an awful lot of mess, cows like to rub against wing mirrors and things. A farm is a very dangerous place to leave a vehicle.

MoreCashThanDash

Is there a smell and a lot of flies near the boot?

hot_fiat

Sausages, hammer, bonnet.

is that the same as: prawns, air vents, chop sticks?

nickjb
    Free Member

I get this outside my garage as it is a large forecourt. Check for tax and MOT online, if it is out of date then it gets a large “ABANDONED UNTAXED VEHICLE 28 DAY NOTICE BEFORE REMOVAL” notice on it, gaffa taped to the windscreen. Happened a few times and they have gone pretty quickly after the note. If nothing happens then find a scrapyard to take it away after the notice period. Not had to do this yet, but you do need to be careful of the legalities and take reasonable measures to contact the owner. If it is taxed and insured and they are just using it as free parking then leave a note and hope.

smokey_jo

You could report it to the licensing officer at the local council and they could then contact the taxi firm…

scotroutes

What has the landowner said?

drnosh
    Free Member

Contact the council licensing crew.

honeybadgerx

Maybe the owner went for a walk but can’t get back because the farmer ploughed the fields?

dyna-ti

Drain the fuel out of it. This will prevent thieves from going back and using it for further crimes.

Store the fuel in the shed, if nobody claims it, and you need not tel anyone you have it anyway, then it is legallish yours 😀

Cougar

What are our options?

To do what? It’s someone else’s land. What does the farmer have to say about it, do you know it’s not theirs?

footflaps

Torch it, whoever runs out screaming ‘my car!’ – will help you identify the owner…..

ElShalimo

Is it blue?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

None of the neighbours would buy a seven seater taxi for a resto project. Its not the farmers. They own tractors, combines and a landy. Seat alhambra not their style.

Council licensing sounds good, wasn’t on our radar, so ty for that one.

We want it removed, sorry for not being obvious. The driveway is one of those historical use precedents things and we have right of way access, but Joe bloggs has no right of anything on the land, leaving it there involved trespass and an amount of piss take, as nobody was asked permission. Plenty of laybyes nearby which would have done just fine.

kayak23

Is the meter running?
    Could be someone’s asked them to wait a bit.

timba
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/abandoned-vehicles-council-responsibilities
    Job for the local council, even on private land

Rich_s

Cougar

We want it removed, sorry for not being obvious. The driveway is one of those historical use precedents things and we have right of way access, but Joe bloggs has no right of anything on the land, leaving it there involved trespass and an amount of piss take, as nobody was asked permission

This may be true, and I don’t doubt that it’s annoying, but unless it’s actually blocking access then surely it’s still the landowner’s problem to resolve rather than yours?

Cougar

We want it removed, sorry for not being obvious. The driveway is one of those historical use precedents things and we have right of way access, but Joe bloggs has no right of anything on the land, leaving it there involved trespass and an amount of piss take, as nobody was asked permission

This may be true, and I don’t doubt that it’s annoying, but unless it’s actually blocking access then surely it’s still the landowner’s problem to resolve rather than yours? They report it to the council, the council can check legality with the DVLA.

simondbarnes

I’d just mind my own business and get on with my life.

Drac

I’d still be asking the land owner they may well know it’s there and the reason why.

sirromj

I think enough people have said ask the farmer so I’m going to suggest camouflaging it to be less of an eyesore. Sensible and pragmatic I feel.

jkomo

Are there chickens in it?

reeksy

Call a local scrap merchant and get them to tow it away. To avoid detection, seeing as you don’t own it, use a regional accent… apparently most people trust those with a scouse accent so pretend you’re Joey from Bread then you’re allowed to say “Greetings. I have a vehicle that needs to be removed from xyz.”

TheFlyingOx

Think outside the box. You’ve got a license to print money here, literally. Put the taxi ID plate on your car, park up at the nearest nightclub and have at it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Now, if it ws leaking some noxious fluid it would have to be dealt with smartly by some authority or other. It might ven be dangerous or explosive. 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

fake

Is it this taxi?

CheesybeanZ

Maybe the owner went for a walk but can’t get back because the farmer ploughed the fields?

👏

funkmasterp

Have you actually checked with the neighbours or just assumed it doesn’t belong to one of them? My neighbours occasionally do mad things I wouldn’t think they would.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Thanks to all who had sensible suggestions.

z1ppy

The land owner needs to do the work, as it’s trespass..

land owner options.. abating a nuisance

https://news.sky.com/story/farmer-cleared-by-court-after-using-forklift-tractor-to-flip-car-off-his-land-12532833

tomparkin

Think outside the box. You’ve got a license to print money here, literally. Put the taxi ID plate on your car, park up at the nearest nightclub and have at it.

What a ridiculous suggestion.

Why should OP put all that wear and tear on their own car when there’s a perfectly good Seat Alhambra ready to go?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

perfectly good Seat Alhambra

Not a combination of words I ever thought I’d hear

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Car dumped on private land outside house – WWSTD’ is closed to new replies.