• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • kelvin

Quick summary of today’s “rambunctious” speech…

If we let property developers (coincidently our donors) do what they want over the next ten years, it’ll help us deal with the economic impact of Coronavirus this year.

chestrockwell

Yep, then followed it up with Nimby’s are just going to have to put up with it when they bulldoze brown field ‘and other’ sites.

DezB
    Free Member

All I heard was some utter bollocks about taking a big pot of Major Tom’s 100 year old sweat from prancing round his garden, mixing it with the bravejuice from the population and feeding it to the NHS. Something surreal like that anyway. Rousing. Most rousing.
    What a ****.

mrsheen
    Free Member

“Down with sticks and up with bricks
    In with boots and up with roots
    It’s in with suits and new recruits
    It’s build, it’s build”

binners

The total amount he’s announced for infrastructure investment is just a bad morning in the office for Chris Grayling

masterdabber
    Free Member

What do any words coming out of Johnson’s mouth mean…. precisely F*** All.

He isn’t capable of doing anything other than speak and he does that ineffectually and incoherently. And that’s on a good day.

dudeofdoom

Any bridges in that speech ?

crazy-legs

Any bridges in that speech ?

Everything. Build a vast pile of random shit, quickly and without the proper checks and balances because “economy”.
    More roads is always an easy announcement. Climate crisis be damned, we have an economy to get going here!

onehundredthidiot

Don’t forget being favourable with taxing to allow it to happen.

chestrockwell

Said on the radio that the money set aside for roads will build three miles of motorway. Also said the increased % of GDP to be spent in half what Germany have committed to.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

More roads is always an easy announcement.

Can we make them garden roads?

It would save all that hassle of making something from tarmac and stuff.

I expect Boris could easily find a mate who was willing to pretend to be a construction contractor who would trouser the money in return for a large bung back to Boris, he seems like the sort of man who has mates like that coming out of his ears.

dudeofdoom

Bungs are crude, seat on the board for few 100k for a few hours ‘work’ a month 🙂
    (After retirement of course.)

Harry_the_Spider

They are spunking £340m on the motorway junction near me. The junction that I used to drive across on my daily commute without any significant bother. Some days there was a risk of a 5 minute delay. On those day’s I’d set off 5 minutes early.

£340m on one motorway junction.

£340,000,000.

binners

They may have finished it by 2035 if the other work on the M60 is anything to go by

Klunk
    Free Member

going all “Roosevelt” doesn’t bode well, the World was dragged out of the great depression by tooling up for world war 2.

kelvin

He’s not going FDR, he’s just re-announcing a reasonable size capital spending project that plays well to the “new Tory” voters he won over last year. It’s nothing like the scale of either of FDR’s plans, and isn’t targeted at creating jobs, it isn’t enshrining workers rights, it isn’t about building a safety net for people without secure employment… it’s targeted at companies who’ve paid for this government and expect to be looked after by it.

Klunk
    Free Member

and yet i managed to say all that with a pair of “” 😉

binners

Marina Hyde nails it once again

Stand aside, everyone: the Conservative cowboy builders are back on the job

As currently announced, Johnson’s “new deal” is just over 0.6% of the spend of Roosevelt’s New Deal, which is perhaps why he’s focused on upgrading the A15 in the Humber area rather than building the equivalent of the Lincoln Tunnel. He can’t build you a Hoover Dam, but he can probably run to a Hoover. Of course, one doesn’t expect accurate historical references from the prime minister, who is 0.6% as clever as he thinks he is.

amodicumofgnar

Maybe the lectern notice should have read: Bish – Bash – Bosh

The if you’re in a whole keep digging bit that get’s me; I’m awaiting the claim it’s a trade tunnel to Australia.

Klunk
    Free Member

this response to the Marina Hyde piece seems apt.

“In politics stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

though he probably didn’t say in english!

amodicumofgnar

If we let property developers (coincidently our donors) do what they want over the next ten years, it’ll help us deal with the economic impact of Coronavirus this year.

Unfortunately they were never going to go down the route of securing building trade jobs and social housing by pushing that rather than just having us end up more mini me mansion alikes on increasingly smaller plots.

How many of these things are actually new projects? I’m guessing you don’t just knock up a road building project over night. I think they’ve already announced the A66 twice as investment guess third times a charm.

The schools investment sounded like a big figure but over ten years – how much is that actually going to be in years 8,9,10. Wasn’t it also about 20% of what has actually been identified as required to address years of under investment.

scotroutes

Nicola Sturgeon reckons it’s actually no new money at all.

For perspective, repairs to Westminster will cost at least £4bn.

Northwind

First rule of tory spending announcements isn’t it? Check how many times the same amount has already been announced, then check how many years it’s over, and when the funding starts.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s a bit….

amodicumofgnar

First rule of tory spending announcements isn’t it? Check how many times the same amount has already been announced, then check how many years it’s over, and when the funding starts.

Hadn’t Shelter flagged up the social housing budget was the same money but was now over 8 instead of 5 years.

@Klunk
    I had thought the same thing.

dannyh
    Free Member

Quick summary of today’s “rambunctious” speech…

If we let property developers (coincidently our donors) do what they want over the next ten years, it’ll help us deal with the economic impact of Coronavirus this year. And also hide a small part of the damage caused by No Deal Brexit on 31/12/20 whilst allowing our mates to trouser huge sums, just like we always wanted

You mostly nailed it, but I thought I could improve it. Like a hideous, out of character, gauche, postage stamps for gardens, crammed in, over-priced, Jerry built, housing development on the outskirts of a village with a tiny primary school, no bus service to speak of, two pubs and one shop.

The profiteering stupid ****.

stumpyjon

Maybe the lectern notice should have read: Bish – Bash – Bosh

Blah – Blah – Blah might have been more appropriate.

ctk
    Free Member

Is it pmqs tomorrow? Will SKS go after this? Seems like an open goal.

ctk
    Free Member

Would definitely use the H.O.P repair bill as a comparative.

binners

There’s no new money at all. He’s basically packaged up every infrastructure project they’ve got and sold It as a ‘New Deal’

****!

He must think we’ve all just fallen out of a ****ing tree

John Crace is always bang on with his analysis of Boris and Chums

dudeofdoom

There’s no new money at all. He’s basically packaged up every infrastructure project they’ve got and sold It as a ‘New Deal’

Yep it’s a good game he loves to keep playing, now about about those promised 40 hospitals.

colournoise

Must be bad if even the beeb are picking it apart…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/53236921?__twitter_impression=true

I’d been avoiding the Johnson for a while. When I saw him on the news I thought he really didn’t look at all well.

MoreCashThanDash

The Beebs Reality Check regularly pulls things apart, but they rarely give it any prominence, and when they do, they get pulled apart for anti-government propaganda. 🤷‍♂️

martinhutch

When I saw him on the news I thought he really didn’t look at all well.

“This week, I have mainly been bullshitting about infrastructure.”

binners

Heseltine is presently being interviewed on Five Live. As you can imagine, he is absolutely tearing apart Joris Bohnsons pathetic speech yesterday, his centralisation of power at number 10 and pointing out the utter madness of going ahead with Brexit and piling more economic misery on top of the devastation of Covid.

He’s correctly observing that they have learnt nothing from the 1980’s and we’re about to repeat the mistakes and return to the same levels of unemployment, and the same devastation in the same places.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’d been avoiding the Johnson for a while. When I saw him on the news I thought he really didn’t look at all well

I can’t bear to look at him or even listen to his voice, quite apart from the vapid mealy mouthed nonsense he spouts, his plummy affectations and received pronunciation makes me feel sick; a constant reminder that we ve not progressed at all and the upper class are still lording it up over us

And his pasty fat face disgusts me, he’s a very odd man, he looks increasingly unhinged; like an Oxford footlights Benny hill impersonator and extra from one flew over the cuckoo’s nest. That he’s ostensibly leading the country is deeply shameful and profoundly embarrassing.

No I couldn’t sit through one of his speeches, even if it’s just hate watching or seeing him flounder when a police cadet faints behind him. We all know he’s going to fall flat on his fat face politically but that’s scant compensation for the pulverised country we ll be stuck with

fingerbang
    Free Member

He reminds me of Mungo from blazing saddles, although he doesn’t have the strength to knock out a horse, or even complete a press up. Fat knacker

FB-ATB

So Heseltine thinks the Tory govt actions in the 80s were a mistake? Didn’t seem too concerned at the time did he?

Re the FDR new deal- my economics & history memory is a bit vague after 30+ years, but I think although it got people working in the short term in the US, the UK’s approach to economic stimulus in the early 1930s gave it a better recovery than the US. The UK didn’t spend on infrastructure projects, but reduced taxes etc to encourage private sector growth.

he looks increasingly unhinged;

There might be something in that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53081022

“It’s clear now that this virus does cause problems in the brain whereas initially we thought it was all about the lungs. ”

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.