• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 16,321 through 16,360 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • frankconway

My prediction was spot on.
    Sunak will be annointed on Monday.
    The chill winds of austerity will soon be blowing very strongly.
    Likely to be received positively by the market; Asian markets open in about 3 hours.
    johnson’s statement is a pathetic litany.

Twodogs

Can we just get this thread closed and confine him to history as the 2nd worst (?) PM in history

ernielynch

Don’t assume that Johnson ever intended to throw his hat into the contest. To have ruled himself out at the very start it would have done him no favours, as far as he is concerned.

I suspect that he did have the 102 nominations claimed, presumably Graham Brady will reveal the numbers tomorrow, I can’t see why he wouldn’t. If it had gone to the members there is a very good chance that he would have won. I doubt that he wanted the job right now.

Edit: It should be remembered that Johnson has previously pulled out of a Tory leadership contest when it was fairly advanced he subsequently went on to win a later leadership contest.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

grahamt1980

I thought johnson’s statement was clearly trying to put the boot into the others. Basically saying it was their fault because they wouldn’t work with him.
    Nice way to set the membership against the new leader, perpetuating the stab in the back narrative

kimbers

I suspect that he did have the 102 nominations claimed

I suspect that he did not and that, as ever Johnson & Co were lying

martinhutch

Can we just get this thread closed and confine him to history as the 2nd worst (?) PM in history

Can we wait just until he’s been censured by the Standards and Privileges Committee, suspended from the Commons and recalled by his constituency to face a by-election?

And 2nd worst? Doesn’t Cameron even get a look-in?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So niaive 🙁

Don’t assume that Johnson ever intended to throw his hat into the contest. To have ruled himself out at the very start it would have done him no favours, as far as he is concerned.

I suspect that he did have the 102 nominations claimed, presumably Graham Brady will reveal the numbers tomorrow, I can’t see why he wouldn’t. If it had gone to the members there is a very good chance that he would have won. I doubt that he wanted the job right now.

Edit: It should be remembered that Johnson has previously pulled out of a Tory leadership contest when it was fairly advanced he subsequently went on to win a later leadership contest.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

Sadly this

Twodogs

presumably Graham Brady will reveal the numbers tomorrow

Well he might, but as Johnson didn’t actually formally declare he was running, his numbers will be zero.

Twodogs

I suspect that he did have the 102 nominations claimed,

Also, there’s a lot of people far better placed than you or I to know, who believe he was nowhere near the required number.

bruneep

Ha ha ha

Kryton57

He’s a sychophantic liar – he never had the votes to win and therefore chose to announce he’s standing down because its the best thing for the country.

It bollocks, he knew he was going to lose but had to stroke his ego.

kimbers

The toys being thrown by Pro johnson/brexit twitter types right now are hilarious

gauss1777
    Free Member

I suspect that he did have the 102 nominations claimed

I suspect that he did not and that, as ever Johnson & Co were lying

Agreed!

Let’s have a general election asap. There has been a lot of talk about no candidate being able to unite the party – let’s hope Sunak lasts less time than Truss!!

shermer75
    Free Member

I have literally no idea if that’s the last we’ve seen of Boris or if he’ll be back after Sunak has lost the next election

FB-ATB

So Rishi wants to be PM so he can “fix the economy”, has no-one pointed out to him that the Tories have been in charge for 12 years (2 of which he was Chancellor)? So why didn’t they fix it before?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Given he’s a lying, cheating shitebag I find it impossible to believe he had 102 nominations. I think him and his team have spent the day trying to round up the numbers and realised the games up. Rather than be found out tomorrow and humiliated he’s thrown his toys out now.

ernielynch

Also, there’s a lot of people far better placed than you or I to know, who believe he was nowhere near the required number.

Ah, I haven’t heard that but fair enough if that is the case. I’m a little surprised though as although he is clearly a divisive figure among the PCP it is also clear that he still has significant support, including among some senior MPs and Tory ministers.

shermer75
    Free Member

. I think him and his team have spent the day trying to round up the numbers and realised the games up. Rather than be found out tomorrow and humiliated he’s thrown his toys out now

I don’t you’ll find many people disagreeing with you here!

jam-bo

Is that two flushes or three now…

crazy-legs

Wonder if Sunak will try and keep him onside for a bit? Maybe make BJ Foreign Secretary or something on the grounds that at least he might play Team Tory for a bit.

Or if he’ll just disappear off on holiday again and spend his time pointing out how wonderful he’d have been as PM and what a shit job Sunak is making of it all…? BJ could be quite damaging from the sidelines, he’s a spiteful little shit.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Minister of Brexit opportunities vacancy needs applicants.

jekkyl

Who’s Sunak gonna make Chancellor?

FB-ATB

he still has significant support, including among some senior MPs and Tory ministers.

Or they thought if he gets the 100 votes it’s the best way to keep/ get a job as I expect had it gone to the party member vote he’d have beaten Rishi.

FB-ATB

I can’t see the ERG/ Britannia Unchained mob getting behind Rishi as they thought he went too far with furlough and putting taxes up

shermer75
    Free Member

Who’s Sunak gonna make Chancellor?

I reckon he’ll keep Hunt

shermer75
    Free Member

Wonder if Sunak will try and keep him onside for a bit? Maybe make BJ Foreign Secretary or something on the grounds that at least he might play Team Tory for a bit

I can’t see the ERG/ Britannia Unchained mob getting behind Rishi as they thought he went too far with furlough and putting taxes up

Boris only got around 52 endorsements, the Tories have a majority of 60, hopefully Sunak will be able to tell Johnson and the right wing loonies to do one

falkirk-mark

So the ERG need to decide whether they are actually tories or they will need to destroy the party and let labour in ball is now in Steve (the hardman) Bakers court

cookeaa

Wonder if Sunak will try and keep him onside for a bit? Maybe make BJ Foreign Secretary or something on the grounds that at least he might play Team Tory for a bit.

May did that, didn’t seem to do her any good TBH. The best way to handle Boris is to starve him of influence and publicity.

Stick him on the back benches, feed extra compromat to the standards committee, set the whips on him if he talks to the press or even vaguely steps out of line, basically make being an MP no fun for him so he **** off and joins GB news or whatever…

binners

So he had 102 nominations but has declined to stand?

Yeah, right.

Does anyone sentient actually believe that Shite?

kelvin

Do you doubt his honesty?

inkster
    Free Member

“Stick him on the back benches, feed extra compromat to the standards committee, set the whips on him if he talks to the press or even vaguely steps out of line”

Do to Johnson what Starmer did to Corbyn.

ernielynch

can’t see the ERG/ Britannia Unchained mob getting behind Rishi as they thought he went too far with furlough and putting taxes up

This is what I don’t understand, it’s not the first time that I have seen sentiments along those lines, ie, he was pursuing his own policies when he was Chancellor.

When Kwasi Kwarteng was Chancellor, we are told, he was pursuing Liz Truss’s economic policies, but when Rishi Sunak was Chancellor he wasn’t pursuing Boris Johnson’s policies.

Plenty of those on the hard-right of the Tory Party publicly threw their weight behind Sunak, off the top of my head Suella Braverman, Steve Baker, and Kemi Badenoch.

The idea that Sunak is on the left of the Tory Party is frankly bizarre. He doesn’t want to increase taxation to pump money into public services, like Thatcher he wants increase taxation and slash public services.

“We inherited a bunch of formulas from Labour that shoved all the funding into deprived urban areas and that needed to be undone. I started the work of undoing that.” – Rishi Sunak

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/margaret-thatcher-conservative-taxes-budget_n_3037728

….revolutionized the UK economy through free-market policies that included cuts to the British welfare state…….she was willing to raise taxes to achieve that goal.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Rishi will cut services not taxes, he will raise pensions and benefits but cap/cut with a vengeance to demonstrate fiscal responsibility.

Personal allowances and tax bands will be frozen, next year when inflation drops all public sector salaries will be frozen along with benefits (not pensions)

He will enable stealth tax (VAT maybe excise duty) he will boil the economic Frog.

dudeofdoom

Yep, I don’t see Rishi Rich being much of a saviour for us(well you) and we’ve a winter to go thru 🙁

BJ would be insane to set into the ring now,None of them have any thing to offer its just the timing of the bad luck.

Another lucky player in game of PM gets to sit on the throne.

dudeofdoom

Furloughs an odd one, no way would any of them really want do it, but there would have been no economy left if they hadn’t bailed it and I reckon it would have got nasty, he was just the man in the frame who had to front it regardless of his opinion.

nickc

So he had 102 nominations but has declined to stand?

indeed, “I’ve a winning lottery ticket, but I’ve ripped it up, as now is not the time to win millions” said no one ever, especially Johnson.

MoreCashThanDash

Do you doubt his honesty?

I properly laughed at that.

dudeofdoom

Its a poisoned chalice thou especially after TrussOnomics made it even a bigger mess, he may as well sit it out, its not like he would bring anything new to the table and there is still 2 more years to go on this ride.

It’s just too early for BJ to ride in and save us from reality, letting them make it worse and have to deal with the truss mess suits his agenda and giving people longer to forget his sins and accept him back with rose tinted memories.

Klunk
    Free Member

some interesting and damning analysis on bbc breakfast (some guy from marlborough I didn’t catch his name) basically saying that’s it it’s over for Johnson now, even if Sunak?Mordant lose the next election He’s not going to do the hard yards of opposition for 5-10 years.

Will Walden Johnsons former communications director.

Viewing 40 posts - 16,321 through 16,360 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.