• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 16,281 through 16,320 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • grahamt1980

I don’t think he can delay the investigation, it doesn’t answer to him, it answers to parliament.
    Plus if he does try to interfere what are the chances the whole lot of evidence gets leaked

binners

Heres an interesting list of the Tory MPs who resigned to bring him down and what they said about him at the time, and then the statements they’re making now, assuring him of their nominations and their support

Black is white. Up is down. Night is day…

convert

Johnson (please, please all stop calling the **** ‘Boris’ like he’s some sort of lovable rogue that’s everybody’s best mate – that’s what got us into this situation) is a **** – cut him in half (it would take quite the knife) and it would say that all the way through. Thing is – he is what he is – a shit bag of the highest order. He always was a ****, way before he was a public figure, and he’ll remain a **** to the day he dies. No, the truly horrific part of this whole current narrative is not Johnston but the slimey arsewipes that want him back. Not for the good of the country, not because they see his acumen and incredible intellect as the the only way to save the nation from financial disaster but because they represent a constituency of morons that might just vote for him (clearly that’s not how the system works…but it’s how the system works) to keep them in a job.

If he gets back in……there are 60 ministers and parliamentary private secretaries that resigned their positions in order to ease him out – when that was the thing to do to keep their job and maybe, just maybe, a whiff of moral consciousness overcame them for a brief moment. Every single one of them that accepts a role in a new Johnson government deserve everything coming their way. Personal and profession hounding turned up to 11. They have so many opportunities between now and then to not cross that line that if they do I see no reason why they should not be targets of extreme vilification.

edit – timely list from Binner’s to identify those worthy of vilification.

In other news – assuming you want a non tory government next time we get a say – who is best PM to get us there without completely **** us all over in the meantime? I thought Truss could have been that person, but clearly that was a step too far into the abyss.

ernielynch

then calls an election after a month of boosterism?

That might be a good strategy under different circumstances but currently the Labour lead in the polls are simply to great to be overcome in a month.

The last 10 opinion polls have given Labour more than half of the total vote. The latest YouGov poll gives Labour a 37% lead and puts the Tories on 19%

The Tories are certain to lose any general election any time soon whoever the Tory leader. And imo they will almost certainly lose in 2 years time. Things can only get worse.

martinhutch

That might be a good strategy under different circumstances but currently the Labour lead in the polls are simply to great to be overcome in a month.

Who said anything about overcoming them? This is about minimising the losses. Maybe Boris could get the incoming Labour majority down to two figures.

Who knows? Trying to second-guess these **** is almost impossible. It’s equally possible the party is doing this because it is just addicted to all the late night meetings and febrile plotting and backstabbing.

I don’t think he can delay the investigation, it doesn’t answer to him, it answers to parliament.

Not the investigation, but Parliamentary votes can control the timing of any debate/sanction. Those with long memories may remember that the **** managed to get Parliament pro-rogued when it suited him. He just fends it off for a few weeks and then dissolves Parliament for a GE.

amodicumofgnar

He’s also desperately insecure and needs constant affirmation of his own wonderfulness

Doesn’t bode well for assembling a government of all the talents. By it’s very nature the best cabinet to see us out of this (admittedly it’s thin pickings) would by it’s very nature be the worst for Johnson’s ego.

Atleast Putin will be happy the UK is in convulsions again.

crazy-legs

Interesting read…

chewkw
    Free Member

If Boris becomes PM again the energy crisis will probably continue for a while because of his support for sanctions. He will probably be very vocal again on this front to deflect his bad decision. I doubt Sunak or Mordaunt will have the guts to deal with the sanctions but simply to sweep it under the carpet or let it go quietly …

Therefore, whoever become the PM in the next GE will need to find ways to deal with the energy crisis, assuming the sanctions are still in place. The rest of the issues are secondary.

binners

None of the Tory contenders will do a thing about the energy needs of this country. They haven’t for the last 12 years so they’re not about to start now

The Tory membership hate renewables so that won’t be happening and fracking and the North Sea licences are a pointless distraction rather than any realistic attempt to actually do something serious about it

Any price caps will be the same as Trusses, simply underwriting the profiteering of energy companies with taxpayers money

chewkw
    Free Member

None of the Tory contenders will do a thing about the energy needs of this country. They haven’t for the last 12 years so they’re not about to start now

The energy crisis is at the top of list now and unavoidable.
    I don’t see any immediate solution other than “buying” time by paying off (subsidies the users) energy firms that are still able to supply them, while finding a solution.
    Even if heavy investment is poured into creating self sufficient energy supply immediately that will take a while. (how long does it take to build nuclear plant?) While the rest of renewable energy is not here nor there other than putting pressure onto the masses, which of course will backfire as well.

binners

Probably a subject for a different thread

One things for sure… Boris Johnson isn’t trying to get back into number ten so that he can solve the energy crisis and the NIMBYism of the Tory faithful won’t allow for any realistic solutions

ernielynch

Who said anything about overcoming them? This is about minimising the losses. Maybe Boris could get the incoming Labour majority down to two figures.

It would be damn sporting of Boris if he were to selflessly sacrifice himself for the good of the party, might say a Tory loyalist.

However I doubt whether Johnson’s ego would allow him to contemplate considering losing a general election not too badly as a proud achievement.

Twodogs

I believe he can, by asking the Commons to vote on a motion “unrefering” himself to the committee. He’d have to 3 line whip his MPs to win and even then there’s still some who might have some principles and risk losing the whip….

vinnyeh

Does anyone still believe that he’ll have 100 backers by tomorrow? There’s no reason to hold back for anyone thinking of supporting him, unless they’re hedging their bets and think they’ve a chance of securing a cabinet job in whichever regime wins. Johnson knows that momentum builds, so if he’s not been able to persuade people to publicly back him by now, they’re not going to declare for him tomorrow morning- if they supported him they’d be public by now. Ergo, he won’t make 100, and will skulk off without having ever publicly asserted he was intending to contest.

Which only goes to show it’s just about the ego, not the party or the country. **** loser.

grahamt1980

@Twodogs

If he wins and becomes pm again there will be a huge amount of the party mp’s that didn’t back him and would have nothing to lose other than getting shot of him properly by refusing to support any motion like that.
    Plus it would be unbelievably unpopular and the headlines will push the tories even further behind as that would be seen as being worse than the paterson thing.
    I think we will have an election either way

theotherjonv

I’m suspecting everyone has pulled out and is now letting him a free run at it.

At least, that’s what the end of days style thunder and lightning outside feels like…….

martinhutch

It would be damn sporting of Boris if he were to selflessly sacrifice himself for the good of the party, might say a Tory loyalist.

However I doubt whether Johnson’s ego would allow him to contemplate considering losing a general election not too badly as a proud achievement.

You’re right, trying to work out why the hell he is doing this leads to madness. It defies all logic.

At the moment no-one has a clue whether he genuinely wants the job, is trying to knife Rishi, or just getting his ego stroked and currently preparing to pull the rug out in a comedy fashion under the dozens of mug MPs who’ve lined up to endorse him.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Loved this on twitter::

He’s incapable of pulling out, hence his 7 kids (or whatever it is)

ernielynch

At the moment no-one has a clue whether he genuinely wants the job, is trying to knife Rishi, or just getting his ego stroked and currently preparing to pull the rug out in a comedy fashion under the dozens of mug MPs who’ve lined up to endorse him.

It keeps people talking about him, if he had ruled himself out we wouldn’t still be talking about him.

Even if he has already decided to throw his hat in the ring tomorrow morning keeping everyone guessing until the last minute, will he won’t he, is all part of the Boris drama.

It inflates his importance, ever the showman he needs to be in the limelight, centre stage. It is a strategy that has served him well through life.

Having said that it is at least a persona which he himself created, going back to his Eton College days apparently.

His rival however has had to use his considerable wealth to purchased his image and persona, tailored for his own personal needs, from a professional image-maker:

https://www.tatler.com/article/who-is-cass-horowitz-rishi-sunak-special-advisor-social-media-guru

Meet Cass Horowitz: The man behind Rishi Sunak ‘the brand’

One thing’s for certain, he’s doing a slick job marketing Rishi. The latest YouGov poll shows by 59 per cent to 11 per cent that people think Mr Sunak is doing a good job, apparently the best rating for a chancellor since Gordon Brown

ernielynch

Johnson is out.

Sunak is our next PM

grahamt1980

Any reference for that?

martinhutch

And…he’s pulled out!

**** hilarious, show me the looks on his supporters’ faces, particularly JRM!

Yes, he deffo got 102 supporters…

tjagain

Where do you get that from?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

#keepborisout \o/

Kryton57

Unless, he’s a grievance to Sunak and he convinces people to get behind Mourdant. There’s 17hrs to go yet. But yes that looks likely.

monkeyboyjc

Looks like I’m not moving to Scotland….. Happy, and sad….

falkirk-mark

My mrs got a notification on her phone saying he was out, dunno where it was from

bigdaddy

Thank god for that…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Shit worst possible outc8me. He’s nowhere near as stupid as I had hoped.
    Bastard has kept his powder dry for another day. He knows the next months are going to be an absolute carcrash and is keeping back so he can ride in and save us later on.
    I was hoping he’d win and completely bury himself

martinhutch

Thank god for that…

Wait until you see what our new PM has in store before you breathe too big a sigh of relief. He may actually be worse when it comes to an appetite for austerity.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/05/video-emerges-of-rishi-sunak-admitting-to-taking-money-from-deprived-areas

thegeneralist
    Free Member

This is a bad thing, a really really bad thing

grahamt1980

Am both sad and happy.
    Rishi won’t keep the tories together anyway, but i would have loved to see a sitting prime minister get suspended/recalled and then lose his seat.

salad_dodger

BBC news reporting…

MoreCashThanDash

On the Beeb 👍

Sunak for PM, Mordant as deputy, Hunt as Chancellor was what I was told when Truss resigned

doomanic

Boris pulling out? That must be a first!

salad_dodger

I hope they’ll publish a list of the 102 backers he allegedly had.

ernielynch

He’s nowhere near as stupid as I had hoped.
    Bastard has kept his powder dry for another day

Yup, he probably knew days ago that he would pull out at the last minute. He needed the drama and people begging him to stand.

And he’s doing it all for Party unity! Yeah right.

He’s not standing now because he doesn’t want to be the one who loses the next general election.

He may actually be worse when it comes to an appetite for austerity.

Definitely imo**. I expect Sunak to be crowned on Monday, I doubt that Penny Mordaunt will get the hundred nominations needed.

Edit: ** I really hope that I am wrong. On the bright side I believe that Sunak will continue to keep the Tories on a historically low level of public support. And I don’t know how he will resist the call for an early general election.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Must be an earlier flight back to the Bahamas tmrw morning or something so he can keep on’serving his constituents ‘ from the beach.

Either he didn’t have the numbers or someone like Brady has clearly read him the memo about not rocking the boat and the damage he’d likely do if he came in then was promptly turfed out by the standards committee.

Win win really for him, unfortunately. He can just sit on the sidelines now when the Tories get stuffed at the election saying only he could have sorted it, whist getting all those highly paid speaking gigs in the meantime.

pk13

Que the Tory members going batshit mental…
    Bozo clearly never got the 100

Viewing 40 posts - 16,281 through 16,320 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.