Home Forums Bike Forum Boardman cx comp

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Boardman cx comp
  • mm93
    Free Member

I started a thread on here about the gt grade gravel bike the other day and a few people commented that it was more towards the roadie side with poor clearance for wider off road tyres which put me off a bit.
    Whilst browsing today I stumbled across halfords cx comp with 20% off so currently £520 or around £470 if I join British cycling thing.It has Sora gears,cable disc brakes and mavic rims with 38mm tyres.Is there any reason not to buy it at that price?

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I’ve just reserved one at my local Halfords. The aluminium fork is the only downside I can see. It should be great for the moment, I can’t see anything else for a similar price.

twonks

I have a 2014 CX comp and now only use it for circuit riding as a means to get fitter (with 28mm slicks) as I feel it was not really much good at any one thing that my other bikes could do. (apart from out and out road riding with slicks)

It is quite heavy and as a gravel / tow path / odd saunt through the woods, it feels initially fast but I think only because it is rigid.

Looking at times and going by feel, I am quite a bit faster on my lighter hard tail – but then again the HT cost considerably more.

Suppose it depends on what other bikes you have. If you have good quality mtbs and want to do a bit on the road, I’d get a road bike.

This is why I’ve bought a s/h road bike from here and am thinking about selling my CX.

mattsccm
    Free Member

See a few actually racing. Good starter bike.

robbo1234biking
    Free Member

Just got one through bike to work! If I had known the discount was coming up it wouldn’t have been worth it but oh well! Only been out for a very quick spin on it last night but have a 20 mile ride planned for tomorrow to properly christen it. Will report back then but seemed good when I rode it yesterday but I am going from a steel 9 year old on one 456 so the weight is a lot less and suited to the road better.

mm93
    Free Member

Thanks,looking forward to your thoughts Robbo.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

had one for 2/3 yrs now , only really use it for commuting (10 miles each way on tow path) to be honest it gets abused very rarely cleaned and lubed but all ive had to do in over 3000 mile is fit a chain and a cassette its great value for money ,

robbo1234biking
    Free Member

Well I was really impressed with it. Made my rod ride really enjoyable. Some of the roads were gravel tracks and did four miles along a gravelly disused railway line. Handled well and potholes etc weren’t a problem. Gears weren’t set up well so on the first hill started jumping. A quick adjustment though got them sorted out. The front brake is rubbing a bit as well – have tried adjusting but can’t seem to get it sorted. Will have to google the best way to adjust them later as only one piston moves. Weakest part is probably the drive train which works fine but does feel a bit clunky. I would def recommend getting one for the price they are at.

mm93
    Free Member

Great, glad you enjoyed it, going to pull the trigger on either the Boardman or the tiagra GT grade later (I think LOL) pulling my hair out trying to make a decision!

wait4me

If the Team is discounted too and you can stretch to it, I’d highly recommend. With BC discount got mine for circa £700. Hydro, carbon fork and 1*11. I’ve been really impressed. It’s a fun bike for what I’m using if for; crappy lanes and light off road.

mm93
    Free Member

No discount on the team unfortunately, still priced at a grand . Probably a good thing really as that would make my decision even more difficult . LOL

mm93
    Free Member

I have reserved one now, at 5’10 and 32″ inseam halfords website puts me firmly on a large 55.5cm,trouble is the boardman website puts me firmly on a medium 53cm!
    I have reserved the 55.5 but having second thoughts now.What size are you guys riding ?

robbo1234biking
    Free Member

I’m 5’8 and went with Boardman small. I am happy with the fit. I wouldn’t want the step over height to be any higher! Not sure if I need slightly wider bars but will see how it goes. I am only a 29″ leg though so short legs long body (ish).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@mm93 If the geometry is the same as the Boardman Team CX, you should find the large frame fits good, I’m 5’10” with ~32.5″ cycling inseam.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Boardman cx comp’ is closed to new replies.