Home Forums Bike Forum Bivvy bags: Alpkit Hunka or Hunka XL?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bivvy bags: Alpkit Hunka or Hunka XL?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Toying with the idea of giving this bivvy lark a go, need a cheap bivvy bag to try it out, so the Alpkit hunkas seem to fit the bill.

I’m 6’3″ medium build – would the normal sized Hunka be comfotable for me, or would I do better to go with the XL?

Alternatively, any other suggestions for cheapo bivy bags would be gratefully recieved!

Cheers!

mikeclarke
    Free Member

I had one of these for awhile im 5-8 the normal one was fine i would say tho get the xl as your taller. They are good for the price we did a bivvy on the berwyns with a micro tarp over our heads. Now i use a terra nova laser the benefits of a tent and it packs down to nothing!! A bivvy is great as long as the bloody midges arent about…

Nick

Terra Nova Laser is a shitload of money compared to a bivvy bag.

I’m 5’11 and I’m glad I didn’t get a regular Hunka. The XL kept my down bag nice and dry on the WRT and I didn’t feel restricted at all.

TheBrick
    Free Member

6′ 2″ slim have a regular (as the xl did nit exist when I bought it) and it is tight. I think I only get away with it as I’m slim so can gain a little length. Def go large.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

And boy was it wet on the WRT great riding though, im glad i wasnt in a hunka on the sunday night though coz the midges were out in force

RustySpanner

I’m 5 foot 6 and pretty much spherical. 🙂
    I went for the XL for a bit more wriggle room, well worth it.

It’s not as if the extra material is really going to weigh you down.

Superb bag for the money BTW.

el_boufador

Thanks all.

As an aside, what sleeping bag are people using for summer nights? I have an old 3 season Field and Trek down bag (700 fil power) but think it may be a bit heavy.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The cheaper bivi bags like the Alpkit have a simple drawcord closure, rather than more sophisticated design combinations of zips and flaps of the more expensive bags. So, in addition to you being tall and fitting in the bag, you may need to retreat a bit more inside the bag in bad weather 🙂 , also with bigger bags you can stash some kit inside the bag with you, that you don’t want to get wet. go for the bigger bag.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Hunka XL is great. Have one myself and have used it in all conditions, would always suggest the xl so you have more room for stashing things to be dry inside. It’s good to have wriggle room too 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bivvy bags: Alpkit Hunka or Hunka XL?’ is closed to new replies.