Home Forums Bike Forum anyone use a road bike saddle on their mtb?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • anyone use a road bike saddle on their mtb?
  • racefaceec90

i read about the new ergon sm saddles and the rave reviews they have got by people so i thought when i had the cash i would treat my arse to one of their saddles.

i saw that their carbon railed one was on sale on amazon,and said to myself why not my sync deserves it (along with my rear end 👍

it wasn’t until i had ordered it did i realize it was their road bike version (i know i’m an idiot lol).

the thing is though i reckon it will suit me and my riding as i mostly sit down anyways and am not an extreme rider or ride tech trails.

just wondering if anyone else has a road saddle on their mtb?

si77

Saddles are more arse specific than bike-type specific. Ride what feels comfortable.

tjagain

I didn’t even know there was a differnce! Goodness only knows if my bike seats are road or mtb!

funkmasterp

I’ve always been of the mind that a saddle is a saddle. It all depends on your arse.

taxi25
    Free Member

Only ever used generic saddles on or off road.

DezB
    Free Member

As long as you didn’t get one of these[/url]! Cos that would never work on normal mtb! :D

si77

Got me wondering if anyone makes elbow saddles?

(for those who don’t know the difference)

DT78
    Free Member

Serious answer.

Yes.

They break easier. I’ve broken 3 shells now on expensive road focused saddles so I’ve gone back to mtb SDG saddles, hoping they will last longer than a season or two.

avdave2

It’s not whether it’s a road saddle or not just whether it works for you on that particular bike. Just because a saddle works or doesn’t work for you on one bike doesn’t mean it will or won’t on another. I find the different riding position between my road and mountain bike means differing saddles work best.

funkmasterp

Which brand launched that ridiculous 29er specific saddle a couple of years ago? I’ve always found the SDG Bel Air works for me most of the time

lunge

Oh course, all saddles, road or off road, are Selle Italia Flites.

mcnultycop

Yes. Had a road bike fit and now use the same saddle in all bikes.

footflaps

Yep, Selle Italia SLR on my MTB….

Although I have snapped the rails on about four of them now….

My Steed, Scott Spark RC by Ben Freeman[/url], on Flickr

Bez

all saddles, road or off road, are Selle Italia Flites.

This.

It always makes me boggle when people talk about Brooks being great saddles once you’ve broken them in. I tried one once, it was like sitting on a housebrick. Why would I want to spend hour upon hour in agony just to break in every new saddle I buy? No thanks. Nigh on 30 years ago I bought my first Flite and spent a while breaking my arse in instead, and now I just buy an old Flite and it fits like a glove. An arse-shaped glove, obviously, but still.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

all saddles, road or off road, are Selle Italia Flites.

Selle Italia SLR here. The T1 version with the big fat nose preferred for mtbs (great for climbing).

Upright position on a Brompton needs something different though. WTB Pure on my commuter bikes….

stevehine

Just bought a classic Flite to put on my FlareMax; the WTB saddle it came with I just never quite got on with. SLR on my road bike; seems ok at the minute – which is a surprise.

Charge Spoon is a close second for comfort; but a flite is like putting on an old pair of shoes :)

bigblackshed

Saddles are whatever fits your arse.

I was a Spoon user for years until it got to the point of 10 minutes before I was in agony. I then measured my sit bones and discovered I have an extremely large arse and the Spoon was 20mm too narrow. Tried a Brooks Cambium in the correct size and it’s like sitting on a sofa in comparison.

I’ve since discovered that my favourite pair of bib shorts are the cause of the chaffing during the spring. I put an old pair of padded shorts on when it was too hot for bibs and the pad size and shape was massively different and almost invisible to my arse. No more chaffing.

Oh, and you don’t break in a Brooks leather saddle. You just ride it until your arse breaks in to the saddle.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I have had an Ergon SM saddle on back order for 2 months. I have given up waiting now and started to look for alternatives.

stevehine

just get one from Amazon ? who keeps you waiting for two months ?

Amazon

andrewh
    Free Member

Maybe, either that or I’ve got MTB saddles on my road bikes.
    3 MTBs, a road bike and a cross bike all with Flite SLRs. Commuter has something cheaper, TT bike has an SLR-TT

philjunior
    Free Member

Yes, SLR here too. **** knows which one now they’ve introduced the different widths though I did manage to wade through the crap and buy one last easter time that fits really nice.

kelron
    Free Member

I’d assume they’re made with differences in riding position in mind. Comfortable with your arse in the air on a road bike might not be the same as comfortable on an MTB when you’re only in the saddle going uphill.

But regardless, comfortable is comfortable. If you like the saddle you have you can ignore what it’s intended for.

iainc

ISM saddles on all 7 bikes, some road some MTB. All depends on your sitting position on the bike.

belugabob
    Free Member

Just use the saddle or saddles that suit your bum.

In my case, Madison Flux on both MTB and Road bike (harder wearing version of the charge spoon)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘anyone use a road bike saddle on their mtb?’ is closed to new replies.