Home Forums Chat Forum Amazon selling prefab “houses” for £20k…

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Amazon selling prefab “houses” for £20k…
  • cookeaa

Is this the video you watched OP?

Seems to suggest it’s a ISO container based fold out shed. Crap when compared to Sears kits from ~90 years ago.

But Probably fine if you want to plonk and Air B’n’B box in the corned of a field or have a garden office.

The idea of prefab housing appeals to me given the UK’s prevailing housing and COL crisis’.

The basic 1930s US concept of a prefabricated house kit has some real relevance today, but Amazon promoted sheds ain’t the same thing.

Edukator
    Free Member

Many French ski resort flats have those fibre-glass bathroom units, Alpin. There was one in the modern art section in Centre Pompidou the last time I walked around.

Poopscoop

cookeaa
    Is this the video you watched OP?

No, the one I saw was some random American guy. No idea why the video came up on my feed! I was interested as I had no idea Amazon were into this. I shouldn’t be surprised I suppose, they want to sell everything to everyone on the whole planet.

Sandwich

I’m just imagining my amazon driver dragging it down the driveway singlehandedly

You’ll be getting a card through the door “sorry you were out . . .” followed by hiring your own vehicle to collect it from the depot!

5lab
    Free Member

Those original sears homes are not pre fab in the modern sense of the word, they simply had the building materials pre cut to size (not assembled together). There’s also a lot of survivor bias going on, so the remaining houses are pretty nice.

Prefabs work well for slotting in a single house, but for a mass development barrats and co are surprisingly efficient to build despite all being built on site.

dovebiker

I’ve stayed in multi-story hotels in Japan where the every room was a pre-assembled module – this included the bed, wardrobe and shower.

alpin
    Free Member

but for a mass development barrats and co are surprisingly efficient to build despite all being built on site.

Yeah, but the quality is shit…. I should know, I used to build them…. 🤣

cookeaa

I think the thing is when people talk about prefabs (in the UK) they’ve probably got more of a ‘Grand designs’ inspired, Huf Haus, on a nice secluded rural plot sort of image in their head, the reality is most people can’t actually afford the price tag for a well made, off-site manufactured timber frame structure, plus the site, services, planning permission and labour to “just chuck it up”…

The interest in ISO based tiny homes is all about affordability, the main thing that is missing from most housing options today.

avdave2

I’ve stayed in multi-story hotels in Japan where the every room was a pre-assembled module – this included the bed, wardrobe and shower.

Halls of residence have been built the same way, Ive stayed in some on conferences years ago and saw more being built

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.