• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • Del

On corruption – there is no doubt at all that the majority of MPs are corrupt crooks

Does that include the SNP representatives, just out of interest? Or the greens?

lunge

In my office there is a small group of young folk, 25 – 30 years old, working class, earn well, slightly right leaning but generally anti-brexit and on no way Tory supporters. They are not in any way politically engaged but with throw the odd word in. They are, I suspect, like a lot of people around the country who don’t engage on political threads on STW.

There view?
    “Labour would win this election if they didn’t have that moron Corbyn in charge.”
    “yes, it’s a good job Abbot is not anywhere near the party now”
    “what, she is?!”
    “haha, no chance then, Bozza will walk it”

And you know what, I think they’re right.

AlexSimon

But is Corbyn a moron? Where did they get the idea that he was?
    If Labour chose someone else and they had the same policies, would they be branded a moron too?

perchypanther
    Free Member

But is Corbyn a moron?

Who’s this bloke I asked her
    Cooooorbyn , she replied
    Not THAT puff, I said dismayed
    Yes but he’s no puff she cried

(He’s more of a man than you’ll ever be)

binners

I thought the under 30 age group was where the Corbyn fan club was supposed to be located?

If he can’t get that age group to vote for him, then the result does seem like a foregone conclusion.

A hard Brexit and 5 years of Boris it is then

dogbone

Most my friends are holding their noses and voting Labour (with some Green). We hate that Magic Grandad will count it was a vote for him, but we actually have some very good local Labour MPs.

tjagain

Del

Subscriber

On corruption – there is no doubt at all that the majority of MPs are corrupt crooks

Does that include the SNP representatives, just out of interest? Or the greens?

There is certainly some dodgy doings amongst the SNP including the old revolving door. My guess would be on a par with the recent labour intake ie much less so than the tories. so the usual bungs of a few thousand here and there, the odd bit of fraudulent expenses. Not the massive bribes of tens of thousands or millions that old school labour and the tories were up to

Greens I think are pretty clean.

tjagain

Holyrood is cleaner but still far from clean

Del

Probably fair

rone

But is Corbyn a moron? Where did they get the idea that he was?

Mainly from being told he’s an idiot rather than looking at stuff themselves.

kelvin

Repeat after me… “Corbyn and his Straight Left team are not the problem… the perception people have of them is.

ENGAGE REALITY FILTERS

Look, Corbyn can not rely on Milne & Murray to run things and not expect to look like a puppet flapping around in the wind while the hard left millionaires pull his strings. There are lots of good brains in the Labour movement he could have used, rather than have a communist resign his party to come over and help. The policies in the manifesto should be being welcomed across society, they are only “left wing” in the way that the leading European countries are left wing… but people have to trust the leader to vote for the party… and people do not trust Corbyn or his core team.

Anyway… vote Labour… the alternative is a metaphorical kick in the balls for all of us.

binners

In the same way, going on about workers rights, increased trade union negotiating power and workers representation on boards is probably fine in most peoples minds. In theory. Then they take one look at Len McClusky and realise that what that actually means is handing loads of power over to the likes of him. And they know exactly what he’ll do with it

A man who recently gave an interview praising Derek Hatton and the Militant Tendency and going all misty-eyed over the days of flying pickets and power cuts while he’d call everyone out on strike at the drop of a hat

kelvin

And McClusky called for George Galloway to be welcomed back to Labour.

nickc

going all misty-eyed over the days of flying pickets and power cuts while he’d call everyone out on strike at the drop of a hat

And let’s not forget McDonald this morning on Today failing/refusing to give a straight answer about whether they’d try to legislate to allow secondary picketing. Suggesting only that Labour would defend people’s right to withdraw their labour.

johnx2
    Free Member

^^^
    I mean yeah, obviously, to most of the above. Moron? His academic record speaks for itself*… Whatever, I’m sticking a labour poster in the window and hoping the manifesto gets a bit of traction. I’m in a two-way lab tory marginal with an excellent labour MP who has a several hundred majority. Vote Labour or get Boris should be sufficiently compelling to get even the most fastidious/self-indulgent to put their cross where it might actually do something.

*dropped out of north london poly. Not that that necessarily means he’s thick but other data-points are available.

dazh

Suggesting only that Labour would defend people’s right to withdraw their labour.

And quite right too. Striking, or rather the threat of it, is the most powerful tool of the worker to prevent being ****** over by their employers. The reason we have zero hours contracts, pay rates at less than the living wage, and other things working people suffer from is that employers have had carte blanche to do what they like with almost nothing to stop them.

mefty
    Free Member

All expenses on line and not paid without receipt.

As already happens.

Mefty – are you sure they are no longer allowed to claim for buying a house on expenses?

yes

cromolyolly
    Free Member

efty – are you sure they are no longer allowed to claim for buying a house on expenses?

They can still claim interest though, can’t they? So they could take an interest only mortgage, pay nothing, sell property and pocket the gain in price, without having paid a penny in the interim/

mefty
    Free Member

Nope

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Nope

Thank god they closed that loophole. About time. Might explain why Osborne etc flounced out in huff.

mefty
    Free Member

They did it about 10 years ago

raybanwomble
    Free Member

if the working people of Bolton choose brexit over a manifesto that will change their lives then quite frankly they deserve everything they get, and I’ll go and stand next to Rayban in the ‘working class people are idiots’ camp.

DazH, I don’t think it’s just the working class people – it’s just some of them are infected with the same type of thinking as the some of the Tory middle classes. We are Britain, we are exceptional, the people fought two world wars so they know better than everyone else, we deserve better than everyone else, **** experts, swots and education. Etc etc etc

The working classes are just the most obvious case because they are the ones that suffer the most from our own deranged national psyche.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

fadda

I think the conclusion there is simply that Mike needs to read the memos a bit more carefully

tjagain

Mefty – have they now removed the ability to claim for small items without a receipt?

Its still a disgusting fiddle and the amounts some MPs claim are clearly inflated. same as a number are fiddling the “rental only” bit

v8ninety

Did anyone hear the bloke that earns 80k+ get angry about being labelled a member of the top 5% of earners to the point that he actually accused Labour of lying last night in BBCQT? Blatantly got wealth conflated with earnings it seems, and reminded me of a TJ vs the world thread on here a few years ago.

Sad thing was, he got applause for accusing Labour of being liars, and there will be a lot of people who will just remember that. It’s how fake news is born…

binners

He’s an IT consultant apparently.

What he actually said that earning over 80 grand a year put him “nowhere near even being in the top 50% of earners”

He got cheered because, obviously, Everyone earns over 80 grand in Bolton 🙄

dannyh
    Free Member

It is a hell of a trick, though, isn’t it?

I mean, De Pfeffel is actually managing to convince people not to vote for someone who will tax people with more money than they could ever spend and instead make them poorer and have to work harder and longer….TO THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WITH MORE MONEY THAN THEY COULD EVER SPEND.

And he is a philandering, lying, turd who would do or say anything so long as it furthers his ambition or gets his leg over.

Why doesn’t Corbyn just go for the **** jugular? Why doesn’t he shout De Pfeffel down about the suppressed Russian interference report? Why doesn’t he bring up the Arcuri thing over and over again?

You have to play dirty.

benv
    Free Member

Did anyone hear the bloke that earns 80k+ get angry about being labelled a member of the top 5% of earners to the point that he actually accused Labour of lying last night in BBCQT?

Seen it on the BBC website earlier. What kind of roaster thinks £80k a year is less than what half the UK population makes?

He’ll be fainting once he finds out that’ll put him well into the top 1% earners of the world and therefore he is part of the problem. Prick.

hels
    Free Member

I will never vote labour. They won’t even admit to a problem with anti semitism, let alone deal with it. That issue seems to have been lost in all this.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

It is a hell of a trick, though, isn’t it?

I mean, De Pfeffel is actually managing to convince people not to vote for someone who will tax people with more money than they could ever spend and instead make them poorer and have to work harder and longer….TO THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WITH MORE MONEY THAN THEY COULD EVER SPEND.

And he is a philandering, lying, turd who would do or say anything so long as it furthers his ambition or gets his leg over.

Why doesn’t Corbyn just go for the **** jugular? Why doesn’t he shout De Pfeffel down about the suppressed Russian interference report? Why doesn’t he bring up the Arcuri thing over and over again?

You have to play dirty.

Isn’t part of the problem that we don’t tax based on regional living costs? 80k in Bolton is a pretty much a **** tonne of money – 80k in London is still middle class but that can all quite easily disappear even if you are living in a shit box flat. So taxation creates a huge North/South divide in terms of what is and isn’t culturally acceptable.

Maybe the answer is more devolution and more regional taxation and spending power?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You have to play dirty.

Kinder, gentler politics. Innit.

benv
    Free Member

Isn’t part of the problem that we don’t tax based on regional living costs?

I’m confused. Do you want to tax more or less the higher the living costs of the region?

binners

Grandads getting a right grilling on QT.

Nice to get an update on the situation in Bolivia though

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I’m confused. Do you want to tax more or less the higher the living costs of the region?

communities should be able to decide what level of spending and taxation is acceptable to them. It seems to me that some areas could tax and spend more if it weren’t for high cost living areas voting against it. That turns people against each other, I do not see the issue of taxing people based on their purchasing power.

It should be about what is right for the local conditions, if people in one area can afford to pay more tax then they can choose to do so?

benv
    Free Member

Still confused.

I do not see the issue of taxing people based on their purchasing power.

Like having the purchasing power to live in a high cost of living area?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I mean, De Pfeffel is actually managing to convince people not to vote for someone who will tax people with more money than they could ever spend and instead make them poorer and have to work harder and longer….

De Pfeffel? Is that the Flemish princess standing in Middlesbrough for Labour?

No, hang on, that’s Lauren De Thibault De Boesinghe.

anagallis_arvensis

Grandads getting a right grilling on QT.

I thought he was actually very good, although I didnt see it all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice to get an update on the situation in Bolivia though

It’s the talk of every doorstep in Sunderland, didn’t you know?

olddog

It wasn’t Corbyn who brought up Bolivia

Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.