• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • binners

At the risk of unleashing the usual vitriol heaped on the lefties least favourite primary school teacher, she summed up where the two main parties are pretty accurately in her CBI conference speech today

‘With the Tory party in the pocket of Farage and labour stuck in the 1970’s…’

Indeed.

Grandad delivered his speech with his usual enthusiastic vim and vigour

Like a bored middle manager at a photocopier convention telling disinterested telesales staff about his companies latest developments in toner cartridges

Boris was just his usual wiffle-waffle-piffle-paffle

rone

Tories cancelling the corporation tax cut to fund the NHS … But but but lowering the tax rate increases the tax take?

Laugher curve.

rone

‘With the Tory party in the pocket of Farage and labour stuck in the 1970’s…’

Ooof. What was on offer? Business rates turned off. That had been done by the Tories for quite a few years previously.

Did they read the Tory manifesto and make a cordial out of it?

Anything else? Or are you here to impart reviews on the speech cadence of all leaders?

The 1970s thing not accurate either as the Tories are stuck in the 1870s and broadband wasn’t around in the 1970s.

rone

Someone on LBC wants Corbyn to admit he will ‘press the button’ in the event of our ‘defense’.

Doomed.

I’m convinced the electorate just want to pain themselves into oblivion.

rone

Summary of popular polices:

Expensive shit broadband.
    Poor quality health service.
    Increased Crime.
    Less public spending and less services.
    Lower tax and Lower wages.
    No darkies.
    Nuclear War.
    Isolation.
    Homeless left to die.
    Some Trees.
    Cash jobs for mates rates.
    No foreign aid.
    7 day week.
    Speed limited raised to 95.
    Free Union flag.

The Fuxit Party.

binners

We all know what the problems are. They’re glaringly apparent to all. That’s not the issue. The issue is who offers the solutions to them.

The Tory’s under Joris Bohnson and the ERG have offered up the EU as a universal scapegoat for all these things and Brexit as some magical unicorn-based solution and pathway to the sunny uplands.

Labour should have countered this with their own strong alternative narrative. Unfortunately they’re been terminally hamstrung in this, from the off, by the fact the leader of the labour party is a life-long Brexiteer, as are all those around him.

So on the most important issue of the day (on which all other policies are dependent) they are also offering up a magical unicon-based fantasy Brexit as the starting point of their solution, which then, even more laughably they may or may not campaign either for or against (though I’m guessing strongly ‘for’ in grandads case, no matter what version of the May/Johnson deal he comes back with)

As strong counter-narratives go, its not a great starting point, is it?

As their hopeless polling and total failure to make any impact against this far right, incompetent bunch of sociopaths is depressingly proving

boomerlives
    Free Member

Poor quality health service.

The Greens have promised to increase income tax to give more money to the NHS this morning.

I am always infuriated by this; why is the answer to the NHS problem ‘more money’?

If they stopped pissing money away there would be a lot more to spend on sick people. Why does no party want to address that?

molgrips
    Free Member

I am always infuriated by this; why is the answer to the NHS problem ‘more money’?

If they stopped pissing money away there would be a lot more to spend on sick people. Why does no party want to address that?

You think there’s just a dial somewhere marked ‘waste’ that they can turn down, and yet no-one’s thought of it?

Parties do want to address it – in fact, a significant part of the problem is that successive governments have pissed about with the NHS in the name of ‘efficiency’ with badly thought out ideas to grab headlines. The NHS is massive – so improving efficiency is a huge job. So you hire people to help fix it, then you get endless headlines about money wasted on pen pushers. Politicians like to push stuff through because they make vague promises in manifestos, and they end up screwing things up even more.

boomerlives
    Free Member

You think there’s just a dial somewhere marked ‘waste’ that they can turn down, and yet no-one’s thought of it?

There is; it’s marked PFI.

Turn that off and suddenly there’s an extra £5 billion a year.

Red Jezza is all for bringing BT into state ownership, but won’t touch the Blair/Brown money tree.

BJ just doesn’t want to.

kimbers

why is the answer to the NHS problem ‘more money’?

Because the boomers didn’t pay enough tax to support their future healthcare needs

NHS is struggling on many levels , staffing crisis being a huge one, we are utterly dependent on immigrants to fill jobs, but immigrant bashing is a political favourite . Removing bursaries for nurses was a similarly daft bit of austerity that’s seen trainees nurse numbers plummet , costing the NHS even more seeking agency staff from oversees

But austerity & restricting immigration are policies boomers love so …

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2017-06-13/Age-01.png

boomerlives
    Free Member

Because the boomers didn’t pay enough tax to support their future healthcare needs

Didn’t? Shouldn’t that be ‘isn’t’? Is the NHS not funded constantly?

Besides WTF is a boomer? I got my user name from Marc Maron’s cat, now it’s a pejorative term…

binners

Besides WTF is a boomer?

Exact definitions vary, but they’re all definitely worse than Hitler

boomerlives
    Free Member

Well, everything’s worse than Hitler.

Boris, Donald, Nigel…Hitler was just appealing to the electorate

kerley
    Free Member

why is the answer to the NHS problem ‘more money’?

Pretty simple, because it needs more money – straight forward supply and demand.
    The demand is higher than ever due to increased longevity of the population yet funding (supply) has not increased in line with it.

You can either increase the supply to maintain the service of you can under supply and offer a lesser service (per last decade)

Social care should also be added to it as it is the same problem.

cinnamon_girl

Change the bloody record kimbers.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ok Boomer.

kimbers

stevextc
    Free Member

The same would still be true if Labour won.

That’s what happens when both parties diverge away from the centre – you alienate more people and make a few people happier.

True … it’s a bit chicken and egg now with Brexit being used to push through what would normally be unelectable. (IMHO)

binners

I absolutely agree with that. Under normal circumstances (Aaaaah….remember them?) no serious political party would dare go into an election campaign with manifesto’s this laughably unrealistic and packed with such transparently undeliverable and completely unaffordable nonsense.

But the Brexit campaign has shown that you can promise any old shite (which describes both main parties present proposals) and not only will people vote for it, 3 years down the line they still aren’t holding you to account for it.

It seems that in Brexitland you can use emotive, populist bullshit as a cover for pretty much anything. And with both parties as bad as each other, where that does leave the rest of us who can see both of them for what they are?

How on earth did we end up so far through the looking glass that our political system now looks like this?

Tonights ‘debate’ will involve 2 charlatans pedalling 2 contrasting bundles of credulous claptrap

kimbers

cinnamon_girl

Subscriber

Change the bloody record kimbers.

look, I backed up my assertions with some numbers, I know you dont like me CG, but respect the stats!

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2017-06-13/Age-01.png

rone

I absolutely agree with that. Under normal circumstances (Aaaaah….remember them?) no serious political party would dare go into an election campaign with manifesto’s this laughably unrealistic and packed with such transparently undeliverable and completely unaffordable nonsense.

Nope.

Intense Government spending is the only credible way out of the junk we’re in.

It’s not unaffordable by any shot.

Tonights ‘debate’ will involve 2 charlatans pedalling 2 contrasting bundles of credulous claptrap

We won’t bother watching it because you’ve be at your crystal ball again.

Maybe you could peg back your predictions as fact?

If you can’t see the difference between Corbyn and Johnson for the benefit of the nation as whole, then you see nothing.

stevextc
    Free Member

look, I backed up my assertions with some numbers, I know you dont like me CG, but respect the stats!

The stat’s posted say nothing of the sort.
    It just shows that fewer older people voted labour and voted conservative, it doesn’t show WHY.
    It certainly doesn’t cover the droves of labour voters who voted for Brexit … many of whom did so because of their perception of immigration or perhaps due to the Labour position on immigration.
    Nor does it really cover why older people seem to beleive there is no such thing as a free lunch regarding austerity and more puzzling why they thought leaving the EU was a free lunch?

null

kelvin

binners

If you can’t see the difference between Corbyn and Johnson for the benefit of the nation as whole, then you see nothing

I didn’t say that there’s no difference between them. Theres a yawning chasm.

But what they both share is the one essential quality when wanting to be put in power for the next 5 years – the total absence of the slightest shred of credibility when it comes to implementing the glaringly unicorn-based nonsense they’re both presently peddling.

You think either of those idiots are presently putting forward a credible economic position which they truly believe isn’t comically implausible?

They may be planning very different routes to economic calamity, but that’s where both their roads will take us.

My only hope is that neither think they’ll get a majority so they’re promising all kinds knowing they’ll never have to deliver it.

But then we all know what happened the last time someone did that…

jam-bo

i’m mostly puzzled by the 4% of UKIP supporters who voted remain…

kelvin

But the beauty is … promising to increase borrowing to spend on public service hides the fact that both have no choice but to increase borrowing hugely to get us through Brexit. At least with Labour they do have some proper revenue raising plans as well.

stevextc
    Free Member

Nope.

As if to prove the unicorns…. just spend money for the sake of increasing spending and push UK PLC further into debt in some bizarre belief that by increasing our GDP will actually make the people better off.

stevextc
    Free Member

i’m mostly puzzled by the 4% of UKIP supporters who voted remain…

At some point even some UKIP supporters realise sticking a dildo on a donkey isn’t a unicorn.

kelvin

just spend money for the sake of increasing spending

Who is proposing that? I haven’t seen any “just keep people busy” or “build it for the sake of it” proposals from any party. In fact, most of it looks more like “other countries are laughing at us for not already doing that”… although some of it is likely to take much longer than currently proposed/presented (again, for all parties).

stevextc
    Free Member

But the beauty is … promising to increase borrowing to spend on public service hides the fact that both have no choice but to increase borrowing hugely to get us through Brexit. At least with Labour they do have some proper revenue raising plans as well.

I don’t disagree … but had Corbyn got off the fence before the referendum and made it clear that Brexit was a train-crash for the working population we wouldn’t even have this mess.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Even if you spend £100bn on free BB so that the masses can all watch cat videos? Is that justifiable?

Just saying “spend” is another worthless soundbite. You have to spend wisely and well

Which party is setting themselves up to do that?

kelvin

the masses can all watch cat videos

Ok Boomer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Even I’m not sure about the just announced Labour policy to de-list companies who ‘don’t tackle climate change’ from the LSE. Might be a step too far for the current political climate.

rone

As if to prove the unicorns…. just spend money for the sake of increasing spending and push UK PLC further into debt in some bizarre belief that by increasing our GDP will actually make the people better off.

Understand how the money system works… The government spends first and taxes after.

i) Even the most middle-ground Economists agree that given the cost of UK borrowing – that kick starting the economy through rapid investment of infrasturcture would yield huge returns over the medium turn. The Tories failed to capitilise on this. Completely.

ii) Debt as a ratio of GDP is still not anywhere near post-war levels. When – guess what we needed to massively invest in the economy.

Post-World War II debt reduction

iii) A sovereign country that is the sole issuer of its own currency shouldn’t be concerned by debt per se. In fact a country in surplus (which very rarely happens) is a negative in the private sector. I.e No growth.

What did we do in 2008? Yep Q/E and it didn’t affect inflation to any notable degree.

Read Stephanie Kelton, Randall Wray or Richard Murphy.

cinnamon_girl

kimbers, I don’t dislike you and haven’t a clue why you think that, am sorry that you do. Stats can be manipulated every which way depending on what you’re trying to prove. That pic is taken from a small percentage of the population.

To be clear I stopped voting Tory some 20 years ago, on some occasions I haven’t voted and latterly have voted Labour. Yes, I voted for Brexit but that did not mean I in any way supported the Tories. I don’t and loathe everything about them. You must stop believing that all Brexiteers are Tories, it’s often not true.

stevextc
    Free Member

Who is proposing that? I haven’t seen any “just keep people busy” or “build it for the sake of it” proposals from any party. In fact, most of it looks more like “other countries are laughing at us for not already doing that”… although some of it is likely to take much longer than currently proposed/presented (again, for all parties).

It’s simply been extended mileage from the backlash over Tory implemented austerity that itself was a backlash over Labour led overspending …. back and forth with one extreme or the other.

dazh

You think either of those idiots are presently putting forward a credible economic position which they truly believe isn’t comically implausible?

Christ man cheer up! I know we’ve been living under this corrupt upside down system for a long time but you really have been brainwashed by the economic orthodoxy haven’t you? To hear someone like yourself describe the moderate, sensible, investment-led policies that labour propose as ‘unicorns’ and not credible is truly depressing. If you really think this then we might as well all give up.

There really is another way, and it’s not that difficult to achieve given a modicum of political will and vision. It’s been done before in the post-war years, and it can be done again, and it’s not nearly as revolutionary as you think. It does however require people to believe in it, and to fight for it. If we don’t then we only have ourselves to blame.

nickc

Because the two most expensive things the NHS spends money on are drugs and staff, and the cost of drugs is going up, and we have a staffing shortage.

stevextc
    Free Member

iii) A sovereign country that is the sole issuer of its own currency shouldn’t be concerned by debt per se.

There is a world of difference between issuing currency and repaying debt in other currencies.

In fact a country in surplus (which very rarely happens) is a negative in the private sector. I.e No growth.

Once again the narrative goes away from trade deficit and we talk about the govt spending deficit.
    null

sargey

Has anyone seen Diane lately, I haven’t seen much of her during the campaign.
    Is she being kept in a bunker out of harms way or on jezzas allotment planting next years spring crops.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.