• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • Northwind

She’s not deluded. She’s just unscrupulous and innately dishonest. Unlike Johnson she knows the difference between truth and lies, she just doesn’t think it applies to her (Johnson I think really doesn’t know that they’re not the same thing)

(OOB might consider that a personal attack but it’s just a statement of facts. She’s got 0 chance of being PM, and she knows it. Unite For Remain is a whitewash made mostly out of misdirection which is more likely to help the Tories than to hinder them, and she knows that too. She’s a much more competent liar than Johnson but that’s not better.)

outofbreath
    Free Member

She’s just unscrupulous and innately dishonest.

OOB might consider that a personal attack

You think? 😀

Northwind

Yep, that’s why I put the rebuttal in before you even responded.

Or do you think she has a greater than 0% chance of being PM? Do you think that Unite For Remain is a totally legit and well intentioned movement? Do you even think she’s the leader of the biggest remain party?

We shouldn’t be worried about calling liars what they are, that’s just a way for honest people to enable the liars and further devalue the truth.

The really troublesome thing about Swinson’s lib dems, is that the key lies aren’t even productive lies. Unite For Remain’s a joke which could have achieved a lot but instead has as its single most likely outcome one more hard leaver MP. Insisting she can be PM undermines everything else she says since literally nobody believes it, but she’s so committed to that lie that she can’t even take advantage of the opportunities provided by “I will not be PM but we can still achieve a lot” which is where all of her strength really is. She’s limited her own useful options with her own needless, transparent, ineffectual lies.

I’m never a fan of political lies but at least sometimes they’re a means to an end and that’s understandable if not laudable.

bruneep

@scotroutes wrote:

Still, JC showing off his knowledge of Scotland by wearing a tartan scarf. Are his own staff trolling him now?

It a scarf from children’s charity https://www.whocaresscotland.org/

https://www.whocaresscotland.org/who-we-are/media-centre/press-releases/comment-on-jeremy-corbyn-wearing-who-cares-scotlands-tartan-scarf/

binners

I really don’t get all the vitriol aimed at Jo Swinson. She just comes across like a particularly annoying primary school teacher

taxi25
    Free Member

[url=https://postimages.org/]imagehost[/url]

Not looking to defend Pastor Richard, but what about the above isn’t true.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is an Islamic absolute monarchy in which Sunni Islam is the official state religion based on firm Sharia law. No law requires all citizens to be Muslim, but non-Muslims must practice their religion in private and are vulnerable to discrimination and deportation.[1] Children born to Muslim fathers are by law deemed Muslim, and conversion from Islam to another religion is considered apostasy and punishable by death.[

ctk
    Free Member

Not too late to edit taxi

All of it is untrue ffs.

Is Saudi Arabia the only Muslim country?

Do British Muslims disown their kids if they become Christian?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not looking to defend Pastor Richard, but what about the above isn’t true.

Loads.

Talking about ‘all Muslims’ as if they are the same isn’t very clever. I’m not sure you know the first thing about what it is to be Muslim in the modern world.

Even in majority Muslim countries, things vary a lot. I went to Turkey during Ramadan. The staff canteen was a bit less crowded than usual, according to the Turkish people I was eating lunch with (during Ramadan).

That kind of statement comes from ignorance, I’m afraid.

stevextc
    Free Member

All of it is untrue ffs.

Is Saudi Arabia the only Muslim country?

It’s not untrue it’s partially true…. it’s misleading because it is giving an impression perhaps it means ALL …

Saudi is by far not the only Islamic country that punishes conversion by death.
    My ex certainly got disowned for being an atheist… (though she ended up becoming a Jehovas Witness ???)

taxi25
    Free Member

Not too late to edit taxi

All of it is untrue ffs.

Ok if not completely true in every case, lets call it true in many cases.
    Telling me to edit because you disagree with me, isn’t that remarkable arrogance ?

taxi25
    Free Member

In many many cases yes.

nickc

As do many Christian families and Churches (such as the JW and the Plymouth Brethren for instance)

kelvin

She just comes across like a particularly annoying primary school teacher

But she’s the real enemy Binners… catch up. Only a few more weeks left to defeat the LibDems, which must be the goal for all of us, even though it’s handing Johnson seats that he needs… it’s far more important to keep the LibDem seat count down so that we can not be challenged in our role as Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition. Only a few more weeks before Labour can return to the opposition front bench, pure and unsullied by cooperating with yellow Tories and dangerous Scottish separatists. And let’s not even mention those cynical Greens.

Anyone, I really like Corbyn’s scarf… where can I get one the same. The heckler was a grade A plonker.

taxi25
    Free Member

As do many Christian families and Churches (such as the JW and the Plymouth Brethren for instance)

Indeed they might, people disown their children for all manner of reasons, but across the breadth of Christianity you’re far less likely to be disowned for renouncing your faith than in Islam. I’m not going argue about that it’s just a fact.

dissonance

Only a few more weeks left to defeat the LibDems, which must be the goal for all of us

I love the level of projection going on here.
    Swinson has made it clear that she does want to be in a position where she can demand that Labour jump to her wishes which include removing of those who dont suit her ideological aims.
    For some odd reason Labour supporters arent overly keen on having someone with rather right wing tendencies dictating to them who they should have as their leader.
    Hopefully at some stage the Libdems will tell the orange book brigade to piss off so they can return to being a semi reasonable choice.

dissonance

I’m not going argue about that it’s just a fact.

Quality line of argument there.
    However you seem to be admitting that Richards is talking shit?
    To flip it on its head. Do you think it would be fair to say all C of S preachers are complete arseholes? If not why not?

dazh

it’s far more important to keep the LibDem seat count down so that we can not be challenged in our role as Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition

Kelvin I think you’re mistaking us Swinson haters on here for the labour leadership. If you watch the labour campaign, they make almost no mention of the liberal democrats, and are focusing all their attention on the tories, so you have nothing to fear.

Back to the campaign, I was watching the live focus group on the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning, and I was pretty amazed at just how much people have fallen for the anti-Corbyn propaganda. They were mostly positive about labour policies, but when they were asked to describe Johnson and Corbyn as animals, Johnson was described as an Eagle, Lion or Bear, whilst Corbyn a rat, snake and chicken! Now I may be biased but to even the cursory observer out of the two, the untrustworthy and dishonest one is clearly Johnson. Or maybe it’s not the propaganda and just deeply ingrained class deference?

kelvin

If you watch the labour campaign, they make almost no mention of the liberal democrats

Oh, you are funny.

I follow most of the front bench on twitter, and they bang on about them all the time.

Anyway, I was talking about standing aside in key Tory vs LibDem battle grounds. That’s not going to happen. And it needs to for Johnson to be denied those seats.

pretty amazed

How can you be amazed. We had a thread or two on here where we’ve been telling you for years that people who would otherwise vote Labour will not do so while Corbyn is leader as he has no appeal beyond his core support. People do not like Corbyn. You can bang on about why that shouldn’t be the case, but it’s been obvious for at least 18 months. He is a turn off for voters. It’s as plain as day.

I like our local Labour councillors, they talk a lot of sense and do good work, and lots of Labour policies will benefit me and my family directly, but I just can not vote for that man to become PM.

I hear that again and again locally, and I try damn hard to convince people of the benefits of replacing our Tory MP with a Labour MP, and people agree, but then say they still can’t vote Labour because of Corbyn. The man is an albatross around the Labour Party’s neck, and the only real asset Johnson’s has in this campaign.

nickc

I’m not going argue about that it’s just a fact.

Is that one of those facts you can prove, or just one of those other sort of “facts” where you can’t actually prove it, but just “know” it’s true?

dazh

People do not like Corbyn.

I’ve never claimed they don’t. What I’m talking about is why. It’s as clear as day if you take even the most brief interest in it that Corbyn is a decent honest bloke, whilst Johnson is a dishonest, untrustworthy narcissist. Yet people say they prefer Johnson to Corbyn. It’s weird, and like I said perhaps ingrained class deference has something to do with it, or they just don’t want to be ruled by someone who is like them?

kelvin

Who cares why. What do you do about it? Far too late to do the obvious and replace him. You can’t sideline him in the campaign. You can’t turn it into some joint leader/deputy campign, because Watson is doing a runner. What do you do? Keep smiling and press on ‘till the election is out of the way.

ruled by someone who is like them?

When did you last speak to someone who thinks Corbyn is “like them”!? People see him as someone who has made a living out of politics, has never done a days hard work, sleeps around with other politicians, a middle class layabout who dresses like a comedy poor man, someone jumps to the defence of Russia & Iran when no one else does… they see him as alien.

dazh

What do you do about it?

What they did last time, and what they’re doing now. Cut through the lies by getting him in front of as many people as possible either in person or in the media so they can start to see with their own eyes that what they’ve been told and what they think of him is untrue. It doesn’t really matter who the leader is, they’d get the same treatment from the media. Look at Miliband, and Brown before him. They only ever supported Blair because he was a tory 😉

You can’t turn it into some joint leader/deputy campign

But they have done that. There’s a reason Rayner is playing a very prominent role in this campaign, along side McDonnell.

molgrips
    Free Member

In many many cases yes.

There are many cases of people, including Christians and atheists being complete dicks. But I don’t go around saying ‘atheists are dicks’ or ‘Christians are dicks’. The reason your comments are racist is that you are taking an example of dickish behaviour and reasoning that, because the people happen to be Muslim, that they are behaving badly specifically because they are Muslims – therefore insinuating that Muslims are bad people. This is a terrible road to go down, it really is.

molgrips
    Free Member

When did you last speak to someone who thinks Corbyn is “like them”!?

I reckon I’m quite like him. Rational, thoughtful, reasonable, not that good at politics and people miss his points a lot.

kelvin

Dazh… the Rayner stuff is playing well… it has to be said. Repeating 2017 will be an uphill struggle though… people won’t suddenly ignore two years of Corbyn turning them away/off… we’re not in the same situation as 2017… Johnson is the new radical leader now, not Corbyn, as maddeningly messed up as that is.

kimbers

My colleague went to a wedding with both christian & islamic ceremonies a few weeks ago !!!

im not sure that anyone got dis-owned by their families, she said it was a great weekend

the minister just sounds like a bigoted dick to me, surprised anyone would agree with him

kelvin

The only inter-faith marriage I know of that caused family disownment involved a Sikh woman. Not sure what this has to do with this thread. I know lots of Muslims married to non-Muslims… never heard of any issues.

[Everyone in these pointless anecdotes is voting Labour – I even had a heated drunken debate with my Sikh friend’s husband at another wedding, where he was trying to get me to vote Labour when Miliband was leader, despite the mugs and Edstone nonsense trying to use immigration as a campaign tool … he was right, I should have.]

So… where can I buy that scarf?

dissonance

So… where can I buy that scarf?

Email the charity and see if they sell them?

kelvin

kelvin

Oh good, Len the Lexit hero has stuck his oar in to say we should keep foreign doctors and nurses out. Thanks Len.

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, I think I’m up to double figures in people who have said to me in a real, yes you can actually still get those, conversation that they would vote Labour if it wasn’t for Grandpa.

These are conversations that strayed onto politics as a topic.

These are fairly apolitical ‘normal’ people.

The sort of people who are really pissed off about Brexit, can see why it is a terrible idea, but still can’t hold their noses strongly enough to vote Labour whilst Grandpa is in charge.

Let the attacks commence on this post, but it doesn’t stop it being true.

dazh

but still can’t hold their noses strongly enough to vote Labour whilst Grandpa is in charge.

Like I keep saying. People get the government they deserve. This one point is the only thing that keeps me sane to be honest. Until the people at large start politicising themselves and looking beyond what the media (and it is mostly the media) tells them then nothing will change, no matter who leads the labour party.

Fast forward a few years, and if Rayner is leader (as I’m sure she will be), and it will be a whole load of stuff about how she wants to hand power to the chavs from the estates, the fact she’s got ginger hair and a bit of a lisp, and whatever other bollocks they think they can throw at her. The only people who can change this are the people who believe it.

molgrips
    Free Member

The sort of people who are really pissed off about Brexit, can see why it is a terrible idea, but still can’t hold their noses strongly enough to vote Labour whilst Grandpa is in charge.

That ordinary people think that Boris is in any way a viable alternative is quite horrifying. You’re voting to put hundreds of thousands if not millions of people through hell. Don’t do it.

dissonance

but still can’t hold their noses strongly enough to vote Labour whilst Grandpa is in charge.

Do they have a coherent supporting argument for this or do they just come out with the hilarious magic grandpa comments?
    My guess is most of them would only vote Labour if it veered far enough right that they managed to please the press barons.
    None of which is particularly good for having a functional political system.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Fast forward a few years, and if Rayner is leader (as I’m sure she will be), and it will be a whole load of stuff about how she wants to hand power to the chavs from the estates, the fact she’s got ginger hair and a bit of a lisp

Kier Starmer. Won’t be accused of wanting to hand power to the chavs from the estates, Non-ginger, decent orator.

that scarf?

Wins my wholehearted approval.

kelvin

Blame “the people” all you want… I blame Corbyn for treating the 2017 failure as a win, and not moving on then. It’s literally everyone else’s fault apart from his with some people, isn’t it.

Anyway… vote to get Johnson out.
    If that means Labour in your seat, do it. Please.

rone

I really don’t get all the vitriol aimed at Jo Swinson. She just comes across like a particularly annoying primary school teacher

That’s because your not analysing her position as critically as you do magic grandad’s.

In all seriousness we all take sides and it’s clearly going to get uncomfortable for the people that have faith with the libdemos to realise (quite slowly) they’re not as wholesome as they thought they were.

dissonance

Blame “the people” all you want

What is this need to decide what someone thought and then announce they are wrong? You seem to have a real habit of doing so.

It’s literally everyone else’s fault apart from his with some people, isn’t it.

No its not. Try harder. I am sure you can manage it with some help.

binners

Len McClusky is the most devastatingly effective voter-repellent ever deployed.

Can someone not kidnap him and lock him in a shed for the next 6 weeks?

He’s a ****ing liability!

rone

On radio (Let’s Blame Corbyn) today it was saying that in some Brexity flood areas (like mine) that people were making the connection between lack of resources and the Tories.

Maybe God is having the last laugh.

Jokes aside, it will have an impact.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.