• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • stevextc
    Free Member

tjagain

Stevextc – got any evidence to back your assertions on the NHS? Or do you now I have give you the numbers accept that poor NHS performance is down to the tories underfunding and waste on the fake market?

Labour had 10 years, it’s disingenuous to pretend the whole blame lies with the Tory’s… or at least we expect that from the Tory’s but 10- years losing a billion a year on procurement?

http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/nhs_procurement_waste_costs_1_billion_a_year_979820

Labour created the NHS IT project wasting billions (£12.4Bn) before it was abandoned…which was ultimately screwed before it started by procurement.

kimbers

I’m not sure that outsourcing call centres for the NHS & GPs to india as that link suggests stevextc will be a popular move even if it were to save money

kimbers

Meanwhile polls show bxp collapse & Tories streaking ahead.

Lib dem efforts to unseat Tories in SW & other areas hit as hard as labour in their seats Tories are targeting.

100 seat Tory majority, WTO Brexit 1st Jan 2021

dissonance

but 10- years losing a billion a year on procurement?

Well you would need to look at how private hospitals do for that really to mean anything.
    Although, that said, it is a good example of how the fetishising of “competition” and “choice” by both new Labour and the tories shine through. The “savings” are being shown between trusts created to break up the central NHS.

I’m not sure that outsourcing call centres for the NHS & GPs to india as that link suggests stevextc will be a popular move even if it were to save money

There is also the question does it really save money? After all this is government money not a business.
    If a business moves a call centre to India then once redundancy is done they no longer need to worry about those workers. For the government unless its high employment in that area then its ongoing unemployment costs.

Del

Did Labour waste money in the NHS when they were in charge? Undoubtedly. It would be pretty surprising to run an organisation of that size without wasting money somewhere. Meanwhile, after a few years of Tory rule, waiting lists skyrocket, a&e targets abandoned, and a major source of labour, desperately needed, the eu, effectively cut off. Bravo.

filibuster
    Free Member

Have registered to vote by proxy.

Will put my trust in my sister to put a X next to the lib dems or Labour, which ever makes most sense to keep the tories out. However, with the tories winning over 53%, Labour with 29% and the lib dems only 15% of the vote last time round I’m not full of hope.

ctk
    Free Member

NHS losing a billion a year in procurement because they pay different prices for things is a bit glass half empty isn’t it? How has that figure been arrived at?

I bought some Carrots reduced to 10p at the end of the night in the Coop- does that mean I’m losing 49p every time I buy them full price from now on?

stevextc
    Free Member

kerley

It’s only one way that they can procure cheaper.. the big one is simply removing their preferred suppliers and paying market value or below through bulk buying.

HOWEVER … yes outsourcing would be unpopular in some terms but equally a different metric might be the difference between being able to get a GP’s appointment and not.

Our surgery (6 GP’s) no longer takes phone bookings in practice… you go at 07:30 to 08:00 and queue whilst the doors open then they allocate available slots. The phone isn’t answered throughout. If you don’t get an appointment you go back earlier the next day.

Even before they implemented this new scheme they had this for Monday’s…
    Going back years they refused to take appointments beyond 2 weeks…. we used to get letters from the health visitor that we hadn’t booked an appointment… (even though she obviously knew they wouldn’t make them???)
    (More incremental waste)

Anyway … back to what I was saying …
    I TOTALLY expect the Tory’s to cost cut the NHS to and beyond the bone… it’s what they do.
    The point really is Labour did invest but failed to do some unpleasant things that needed doing…
    I’m not saying outsourcing is necessary … I’m saying that scaling back expectations of free at the point of need needs to be scaled back to something recognisable by Bevan.

molgrips
    Free Member

The average gap between Labour and Tories is narrowing.

Labour had 10 years, it’s disingenuous to pretend the whole blame lies with the Tory’s

There will always be **** ups and bad projects and money wasted. But the Tories are ideologically opposed to the idea of the NHS, they don’t like it; whereas Labour support it. That should give you an idea of the direction they will take the NHS and the country.

stevextc
    Free Member

NHS losing a billion a year in procurement because they pay different prices for things is a bit glass half empty isn’t it? How has that figure been arrived at?

I bought some Carrots reduced to 10p at the end of the night in the Coop- does that mean I’m losing 49p every time I buy them full price from now on?

Carrot’s are not regulated and come from different places with different qualities.
    Pharmacuticals however are … not so it’s like buying something like let’s say a Shimano (or SRAM) chain. (since this is STW lets say both get chains made by KMC)

Not only are specific products chemically identical but they are produced in the exact same facility. (You can even check this because there is a code on the packaging)

NHS procurement though specifies which “preferred suppliers” and even which suppliers for which products and despite being a HUGE buyer often pays more and often many times more.

stevextc
    Free Member

There will always be **** ups and bad projects and money wasted. But the Tories are ideologically opposed to the idea of the NHS, they don’t like it; whereas Labour support it. That should give you an idea of the direction they will take the NHS and the country.

I don’t disagree at all…..
    However what this underlies is the philosophy of spending for the sake of spending because it is somehow viewed as “good” regardless of our trade deficit.

If we had a net positive then sure… spend, create jobs and distribute but when the trade deficit is negative for any length of time borrowing is not an answer.

frankconway

Public sector procurement could and should be much better but part of the problem is the insistence on candidates having OJEU experience in clear preference to significant private sector commercial experience.
    OJEU comprises a set of rules; if you can read, you can follow them.
    Private sector commercial experience is hard won and transferable but the public sector attaches little value to it.
    How do I know? 35 years in procurement, last 15 at senior level; some interim roles in public sector with one of them close to an NHS trust; public sector procurement roles refer to commercial experience but will always take OJEU in preference; challenge is resisted.
    The consequence is that recruitment brings in ‘more of the same’ and nothing changes.

jet26
    Free Member

Biggest NHS issue in short term is staff. Which won’t be fixed by money although more funding not a bad thing.

Stuff gets cancelled increasingly regularly due to lack of staff, and there are increasing rates of vacant posts which can’t be recruited to. Reasons for that probably vary from region to region (although some common ground)

No amount of money will help if you can’t get any staff

dissonance

despite being a HUGE buyer often pays more and often many times more.

The NHS isnt a “HUGE buyer” though. The NHS is several smaller buyers in order to meet ideological requirements.

However what this underlies is the philosophy of spending for the sake of spending because it is somehow viewed as “good” regardless of our trade deficit.

I think you are reading things in here which dont actually exist.

dazh

Libdems are shooting themselves in the foot with this Canterbury thing. I get the whole thing about them needing to be anti-labour to pick up tory seats, but this betrays their true intentions. They’re more interested in beating labout than they are the tories.

kelvin

Agreed, LibDems need to stand down in seats where doing so will help keep a seat out of Johnson’s hands… but that brings me back to SO DO LABOUR.

rone

Not going to deny they’re ahead but I don’t think that’s the whole picture.

ferrals
    Free Member

Libdems are shooting themselves in the foot with this Canterbury thing. I get the whole thing about them needing to be anti-labour to pick up tory seats, but this betrays their true intentions.

They’re more interested in beating labout than they are the tories

I agree, its a bit of a mess but I don’t think it’s simply wanting to beat labour. I think they feel the need to be seen as a viable 3rd party with a chance of dozens of seats (I dont think they are) and so stnaidng down to help labour doesnt fit that message. I’m a natural liberal voter but their recnet behaviour is putting me off. Not that it makes a difernece to this election as I am in a labour-tory marginal with a good labour MP.

kelvin

In a Labour-Tory marginal I’d vote for a bad Labour MP at this election! I think lots of past Tory voters would do the same, with a different Labour leader… but hey… that’s the next snap election. I hope lots of voters who’d otherwise vote LibDem will vote Labour if Labour can beat the Conservatives in their seat… whatever it takes to prevent, or limit, Johnson’s majority.

martinhutch

Funnily enough, my local LibDems withdrew their candidate in a deal with the Greens in 2017. I wasn’t greatly impressed, even though my vote was probably going to Labour anyhow. I’d rather potential Liberal and Labour voters were given a full range of choices with the idea of tactical voting pushed hard rather than potentially alienated by offering them only parties they wouldn’t normally vote for, which in turn increases the chance of non-turnout.

kimbers

Not going to deny they’re ahead but I don’t think that’s the whole picture.

polls since BXP stand down announcement show a 1-3% rise for the Tories since then, Labur were making headway before that

http://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/

kimbers

Carrot’s are not regulated and come from different places with different qualities.
    Pharmacuticals however are … not so it’s like buying something like let’s say a Shimano (or SRAM) chain. (since this is STW lets say both get chains made by KMC)

Not only are specific products chemically identical but they are produced in the exact same facility. (You can even check this because there is a code on the packaging)

NHS procurement though specifies which “preferred suppliers” and even which suppliers for which products and despite being a HUGE buyer often pays more and often many times more.

That article you linked to is very wide ranging in its claims about £1bn a year, if its including sacking 10s of 1000s of receptionists & outsourcing to call centres as well as everything from ambulances to rubber gloves.

NICE do a pretty good job of negotiating lower drug prices, 3-4x lower than USA for same drugs, especially good at newer medicines, but less good at off-patent generics (one reason any USA trade deal will have the USA insisting we pay US drug companies more)

It is hard to change anything in the NHS, having had some invovlement in updating cancer treatment guidelines doctors/NHS (rightly or worngly) can be hard to change

and dont get me started on ethics regulation for research using human material, I might actually explode

rone

polls since BXP stand down announcement show a 1-3% rise for the Tories since then, Labur were making headway before that

Maybe but as I’ve said lots of times the electorate can’t vote any more for the Tories in the consitutencies that the BXP have stood down in than they can in 2017.

molgrips
    Free Member

However what this underlies is the philosophy of spending for the sake of spending because it is somehow viewed as “good”

No-one wants to spend money and not get anything for it. That’s a ludicrous assertion, not even politicians are that stupid. There is a caveat though – if you spend money on something that no-one needs, but you spend money within your own economy, then the money doesn’t disappear, it’s redistributed amongst the population where hopefully it’ll get spent again within the economy. See Apollo Moon landings. But this requires care, otherwise it’ll end up off-shore in someone else’s pockets who doesn’t need it.

If we had a net positive then sure… spend, create jobs and distribute but when the trade deficit is negative for any length of time borrowing is not an answer.

You borrow to invest and make more money. Ask any business owner.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Rafael behr usually gets my attention and writes this on a lab/LD pact:

As for the notion that Labour and Lib Dems should come to a grand accommodation, it is as old as it is infertile. They are old rivals from different traditions with grudges at every level from the Commons chamber to council by-election.

Even if individuals in certain seats could set bygones aside, at national level Jo Swinson needs support from liberal Tories who abhor Corbynism every bit as much as Brexit nationalism. Swinson cannot afford to give the faintest hint of formal collaboration with Labour under its current leader. Besides, there would be scant reciprocation. When Labour activists call for an alliance, what they tend to mean is that the Lib Dems should admit the folly of their existence, shut up and dock with the big red mothership of all political virtue. It is not as persuasive a pitch as some on the left seem to think

kelvin

When Labour activists call for an alliance, what they tend to mean is that the Lib Dems should admit the folly of their existence, shut up and dock with the big red mothership of all political virtue.

^^^ this

I want LibDems and Labour to stand aside in a handful of obvious seats to try and deny Johnson his majority. Expecting the national LibDem Party to do so without any reciprocation from Labour is naive… but I still want them to, we still need them to… worry about what do to about an inwards looking Labour Party after denying Johnson his majority.

boomerlives
    Free Member

To discuss the NHS squandering £Billions and not mentioning PFI is disingenuous

A Tory idea seized by Blair/Brown to keep huge amounts of lending effectively off the books

And saddled pretty much every Trust with massive unsustainable costs for 30 years or so

I don’t think either Red or Blue can look back on that with pride. Which is probably why neither side mentions it

stevextc
    Free Member

No-one wants to spend money and not get anything for it. That’s a ludicrous assertion, not even politicians are that stupid. There is a caveat though – if you spend money on something that no-one needs, but you spend money within your own economy, then the money doesn’t disappear, it’s redistributed amongst the population where hopefully it’ll get spent again within the economy. See Apollo Moon landings. But this requires care, otherwise it’ll end up off-shore in someone else’s pockets who doesn’t need it.

You borrow to invest and make more money. Ask any business owner.

Apollo was done at a time the US had a staggeringly huge positive trade.

You borrow, invest, MAKE MONEY, PAY INTEREST and PAY BACK…. the only way we can pay back is if we have +ve money coming in. The last time that happened in a month was 1989….

After a quarter or even a year as the interest mounts and you borrow more just to pay interest at some point it should have been obvious that borrowing our way out of debt wasn’t working, let alone a decade.

stevextc
    Free Member

To discuss the NHS squandering £Billions and not mentioning PFI is disingenuous

A Tory idea seized by Blair/Brown to keep huge amounts of lending effectively off the books

And saddled pretty much every Trust with massive unsustainable costs for 30 years or so

I don’t think either Red or Blue can look back on that with pride. Which is probably why neither side mentions it

I’m not trying to be dis-ingenious…. I simply expect that from the Tory’s….

toby

Lib Dem candidate has stood down in Canterbury

I will be interested to see if any Labour candidates make similar personal decisions to step down in marginals.

Edit should have said: Be interesting to see if any other candidates make similar decisions – seems a reasonable way to move forward without the national parties losing any face.

tjagain

Of course they could do a deal. Labour and tories did in Scotland against the snp

binners

In the latest instalment of this election campaign that is increasingly looking like its on acid…Jeremy Corbyn heckled as ‘terrorist sympathiser’ by Church of Scotland minister outside Glasgow campaign rally

dissonance

In the latest instalment of this election campaign that is increasingly looking like its on acid…

People have been pulling up his tweets. Comes across as a lovely man of the cloth.
    Somewhat surprising he is C of S and not one of the more nutty churches.

dazh

People have been pulling up his tweets.

Indeed. Being heckled by an overt racist  and homophobe is no bad thing.

scotroutes

Still, JC showing off his knowledge of Scotland by wearing a tartan scarf. Are his own staff trolling him now?

Northwind

dazh

Subscriber

Libdems are shooting themselves in the foot with this Canterbury thing. I get the whole thing about them needing to be anti-labour to pick up tory seats, but this betrays their true intentions. They’re more interested in beating labout than they are the tories.

Same as with the Unite for Remain pact, it’s just that this is even more blatant. It’s more and more unavodable that their only goal is to be 4th in a Tory-led country but with a few more seats. I don’t just mean “only thing they’re working on”, I mean literally the only thing they can imagine as a goal for their party.

binners

Scarfy McScarface?

dazh

I mean literally the only thing they can imagine as a goal for their party.

Strange isn’t it that Swinson says she thinks she can be PM, yet her actions say that she thinks the best she can hope for is a few more MPs and the possiblity of Johnson or Corbyn begging her for help. Of course there is always the possiblity that Swinson is as deluded in real life as she appears in public. From what I’ve seen of her I wouldn’t be too surprised.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Of course there is always the possiblity that Swinson is as deluded in real life as she appears in public. From what I’ve seen of her I wouldn’t be too surprised.

Judging by the number of personal attacks, it’s not just Swinson who thinks the Libdems are going to do *very* well in this election. 😀

binners

and the possiblity of Johnson or Corbyn begging her for help.

But that outcome is surely the most likely? The chances of anyone having an overall majority isn’t a high one, is it?

And I doubt the Lib Dems will be mugged again like they were by Dave. Especially having just watched the DUP show them how its done. There’s the opportunity here to wield a totally disproportionate amount of influence for the amount of seats they’ll get. And I certainly hope they use it to make Brexit less Brexity

Hardly deluded, is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.