• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,081 through 6,120 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

If the unions hadn’t got the wrong Milliband elected the right Milliband would still be PM today, and there wouldn’t have been a referendum.

+1.

13thfloormonk

Do you think leaving the EU will overcome that defecit?

I voted no because I didn’t want to be out of the EU, it was a big part of the campaign and something that the SNP were unable to reassure us on adequately. Now it’s irrelevant, we’re out!

It wasn’t the only thing, remember the concerns about the oil running out and rumours that the Tories were sitting on the knowledge of a big new field being discovered? Guess what was in the news the very next day after IndyRef? That’s right! Guess what guys, the oil isn’t running out!

I don’t want to get into an argument about oil though (it obviously is running out in the grand scheme). Point being, a lot of things which might have scared moderate voters away from a YES vote have since been rendered moot, or shown to be project fear. I’ll vote Yes this time simply to be shot of the toxic wasteland that is Westminster.

13thfloormonk

also I wish the SNP had the guts to just say ‘why should we present an economic case for independence, where was the proven economic case for Brexit?’

They get held to an impossibly high standard, remember the white paper they issued for IndyRef1, which got debated in forensic detail? Where was the Brexit equivalent? A slogan on a ****ing bus?

outofbreath
    Free Member

also I wish the SNP had the guts to just say ‘why should we present an economic case for independence, where was the proven economic case for Brexit?’

They could, but if they did presumably everyone would vote remain.

As an Indy leaver would you want a deal with the UK or are you happy to leave the UK with no deal?

Would you rule out leaving the UK if no good deal was offered? If so what’s to stop the UK refusing to offer a reasonable deal and maintaining the union that way?

epicyclo

This election was really England’s independence campaign.

Now they have it it’s time they got out of that other union and stopped subsidising all those whining Scots. 🙂

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Personally I would be sorry to see Scotland, NI or Wales leave the United Kingdom. My father (now dead) was Scottish and I still have a lot of relatives up there and spent many happy holidays there in my youth, less so in recent years. I have always thought of myself as British and apart from the odd football match have never really rooted for England and have always supported the home countries against foreign opposition.

I’ve never really understood the fervent hate of the English that I sometimes see from Scottish or Irish quarters apart from the obvious historical background that should be overcome by now surely? As far as I can see all political assemblies have a toxic element that goes with the constant struggle (and abuse) of power. What makes anyone think that Scotland will be a bed of roses if they gain independance and control of the North sea oil etc. etc?

You don’t think Nicola Sturgeon just wants a little bit more power?

perchypanther
    Free Member

You don’t think Nicola Sturgeon just wants a little bit more power?

Of course she does. She’s a politician.

I’d be happy to give it to  her as, in my opinion, she’s already demonstrated the ability to wield it responsibly.

We’re now  facing a decade of financial uncertainty with the impending Bosri Brexit that’s never been costed and with no trade deals in place.

Given the absolute inevitability of this chaos  i’d rather  be on an Indy Scotland chaos bus that she was driving rather than a UK chaos bus that Boris is blindly steering while someone else whispers directions in his ear.

epicyclo

forzafkawl

What makes anyone think that Scotland will be a bed of roses if they gain independance and control of the North sea oil etc. etc?

It won’t be, but we will be voting for the politicians who make the bed, instead of getting the ones another country choses.

That’s the whole point of independence.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It won’t be, but we will be voting for the politicians who make the bed, instead of getting the ones another country choses.

Groundhog day.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

“Another country” – That just about says it all, you lot must get indoctrinated in school with this nonsense.

crazy-legs

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/13/jeremy-corbyn-labour-manifesto-antisemitism-brexit

Sums up some of the comments above and reflects on what was perceived (rightly or wrongly) complete dithering over Brexit.

13thfloormonk

I’ve never really understood the fervent hate of the English that I sometimes see from Scottish

Knuckledraggers, that’s all. I don’t hate the English at all.

“Another country” – That just about says it all, you lot must get indoctrinated in school with this nonsense.

We all get educated about a period in history when we were another country, a border of sorts still exists, our flag still exists, we still have a football team, technically we have our own currency (one which is occasionally not even accepted south of the border) in fact, many of the usual indicators of ‘country’ status still exist. Politically we are obviously very different from everybody south of the border, see 48 SNP seats. So semantics aside, why shouldn’t we consider ourselves another country?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been watching the BBC review of the election all morning, there has been some very interesting points of view (as you’d expect)

One thing is for certain is that Jeremy seems to have been a very large part of the Labour collapse.. and thats fine to say after the event. But the consensus does seem to steer towards HIM being the problem. Which makes me question why so many Labour members have voted and supported him throughout the last few years. If the underground feeling is such that your supporters don’t back you, then where is the sense of leadership? Typically the comments form the Labour party MP’s are “we will reflect and understand the deltas” and yes you certainly have some time to reflect now… I’d suggest you review the whole Party and it’s ideals whilst you are there because from the comments of voters and supporters it’s clear they didn’t support the leader.

It was nice to hear the editor of the Times simply and clearly define Lyingblohards position of a committed liar and deceiver. On public TV thats a fairly healthy statement to make, and these people publish political comments and report on MP’s daily.

We do have lyingblohards swagger to look forward to, there will be no stopping his arrogance and belligerence now. And I just don’t get why the UK have voted for such a vile person… which simply falls back to the position of they must like his arrogance or wish to emulate it in some way.

That’s a very sad position the UK finds itself IMO.

And me out of the thread.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And if anyone needs any further proof that Corbyn is an authoritarian ideological dullard who would rather be right in his own world than win….

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/13/jeremy-corbyn-very-sad-at-election-defeat-but-feels-proud-of-manifesto

Jeremy Corbyn has said he is very sad at the election result and suggested he will step down in the early part of next year, but insisted he has “pride in the manifesto”.

The Labour leader gave a short statement in which he did not apologise to the 60 Labour MPs who lost their seats or acknowledge any responsibility for the party suffering its worst result since 1935

perchypanther
    Free Member

Which makes me question why so many Labour members have voted and supported him throughout the last few years.

Because Labour Party Members and Labour Voters are not always the same thing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never really understood the fervent hate of the English that I sometimes see from Scottish or Irish quarters apart from the obvious historical background that should be overcome by now surely?

The same reason (albeit less severe these days) that white people don’t get racism and men don’t get feminism.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Take back control!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Utter shite Molly, it’s not the same at all.

There’s little or no anti English nonsense up here, it’s a remnant of a by gone era.

BruceWee

Take back control!

Exactly, over how taxes are raised and spent. Over which wars we choose to participate in. In how we choose to react to the climate crisis. Over how we treat the most vulnerable in society through our social care system. Over whether we want nuclear weapons.

These are all areas that are, to a greater or lesser extent, controlled by Westminster and which will always make it impossible for Scotland to decide it’s own destiny.

Now ask a Brexiteer the same question and tell them they aren’t allowed to mention bananas.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Surely Boris must realise letting Scotland leave basically removes 50 opposition seats and will pretty much stop any other party ever getting elected again apart from the Cons?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

The same reason (albeit less severe these days) that white people don’t get racism and men don’t get feminism.

Well speak for obviously superior self molgrips. I think you mean some white people and some men. Dealing in absolute generalisations is what is wrong with the majority of this forum.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Surely Boris must realise letting Scotland leave basically removes 50 opposition seats and will pretty much stop any other party ever getting elected again apart from the Cons?

Hard to argue with that. Lets do it.

Cougar

I’ve never really understood the fervent hate of the English that I sometimes see from Scottish or Irish quarters apart from the obvious historical background that should be overcome by now surely?

I’ve never really understood the fervent hate of the Germans that I sometimes see from English quarters apart from the obvious historical background that should be overcome by now surely?

But the consensus does seem to steer towards HIM being the problem. Which makes me question why so many Labour members have voted and supported him throughout the last few years.

But the consensus does seem to steer towards HIM being the problem. Which makes me question why so many Labour members have voted and supported him throughout the last few years.

Because, as an ironic mirror of brexit itself, the problem isn’t really Jeremy Corbyn. The problem is people’s perception of Jeremy Corbyn. For all the reasons that have been cited on STW previously, I’d suggest that most people who have been posting on this thread and the Other One are way more politically engaged than the vast majority of the electorate. We simply aren’t representative of the whole.

Someone was telling me yesterday afternoon, a lot of people where she worked hadn’t made their minds up yet how they were going to vote later that day. Just how disconnected can you be?

We might spend ages combing through articles looking for things like previous voting history but we’re atypical, for many voters what they know about JC comes from very carefully filtered and heavily biased “news” articles from places like the Daily Mail.

This is perhaps why Labour weren’t in much of a hurry to replace JC. Simply put, it wouldn’t have made any difference. Because if they’d elected, oh I don’t know, Hugh Grant as leader, you can bet your bottom dollar that the following day the Express would be rerunning the story of him receiving horatio in a lay-bay.

This entire shitstorm, from the referendum result to yesterday’s election, is nothing more than a propaganda war. One which we are losing, badly.

BoardinBob

Scotland and England are two different countries, whether you like it or not.

kerley
    Free Member

If I was Scottish or lived in Scotland I would want independence from the Tory UK. Scottish people clearly wants different things which is why they vote in the SNP and before that Labour whereas most of England votes in the Tories.
    It would be my main reason for moving to Scotland, it clearly wouldn’t be the weather…

cromolyolly
    Free Member

is nothing more than a propaganda war. One which we are losing, badly.

That is the fascinating thing to me. The right and centre right have adopted lynton Crosby’s advice – pick a simple phrase, with or without any real meaning (preferably without, so that it can’t be scrutinized) repeat ad nauseum. Say nothing else. Win

They win because it works and yet others don’t simply adopt it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scottish people clearly wants different things which is why they vote in the SNP

Hang on, hang on. We don’t know how many English people would have voted for a party like the SNP, because there wasn’t one available with critical mass of support.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

there wasn’t one available with critical mass of support.

It wouldn’t be the same anyway. Regional nationalist parties only really work in demographically and geographically minority areas which can survive on a single theme.

An English nationalist party would have a totally different appeal.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hang on, hang on. We don’t know how many English people would have voted for a party like the SNP, because there wasn’t one available with critical mass of support.

BNP, UKIP, Brexit party. Take your pick.

BoardinBob

molgrips
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be the same anyway. Regional nationalist parties only really work in demographically and geographically minority areas which can survive on a single theme.

Yeah probably. The SNP has the advantage of being Scottish in an English dominated world. Post-indy you’d end up with the same rival factions throwing shit at each other the same as any other country, but being forced to work together for the sake of PR. Plus as centrists the SNP would continue to offer a votable party because they’ve already earned their credibility.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/corbyn-to-reflect-on-what-pss-off-you-beardy-red-****-could-possibly-mean-20191213191793

Damnit! The swear filter buggers the link

So I’ll give you an excerpt –

“I still think ‘Go and die, Obi Wan ****nuts’ could well mean ‘your manifesto is hugely popular and you’re the man for us’. If given the correct Marxist reading.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Daft sod.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips

Subscriber
    Scottish people clearly wants different things which is why they vote in the SNP

Lets not pretend this election was about policies, boris presented nothing, still no idea what he’s going to do.

It was an election based on personality and a shit slogan. Get brexit done…Which seems to work..

Del

I distinctly remember sturgeon saying that this election wasn’t about Scottish independence before it happened. Funny how quickly things change.

slowoldman

It was an election based on personality and a shit slogan. Get brexit done…

Which is a policy and one which a large portion of the electorate wants. Judging from the referendum and GE results somewhere between 46% and 52% want it. But with FPTP even 46% is a “majority”. Remove Brexit (hypothetically) from the election and I reckon even with Corbyn in charge Labour would have come out of this quite well. There’s no way they would have lost the likes of Bassetlaw and Bolsover.

Anyway, it begs the question I asked weeks ago, why on Earth did they think it was a good idea to agree to an election?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And if anyone needs any further proof that Corbyn is an authoritarian ideological dullard who would rather be right in his own world than win….

Erm… Having an ideaology is a good thing in a politician. Its not just about winning, it’s about winning to effect policy which aligns with that ideaology. If people reject that, you don’t just change your mind about what you think is right! It’s called principles

5thElefant
    Free Member

Erm… Having an ideaology is a good thing in a politician. Its not just about winning, it’s about winning to effect policy which aligns with that ideaology. If people reject that, you don’t just change your mind about what you think is right! It’s called principles

It is about winning. If you don’t win it’s because what you have to offer isn’t what people want. In a democracy a politicians job is to do what the people want.

Ideology is for dictators.

slackalice
    Free Member

Re Sturgeon/snp – I think I heard this morning that the vote for the snp was 45% of the total Scottish vote, if so, it’s not really a clear mandate for anything particularly useful is it? Apart from possibly a lot of disaffected voters doing a tactical thing rather than wanting to claim independence?

What would happen if indyref2 duplicated the result of the first? I know that tenacity and perseverance are very good words and attributes but really? Do 40 odd % of Scottish voters really believe Germany will have enough money left for more EU development grants?

@bikebuoy – crap flounce dude 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 6,081 through 6,120 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.